HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Devils acquire Steve Sullivan from PHX for a 7th Round Pick

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-03-2013, 04:26 PM
  #126
MountainGoat
Re-sign Jagr
 
MountainGoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sarnia, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,165
vCash: 500
I think a trade like this is more of a statement to guys in our bottom 6, you **** up than you sit and this Steve guy plays in your spot ok?

MountainGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:26 PM
  #127
NJDevs26
Moderator
Status quo
 
NJDevs26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 23,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyForVezina View Post
I'm pretty sure I could move Tallinder for a 6th round pick at least.
There wouldn't be much point to 'that' other than the obvious (addition by subtraction, saving money).

People keep saying our guys couldn't have been moved for other than scraps, I guess it just depends on what level you define scraps as. I honestly think some people wouldn't have moved any of our spare defensemen unless we got a first-rounder back.

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:26 PM
  #128
Nick0930
Registered User
 
Nick0930's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Wouldn't DeBoer and Lou, guys who are around the team every day, have a better idea if scratching defenseman is "awful for chemistry" than any of us? Just a thought.
Get outta here with your logic.

Nick0930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:27 PM
  #129
SteveCangialosi123
Registered User
 
SteveCangialosi123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
I guess so.

Lou believes this team can make some noise in the playoffs. I happen to think so too. A lot of people on this board don't.
i hope you're right. i bet if we get kovy back and win a few in a row, the board's (myself included) morale will increase. we just have been in such a rut it's hard to be positive.

SteveCangialosi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:28 PM
  #130
MartyForVezina
Aspiring 1%er
 
MartyForVezina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDevil View Post
There you go using logic again.

Only Devils fans would ***** about getting a guy who can play in the top 9 for a 7th round pick. A 7th round pick! They might as well have given Phoenix a bag of pucks.
Some of you guys have serious reading comprehension issues. I don't really see anyone mad about this trade.

MartyForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:29 PM
  #131
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!!!!
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 34,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyForVezina View Post
Yea, and then when you lose said FA for nothing because you are a stubborn old man that hasn't kept up with the times and is set in his ways...

Not talking contracts with pending FA's has to be the dumbest GM policy in the NHL. Gionta, Neids, Parise, Gomez, Rafalski, etc.

NO, I am not saying they would have stayed any way but how he handles these things certainly does not increase our chances.
Careful with criticizing Lou on here. Apparently he can do no wrong. I don't understand the self righteous people saying ''Well I think Lou or Deboer knows better than you'' When literally some of the same people are the first to complain about ''Wait what? Why is so and so in the lineup over him tonight?'' or ''Deboer playing Kovy so many minutes is completely ridiculous'' or stuff like that. Some of the same people have also complained about bad contracts that we've given out too over the years.

Can anyone really say what the biggest advantage of having all these defensemen has been? Tallinder has been the only injury, and he was a healthy scratch for a couple weeks when he wasn't injured. I'm not complaining so much about today as I am why we've had them all in the first place.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:31 PM
  #132
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333
 
MartyOwns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 10,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Wouldn't DeBoer and Lou, guys who are around the team every day, have a better idea if scratching defenseman is "awful for chemistry" than any of us? Just a thought.
who cares about chemistry? it's like every night, we scratch a couple of draft picks. did you SEE what teams were getting for defensemen???

I'm glad he didn't trade any upcoming UFAs. I wasn't worried he would. but asset management? Lou just went full retard

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:32 PM
  #133
MartyForVezina
Aspiring 1%er
 
MartyForVezina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Wouldn't DeBoer and Lou, guys who are around the team every day, have a better idea if scratching defenseman is "awful for chemistry" than any of us? Just a thought.
If the GM and coach know best for this team and can't ever be questioned about their decision making, why have a message board where half the threads do just that?

Just a thought.

I've played hockey my whole life. I don't need an expert to tell me that constantly flipping defensive pairings and removing people from the lineup is bad for chemistry.

MartyForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:32 PM
  #134
Feed Me A Stray Cat
Registered User
 
Feed Me A Stray Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,726
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick0930 View Post
Get outta here with your logic.
The logic goes like this:

1) The Devils are losing.

2) Fans are upset by the Devils losing.

3) As a result, fans want change, no matter what the change is, and no matter if that change has any positive effect on the team.

4) If fans don't get change, they look for every reason to justify their argument for change.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:34 PM
  #135
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!!!!
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 34,069
vCash: 500
Sullivan while only having 1 goal in his last 22 games actually has 7 points in that span against Clarkson's 4.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:34 PM
  #136
Feed Me A Stray Cat
Registered User
 
Feed Me A Stray Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,726
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyForVezina View Post
If the GM and coach know best for this team and can't ever be questioned about their decision making, why have a message board where half the threads do just that?

Just a thought.
I never said the GM and coach shouldn't have their decision making questioned.

However, in the argument concerning our defensemen rotation being a negative for team chemistry, our GM and coach have a heck of a lot more knowledge than anyone here.

If you want to question the value of an extra defenseman versus acquiring a draft pick, go ahead. But none of you have a clue regarding team chemistry.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:35 PM
  #137
NJDevs26
Moderator
Status quo
 
NJDevs26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 23,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
The logic goes like this:

1) The Devils are losing.

2) Fans are upset by the Devils losing.

3) As a result, fans want change, no matter what the change is, and no matter if that change has any positive effect on the team.

4) If fans don't get change, they look for every reason to justify their argument for change.
A) I've been harping on this eight-D monstrosity since the offseason, nothing to do with the team losing. I was on it when we were winning, and Larsson/Fayne were being scratched all over the place.

B) If constantly shuttling eight defensemen in and out of the lineup was good, why isn't every team doing it? Or at least a 'few' more teams. We don't have the monopoly on hockey intelligence in the NHL.

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:36 PM
  #138
battlingBard56
Registered User
 
battlingBard56's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Union County, NJ
Country: Poland
Posts: 1,632
vCash: 500
I don't mind. Having Sullivan here can't hurt and if he plays well, can only help. Plus I believe our younger guys can benefit from playing/practicing with him. Also, a veteran presence like him can never be a bad thing.

battlingBard56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:36 PM
  #139
crazyray
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 40
vCash: 500
Luckily there's never been any kind of instance in NHL history where excess players at a position has resulted in the stunting of growth of a top prospect, so there's no reason to question our GM or head coach


crazyray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:36 PM
  #140
Feed Me A Stray Cat
Registered User
 
Feed Me A Stray Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,726
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
A) I've been harping on this eight-D monstrosity since the offseason, nothing to do with the team losing. I was on it when we were winning, and Larsson/Fayne were being scratched all over the place.

B) If constantly shuttling eight defensemen in and out of the lineup was good, why isn't every team doing it? We don't have the monopoly on hockey intelligence in the NHL.
No one said it's "good." I'm simply arguing that it isn't the atrocity that many of you claim it to be.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:37 PM
  #141
Devils731
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyForVezina View Post
If the GM and coach know best for this team and can't ever be questioned about their decision making, why have a message board where half the threads do just that?

Just a thought.

I've played hockey my whole life. I don't need an expert to tell me that constantly flipping defensive pairings and removing people from the lineup is bad for chemistry.
So you've played hockey you're whole life so you know it's bad, but Lou and DeBoer don't know that it's bad for the team?

I don't think anybody should say you can't question what the team is or isn't doing, but I do think it's weird when people are sure who good leaders are, who cancers to the team are, how the locker room is, or what the team needs for better chemistry when none of us are there to tell what is actually going on.

Devils731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:37 PM
  #142
Feed Me A Stray Cat
Registered User
 
Feed Me A Stray Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,726
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyray View Post
Luckily there's never been any kind of instance in NHL history where excess players at a position has resulted in the stunting of growth of a top prospect, so there's no reason to question our GM or head coach

Luckily there's never been any kind of instance in the NHL where excess players at a position resulted in a limited drop off in performance when injuries occurred.


Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:38 PM
  #143
SteveCangialosi123
Registered User
 
SteveCangialosi123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
The logic goes like this:

1) The Devils are losing.

2) Fans are upset by the Devils losing.

3) As a result, fans want change, no matter what the change is, and no matter if that change has any positive effect on the team.

4) If fans don't get change, they look for every reason to justify their argument for change.
I hate the sullivan move and was knocking it as soon as I saw it.

SteveCangialosi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:38 PM
  #144
NJDevs26
Moderator
Status quo
 
NJDevs26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 23,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Sullivan while only having 1 goal in his last 22 games actually has 7 points in that span against Clarkson's 4.
Wow, that's bad. And he wasn't playing big minutes either - at least based on his nine minutes of icetime last night. Compared to the like 23 or whatever it was Clarkson was getting Monday night

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:39 PM
  #145
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!!!!
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 34,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyForVezina View Post
If the GM and coach know best for this team and can't ever be questioned about their decision making, why have a message board where half the threads do just that?

Just a thought.
You're precisely correct with that too. Like I said some of the same people who are saying ''Lou and management and the coach know best'' are also complaining when a certain player is scratched over another player or this guy is getting too much or too little icetime or Pete didn't call a timeout. Or Pete is playing Clarkson or Kovy too much, or Lou gave Rolston or Pandolfo or Salvador stupid contracts, etc. I complain about the same thing all the time, and this board is filled with stuff like that. It's just like the guy who called me and a couple others armchair GM's or whatever he called us yesterday. Go to the trade board, that's the definition of armchair GM. Not saying those things are bad I'm just saying. A lot of what's posted on this board are things people get self righteous about when half the posts are doing the same thing.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:40 PM
  #146
Feed Me A Stray Cat
Registered User
 
Feed Me A Stray Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,726
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCangialosi123 View Post
I hate the sullivan move and was knocking it as soon as I saw it.
That was in reference to the gigantic ***** that many people here have developed regarding our eight defensemen.

To clarify my stance: it is certainly not an ideal scenario. I'd rather have seven and use that eight to strengthen our forward corps, or maybe get a good pick. However sitting tight with eight is by no means the abortion that many of you are making it sound like.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:41 PM
  #147
Devils731
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
''Lou and management and the coach know best''
So you think it's likely that Lou and DeBoer have a worse handle on what's happening in the locker room than people on this message board?

Devils731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:43 PM
  #148
NJDpassantino
Registered User
 
NJDpassantino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 279
vCash: 500
I was confused at first, but guys this is the player we need. We got Sully for nothing and this guy can play the point on our power play. Steve can still skate last year he had 17 goals. This is a smart move by Lou, I expect Steve to make a impact.

NJDpassantino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:44 PM
  #149
Feed Me A Stray Cat
Registered User
 
Feed Me A Stray Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,726
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils731 View Post
So you think it's likely that Lou and DeBoer have a worse handle on what's happening in the locker room than people on this message board?
It's funny how people on here interpret logical arguments such as this as "DUDE ARE YOU SAYING WE SHOULD NEVER QUESTION THE GM!?!?!?".

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:45 PM
  #150
MartyForVezina
Aspiring 1%er
 
MartyForVezina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
That was in reference to the gigantic ***** that many people here have developed regarding our eight defensemen.
People generally get boners when they LIKE something.


MartyForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.