HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[NAS/WAS] Martin Erat and Michael Latta for Filip Forsberg

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2013, 07:27 PM
Corsi Close

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
Maybe there is good reason 10 gm's passed on him last June. Maybe the Caps found out what that reason was these last 9 months.

GMGM is not stupid. Obviously he felt that Forsberg was expendable. (ie NOT a can't miss prospect.)

We'll see in a couple years. Of course by then everyone will have downplayed their reactions, like they do now about the Varlamov trade.
Wrong! And this trade proves it.

Old
04-03-2013, 07:30 PM
Frank Drebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC24 View Post
Wrong! And this trade proves it.
How many times have you seen FF play in the last 18 months? Ever watch him live to really form an opinion on him? Please share what you think his ceiling is.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the only thing you are basing your opinion on is his pre draft ranking.

I suppose Pittsburgh were idiots for trading away Esposito too...

It's OK HF...you know better than actual GM's.

Old
04-03-2013, 07:37 PM
gretskidoo

I like how many people there are that immediately think it's Forsberg that is a crappy prospect and not that this is a last minute desperation trade.

He's already been mentioned in the same vein as Esposito multiple times by different people. The first 18 year old bust, Filip Forsberg.

Old
04-03-2013, 07:39 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

I don't think the Caps should've traded Forsberg but the fact is Erat should be a 60 point forward in DC. He's consistently scored around 50-55 points with linemates that honestly aren't that good. Imagine what he'd do playing with Ovechkin/Backstrom/Ribeiro/Brouwer/Johansson/Laich/Green.

Old
04-03-2013, 07:40 PM
Kezia
Benny

vCash: 50
1 sided trade. I dont get what McPhee was thinking.

Old
04-03-2013, 07:42 PM
Jules Winnfield
Top 6 wing please...

What the **** was McPhee thinking?

In 2009 he wouldn't trade Carlson to get Pronger at a time where the Caps were a legit threat to win the cup but yet he'll trade Forsberg to get Martin ****ing Erat when they're 2 points out of leading the SE?

Caps fans, sorry you guys are dealing with this...

Old
04-03-2013, 07:42 PM
RA9

jesus what a horrible deal for washington.

they were extremely happy when he fell to them last draft, and now they trade him for a B- Prospect, and a guy who can maybe hit 50 pts a year and is on the wrong side of 30? not to mention he has a 4.5M caphit.

Old
04-03-2013, 07:44 PM
Jules Winnfield
Top 6 wing please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps4cup View Post
I don't think the Caps should've traded Forsberg but the fact is Erat should be a 60 point forward in DC. He's consistently scored around 50-55 points with linemates that honestly aren't that good. Imagine what he'd do playing with Ovechkin/Backstrom/Ribeiro/Brouwer/Johansson/Laich/Green.
Meh. Erat is soff.

Old
04-03-2013, 07:50 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
What the **** was McPhee thinking?

In 2009 he wouldn't trade Carlson to get Pronger at a time where the Caps were a legit threat to win the cup but yet he'll trade Forsberg to get Martin ****ing Erat when they're 2 points out of leading the SE?

Caps fans, sorry you guys are dealing with this...
it was a lot more than just carlson

Old
04-03-2013, 07:52 PM
Jules Winnfield
Top 6 wing please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
it was a lot more than just carlson
I understand that but it's the point. He's been stingy about trading his young chips previously but not now?

He was stingy when the Caps were a legit threat to win it all but now it's ok?

Old
04-03-2013, 08:04 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

What a vicious cycle in 2006 the Caps traded Brenden Whitt to Nashville for a 1st. Then take Varlamov with that pick. Then in 2011 trade Varlamov for 2012 1st from Colorado. Then use that pick on Forsberg whom they trade to Nashville.

Old
Brian23

Quote:
I understand that but it's the point. He's been stingy about trading his young chips previously but not now?

He was stingy when the Caps were a legit threat to win it all but now it's ok?
If he can just make the playoffs every year, his job is secured. All Leonsis cares about is making the playoff profits, besides that he seemingly couldn't careless about winning.

Old
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps4cup View Post
I agree about Erat and fitting in nicely in Washington's top six. He is also a very good defensive forward (our best forward last season in both ends IMO). When Erat is on his game he is a very good player who complements his linemates well. He's a better playmaker than shooter, and one thing you might notice is he sometimes will overlook a good shot to make a pass.

04-03-2013, 08:07 PM
McClelland

vCash: 50
Quote:
Remember all the Erat threads from a few years back? Like 2005 or so?

Who is a better backwards skater, Fedorov or Erat

Who has a better work ethic Kovalev or Erat
Its 2013 now ! Everyone who thinks this is a fair trade at this point for Capitals has lost their minds! A Gm desperate to make the playoffs with mediocer goaltending and a lousy defence, giving up a topprospect who develops great and doesnt have any flaws in his game to be worried about.

Erat is a proven 50 pt playmaker but he dont bring in any contender skills to this capital team, probably only make it impossible to resign Ribeiro. This trade makes no sense other then saving the Gm from missing the playoffs, shorthinking and bad timing, why involve Forsberg to get Erat, Gm did a manslaughter here, did a hasty move to save his a ss.

PS. A week ago they were all over Forsberg to come over to finish the season in Hersey, seems his development disappeared in a week without playing any hockey.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle16512724.ab

I suggest Google translate.

Old
04-03-2013, 08:12 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
How many times have you seen FF play in the last 18 months? Ever watch him live to really form an opinion on him? Please share what you think his ceiling is.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the only thing you are basing your opinion on is his pre draft ranking.

Not that I agree that Washington got jobbed on this or anything, but doesn't it also make sense that Nashville's scouting department still thinks highly of Forsberg? Just because he dropped in the draft (a draft in which defensemen were eight of the top ten picks) doesn't necessarily mean a lot IMO.

Old
04-03-2013, 08:12 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Meh. Erat is soff.
This is someone who has never watched Erat play. He is far from soft. He's great in the corners and very hard to knock off the puck. Not afraid to take a hit to make a play and likes to drive to the net.

Erat's problem is turnovers and trying to do too much. This year, add skating to his problems. Being soft has never been an issue however.

Before this season, I would have called Erat one of the most underrated players in the NHL. He's stunk this year, but if he can rebound you're looking at a borderline 1st line veteran winger.

Old
04-03-2013, 08:13 PM
danmcn12
#freeRedmond

Quote:
Originally Posted by RA9 View Post
jesus what a horrible deal for washington.

they were extremely happy when he fell to them last draft, and now they trade him for a B- Prospect, and a guy who can maybe hit 50 pts a year and is on the wrong side of 30? not to mention he has a 4.5M caphit.
Maybe hit 50?!?!!? He is a constant 50-60 point player on the Predators, a team whose best offensive player, aside from Erat, has been Weber. The best players he's played with is what, JP Dumount, Karyia for a year, and timonen? The same crap happened with Nash last off season, who he plays with IS a big deal. All this thread is proving is Erat is criminally underrated.

Old
04-03-2013, 08:15 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I agree with PA. Erat is not soft. He will battle for the puck, and it's hard to knock him off of it. He skates well. He plays sound defense.

Trying to do too much to make a play has always been his problem. There used to be a joke that his favorite move in the shootout (or on a breakaway) was deke-deke-deke-deke-deke-deke-deke-lose the puck

Old
04-03-2013, 08:29 PM
Frank Drebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClelland View Post
Its 2013 now ! Everyone who thinks this is a fair trade at this point for Capitals has lost their minds! A Gm desperate to make the playoffs with mediocer goaltending and a lousy defence, giving up a topprospect who develops great and doesnt have any flaws in his game to be worried about.

Erat is a proven 50 pt playmaker but he dont bring in any contender skills to this capital team, probably only make it impossible to resign Ribeiro. This trade makes no sense other then saving the Gm from missing the playoffs, shorthinking and bad timing, why involve Forsberg to get Erat, Gm did a manslaughter here, did a hasty move to save his a ss.

PS. A week ago they were all over Forsberg to come over to finish the season in Hersey, seems his development disappeared in a week without playing any hockey.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle16512724.ab

I suggest Google translate.
That was an off topic post. Martin Erat was an HF meme back in 2005, that's all I meant by that post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Not that I agree that Washington got jobbed on this or anything, but doesn't it also make sense that Nashville's scouting department still thinks highly of Forsberg? Just because he dropped in the draft (a draft in which defensemen were eight of the top ten picks) doesn't necessarily mean a lot IMO.
All I'm saying is that GMGM didn't go: "you want our best, cant miss prospect? Sure!" I'm just thinking that he wasn't as highly regarded by caps management as HF posters, hence why he was traded for erat.

Old
04-03-2013, 08:37 PM
CanuckLuck

I agree with those who say Erat is under-rated. he's been hiding under as rock in Nashville. Definitely not a soft player that some fans assume. very difficult to knock off the puck. With some more talent surrounding him I think Erat will flourish in Washington.

can't say this is a win for Washington yet this trade has to be re-evaluated down the road - Saying McPhee has been fleeced in here is definitely premature.

Old
04-03-2013, 08:42 PM
maplepred

Pretty excited as a preds fan, finally a forward prospect with some star potential! Exciting!! Been a several years since we had a forward prospect I was this excited about, things finally starting to look good offensively in Nashville with Wilson, beck, smith and now forsberg!

Will miss erat though, definitely served us well and was second longest serving predator only to legwand. Good luck in Washington Marty!

Old
04-03-2013, 08:47 PM
Bill_Crosby

Quote:

I guess the posters that called Nieuwendyk moments after he traded Neil were wrong too because they couldn't possibly know more than actual GM's eh?

A lot of the Swedish posters have chimed in saying Forsberg looks like the real deal in this thread. Even if he's not, which could very well be the case, is Erat the player you want to dump one of your teams top prospects for?

Old
04-03-2013, 09:01 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
That was an off topic post. Martin Erat was an HF meme back in 2005, that's all I meant by that post.

All I'm saying is that GMGM didn't go: "you want our best, cant miss prospect? Sure!" I'm just thinking that he wasn't as highly regarded by caps management as HF posters, hence why he was traded for erat.
I guess it just depends on what GM wants. Does he want to make the playoffs this year? Is that more important to him than waiting on a player who isn't helping him at the moment?

Old
04-03-2013, 09:07 PM
motorace

Gmgm scouts voted unanimously that forsberg was tradable.

Old
04-03-2013, 09:13 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

How often do we hear about scouts voting on the tradability of a player? I'm just curious, because this is the first time I can recall it being brought up.

Closed Thread