HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs on Tradecentre Part 8 (Post-Deadline & Free Agency Talk: All proposals here)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-18-2013, 08:35 AM
  #951
Draft
Registered User
 
Draft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,975
vCash: 500
State of the defence. Weber played well last night, possible for him to be in our top 6 dmen next year? Can play on the PP, not horrid defensively. Not very big or physical, not outstanding defensively.

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Diaz
Emelin-Weber
(Bouillon)

I am not very excited about this as our defensive corps. Markov has lost a couple steps since the beginning of the year, not excited about him as a go-to guy in the Top-4. Though, he brings enough to the PP and the team that he's worth keeping. Emelin just had a season-ending injury, Diaz has been out half the year, Bouillon is getting old and he's small, Weber is unproven and small, Gorges has been lame all season. Thank goodness we have PK.

Neither Tinordi or Beaulieu are ready for the NHL. They've got a ways to go before they can be full-time players. Awesome as 7th defenceman and replacements though.

There's been talk about trying to sign RFAs or trade for them, who are the most realistic candidates?

Who do we keep? Who do we trade? Who do we try and sign?

Draft is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 10:56 AM
  #952
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
State of the defence. Weber played well last night, possible for him to be in our top 6 dmen next year? Can play on the PP, not horrid defensively. Not very big or physical, not outstanding defensively.

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Diaz
Emelin-Weber
(Bouillon)

I am not very excited about this as our defensive corps. Markov has lost a couple steps since the beginning of the year, not excited about him as a go-to guy in the Top-4. Though, he brings enough to the PP and the team that he's worth keeping. Emelin just had a season-ending injury, Diaz has been out half the year, Bouillon is getting old and he's small, Weber is unproven and small, Gorges has been lame all season. Thank goodness we have PK.

Neither Tinordi or Beaulieu are ready for the NHL. They've got a ways to go before they can be full-time players. Awesome as 7th defenceman and replacements though.

There's been talk about trying to sign RFAs or trade for them, who are the most realistic candidates?

Who do we keep? Who do we trade? Who do we try and sign?
Weber probably isn't in the picture next year.

I think Markov's struggles are twofold. 1-he's lost a half step to a step speed wise but still plays like he has above average foot speed to recover and gets caught. He needs to adjust, especially on piches at the offensive blueline. 2-the condensed schedule after having barely played the last 24 months is a tough adjustment and he looks run down at times..

With Emelin and Diaz healthy you can better control his workload and he is very effective. His defense wasn't bad until the last 2-3 weeks, so fatigue may be a factor. After Diaz is back I wouldn't opposed sitting him for a couple games with an phantom "upper body injury" to get him rested.

In terms of roster moves the only thing they may do is maybe add a PK specialist like Murray for 1 year if they can with Tinordi and Beaulieu close.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 11:08 AM
  #953
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating
 
HiggsBozon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
State of the defence. Weber played well last night, possible for him to be in our top 6 dmen next year? Can play on the PP, not horrid defensively. Not very big or physical, not outstanding defensively.

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Diaz
Emelin-Weber
(Bouillon)

I am not very excited about this as our defensive corps. Markov has lost a couple steps since the beginning of the year, not excited about him as a go-to guy in the Top-4. Though, he brings enough to the PP and the team that he's worth keeping. Emelin just had a season-ending injury, Diaz has been out half the year, Bouillon is getting old and he's small, Weber is unproven and small, Gorges has been lame all season. Thank goodness we have PK.

Neither Tinordi or Beaulieu are ready for the NHL. They've got a ways to go before they can be full-time players. Awesome as 7th defenceman and replacements though.

There's been talk about trying to sign RFAs or trade for them, who are the most realistic candidates?

Who do we keep? Who do we trade? Who do we try and sign?
Since Bouillon is already signed;

Gorges or Diaz out
Try and trade for a top-4 d-man with some experience and possibly some size too.

HiggsBozon is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 11:50 AM
  #954
Draft
Registered User
 
Draft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Weber probably isn't in the picture next year.

I think Markov's struggles are twofold. 1-he's lost a half step to a step speed wise but still plays like he has above average foot speed to recover and gets caught. He needs to adjust, especially on piches at the offensive blueline. 2-the condensed schedule after having barely played the last 24 months is a tough adjustment and he looks run down at times..

With Emelin and Diaz healthy you can better control his workload and he is very effective. His defense wasn't bad until the last 2-3 weeks, so fatigue may be a factor. After Diaz is back I wouldn't opposed sitting him for a couple games with an phantom "upper body injury" to get him rested.

In terms of roster moves the only thing they may do is maybe add a PK specialist like Murray for 1 year if they can with Tinordi and Beaulieu close.
Is the team comfortable with Emelin and Diaz moving forward? Don't get me wrong, I like both of them. What are they without Markov? Are they true Top-4 defenceman for the team? We know that Markov is older now but we've all seen what he can do for his defence partners. So are Diaz and Emelin following Streit or are they following Komisarek?

Potential RFAs are: Leddy, Demers, Franson, Savard, Tanev, Wiercioch, Hamonic, Shattenkirk, Pietrangelo, Ellerby, Bogosian, Rundblad, Mcdonagh, Alzner, etc. The point is, there are teams that won't be able to afford their new RFAs. Obviously there are several players on this list the Habs won't get even close to signing. There are several players that aren't ready for the NHL.

Tanev, Leddy, Franson/Gunnarson.

They are all playing on teams that are going to be up against the cap. There are more examples of course. I think they would all be upgrades on our current situation and in the future. Even if we don't get an RFA, each of these teams have good defenceman that we could trade for. Desharnais would be attractive to both Vancouver and Chicago, they need centers (I know no one truly wants DD). Toronto's prospect pool is horrendous, we've got a lot of defence prospects. Any ideas?

Draft is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 12:17 PM
  #955
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Is the team comfortable with Emelin and Diaz moving forward? Don't get me wrong, I like both of them. What are they without Markov? Are they true Top-4 defenceman for the team? We know that Markov is older now but we've all seen what he can do for his defence partners. So are Diaz and Emelin following Streit or are they following Komisarek?

Potential RFAs are: Leddy, Demers, Franson, Savard, Tanev, Wiercioch, Hamonic, Shattenkirk, Pietrangelo, Ellerby, Bogosian, Rundblad, Mcdonagh, Alzner, etc. The point is, there are teams that won't be able to afford their new RFAs. Obviously there are several players on this list the Habs won't get even close to signing. There are several players that aren't ready for the NHL.

Tanev, Leddy, Franson/Gunnarson.

They are all playing on teams that are going to be up against the cap. There are more examples of course. I think they would all be upgrades on our current situation and in the future. Even if we don't get an RFA, each of these teams have good defenceman that we could trade for. Desharnais would be attractive to both Vancouver and Chicago, they need centers (I know no one truly wants DD). Toronto's prospect pool is horrendous, we've got a lot of defence prospects. Any ideas?
Why would Diaz and Emelin not be here going forward? Both are signed to cheap deals next year, would be dumb to trade either one. Hopefully MB can get both signed to extensions this summer. Unless they want crazy money it's no brainer to extend them for 2-3-4 more years. Both are legit top 4 NHL d-men.

I don't see too many RFA's getting signed or traded, those players are usually young core players for them, with 2 buyouts available a lot of teams will fix their cap issues...like Komisarek getting bought out and probably Grabovsky.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 01:17 PM
  #956
Draft
Registered User
 
Draft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Why would Diaz and Emelin not be here going forward? Both are signed to cheap deals next year, would be dumb to trade either one. Hopefully MB can get both signed to extensions this summer. Unless they want crazy money it's no brainer to extend them for 2-3-4 more years. Both are legit top 4 NHL d-men.

I don't see too many RFA's getting signed or traded, those players are usually young core players for them, with 2 buyouts available a lot of teams will fix their cap issues...like Komisarek getting bought out and probably Grabovsky.
In two years, not very logical to trade them now as we don't have the players to cover for them. Are they the "legit" top 4 d-men we want? Diaz has had a severe concussion and Emelin has had a knee injury and surgery. Are they going to be the players they were before their injuries? We should upgrade this position when there's an opportunity. I'm not necessarily talking about trading Diaz and Emelin for the RFA rights, I'm talking about making a trade and making them expendable when their contracts are up and improving on what we have.

Toronto will probably be okay, Vancouver and Chicago not so much. They are very top heavy and they're contracts to buy out will be expensive, not to say it can't be done. It makes much more sense to trade assets for other assets instead of buying them out for nothing.

Draft is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 02:01 PM
  #957
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
In two years, not very logical to trade them now as we don't have the players to cover for them. Are they the "legit" top 4 d-men we want? Diaz has had a severe concussion and Emelin has had a knee injury and surgery. Are they going to be the players they were before their injuries? We should upgrade this position when there's an opportunity. I'm not necessarily talking about trading Diaz and Emelin for the RFA rights, I'm talking about making a trade and making them expendable when their contracts are up and improving on what we have.

Toronto will probably be okay, Vancouver and Chicago not so much. They are very top heavy and they're contracts to buy out will be expensive, not to say it can't be done. It makes much more sense to trade assets for other assets instead of buying them out for nothing.
The best case scenario from an asset standpoint is young players coming up and making veterans expendable. I don't see the point of moving Diaz or Emelin, both profile as good NHL d-men going forward with their skillset. Their improvement this year is a significant part of the team improving.

If you start trading every player as soon as they have a serious injury or concussion you wouldn't have much of a team left...Galchenyuk Gallagher Gorges Bourque Markov Diaz Emelin Desharnais Eller Moen Halpern Armstrong all gone.

Usually the guys being bought out are not assets(Komisarek) or not worth keeping(Luongo).

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 02:45 PM
  #958
Draft
Registered User
 
Draft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The best case scenario from an asset standpoint is young players coming up and making veterans expendable. I don't see the point of moving Diaz or Emelin, both profile as good NHL d-men going forward with their skillset. Their improvement this year is a significant part of the team improving.

If you start trading every player as soon as they have a serious injury or concussion you wouldn't have much of a team left...Galchenyuk Gallagher Gorges Bourque Markov Diaz Emelin Desharnais Eller Moen Halpern Armstrong all gone.

Usually the guys being bought out are not assets(Komisarek) or not worth keeping(Luongo).
I'm not suggesting we move them, I'm suggesting we improve the position. If improving the position means moving them or not resigning, then that's what it means. Chicago is going to be in a lot of trouble cap-wise (Leddy), so will San Jose (Demers).

Draft is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 03:07 PM
  #959
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
I'm not suggesting we move them, I'm suggesting we improve the position. If improving the position means moving them or not resigning, then that's what it means. Chicago is going to be in a lot of trouble cap-wise (Leddy), so will San Jose (Demers).
Both guys are smaller PMD's, we already have too many of those. Makes no sense to trade assets to further strengthen your strengths.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 03:26 PM
  #960
Bieber fever
Registered User
 
Bieber fever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westmount
Posts: 5,111
vCash: 500
Adding any player under 6'0 200lbs is useless at the moment.

Bieber fever is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 03:28 PM
  #961
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating
 
HiggsBozon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
Adding any player under 6'0 200lbs is useless at the moment.
No! Let's add a 37 years old, decreasing, aging player who's about the same size as Armstrong on our top-6. Can only turn out fine!

HiggsBozon is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 03:30 PM
  #962
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,644
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
Adding any player under 6'0 200lbs is useless at the moment.
Crosby would be terrible. Agreed.

WeThreeKings is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 03:48 PM
  #963
Draft
Registered User
 
Draft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Both guys are smaller PMD's, we already have too many of those. Makes no sense to trade assets to further strengthen your strengths.
Well... Leddy isn't ideal. Demers is pretty decent physically 6'01 and 185, not huge but has been known to play the body. We would all love Franson but I'm pretty sure Toronto won't let him go. McDonagh seems to be pretty well liked in New York as well. Any other ideas?

Draft is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 05:12 PM
  #964
Halifaxhab*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Well... Leddy isn't ideal. Demers is pretty decent physically 6'01 and 185, not huge but has been known to play the body. We would all love Franson but I'm pretty sure Toronto won't let him go. McDonagh seems to be pretty well liked in New York as well. Any other ideas?
The UFA dman prospects seem very slim. Regehr? Murray? Fistric? And no guarantee any reach July 1st.

So trading for a young top4 dman....very expensive.

Halifaxhab* is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 05:15 PM
  #965
CrAzYNiNe
Registered User
 
CrAzYNiNe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,020
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
What about Hal Gill?

CrAzYNiNe is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 09:41 PM
  #966
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,403
vCash: 500
All the BS crap Gionta gets on here and he is now on pace(82 games) for 26 goals despite a slow start(understandable having not played in 13 months).


First 19 games 3-5-8
Last 24 games 9-7-16

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 10:57 AM
  #967
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating
 
HiggsBozon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
All the BS crap Gionta gets on here and he is now on pace(82 games) for 26 goals despite a slow start(understandable having not played in 13 months).


First 19 games 3-5-8
Last 24 games 9-7-16
Good for him. 5M per year is still a terrible investment on a guy who's at his best when he doesn't touch the puck for more than a millisecond though.

HiggsBozon is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 11:04 AM
  #968
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
Good for him. 5M per year is still a terrible investment on a guy who's at his best when he doesn't touch the puck for more than a millisecond though.
How much is a 25-30 goals scorer worth in the NHL, might I ask you? Remember that you must compare with guys who were UFAs for a fair comparison...

We'll be waiting.

Habsterix* is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 11:05 AM
  #969
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey
 
Pierre Dagenais's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
Good for him. 5M per year is still a terrible investment on a guy who's at his best when he doesn't touch the puck for more than a millisecond though.
5 million is an overpayment but for a guy who was UFA, it's not a terrible investment.

Pierre Dagenais is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 11:14 AM
  #970
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL
 
YMCMBeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
5 million is an overpayment but for a guy who was UFA, it's not a terrible investment.
Plus we're not close to spending to the cap this year so who cares if he's overpaid by $1 - 1.5 million max..

YMCMBeaulieu is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 11:26 AM
  #971
Ghetto Sangria
Groupthink
 
Ghetto Sangria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,888
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
Good for him. 5M per year is still a terrible investment on a guy who's at his best when he doesn't touch the puck for more than a millisecond though.
And his contract is so restricting, right? I mean geez! The habs have 3.5 million in cap space this season which they didn't fill.

And oh no!!! The habs will have over 10 million dollars in cap space next season!!! We better free up more cap space!

Ghetto Sangria is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 11:33 AM
  #972
Craig71
Registered User
 
Craig71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
What about Hal Gill?
He is a useful guy especially on the pk, not the greatest talent in the NHL but does what he does very well. Seeing him swimming around on a 5 on 3 was funny,scary and awesome all at once.

Craig71 is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 11:38 AM
  #973
Alexdaman
Registered User
 
Alexdaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,223
vCash: 50
We could of used a guy like Torres, oh well... at least we're stacked for the draft.

Alexdaman is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 11:57 AM
  #974
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
Good for him. 5M per year is still a terrible investment on a guy who's at his best when he doesn't touch the puck for more than a millisecond though.
How did he score 231 career goals "at his best when he doesn't touch the puck"? Are there no bounds or common sense to your posts?

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 11:59 AM
  #975
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
And his contract is so restricting, right? I mean geez! The habs have 3.5 million in cap space this season which they didn't fill.

And oh no!!! The habs will have over 10 million dollars in cap space next season!!! We better free up more cap space!
Haven't you heard? Cap hit scores goals during the season and erven more during the playoffs!

Monctonscout is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.