Notices

Should we bring up 4-5 prospects?

Closed Thread

Old
09-25-2003, 09:37 AM
Dan-o

vCash: 500
Should we bring up 4-5 prospects?

I've noticed, especially on the Wild board, how desparately everybody wants our prospects brought up to the NHL. Foy, Brandner, Wanvig, Wallin, Vielleux, Burns, Michalek, etc., etc. Am I the only one that thinks it's INCREDIBLY dumb to bring up more than 1-2 of our young guys?

If we cut guys like Dowd and Hendrickson, they're not gonna go to Houston. The Wild don't want 34-year old centers at their primary affiliate anymore than Dowd and Darby want to go there. By staying with the vets and working the young guys in slowly, we keep the team chemistry, and we don't risk blowing the confidence of our prospects. I just get the impression that a lot of people are so giddy at the idea of seeing new players that they want to bring them up even if they aren't ready for it. Foy and Burns would be obvious examples. Bringing these guys up before they're ready will do nothing but hurt them. They won't get any time on the ice to improve and their confidence will go in the crapper.

I just don't like the idea of having 1/4 of our opening day roster being first time NHLers. What is the rush??????

Old
09-25-2003, 09:58 AM
aylib
User and abuser

Send a message via Yahoo to aylib
[QUOTE=Dan-o] ... it's INCREDIBLY dumb to bring up more than 1-2 of our young guys?

QUOTE]
Is that sentence the reason you are answering with the second part of your answer in a different thread?

Old
09-25-2003, 10:38 AM
ceber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o
I've noticed, especially on the Wild board, how desparately everybody wants our prospects brought up to the NHL. Foy, Brandner, Wanvig, Wallin, Vielleux, Burns, Michalek, etc., etc. Am I the only one that thinks it's INCREDIBLY dumb to bring up more than 1-2 of our young guys?

If we cut guys like Dowd and Hendrickson, they're not gonna go to Houston. The Wild don't want 34-year old centers at their primary affiliate anymore than Dowd and Darby want to go there. By staying with the vets and working the young guys in slowly, we keep the team chemistry, and we don't risk blowing the confidence of our prospects. I just get the impression that a lot of people are so giddy at the idea of seeing new players that they want to bring them up even if they aren't ready for it. Foy and Burns would be obvious examples. Bringing these guys up before they're ready will do nothing but hurt them. They won't get any time on the ice to improve and their confidence will go in the crapper.

I just don't like the idea of having 1/4 of our opening day roster being first time NHLers. What is the rush??????
I remember things being pretty similar last season. A lot of people were upset that Wanvig and Wallin weren't up right away, and many predicted Veilleux would stay up when Darby got healthy.

The preseason games tend to bias people towards the younger guys, I think, just because you get to see them play and if they look good it's exciting. The thing is, we don't get to see the pracitices, nor do we know what Lemaire is really watching for in those preseason games. I really don't trust myself in making picks about who stays or goes. The one thing I'm fairly confident of is that Lemaire won't be bringing anyone in if they aren't ready.

Old
09-25-2003, 11:08 AM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 2900
Lemaire won't be bringing anyone in if they aren't ready.[/QUOTE]

That is it IMO. He has won the cup before. Produced great teams. I concede to his judgement.

Old
09-25-2003, 11:23 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Count me in as well; younger for younger's sake is no way to build a winner. People are fed up with Dowd and Darby, but these guys have been here since day 1, and along with guys like Walz, Bomber, and even Johnson have helped shape the franchise through their work ethic and their willingness to follow Lemaire's plan to the letter. Look at Atlanta - they had a nice set of veteran leaders in Ferraro, Audette, and Bruno, let them all go, and stunk up the rink for years. True, they got some nice rewards for stinking, like Kovalchuk, Lehtonen, and now Coburn, but do they have an identity, and will this talent lead to results? Perhaps, but there is no guarantee, just like there's no guarantee that a young player will get better - some do, and some don't.

Old
09-25-2003, 01:03 PM
Jbcraig1883

I think 2-3 guys should be new this year. I think we have to keep one of Dowd or Darby, with my choice being Dowd. I think Foy, and Michalek can gain alot with more pt down in Houston. I wouldn't mind keeping Brandner, one of Veilleux/Hannula/Cavanaugh for checking role, and one of Wallin/Chouinard. I think Roche needs confidence and the only way he can relax is by staying up, but personally, I think our D is fine. Let Heid, Reitz, Michalek and Dyment round the top 4 in Houston. And if the WWV line has to play in HOuston, then lets see what they can do in the regular season. Then you can let Cullen, Cavs and Cavosie/Hannula be the main checking line or something. All of the guys can benefit because we have finally weaved out the depth old career minor league players so that our own prospects can get solid minutes.

Old
09-25-2003, 01:10 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Aboslutely not. We should have maybe one or two guys come up that have proven themselves time and again in Houston and have basically grown out of playing in the AHL.

I want to see Matt Foy and Mika Hannula down in Houston. We made the mistake of thinking Veilleux was going to do something last year and he hit a pretty big dry period. I think Foy and Hannula are going to be kind of the same. The pacing and the tempo is a lot different in pre-season games then regular season games.

Brandner I believe might be the only one for now that gets a call up only because of his contract and what he has to offer.

Closed Thread