Notices

just a quick question for some meaningless conversation

Old
04-04-2013, 11:40 AM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

vCash: 500
just a quick question for some meaningless conversation

does jagr become the second greatest player to ever wear our uniform the first time he takes the ice for us?

orr ranks for me easily top 3 players of all time... but im not sure any other bruin makes my list of top 10. I think jagr does make my list of top 10...

this guy was amazingly special in his prime. Im not saying we will see that player play that way for us... but just as a question, do you all think as a career, he ranks ahead of guys like bourque and esposito and shore and Schmidt for all time greats?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:43 AM
zaYG

I'd say him and Bourque are likely around the same place on the totem pole.

zaYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:44 AM
SlickM32

Phil Esposito, Ray Bourque, Johnny Buyck, Adam Oates, Cam Neely, Eddie Shore, Milt Schmidt, Tiny Thompson, Terry Sawchuk, Bernie Parent, Gerry Cheevers, Jean Ratelle, Brad Park, Guy Lapointe, Paul Coffey, Brian Leetch

SlickM32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:44 AM
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon

I put him behind Bourque but ahead of Esposito, Schmidt & Shore. I have a feeling that ranking him so highly might not be popular on this board but that's how I see it. So, third greatest to ever put on a Bruins jersey IMO.

Jack Donaghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:45 AM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
Orr
Bourque
Jagr
Espo

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:46 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Paul Coffey...

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:46 AM
Actp
DO NOT TRADE KREJCI!

I would put him behind our three defensemen, Schmidt and Espo.

Actp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:48 AM
Highatop325
Only took 4 months!

Gotta throw Mark Recchi in there somewhere

Highatop325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:49 AM
Cronuss

vCash: 2823
Only problem I have with this conversation in general is that I don't feel like Jagr is a true Bruin, but rather a mercenary; a hired gun.

If he re-signs with the Bruins for 1+ years, then he is part of the family. Until then, he is just an awesome weapon to have and I will enjoy watching and cheering for him while he is here.

Cronuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:49 AM
SlickM32

Chara possibly as well

SlickM32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:51 AM
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon

As much as I love Recchi, I don't think he belongs in the same tier. You didn't see many (any?) teams or coaches racking their brains trying to figure out how to shut down Mark Recchi.

Jack Donaghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:07 PM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Orr
Bourque
Jagr
Shore
Schmidt

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:11 PM
reidy
@reidjjackson

Send a message via AIM to reidy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
Orr
Bourque
Jagr
Shore
Schmidt
This is correct.

reidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:11 PM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronuss View Post
Only problem I have with this conversation in general is that I don't feel like Jagr is a true Bruin, but rather a mercenary; a hired gun.

If he re-signs with the Bruins for 1+ years, then he is part of the family. Until then, he is just an awesome weapon to have and I will enjoy watching and cheering for him while he is here.
That's fine, but neither were some of the other guys on the list. The question is does he immediately become #2 to ever put the sweater on.

So hard to judge players across generations

I put Jagr even with Espo (how do you separate them)

which in my book leaves him behind, Orr Ray Bourque, and Milt Schmidt

And of course I forgot Shore, not sure he goes above or below

Last edited by JoeIsAStud: 04-04-2013 at 12:14 PM. Reason: content
JoeIsAStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:12 PM
UConn126
Bass Player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickM32 View Post
Phil Esposito, Ray Bourque, Johnny Buyck, Adam Oates, Cam Neely, Eddie Shore, Milt Schmidt, Tiny Thompson, Terry Sawchuk, Bernie Parent, Gerry Cheevers, Jean Ratelle, Brad Park, Guy Lapointe, Paul Coffey, Brian Leetch
For a split second I read Johnny Bucyk as Johnny Boychuk and thought man, one of these things is not like the others.

UConn126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:19 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

I always have tried to imagine the 'greatest' team of bruins if we could clone the guys... take them all on their best day...

for me I try to slot guys into appropriate roles so I don't stack my team with only scorers... I need some grinders too

I think jagr now becomes my skilled rw ahead of middleton or hodge. neely remains my power rw. oreilly gets the nod for grinder/checking rw. my centers are probably Esposito for the top line with jagr... might be a style clash though... maybe oates or Schmidt could take the spot. thornton gets a spot on my power line with neely. kasper was the best pure checker I ever saw for us... crappy coach but great shadow shut down checking center.

lw is sort of our black hole... didn't see johnny buysk play and think im spelling his name incorrect but I guess if only by default I put him on top. kevin stevens or Milan lucic battle a bit for my legion of doom style line with neely/thornton. and then for checker I guess don marcotte gets my nod.

fourth line id probably dress kids with potential like a young phil kessel... had so much hope for him... and wed need a HW... best HW I felt suited up for us was Colton Orr or Jay Miller maybe.

My defense starts with orr and adds Bourque to the mix but I don't think theyd pair up good. Bourque always seemed to be less than he was when paired up with supestars. Chara and Park and Shore join my top 5... and then I realize I should put coffey into the mix but he is too one dimensional and orr already supplies that one dimension. I guess the sixth dman could be a kid that I thought would be magical for us... gord kluzak maybe... if not for his injuries I think he would have been something else.

for goaltenders didn't see tompson or bismark and was such a different era. I put shore in my top team cause everyone does but mostly I want to have seen guys play before im certain theyd make it. so many greats in the old original 6 days... but I will take tim Thomas on his best day as quickly as id take any of them. Thomas was simply unbeatable at times for us and my whole theory putting this team together is taking guys on their best days. so Thomas gets one of my nods and Gerry cheevers was money. if a game was important cheevers raised his level of play about as much as anyone could. for me having a goalie that can understand when to raise his game is gold so ill take him on my alltime team too.

I guess im missing a fourth liner... I usually throw ruzicka on the list... not that there would be any icetime left over for him, but man I loved the way he oozed slick moves on the ice when he was in his prime for us... just fun to watch him beat 3-4 guys at a time while taking the puck around. and for pressbox guys... character would matter. Don Sweeney and Andrew Ference impress me a lot with their character. Dave Poulin did. Mark Rechhi did.

missing so many of my alltime favorites off the list... and so many great players too... but if I was coach and could pick guys on their best days... this is how id put together my alltime team

Old
04-04-2013, 12:42 PM
Neely08

Jags is a hell of a player. In his prime, one of the hardest guys to stop one vs one all time. Dale Hawerchuk called him a left hand shot Mario. As far as goal scoring, Hawerchuk isn't too far off the mark. Incredible combination of size, reach, hands, and skating. One of the greatest wings of all time.

As a Bruin? Uh, who is our all time leader in playoff goals? Not only that, our all time leader in scaring the living **** out of the opposition due to fear of getting relentlessly smoked all night? He did all of that before age 26, when he was cut down. As a Bruin, Neely falls in behind Espo and Bourque.

As a Bruin, Recchi undoubtedly helped lead us to a Cup. Not even sure Jags knows where the bathroom is yet.

We didn't get the Jagr that could pot 50 a year, and dominate nearly every time he came over the boards, when he wanted to. We got the player Jagr is now. Lets let him play some games before we start drawing comparisons to Orr.

I know what you're asking. It just feels a little sacrilegious. Especially considering his first choice last summer was the habs.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:45 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
^Think the OP means if you take each guy who's every played a game for the B's in his prime.

Hence Coffey and Leetch's names being brought up even though they were on their last legs here.

04-04-2013, 02:13 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
^Think the OP means if you take each guy who's every played a game for the B's in his prime.

Hence Coffey and Leetch's names being brought up even though they were on their last legs here.
yeah its an abstract question that I might have possed awkwardly

the way I think of it... if you were listing a list of greatest hockey players of all time... gretzky and howe and Lemieux on that list... everyone on that list...

I know orr would be at the top for most of us... but then who else from bruins history makes the top 10? does bourque make your top 10?

messier for me... maybe bobby hull... its subjective I know...

I think jagr has always been in my top 10...

I try not to be a homer... is there any other bruin besides orr that ranks ahead of jagr as an all time great?

I guess that's my question... or is this guy something really super special. I wish we were getting him in his prime... but even getting to see such a great in our uniform... is something special I guess

I hope we will see moments of his greatness... and as for leading us to a cup... I think he has grown up a lot in recent years from all reports.

he got great reviews from philly as a leader... and to a lesser extent in dallas too.

with soderberg coming over... jagr might be a great guy to help soderberg adjust... and even krecji could probably learn some from jagr... maybe Horton/lucic too...

not sure Bergeron has much to learn... and I guess seguin wont play with jagr since both are rw.... but this could be a good leadership situation for jagr...

Old
04-04-2013, 02:51 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Jagr is no longer an elite player,probably a second line player now. Doesn't belong on any list here.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:59 PM
TP
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
Jagr is no longer an elite player,probably a second line player now. Doesn't belong on any list here.
see post 18

TP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:15 PM
wetcamelfood

Meh this is the kind of thing the Red Sox do, they get an aging rental but say "we had them and they were in the HOF" (Andre Dawson, Tom Seaver, etc.), hardly the same thing

wetcamelfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:35 PM
pie19
HFBoards Sponsor

Eddie Shore has to be in the top three. He won more MVP trophies than any other defenseman(4 times). Bobby is the only other to win it more than once(3 times). Not the only reason, but hey, that's a hell of a fact to top a resume with.

pie19 is offline   Reply With Quote