HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Hail Shero: The Best Damn GM In The Business

Old
04-05-2013, 08:19 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
I'm not so sure I'd give as much praise to Shero as some of you give him.

Let's be honest, we only got Iginla because Jarome wanted to come here and he jinxed the trade with Boston. If not for him doing that, Boston would've gotten Iginla. Shero basically offered an underwhelming package however overpaid for 2 pluggers like Morrow & Murray.
I don't buy that he lucked into Iginla. He built the roster that Iginla wanted to come to. He made it abundantly clear that he was going for it this year by signing Morrow and Murray. And I fully believe Shero had plenty of reason to believe Iginla would in fact pick us over Boston. If he thought we needed to offer more, I think he would have. He knew he could win the deal with what he offered though, so why give up more?

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:35 AM
plaidchuck

Wow people complaining about the same thing over and over, Michalek-->Semin-->Strait-->Iginla. Rinse lather and repeat.

Doesn't matter anyways since we should have gotten Clowe and Jagr

Last edited by plaidchuck: 04-05-2013 at 08:41 AM.
plaidchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:41 AM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck View Post
Wow people complaining about the same thing over and over, Michalek-->Semin-->Strait-->Iginla. Rinse lather and repeat.
I really don't think anybody is complaining. They just aren't genuflecting to Shero either. He makes mistakes just like every other GM. Thankfully he makes less than every other GM too.

MrBurghundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:08 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
I really don't think anybody is complaining. They just aren't genuflecting to Shero either. He makes mistakes just like every other GM. Thankfully he makes less than every other GM too.
a few people are complaining. but for the most part you're right. This board (the internet in general) does not take disagreement well. Middle ground is usually frowned upon.

Old
04-05-2013, 09:21 AM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

I love Shero, but part of this is because I want to love Shero. I blame every issue this team has on the coach, when in reality, he's not the person responsible for bringing in talent. Now, I do believe that Shero, by-and-large, brings in guys Dan wants, but if Shero doesn't agree, then he and Dan need to sit down and get on the same page philosophically.

That said, I also love his work because I'm making some assumptions. These assumptions will be proven or debunked in exactly 3 months. See, I'm assuming that he knows what Letang and Malkin are doing. I'm assuming he didn't trade for Iginla just to let him walk in the off-season. And I'm assuming he didn't take on Jokinen's superfluous salary without knowing how all of these pieces fit together.

If July 4th (or whenever FA opens this year) comes and goes without the Pens roster falling into place like a perfect, well-laid plan, I'm going to allow things like Tanner Glass and Morrow - Morrow to carry more significance in my opinion-forming than they currently do.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:28 AM
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 4000

Killahpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:34 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSniper26 View Post
Again, the Michalek trade was a salary dump. It was made with the intention of clearing cap space for Parise. We ended up not getting him, but that space that was opened up has since been put to good use anyway. So to say you loved the Iginla/Jokinen/Vokoun deals but hated the Michalek deal doesn't really make any sense because they kind of go hand-in-hand.

As for Boychuk, I don't really see how such a completely risk-free, harmless experiment is something to hold against Shero. He took a shot at something and it didn't work. Unfortunate, but no harm done.

The other criticisms are fair, even though I don't agree with all of them. I like the Murray deal and I think it's too early to tell about the Morrow deal. I do agree that losing Strait for nothing and signing Glass were both bad moves though.
He didn't need to move Z to sigh ZP, he had enough space to sigh him then move Z for peanuts if he got him. People need to remember GMs can go over the cap by 10% in the summer.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:38 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
He didn't need to move Z to sigh ZP, he had enough space to sigh him then move Z for peanuts if he got him. People need to remember GMs can go over the cap by 10% in the summer.
we need to remember that Shero seems to legitimately like the return he got for Michalek too.

Old
04-05-2013, 10:07 AM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

Do people miss Michalek that much?

BrunoPuntzJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:09 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I love Shero, but part of this is because I want to love Shero. I blame every issue this team has on the coach, when in reality, he's not the person responsible for bringing in talent. Now, I do believe that Shero, by-and-large, brings in guys Dan wants, but if Shero doesn't agree, then he and Dan need to sit down and get on the same page philosophically.

That said, I also love his work because I'm making some assumptions. These assumptions will be proven or debunked in exactly 3 months. See, I'm assuming that he knows what Letang and Malkin are doing. I'm assuming he didn't trade for Iginla just to let him walk in the off-season. And I'm assuming he didn't take on Jokinen's superfluous salary without knowing how all of these pieces fit together.

If July 4th (or whenever FA opens this year) comes and goes without the Pens roster falling into place like a perfect, well-laid plan, I'm going to allow things like Tanner Glass and Morrow - Morrow to carry more significance in my opinion-forming than they currently do.
I'm a little more interested to see what happens in the playoffs and what Shero does if things don't work out.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:10 AM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
Michalek was unhappy in Pittsburgh. Shero did him a favor.

sniugneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:13 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
Yes, but where Shero sent him was predicated on his freeing up cap space as part of evaluating the quality of the return.

Old
04-05-2013, 10:14 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
we need to remember that Shero seems to legitimately like the return he got for Michalek too.
That's one and 2 again we have no idea if Michalek asked to be moved

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:22 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
That's one and 2 again we have no idea if Michalek asked to be moved
Who said Michalek asked to be moved? The only thing that was said was that he wasn't happy here (not on a personal level, but in terms of how he felt he fit on the ice). I am sure that Shero went to him, like he did with Paul Martin (it's public record that he did that with Martin), and asked him if he wanted to be moved. Whether or not Michalek said 'yes' or 'if something makes sense', it's pretty clear that he didn't say 'no'.

Old
04-05-2013, 10:25 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoPuntzJones View Post
Do people miss Michalek that much?
No they just like having a legit-sounding excuse to complain about Shero. Clearly the man has no vision for this team and should be fired after we lose 3 in a row tonight.

15 Wins, players doing great.
3 Losses, blame Shero for not trading for my pet winger of choice (this time of year anyway).

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:27 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
No they just like having a legit-sounding excuse to complain about Shero. Clearly the man has no vision for this team and should be fired after we lose 3 in a row tonight.

3 Losses, blame Shero for not trading for my pet winger of choice (this time of year anyway).
no dude, he traded for too many

Old
04-05-2013, 11:13 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

IMO, Shero should still make one very simple move. Call up Beau Bennett.

Old
04-05-2013, 11:32 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

I think it's safe to say that for a team with Cup aspirations this year Shero did the best of anyone. That's not the end of the story though. These things still need answers come playoff time:

-Is Murray fast enough?

-Does Morrow have anything left?

I'd say the jury is out on Jokinen too but they got him for almost nothing so if all he does is kill penalties and win faceoffs I'm fine, but those are two legit questions above given what we gave up for those guys.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:38 AM
Fire Shero*

Quote:
He's a top pairing defenseman in the nhl and we traded him as if he was a fringe nhl player.

He's better than half of our defensemen. I'd take him over Orpik, Murray, Engelland, Despres (for this season at least) and maybe Niskanen. Basically anyone but Letang and Martin. (Yes even Robert Bourtuzzo the future solid bottom pairing dman)

He had one poor season. Orpik has had like 3 straight poor seasons and people (not as many thankfully) still love him because he checked a bunch of people during one shift of the playoffs 3 years ago.

Fire Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:54 AM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
IMO, Shero should still make one very simple move. Call up Beau Bennett.
Only if he forces Bylsma to play him.

MrBurghundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:56 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
He could have moved him and gotten something of value back.

OTT wanted him but the Pens would have had to get a NHL player back so Shero nixed it because of ZP. Had he waited till he lost on ZP to move Z he could have gotten something positive for him.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:01 PM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I'm a little more interested to see what happens in the playoffs and what Shero does if things don't work out.
Tough to say. I will say this: The players seem to love him, but Malkin in particular. Of all the things I've heard people say need to happen to make Geno re-sign, I'm surprised "keeping the coach whom he loves" doesn't top the list more often.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:17 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post

BS.

If he had held onto Z there would have been no need to trade 2 2nds for Murray. Or if he had moved him for a 3rd liner on OTT there would have been no need for the Morrow trade.

And how many times to ppl need to say that we're not worried about the Pens in the reg season? 15 game win streak is great but it really doesn't mean much in the POs.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:20 PM
SteelFish87*

Shero got bent over on the Morrow trade

SteelFish87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:26 PM
gopens66
25-66-92

I'm more impressed with Murray than I ever was with Michalek. No hate towards the player, I'd just rather see a defenseman knock the opposition over and take the puck, than keep backing up and drop himself to the ice.

gopens66 is offline   Reply With Quote