HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Erat & Michael Latta to the Capitals for Filip Forsberg

Old
04-03-2013, 09:16 PM
maplepred

vCash: 500
Very excited!
Haven't had a forward prospect like this in yeeeears!! So excited for this!!

Weber and rinne locked up longterm, Ellis, josi, Blum, beck, Watson, smith, Wilson, budish, forsberg, aberg, etc. things are looking pretty good!

Also like how no rumours got out in advance about erat being on the block. It was such a shock, poile was very stealth and I give the man full credit for growing a set and getting this move done!

If sk continues so stink he should go in offseason to! So excited today! But will definitely miss Marty, was great for us and will be very missed, best of luck to you in Washington with backstrom and ovie!

Go Preds!!

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:19 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
That's the one!

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:32 PM
AEM6729

I'm glad we shipped out an aging player for a young forward prospect.

I'm concerned that it was initiated by Erat. I'm concerned on two fronts:

1. Erat. I'm sad he wanted out, that he asked out when he saw we'd have trouble making the playoffs, that last summer had something to do with it, that his play suddenly got a lot better after he requested the trade. I'm worried that others want out too, that there's some kind of locker room problem.

2. Poile. Sure, he made a great move, but he didn't want to. He was forced into making it. If it was up to him, he would've stood pat at the deadline when he should've been trying to move at least one of our NTCs. He may not have ever known Forsberg was available if Erat hadn't demanded a trade and put Washington on his list of acceptable destinations.

All in all, it was a good trade, but I wish we had been the ones to initiate it.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:49 PM
PredsV82
Polishing Turds

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
I'm glad we shipped out an aging player for a young forward prospect.

I'm concerned that it was initiated by Erat. I'm concerned on two fronts:

1. Erat. I'm sad he wanted out, that he asked out when he saw we'd have trouble making the playoffs, that last summer had something to do with it, that his play suddenly got a lot better after he requested the trade. I'm worried that others want out too, that there's some kind of locker room problem.

2. Poile. Sure, he made a great move, but he didn't want to. He was forced into making it. If it was up to him, he would've stood pat at the deadline when he should've been trying to move at least one of our NTCs. He may not have ever known Forsberg was available if Erat hadn't demanded a trade and put Washington on his list of acceptable destinations.

All in all, it was a good trade, but I wish we had been the ones to initiate it.
nothing like looking for the cloud to go with that silver lining...

truth is, this team SHOULD be much better than they are showing.

People wanting to put the blame blame on Trotz should realize that coaches dont get older and lose their skills.. if the same players and the same coach get worse results, its most likely the players playing worse not the coach coaching worse

and you say Poile should have been actively shopping the guys with NTCs? How exactly does that work without poisoning the water, unless the player initiates it like happened in this case?

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:30 PM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
nothing like looking for the cloud to go with that silver lining...

truth is, this team SHOULD be much better than they are showing.

People wanting to put the blame blame on Trotz should realize that coaches dont get older and lose their skills.. if the same players and the same coach get worse results, its most likely the players playing worse not the coach coaching worse

and you say Poile should have been actively shopping the guys with NTCs? How exactly does that work without poisoning the water, unless the player initiates it like happened in this case?
I'm just saying, I wish it was Poile's idea to trade Erat and not the other way around. Teams ask players to waive NTCs all the time, it's part of the game. I'd like to think Poile was at least trying to see what kind of return he could get for someone like Erat or Legwand, but it sounds like he wasn't planning on doing anything at all until Erat approached him.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

as far as when Forsberg could play......

In the Trouba thread, it was stated he could play 6 games without burning the first year of the ELC.

We have 11 games left and poile said he would be here next week. Minimum of 3 games will pass. I am hoping he plays the last 5 games with us, and if we make the playoffs, we go ahead and burn the year and try to win what we can.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Neal Before Zod

I'm sorry to see Erat go. He was definitely one of the most consistent players we've ever had, if not the most consistent. Although he stated he wanted out, I wish him the best. He gave us many, many good years of solid production. I will put him in the same class as Kimmo Timonen, Scott Walker, and Steve Sullivan as players I would never consider cheering against.

As for him asking for a trade...I don't know the exact reason, but I honestly think this has been brewing for a while, if not all season. He hasn't been awful this year, but things certainly weren't "as usual." I felt like his effort level was down. He's always been somewhat of a turnover machine...but this year I noticed a lot more poor offensive plays where he tried to be too fancy, dangling the puck around haphazardly with his mouth guard hanging out of his mouth like he just don't care.

Whether or not this is a move Poile wanted to make, or if Poile was going to make a move, this is a good move for the Preds. We have not lived up to expectations this season, and much of that is due to subpar play from our veteran players. At any given time, one of Weber, Legwand, Fisher, and Erat were not playing to their level -- not to mention inconsistent play from other guys like Kostitsyn. I can honestly say Weber has found his game, and Fisher definitely stepped his game up later in the season...but the thing was I think the effort was always there, they weren't producing.

For whatever reason, the other vets have just been in and out...sometimes playing well, and other times they were like ghosts. Erat, though he's tied for the team lead in points, falls into that category. I did see effort out of him, especially early...but something changed.

It's time the Preds turn over a new leaf. We have Peks and Webs signed through the apocalypse, and we have seen some promising play out of some of our young players and prospects. If there was a year to pick missing the playoffs, this is a good one. We're still in it...and while part of me wants to see the team tank for a good draft spot, I don't want to see the effort drop. In any case, this is a good opportunity to retool for the future. And I think trading for an elite prospect does that for us. I don't know exactly when Forsberg will be ready, but I am excited to see what we can do. It's good to have a solid vet group, but sometimes it can get stale. Maybe that happened with Erat.

I'm glad Erat asked for a trade out rather than becoming a lockerroom cancer.

Neal Before Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:32 PM
OV3CHK1NG

Anyone want to give me an indication of what type of player Erat is? Was he the best winger in Nashville (not including this season)?

In an interview with Washingtonpost columnist he said "all I want to do is win"? Can that be taken with face value? Pretty sad day for us caps fans. Not to mention the xenophobia has been ever increasing in our fanbase after the likes of Semin haunting us with his enigmatic play in recent years.

OV3CHK1NG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:38 PM
triggrman

vCash: 557
He's got good puck skills but skates with his head down alot, having said that though, he's still strong on his skates and is a good play maker. He turns the puck over a bunch but back checks hard.

He's a good dude, but very quiet.

He will be missed but really was the goat more this season than the hero.

Colin Wilson is our best winger but he's injured. Bourque and Wilson are better goal scorers.

Last season, Erat probably was our best winger.

Next season, he would have been battling for ice time with Beck, Bourque, Hornqvist, SK, etc.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:40 PM
Webersmashpuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by OV3CHK1NG View Post
Anyone want to give me an indication of what type of player Erat is? Was he the best winger in Nashville (not including this season)?

In an interview with Washingtonpost columnist he said "all I want to do is win"? Can that be taken with face value? Pretty sad day for us caps fans. Not to mention the xenophobia has been ever increasing in our fanbase after the likes of Semin haunting us with his enigmatic play in recent years.
Erat should be a top line guy on any team in the league. He is well rounded and can pass or shoot.

I believe him when he says he wants to win. The other day he broke out of his funk and after the game said something like "I don't care if I score I want to win." He will leave everything on the ice and thats why he is a fan favorite here in Nashville.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:45 PM
OV3CHK1NG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
Erat should be a top line guy on any team in the league. He is well rounded and can pass or shoot.

I believe him when he says he wants to win. The other day he broke out of his funk and after the game said something like "I don't care if I score I want to win." He will leave everything on the ice and thats why he is a fan favorite here in Nashville.
How defensively "defensive" are the systems here in Nash that Trotz runs? Because as a caps fans (call me naive) I see 35-40 even strength points from Erat season to season. He isnt going to get much power play time in Washington as Ovechkin Backstrom Ribero Green and one of Laich/Brouwer usually are out there for the entirety of the two minutes...

Hypothetically is a guy like Martin St Louis (consistently an 80pts per season guy), how many points a season would they get? (prorated to nashville's system)

Thanks again.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:46 PM
Webersmashpuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
He's got good puck skills but skates with his head down alot, having said that though, he's still strong on his skates and is a good play maker. He turns the puck over a bunch but back checks hard.

He's a good dude, but very quiet.

He will be missed but really was the goat more this season than the hero.

Colin Wilson is our best winger but he's injured. Bourque and Wilson are better goal scorers.

Last season, Erat probably was our best winger.

Next season, he would have been battling for ice time with Beck, Bourque, Hornqvist, SK, etc
The more I think about it the more I believe this is why he asked for a trade. Erat does get frustrated and his play shows sometimes. This combined with his and the teams poor play might have just made him want to do a change of scenery.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:50 PM
Webersmashpuck

Quote:
How defensively "defensive" are the systems here in Nash that Trotz runs? Because as a caps fans (call me naive) I see 35-40 even strength points from Erat season to season. He isnt going to get much power play time in Washington as Ovechkin Backstrom Ribero Green and one of Laich/Brouwer usually are out there for the entirety of the two minutes...

Hypothetically is a guy like Martin St Louis (consistently an 80pts per season guy), how many points a season would they get? (prorated to nashville's system)

Thanks again.
The system doesn't hinder Erat as much as line mates. Play him with Ovechkin and expect 80 pts because he is very good at passing and can still score goals. On the 3rd line with no PP time, expect around the 35-40 points.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:52 PM
triggrman

Quote:

Thanks again.
For the wingers? Not much. Trotz doesn't like neutral zone turnovers and likes to get pucks deep, but it's not like a left wing lock or right wing lock. Our centers cover the late man and play a little higher in the zone, wingers have green lights to stay deeper.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:05 PM
OV3CHK1NG

Quote:
For the wingers? Not much. Trotz doesn't like neutral zone turnovers and likes to get pucks deep, but it's not like a left wing lock or right wing lock. Our centers cover the late man and play a little higher in the zone, wingers have green lights to stay deeper.
so whats the issue in nashville in terms of offense year to year? Why cant they score? is it a personnel issue?

Old
04-03-2013, 11:08 PM
PredsV82
Polishing Turds

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
I'm just saying, I wish it was Poile's idea to trade Erat and not the other way around. Teams ask players to waive NTCs all the time, it's part of the game. I'd like to think Poile was at least trying to see what kind of return he could get for someone like Erat or Legwand, but it sounds like he wasn't planning on doing anything at all until Erat approached him.
well, in truth, trading Erat for a prospect only makes sense in two circumstances: a full on rebuild, or Erat asking for a trade.

If you think Poile should have been in "rebuild" mode because of this one crappy half season, then you are a bit of a quitter, IMO...

With our lack of offense, trading Erat(just when his contract finally gets cheap) for a prospect, even a very promising one, is incredibly dumb if we intend to compete any time in the next two years. However, Erat forced his hand and as a result Poile has a big hole to fill to keep us from suffering through a full 82 game suck job next year

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:09 PM
triggrman

Quote:
so whats the issue in nashville in terms of offense year to year? Why cant they score? is it a personnel issue?
depends on who you ask.

Trotz is a stickler for turnovers, wants ever puck deep so it takes away some creativity. Our system is hard on centers but not so much wingers. JP Dumont, Kariya, Sullivan, Sk and Erat have all excelled.

Year to year our offense isn't bad, it was ranked 8th last season with the top powerplay in the league. In fact our offense was far better than Washington's last season, and was close the season before.

We don't have a superstar but usually have depth. This season injuries and lagging play have hurt us.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:14 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
depends on who you ask.

Trotz is a stickler for turnovers, wants ever puck deep so it takes away some creativity. Our system is hard on centers but not so much wingers. JP Dumont, Kariya, Sullivan, Sk and Erat have all excelled.

Year to year our offense isn't bad, it was ranked 8th last season with the top powerplay in the league. In fact our offense was far better than Washington's last season, and was close the season before.

We don't have a superstar but usually have depth. This season injuries and lagging play have hurt us.
Include to the above the fact that the team generally operated under a limited payroll and so relied on lesser talented players and a strong two-way game to stay competitive.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:34 AM
FloridaCap
Beaglechuk Mania

vCash: 2833
Being a Caps fan, I am kind of pissed we let Forsberg go, I'm not going to lie.

But one has to be wary of just how good he is. When he dropped in the draft, everyone just figured, "Eh, it happens. Caps got a steal!", but then GMGM traded him away that quickly? GMGM isn't very good at acquiring players to complement his draft picks, but he is a pretty good evaluator of talent on young players, and him trading him away this early has to raise some red flags. Also, the returns (at least immediate returns) on players making the jump from the Allsvenskan straight to the NHL aren't all that great, so he should take quite a bit of time to start going.

Regardless, he's viewed as a high end prospect, likely with a ceiling as a very good 2nd line RW (if there's an elite RW on the 1st line) with a very good shot. I hope it works out for both sides, and will be following his career.

FloridaCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:18 AM
Iron Duke

Love how a simple change of organizations takes a prospect from being highly touted and a potential stud to someone to be cautious about.

Old
04-04-2013, 01:21 AM
Predsboro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
Love how a simple change of organizations takes a prospect from being highly touted and a potential stud to someone to be cautious about.
Kind of like how Tootoo was a scourge, dirty player when he was in Nashville ... and now that he wears the winged wheel, NBC is all over his jock about how he finishes his checks, plays tough, etc.

Par for the course as a Predators fan ...

Predsboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:27 AM
Tomas W

Congrats on a great prospect Nashville, I don't think you will be unhappy with F.Forsberg. He loves the game to much to let his talent go to waste. Sweden isnt exactly stacked with great forward prospects, but F.Forsberg is one of the best, and it's important Swedish hockey that he has a succesfull development. I'm bummed that he went to a division rival to DRW though.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:29 AM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
Congrats on a great prospect Nashville, I don't think you will be unhappy with F.Forsberg. He loves the game to much to let his talent go to waste. Sweden isnt exactly stacked with great forward prospects, but F.Forsberg is one of the best, and it's important that he pan out for Swedish hockey in the future. I'm bummed that he went to a division rival to DRW though.
Not for long. We can be friends starting next season.

Old
04-04-2013, 01:31 AM
Tomas W

Quote:
Oh, yeah forgot about that.

Well then. I can follow Forsberg with good conscience!

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:33 AM
Predsboro

Quote:
Neh - ver ... Never ... lol

Predsboro is offline   Reply With Quote