HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Vanek to Columbus

Old
04-10-2013, 10:19 PM
SabresBills2012

vCash: 500
Vanek to Columbus

Vanek to Colmbus for Rangers 1st and kings 1st.

Sabres have 4 1st's in this years draft.

Trade a 1st(Kings) and Stafford to the Ducks for Bobby Ryan.

SabresBills2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:21 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Why would Columbus waste two firsts on this deal?

Vanek's not worth that.

And your follow-up won't fetch Bobby Ryan, either.

04-10-2013, 10:23 PM
Chacal667

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBills2012 View Post
Vanek to Colmbus for Rangers 1st and kings 1st.

Sabres have 4 1st's in this years draft.

Trade a 1st(Kings) and Stafford to the Ducks for Bobby Ryan.
really ?

Chacal667 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:25 PM
Chacal667

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Why would Columbus waste two firsts on this deal?

Vanek's not worth that.

And your follow-up won't fetch Bobby Ryan, either.
it depend, we r not talking about top10 picks here...

Chacal667 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:26 PM
SabresBills2012

They're about 21 Million under the cap next year and need to get the to floor and they could get twice that at trade deadline next season.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:28 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacal667 View Post
it depend, we r not talking about top10 picks here...
Probably not, no, but I still don't see Columbus weakening their draft position by giving up two firsts in a deep draft year......for Tomas Vanek of all players.

Even if they WANTED to trade two first round picks without the intention of moving in the draft - which is usually the case when a team is trading two1sts - they could do a hell of a lot better than Tomas Vanek.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:28 PM
Avs44

vCash: 3319
Yeah....nice try. Columbus would be dumb to give up two 1sts for Vanek IMO. CBJ is a borderline playoff team, but they should still not be sacrificing their future. That is not a path to success. There is no way that gets you Ryan either.

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:35 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Probably not, no, but I still don't see Columbus weakening their draft position by giving up two firsts in a deep draft year......for Tomas Vanek of all players.

Even if they WANTED to trade two first round picks without the intention of moving in the draft - which is usually the case when a team is trading two1sts - they could do a hell of a lot better than Tomas Vanek.
Yeah, Thomas Vanek..What a scrub. He's only outscoring CBJ's point leader by 10, in 10 less games played.

Which is not to say this deal makes sense for Columbus, because it doesn't. But good luck finding a better player than Vanek for 2 mid to late firsts.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:39 PM
SabresBills2012

You might be right about the Stafford and the first, but they have about 9M in space and 7 UFA's and i believe 4 RFA's so for a Million less and extra first just might get it done. Thats why i'm hear posting instead in Darcey's seat at First Niagara Center, then again maybe i should be.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:57 PM
Avs44

vCash: 3319
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBills2012 View Post
You might be right about the Stafford and the first, but they have about 9M in space and 7 UFA's and i believe 4 RFA's so for a Million less and extra first just might get it done. Thats why i'm hear posting instead in Darcey's seat at First Niagara Center, then again maybe i should be.
If they had to trade Ryan for salary, they could get a better deal elsewhere. Teams would be all over a guy like Ryan.

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:07 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Yeah, Thomas Vanek..What a scrub. He's only outscoring CBJ's point leader by 10, in 10 less games played.

Which is not to say this deal makes sense for Columbus, because it doesn't. But good luck finding a better player than Vanek for 2 mid to late firsts.
Seems to me like Columbus is doing pretty admirably this year, sans-Vanek.

Tell me why they'd give up two valuable 1sts for the right to pay Vanek over $7 mil next season, when they're currently in the hunt for a playoff spot this year and just recently traded for another big name player?

Note that they didn't give up any of their multiple 1sts to acquire Gaborik.

You're right, it doesn't make sense for Columbus. At all.

Let me put it this way. There's still a chance Dallas ends up with two 1sts at this year's draft, depending on how well Boston does in the playoffs.

I'd be mortified if the Stars pulled off a draft day deal and gave up both picks to Buffalo for Vanek. I'd much rather they used the picks to move up in the draft, instead of giving them up for a player who can easily bolt at the end of the next season if he's not happy with his new team.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:08 PM
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS

vCash: 300
ew no thanks

drinking bleach irl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:22 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Seems to me like Columbus is doing pretty admirably this year, sans-Vanek.

Tell me why they'd give up two valuable 1sts for the right to pay Vanek over $7 mil next season, when they're currently in the hunt for a playoff spot this year and just recently traded for another big name player?

Note that they didn't give up any of their multiple 1sts to acquire Gaborik.

You're right, it doesn't make sense for Columbus. At all.

Let me put it this way. There's still a chance Dallas ends up with two 1sts at this year's draft, depending on how well Boston does in the playoffs.

I'd be mortified if the Stars pulled off a draft day deal and gave up both picks to Buffalo for Vanek. I'd much rather they used the picks to move up in the draft, instead of giving them up for a player who can easily bolt at the end of the next season if he's not happy with his new team.
lol ...he already said it didn't make sense for Columbus to do it ... that's because of the position their franchise is in.

However..in a general sense...to get a player of Vaneks ability at the cost of only 2 late 1st round picks is a steal.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:26 PM
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post

However..in a general sense...to get a player of Vaneks ability at the cost of only 2 late 1st round picks is a steal.
There's a reason the Wild ponied up two good prospects, a 1st, and a 2nd for a similar term with Pominville.

drinking bleach irl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:48 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Not close for Vanek. Rather lower the number of picks to just one, and add a promising group of youngsters like Johansen/Savard/Atkinson/etc.

Doesn't make much sense for Columbus. They are a borderline playoff team and still need to continue on the same path they're on.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:52 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Quote:

One of the league's top goal scorers and garbagemen playing in his prime who is on pace for 44G-90pts isn't worth two late round 1st rounders? Modo, you are generally right on the ball but you are SERIOUSLY undervaluing Thomas Vanek here.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:56 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:

Do you watch Buffalo?

"Thomas Vanek of all players." - what's that supposed to mean, he sucks? Columbus will be lucky to get two players in this draft with those picks, let alone one, that will equal the caliber of Thomas Vanek in their careers.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:58 PM
Djp

The price for Vanek will be 2 quality young players + a 1st.

The issue with then flipping picks in the 2014 draft either was due to:

1. Sabres ate some Salary.

2. Buffalo wanted the other young goalie but settled on Hackett so to make up for that they flipped 2014 pics.

The quality of Vanek's players should be on paper better than what Buffalo got for Pominville. One of the porospects coming back for Vanek would have to be a top 3 prospect (neither of minnesota players were top 3)

I dont see Columbus giving up 2 of their 3 unless one of the 3 made it to the conference finals where they would be 27-30.

As it stands now the Rangers would be in the 12-19 range, Kings would be in the 20-24 range while Columbus would be 8-16. i dont see LA catching anaheim in the standings.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 07:42 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

no thanks, we just got Gaborik in a trade for valuable assets, the firsts won't be going anywhere unless its in a deal for a young #1C

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 08:37 AM
Kev22

The Jackets also have 4 key RFA's to re-sign in the offseason. Bobrovsky, Calvert, Atkinson and Anisimov all need new contracts and there's been talk that they will try to sign Gaborik to an extension this summer. I don't think there's any room for Vanek, unless the Sabres are willing to take a contract back like Umberger.

Kev22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 08:39 AM
Kev22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
no thanks, we just got Gaborik in a trade for valuable assets, the firsts won't be going anywhere unless its in a deal for a young #1C
Valuable only in the sense we were able to obtain Gaborik. With the exception of Dorsett, the pieces sent to the Rangers were not part of the long term plan.

Kev22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 08:51 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
So are we agreed that this isn't a good deal for either side?

04-11-2013, 09:18 AM
TSA0402

I'd rather Columbus keep their 1st round picks. I'm still shocked they got Gaborik without giving up one of them(granted they gave up two equivalent assets).

Not to mention the previously stated cap concerns, they need to resign key players before taking on another huge contract.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:33 AM
dkollidas

I'd love to get Nick Foligno to Buffalo. Would he be available as part of a deal for Vanek??? Please?

dkollidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:22 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkollidas View Post
I'd love to get Nick Foligno to Buffalo. Would he be available as part of a deal for Vanek??? Please?
Probably not.

Just traded for him in the off season and signed him to a new deal.. Fits in with the defined team identity, hard working, hard checking, handles the puck well, about the only negative to this point is he just hasn't finished. Don't know if it's just snake bit of if that's the way he is.

Don't see him leaving anytime soon, but then with the new front office no ones really sure what to expect.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote