HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[TOR/COL] Ryan O'Byrne for 2014 4th Round Pick

Old
04-03-2013, 03:01 PM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

vCash: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraSphere View Post
Hate this trade, he sucks and is horrible. Avs fans are dancing that they got a 4th round for him. He was a dump, rather keep kostka, or just give gardiner another shot.
Another GM in training.

LordRamsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:01 PM
stanleyorbust

vCash: 500
Thank god we only traded for O'Byrne and Nonis didn't jump the gun and trade for a bunch of expense rentals.

I'm not sure if anyone has said this yet... but what do you think the chances are that old man Fletcher made this deal and came running into Nonis' office bragging how he stole Ryan O'Reilly for a 4th

stanleyorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:02 PM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asif16 View Post
Solid pickup. No bad. Cant be worst then Kostka.
While Kostka has horrible offensive instincts, his defensive play is actually pretty solid. I don't understand why fans feel the need to pick on him so much..he is what he is: A dependable depth D-man that plays a conservative game. Nothing wrong with that.

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:03 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gilmour93 View Post
So are hundreds of busts. It's a crap shoot.
I don't see ANY upgrade here, so why take a dart away? Seriously, Komisarek is as good.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sergei Berezin

****in' drama queens in here.

Great pickup.

Exactly what we need in the playoffs. He's a warrior who will be relied on heavily in PK situations.

Remember how people said Fraser wasn't even an AHL player? Well I suppose an NHL 7th Dman is an upgrade to that scouting report...

Gardiner has struggled, and I think he knows that. Let him find his way, and let him and Liles switch in and out of the lineup. Carlyle isn't ruining anyone, relax.

I think, if anything, Fraser-Franson is gonna be our 2A pair, and the other pairing is going to be 2B.

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
zeke
#TeamReimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark4Ever View Post
He's being referred to as a Mark Fraser clone on TSN, and that would be fine by me.

Did anyone know who Mark Fraser was at the beginning of the season? Look at him now.

O'Byrne will look much more comfortable under Carlyle.

I don't get all the cynicism.
fraser and franson already get the extreme sheltered minutes from randy.

now he has a third dman he has to shelter to make look decent, and you can't shelter 3 of your 6 dman.

this guy will look as out of place in our top 4 as holzer or komi.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:04 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
I'm so conflicted. We are gonna hopefully make the playoffs for the first time in over a decade but we're also destroying our promising young defenseman's confidence and potentially his career.
Overreact much?

Maybe we can destroy him the way we destroyed Kadri.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:05 PM
stakesishigh
how swede it is

He's got a lot of penalty minutes.

stakesishigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:05 PM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

vCash: 50
Let's trash the guy before he plays a game for us. Classic.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:06 PM
SteveV*

Every move a Leafs GM makes is a good one.

What this is a realization that Kostka isn't the answer, and I do agree. That said, Mike Komisarek brings every bit what this guy does to the table, so a fourth for a plug rental isn't a great move IMO.

Old
04-03-2013, 03:07 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
TSN summed it up well.. Kostka was too inconsistent against team's upper lines game in and game out .. O'Byrne replaces him for the most part and Kostka will be an injury filler ... Gards and Liles will probably be shuffled in and out depending on the game
O'byrne cannot do what kostka has been doing this year - i.e. playing 22mpg in all situations, and playing well.

o'byrne is a downgrade from kostka, and probably not much of an upgrade over holzer or komi.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:07 PM
Interactif

Leave it to me to have the definitive word here, ROB is more ready the Holzer or Gardiner right now, he's a different D man to Kostka, but he rounds out our D well. He adds a balance to Liles on our D. PMD with a Stay at home defender who is hard to play against. Gives us a #2 pair moving into the stretch drive. Fraser and Franson go back to their comfortable #3 pairing, and Dion can play with Gunnar on the top pairing. Small move but really balances out our back end for the remainder of the year.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:08 PM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post
****in' drama queens in here.

Great pickup.

Exactly what we need in the playoffs. He's a warrior who will be relied on heavily in PK situations.

Remember how people said Fraser wasn't even an AHL player? Well I suppose an NHL 7th Dman is an upgrade to that scouting report...

Gardiner has struggled, and I think he knows that. Let him find his way, and let him and Liles switch in and out of the lineup. Carlyle isn't ruining anyone, relax.

I think, if anything, Fraser-Franson is gonna be our 2A pair, and the other pairing is going to be 2B.

Exactly. If anything, this will make Gardiner alot more driven to succeed and to not take his roster spot for granted.

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
You Like Boyce

Threads like this really make me shudder to be a Leafs fan. If he doesn't play well for us he'll be scratched, until then maybe let's give him a chance?

You Like Boyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
dangleitis91

Solid pick up. If he plays bad in the next 12 games and we make the playoffs, he doesn't have to and likely wouldn't dress. We have lots of depth on D and O'Byrne can help the PK. To any Colorado fan saying they robbed us or whatever was quoted previously, good luck finding a 300+ game NHLer in the 4th round. This guy is BIG and hits, and isn't afraid to drop the gloves I say not a bad deal at all.

dangleitis91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Deebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
I don't see ANY upgrade here, so why take a dart away? Seriously, Komisarek is as good.
It's not about upgrading, its about depth.

Players get hurt during playoff runs, we don't want to be throwing a guy like Blacker into the fire if we need a d-man.

Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:09 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Good addition. Cant say im too excited but cant be diappointed either. Judging on Luongo's comments however it may end up with him being bought out which can work in our favour in the summer time if we still need a vet presence in goal. For now this gives us a decent defensive D that we can play along side Lilies. O'Brynes best years were on the right side of Liles and can be a solid addition to our already thriving PK (hopefully Im not wrong about this). Im glad Nonis didnt do anything drastic, a young team learning how to play under pressure and growing as players in the playoffs is exactly what these guys need going forward as a perennial playoff team. On guy im upset to miss out on this TD was pominville, would have been a great addition and went for a low price but doubt hed be dealt to a division rival.

Anyway to lighten the mood a bit:

Ottawa: deals their best healthy goalie for a currently struggling rookie (overall an even deal but makes them a little weaker this season)
Boston: Adds an aging, less effective Jagr but loses their number 1 C in Bergeron too concussion
Montreal: Nothing changed
Buffalo: Sold

Toronto and Montreal benefitted the moth this deadline for the remainder of the season

The Podium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhorse1280 View Post
While Kostka has horrible offensive instincts, his defensive play is actually pretty solid. I don't understand why fans feel the need to pick on him so much..he is what he is: A dependable depth D-man that plays a conservative game. Nothing wrong with that.
Kostka has been pretty good this year, not sure why he is horrible. Komi and Lebda were horrible. Infact they took horrible to a whole new level. Kostka horrible? I don't see it.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

He's a good guy who I think can be reliable as Fraser for us under Carlyle. He still lacks defensive senses from time to time from the game I've seen of the avs. He's a good character man though. For those saying Kostka isn't bad...Yes he's good because of the way he sees the ice and the vision of catching up to the play that's going on, however his overall lack of skill doesn't help keep up with the play hence he's best suited at the bottom pairing. O'Byrne might not be the best defensive defensemen because of his slip ups but his skill can change it up. Remember you can teach defense but you can't teach skill.

For me at the price for a 4th round pick, I'm satisfied but in the end I'll let his ice work determine if he's worth that.

ChuckWoods

Only issue I see with this trade is that it takes consistent minutes away from Jake Gardiner.

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
JML - O'Byrne
Fraser - Franson

Gardiner / Kostka

When you look at this trade a little bit deeper, it provides the absolutely necessary depth required for a successful playoff run. It will allow Randy Carlyle to flash different looks as well as give him another Right Handed Shot that has been a successful stay at home defender in the past with JML. O'Byrne is the type of guy that will benefit this team on the PK, and play some tough and responsible minutes if given the right ones.

O'Bryne isn't a cap hindrance, nor is he going to be put in a position where he can be exploited like he was in Colorado.

Randy Carlyle is a fantastic tactician, a match up man, and plays a simple system that allows poor puck handling defenders like Fraser and O'Byrne the ability to just get the puck to a position where support is there.

If O'Byrne continues to struggle then so be it, and he'll be promptly sat where a hungry Gardiner/Kostka are awaiting the opportunity to jump into the line up and never look back.

O'Byrne is also familiar with JM Liles and constantly deferred puck movement to him in the past, as we see with the Fraser-Franson pairing. Its a nice blend of size, shot blocking, stick work and defensive responsibility if he can find his game in Toronto. O'Byrne isn't exactly the worst skater for someone of his size as well.

It provides us with more of a traditional and effective pairing than a JML-Gardiner unit, but it does leave us with the fact that we may be seeing a platoon of JML/Gardiner, over someone like O'Byrne.

It has its pro's and con's.

But overall this deal isn't really a loss in terms of immediate impact as it just provides Randy Carlyle another tool to use.

If he doesn't perform, we just have to place our trust in Randy that he'll be taken out of the line up and replaced to see what else is there.

It only cost us a 4th round pick in 2014, a complete unknown at this time that could be recuperated in the future by moving other pieces.

ChuckWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
buntek

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
O'byrne cannot do what kostka has been doing this year - i.e. playing 22mpg in all situations, and playing well.

o'byrne is a downgrade from kostka, and probably not much of an upgrade over holzer or komi.
That's exactly why Nonis traded for him, because he believes he's a downgrade.

Kostka has done a decent job, but talk about inflated stats....

buntek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:10 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
He's played well with Liles before. It's a low risk move.
So we're building around Liles now?

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
It's not about upgrading, its about depth.

Players get hurt during playoff runs, we don't want to be throwing a guy like Blacker into the fire if we need a d-man.
Komi and Holzer are depth bro, plus we already have Gards in press box. I was up for an upgrade, this isn't it.

Old
stakesishigh
how swede it is

It'll be good to see him play on his proper side and with a familiar defense partner.

Even though he's had an apparently awful year, I think he will do much better (than that) here.

stakesishigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:11 PM
ThirdRowGreens

What's with all the conspiracy theories about Gardiner? Maybe Carlyle is nervous about playing a kid in the playoffs who looks totally lost in the defensive zone. Just maybe...

I guess the conspiracy theorists have been proven wrong about Kadri's development, so they have to find a new controversy to manufacture around another prospect.

ThirdRowGreens is offline   Reply With Quote