HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rumors of trades that did not happen and complaints about Tambo doing nothing v14

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2013, 12:00 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I said all along last year when Bulin was playing well was the time to make a swap for Mason in hopes of getting a pick along with Mason.

You had options.

See if a new team gives him a spark, if not down to OKC.

Depending on how this went you could either bring him in this year to battle with Dubnyk or you could've bought him out at 1/3 of his contract during the summer.
I see what you're saying, but I disagree, because I just don't see an NHL goaltender there. Some guys have struggles, but his play and the goals he was giving up were of the lowest of the lowest quality, he's just done, imo and the Flyers will find that out soon enough.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:01 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I see what you're saying, but I disagree, because I just don't see an NHL goaltender there. Some guys have struggles, but his play and the goals he was giving up were of the lowest of the lowest quality, he's just done, imo and the Flyers will find that out soon enough.
Of course, but I didn't have much hopes for Bulin playing that well all year and thought it was a perfect way in a year that wasn't expected to be much to get a free asset(draft pick).

Old
04-08-2013, 12:11 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Of course, but I didn't have much hopes for Bulin playing that well all year and thought it was a perfect way in a year that wasn't expected to be much to get a free asset(draft pick).
Fair enough, I was kind of hoping for that at the deadline this year, but it's not the end of the world. Though I'm not on board with him, Habby, being brought back as the backup.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:25 PM
27theROCK

vCash: 500
I think everyone is missing the biggest thing lacking with this team, NHL Dman!

This is a huge issue. We have no top pairing dman and they are hard to get.

Justin Schultz has lots of upside as does Klefbom but you can not count on them right now they need to develope.

Basically I see our D as:

Blank - Blank
Smid - J Schultz
Klefbom - Petry

Having Whitney, N Schultz, Potter, Peckham, Fistric etc they are just place holders.

I hate to say it but a Jaybo would have been a great get for the Oilers and the price wasn't bad though I know Flames wouldnt have sent us him.

Even if we can get at least 1 top pairing dman we could push J Schultz up but not bringing in at least 1 top pair dman we are in trouble

Top Dman - J Schultz
Smid - Petry
Klefbom - Robyn Regehr or veteran Physical guy. Fistric would be okay in this role but I would rather a better version.

Roster next year:

Hall - RNH - Eberle
PRV - Gags - Yak
XX - Horcoff - XX
XX - Lander - Brown

XX - J Schultz
Smid - Petry
Klefbom - XX

Sign big physicall guys willing to fight and battle to fill out the bottom 6 and then trade chips for top dman are Hemsky and Hartikinen, and then all other picks and prospects that it takes.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:28 PM
frag2

Quote:
Jovo has too much value, CGY would have to give up a 1st for him.

He is a perfect guy to take up cap space, but you won't have to pay him.
Expansion team quality folks

Old
04-08-2013, 12:40 PM
jmoss45

It doesn't matter if Bickell isn't all that skilled.. he'd likely be playing with Yak and Gagner. In that role he needs to be physical, good along the boards, and a good 2-way player. He excels at all 3.

Ideally i'd like to let Jones walk and deal Hemsky ($6+ mil saved) then sign Bickell ($3 mil) and acquire Brouwer (3.6). That would add a lot of skilled grit to our top 9.

Hall-Nuge-Ebs
Bickell-Gagner-Yak
MPS-Horcoff-Brouwer

Old
04-08-2013, 12:42 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
It doesn't matter if Bickell isn't all that skilled.. he'd likely be playing with Yak and Gagner. In that role he needs to be physical, good along the boards, and a good 2-way player. He excels at all 3.

Ideally i'd like to let Jones walk and deal Hemsky ($6+ mil saved) then sign Bickell ($3 mil) and acquire Brouwer (3.6). That would add a lot of skilled grit to our top 9.

Hall-Nuge-Ebs
Bickell-Gagner-Yak
MPS-Horcoff-Brouwer
If Bickell is Ben Eager "skilled" then it matters alot. And everything you described for Bickell, applies to Stalberg who's a better skater for not being quite as tough.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:56 PM
jmoss45

Quote:
If Bickell is Ben Eager "skilled" then it matters alot. And everything you described for Bickell, applies to Stalberg who's a better skater for not being quite as tough.
Point taken.. but Eager has never put up even close to .5 PPG. He's always been a 4th line guy.

Stalberg doesn't bring as much of what we need.. I see him more as a Paajarvi. We need the hits and the board play, because we're weak on puck pursuit and the only line that truly cycles are the kids.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:59 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27theROCK View Post

Justin Schultz has lots of upside as does Klefbom but you can not count on them right now they need to develope.

Blank - Blank
Smid - J Schultz
Klefbom - Petry

Having Whitney, N Schultz, Potter, Peckham, Fistric etc they are just place holders.

I hate to say it but a Jaybo would have been a great get for the Oilers and the price wasn't bad though I know Flames wouldnt have sent us him.

Even if we can get at least 1 top pairing dman we could push J Schultz up but not bringing in at least 1 top pair dman we are in trouble

Top Dman - J Schultz
Smid - Petry
Klefbom - Robyn Regehr or veteran Physical guy. Fistric would be okay in this role but I would rather a better version.

Roster next year:

Hall - RNH - Eberle
PRV - Gags - Yak
XX - Horcoff - XX
XX - Lander - Brown

XX - J Schultz
Smid - Petry
Klefbom - XX

Sign big physicall guys willing to fight and battle to fill out the bottom 6 and then trade chips for top dman are Hemsky and Hartikinen, and then all other picks and prospects that it takes.

The Oilers have another big issue in the future.

Sam Gagner's terrible defensive awareness in his own zone.The Oilers will need to replace him in the future.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:59 PM
shogun99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27theROCK View Post

Blank - Blank
Smid - J Schultz
Klefbom - Petry

Top Dman - J Schultz
Smid - Petry

Roster next year:

Hall - RNH - Eberle
PRV - Gags - Yak
XX - Horcoff - XX
XX - Lander - Brown

XX - J Schultz
Smid - Petry
Klefbom - XX

I think the reason why everyone is focusing on the bottom six instead of top pairing D is because the bottom six is easy to fix. Top pairing defense will be hard to fix unless we trade a superstar for superstar, offer sheet this summer or package our first with one of Hemsky, Gagner or MPS. Maybe Shattenkirk could be had from St Louis this summer.

Old
04-08-2013, 01:02 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Of those guys, I don't mind Bickell, but I'd rather see the Oilers grab Stalberg, I see him as a significant better player, I worry that Bickell would become Eager 2.0.

Here's a thought, as far as the Oilers at the draft, would you(this is everyone I know what B47 would do) move Gagner and Potter to the Canes for McBain, Welsh and a pick?

Given the changes we should/expect, to see in the offseason, I see this as way to save capspace and upgrade.
If I am trading Gagner I want back a dman that is bettr than McBain.

Old
04-08-2013, 01:04 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Quote:
Of those guys, I don't mind Bickell, but I'd rather see the Oilers grab Stalberg, I see him as a significant better player, I worry that Bickell would become Eager 2.0.

Here's a thought, as far as the Oilers at the draft, would you(this is everyone I know what B47 would do) move Gagner and Potter to the Canes for McBain, Welsh and a pick?

Given the changes we should/expect, to see in the offseason, I see this as way to save capspace and upgrade.
.... No.

McBain isn't that good guys. We could get him for a 2nd for god sakes.. Gagner? No way.

Old
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
The Oilers have another big issue in the future.

Sam Gagner's terrible defensive awareness in his own zone.The Oilers will need to replace him in the future.
? Sam Gagner still has defensive gaffes, but he's not that bad.

Old
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldNewLettuce View Post
Jones, Hemsky + to NJ for Larsson +
Sign Clarkson, Clowe.
resign dudes

Hall-Hopkins-Eberle
Paajarvi-Gagner-Yakupov
Clowe-Horcoff-Clarkson
Hartikainen-Lander-Brown
Petrell

Smid-Petry
Whitney-Schultz
Klefbom-Larsson
Schultz, Fistric
Why would NJ give up Larsson for these two players? Think about it would you take Hemsky and Jones for Schultz because that is the value they have for Larrson.

Old
04-08-2013, 01:07 PM
oiler-dude

Ryan Malone, please.

Old
04-08-2013, 01:08 PM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Why would NJ give up Larsson for these two players? Think about it would you take Hemsky and Jones for Schultz because that is the value they have for Larrson.
Maybe he means S. Jones... only way that makes sense... otherwise think that trade gets turned down in NHL 13...

Old
04-08-2013, 01:15 PM
stoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
Maybe he means S. Jones... only way that makes sense... otherwise think that trade gets turned down in NHL 13...
He meant Ryan Jones but he had a winky face next to the proposal. It was a joke.

Old
04-08-2013, 01:40 PM
OilerFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
Definitely will be a very interesting list of players who will become available. On a side note i don't believe Briere can be bought out because of his NMC.
I don't believe this is correct.

NMC means the player can't be traded or waived without his permission. He can still be bought out.

Rumor on the Flyers board was that his "concussion" conveniently happened to occur when Holmgren approached him about waiving his NMC in a trade to Boston....if he is injured, he can't be bought out.

Edit: He's apparently fully cured of his concussion symptoms now.....hmmmmmmm.....something fishy with this guy.

Old
04-08-2013, 01:41 PM
OilerFan4Life

I would take a flyer on Ballard.

Here is a guy who has been terribly misused by the Canucks. I'd give him 1 year x 2 million ala Cam Barker and see what he's got left.

Old
04-08-2013, 01:42 PM
27theROCK

And that in a nut shell sums up where the team is right now, Severly lacking on the back end to bridge the gap while the likes of Kelfbom, J Schultz, Marincin, Gernat, Musil etc are ready to be the guys.

This is why management drives me crazy, I have 0 confidence in them stepping up to solve the big problem. They will add a Bryan Bickell or someone and say see we are big and tough we should be set, when in reality this is the time the GM steps up and molds the team.

If it was me I would calling every team about their top dman until someone caved or I got it worked out. No one saw Dion being moved from the Flames so it is hard to say go get Player X but a good GM will make it happen.

Old
04-08-2013, 01:43 PM
OilerFan4Life

Matheson suggesting Oil could have had Forsberg for Hemsky?

@NHLbyMatty2m
If Martin Erat (2 yrs left at $4.5 mil, 31 yrs out) and NASH farmhand fetched WASH Filip Forsberg, did Oil call on Hemsky? Cheaper, younger

Old
04-08-2013, 01:44 PM
OilerFan4Life

That 2nd year on Smyth's contract looks pretty bad right now.

I wonder if management will threaten 94? Retire or we'll amnesty you.....and further tarnish your legacy as an Oiler.

Will be interesting.

Old
04-08-2013, 01:47 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post

NMC means the player can't be traded or waived without his permission. He can still be bought out.

Rumor on the Flyers board was that his "concussion" conveniently happened to occur when Holmgren approached him about waiving his NMC in a trade to Boston....if he is injured, he can't be bought out.

Edit: He's apparently fully cured of his concussion symptoms now.....hmmmmmmm.....something fishy with this guy.
Briere probably figured if the team can sit a player(Shelley) for a few games and then put him on the IR retroactively just to gain a roster spot, that he could do the same and help screw Holmgren around.

Fact of the matter is Holmgren just needs to convince Briere that he's not wanted anymore and trade him. Teams will want his cheap salary.

Old
04-08-2013, 01:49 PM
stoff

Quote:

But for buyouts you have to be put on buyout waivers first before being bought out don't you?

Old
04-08-2013, 01:50 PM
timekeep

Quote:
That 2nd year on Smyth's contract looks pretty bad right now.

I wonder if management will threaten 94? Retire or we'll amnesty you.....and further tarnish your legacy as an Oiler.

Will be interesting.
That contract looked bad when he signed it.

Closed Thread