HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

[PHX/SJ] Raffi Torres to SJ for 3rd round pick (2013)

Old
04-03-2013, 04:38 PM
Plowevelski
wuts this SCF thing?

vCash: 500
Has anyone mentioned yet Torres had some clutch moments in the STANLEY CUP FINAL series and had the Canucks not lost game 7 would have been well remembered for his contributions during that run? I sure do because I was bitter as hell about him succeeding.

As a Sharks fan who will never forget the 2006 hit or the other scumbaggery I cannot stand him. He and Perry are about equal in my book of hate, but if he wants to turn it around, play fast, physical, and be a force on our team without trying to kill people I'll have to stomach it and hope for the best this year.

Plowevelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:47 PM
GoGoSharks

We were going to lose Clowe and Murray this offseason anyways, the latter by choice and the former by not liking what he was asking for.

Much as I hate Torres, we did just simply swap Murray and Clowe this postseason for Hannan and Torres this postseason. For the inconvenience we get to turn one fifth/sixth rounder into 3 2nd rounders and either a 4th 2nd round pick or a 5th rounder.

Seems like a decent swap if you look at it that way. At worst the swap nets us 3 2nd round picks.

GoGoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:50 PM
Jyrki
trust in linden CREW

Good pickup by the Sharks. Torres plays the game on the edge and will elevate his play during crunch time. I don't think Clowe will be missed.

Jyrki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:52 PM
Plowevelski
wuts this SCF thing?

Wrong. I will always miss Clowe and I will applaud him every time he hits the ice at the tank. One of my favorites since he was a rookie. Nice assumption just because he had a crappy year. Rangers fans will love him.

Plowevelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:54 PM
Vaasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowevelski View Post
Has anyone mentioned yet Torres had some clutch moments in the STANLEY CUP FINAL series and had the Canucks not lost game 7 would have been well remembered for his contributions during that run? I sure do because I was bitter as hell about him succeeding.

As a Sharks fan who will never forget the 2006 hit or the other scumbaggery I cannot stand him. He and Perry are about equal in my book of hate, but if he wants to turn it around, play fast, physical, and be a force on our team without trying to kill people I'll have to stomach it and hope for the best this year.
All that matters is that calling him a ******-bag is a major insult to ******-bags. Doug Wilson has forever tainted the Sharks organization by trading for him. DW should have been gotten rid of years ago, but this should be an automatic firing offense. Plattner shouldn't even wait for the offseason. Fire DW and sit Torres in the rafters so that the never actually wears a Sharks uniform.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:07 PM
Limekiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
All that matters is that calling him a ******-bag is a major insult to ******-bags. Doug Wilson has forever tainted the Sharks organization by trading for him. DW should have been gotten rid of years ago, but this should be an automatic firing offense. Plattner shouldn't even wait for the offseason. Fire DW and sit Torres in the rafters so that the never actually wears a Sharks uniform.
Oh please. He's not even the dirtiest player the Sharks have had on their team by an order of magnitude. Bryan Marchment ring a bell? One of the dirtiest players EVER, and a big fan of knee-on-knee ACL-destroying hits. Ask older Dallas fans about how they feel about a certain hit vs Joe Nieuwendyk in the playoffs.

Yes, Torres is a little ***** and a complete ****-stirrer. Yes, we have reasons to hate him. But saying he will somehow taint the Sharks by his presence? When we had Marchment for years, and STILL employ him today in scouting and player development? Don't make me laugh.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'll find it very hard to cheer for the guy at first. I've never liked him. But if he helps the team, he helps the team, and if he performs well here and the team succeeds, damn right I'll be cheering.

Last edited by slocal: 04-03-2013 at 05:39 PM. Reason: let the language filter do its job
Limekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:55 PM
BigDmitriy

Send a message via AIM to BigDmitriy Send a message via MSN to BigDmitriy Send a message via Yahoo to BigDmitriy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limekiller View Post
Oh please. He's not even the dirtiest player the Sharks have had on their team by an order of magnitude. Bryan Marchment ring a bell? One of the dirtiest players EVER, and a big fan of knee-on-knee ACL-destroying hits. Ask older Dallas fans about how they feel about a certain hit vs Joe Nieuwendyk in the playoffs.

Yes, Torres is a little ***** and a complete ****-stirrer. Yes, we have reasons to hate him. But saying he will somehow taint the Sharks by his presence? When we had Marchment for years, and STILL employ him today in scouting and player development? Don't make me laugh.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'll find it very hard to cheer for the guy at first. I've never liked him. But if he helps the team, he helps the team, and if he performs well here and the team succeeds, damn right I'll be cheering.
Absolutely - all this. While I hated the guy, I root for the logo on the front, and objectively, he is a pretty useful player.

BigDmitriy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:02 PM
Zoombie

Hes not an awful player, what he provides to a team he provides in spades. And for a big guy he sure is one speedy gonzales. I'm a fan.

Zoombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:45 PM
Rem
Boo or Boo-urns?

Quote:
whaaaaaaaa, the sharks got torres, whaaaaaaaaa

how old are you??

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:50 PM
Ender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limekiller View Post
Don't forget Link Gaetz... and Marty McSorley...

Ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:53 PM
Ender

Quote:
...So someone should be fired because of a hockey smart trade for a player that erupts negative emotion in people? Doug pulled off a bunch of good moves this season, and this is one of the good ones.

Ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:21 PM
MadhouseOnMadison
Man crush on Amonte

Condolences to Sharks fans. HF is going to be brutal for you guys.

MadhouseOnMadison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:38 PM
CanadianSharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
There's no doubt anymore, SJ is my least favourite team now. Torres is a punk.
My favourite team now has my least favourite player... just great. I ****ing hate Torres too!

CanadianSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:39 PM
Rem
Boo or Boo-urns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadhouseOnMadison View Post
Condolences to Sharks fans. HF is going to be brutal for you guys.
Our own fans have been the worst, actually. But thanks

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:47 PM
CanadianSharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Like Cooke, there's absolutely nothing to suggest that he hasn't changed his game. So grow up. I'm so sorry the Sharks traded for a player who hates to lose. What will that room ever do?
There's also nothing to suggest he's changed his game. As well, I don't care. His history is enough for me to hate him. He's a cheapshot artist.

Old
04-03-2013, 07:48 PM
CanadianSharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksFan1 View Post
You might say that now, but if the Sharks are lifting the cup once the dust settles I'm sure you will be singing a different tune.
There is not a single player I hate more than Torres. No one. If we win the cup, great. If we win the cup because of a Torres cheapshot, not great.

Old
04-03-2013, 07:51 PM
CanadianSharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
I'm embarrassed by the number of hateful comments by Sharks fans towards this guy. He is a Shark now. I'll will root for anyone that plays for the Sharks because I'm a Sharks fan.
I don't like him and never will. That's like me having to like all Canadians, just because I love Canada. I hate some Canadians, I love some Canadians.

Old
04-03-2013, 08:25 PM
SnapIt

vCash: 833
Torres is a great addition. I wish the Canucks got him back for the fourth line.

His speed, scoring ability, and big hits are exactly what a team needs in the playoffs. In the WCF he laid huge hits out to Thornton among others (didn't Jumbo Joe have a shoulder injury?). If I'm a Sharks fan, I'd be happy. Although, losing Clowe's playoff success is a bit unfortunate.

Anyone comparing Torres to Ben Eager should really just stop... awful.

SnapIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:30 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Haas, take it down a bit. I abhor Torres and do not think the org is forever tainted.

Automatic firing offense? Hilarious.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:29 PM
mstad101

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapIt View Post
Torres is a great addition. I wish the Canucks got him back for the fourth line.

His speed, scoring ability, and big hits are exactly what a team needs in the playoffs. In the WCF he laid huge hits out to Thornton among others (didn't Jumbo Joe have a shoulder injury?). If I'm a Sharks fan, I'd be happy. Although, losing Clowe's playoff success is a bit unfortunate.

Anyone comparing Torres to Ben Eager should really just stop... awful.
Took 6 pages for someone to mention the hit on Jumbo Joe in the Western conference finals. Joe was carrying that team at the time and Raff clean shoulder to shoulder hit but it was the perfect circumstance for an injury. Joe was slightly unaware of Raffi coming at him, n Raff doesn't let up. That's his problem.
Sharks dealt a lot of physicality off their roster and filled it with picks. A quality depth player like Torres will give the Sharks a better chance to a playoff game.

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:38 PM
sergejean

Waste of a draft pick for Torres. But I am biased against dirty 4th line players.

sergejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:39 PM
Crazy Joe Divola

Okay, he may have turned himself around and is no longer a huge d-bag. Still..for some Sharks fans this is like if your mom started dating a guy who slipped her a mickey and felt her up a few years ago and claims he's turned over a new leaf.

Last edited by Crazy Joe Divola: 04-03-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Crazy Joe Divola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:56 PM
PG Canuck

vCash: 53
I wish the Canucks were able to bring him back. There was just no way we could beat a FLA 3rd though, or were willing to give more to ensure we got Torres. I liked him during our SCF run.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:21 PM
RawNastyHands

if i was montreal i would have gave:
-Moen
-3rd rounder
-conditional 6th rounder

for Torres.

RawNastyHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:53 PM
rt
CoolWhiskyHotGravy

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstickytoes View Post
if i was montreal i would have gave:
-Moen
-3rd rounder
-conditional 6th rounder

for Torres.
Meh. Phoenix actually got Florida's pick out of it. That trumps your offer, imo.