HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wild gets Jason Pominville, '14 4th for Larsson, Hackett 13' 1st + '14 2nd Part 2

Old
04-05-2013, 09:16 AM
MNWILDFAN001

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Pommer is not a rental. He will be re-signed.
You're more confident than me. I think it depends on a few things, how well the Wild do, how much Pommer wants and how much the Wild are willing to give. If the Wild continue to play like they have during this funk, it won't be a very attractive place to re-sign. He will be free to sign anywhere he wants after next season.

MNWILDFAN001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:17 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
and we don't even have to pay him all his salary or take on all of his cap hit? deal makes more sense now.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:33 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I just think Fletcher really misjudged the team's needs here. He went all in on a forward when the defense is nonexistant after the top pairing.
That's my thought as well. I think he was just trying to make a splash because the team was starting to slide and I have this nagging fear it's going to back fire and badly.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:50 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

i think he didn't see any available defensemen outside of rentals who would fit in with the team (cap, future, etc) and didn't want to pay just for rentals. in other words, I think he knows what he's doing...i don't think he's under the illusion that our defense is stellar. I do think with cullen being injured it became more important to get a forward.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:51 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I don't think he got Pominville because the team was sliding but I think he honestly thought the defense was good.

IMO if you've got an okay chance to make the playoffs, make a trade and fill a hole. But don't throw away tons of assets to plug one hole and leave several other glaring holes untouched.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:53 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

We don't know what other trades Fletch was looking into, and we don't know what other potential trades fell through.

We know he was really only looking for character players who would be part of a reasonable "hockey" trade.

We needed one more top 6, preferably top 3 forward. We got that.

To be a true playoff contender, we now need to fill that hole at d.

I guarantee you, that's what he will do this summer.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:58 PM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
Quote:
I don't think he got Pominville because the team was sliding but I think he honestly thought the defense was good.

IMO if you've got an okay chance to make the playoffs, make a trade and fill a hole. But don't throw away tons of assets to plug one hole and leave several other glaring holes untouched.
There you go thinkin' again.

Fact of the matter is nobody knows what CF thinks are what he tried to do.

BuddyMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:00 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:

Exactly. Which is why I am against this trade. Not against Pom. He fits a need. I also understand why he gave up what he gave up but right wing wasn't a huge hole that we needed to blow a ton of assets on. Coyle was doing fine at right wing. I mean God forbid, we don't make the playoffs, this trade will look even worse.

Old
04-05-2013, 02:02 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Quote:

Tons of assets? Really?

Blizzard6411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:04 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard6411 View Post
Tons of assets? Really?
1st (in a deep draft), 2nd (who knows how 2014 is shaping up), Johan Larsson, who many in the league consider to one of the top prospects in the NHL (some have compared him to Filppula) and a starting/top 15 net prospect in Hackett. So yes, it's a lot.

Old
04-05-2013, 02:04 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

1st + 2nd + Larsson + Hackett is tons of assets.

Old
04-05-2013, 02:07 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Quote:
1st + 2nd + Larsson + Hackett is tons of assets.
I think for your argument you have placed a far greater value on Larson and the 1st then what they are deserving and Hacket would have likely been lost for nothing in return in the off season.

CF did not give up tons of assets, he gave up some assets and leveraged another one who was going to be lost anyways.

Old
04-05-2013, 02:11 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
1st (in a deep draft), 2nd (who knows how 2014 is shaping up), Johan Larsson, who many in the league consider to one of the top prospects in the NHL (some have compared him to Filppula) and a starting/top 15 net prospect in Hackett. So yes, it's a lot.
Did he give up a lot or did he give up tons?

Old
04-05-2013, 02:13 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

There's no question that we overpaid for Pominville...but that's the nature of the beast with deadline deals. Not to mention the fact that there were more buyers than sellers this season, as evidenced by the log jams in the standings. More buyers = better return for the sellers.

The fact is that Fletcher has done a good job building up the pool of prospects and draft picks over the past few years, and he decided that it was time to cash in some chips from his large stack. And he managed to do that without touching any of our "blue chip" prospects in the process.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:17 PM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Quote:

There is no way that Chuck Fletcher is happy with the bottom 2/3 of his defense. He most likely has more faith in Gilbert,Stoner, and Spurgeon then either of us but I guarantee you that CF isn't thrilled.

If Pominville was simply a rental I would be a little more upset about the assests we gave up (im not thrilled by the amount or the quality but you have to give to get). But the fact is that hole is now closed. Re-signing Cullen this offseason will give us more time to fill another hole. The D obvioiusly will be a priority in the offseason.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:18 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
A lot = a ton to me. Jarick and I just have difference of an opinion but yes, he gave up a ton, a lot whatever you want to call it. You're just splitting hairs.

Quote:
I think for your argument you have placed a far greater value on Larsson
What is the value of a top prospect in the NHL? Larsson's value is a lot higher than some would seem. He's the type of gritty player you win playoff games with. He has leadership, some scoring touch and plays a fantastic two-way game. You break the bank to get a guy like that on your team. I mean hell, if he turns out to be a Brouwer type? Yeah. He's worth a 1st alone.

Quote:
and the 1st
The 1st is hard to peg. If this team went deep in the playoffs, doesn't hurt as much. If they get bounced in the 1st round due to a low seeding. That is when it starts to hurt. If they don't make the playoffs. It hurts even more. Here's the thing, if you don't know if your team can make the playoffs, trading a 1st isn't a smart move. If Minnesota had starting running away in the Northwest/West, then yes. But since they were starting to slide and you could see holes, it's tough to swallow losing a 1st with so much uncertainty.

Quote:
Hackett would have likely been lost for nothing in return in the off season.
We don't know that. Hackett could have bounced back and become a solid starter. Goaltenders are such fickle players that they can have one bad year, bounce back and look like the starter they should have been.

Quote:
CF did not give up tons of assets, he gave up some assets and leveraged another one who was going to be lost anyways.
He gave up a lot, a ton and cut into our depth pretty badly at two positions - one especially, that is becoming an issue for this team.

Why is it so bad to stay pat, especially when it's a seller's market and prices are going to be sky high, and evaluate?

Old
04-05-2013, 02:19 PM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Quote:
It was an overpayment. How much of an overpayment depends on how far we go in the playoffs, whether or not Pommer re-signs, and whether or not we now have enough assests to rebuild our bottom four defense.

Old
04-05-2013, 02:19 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Hackett probably could have brought back a 2nd or 3rd. He's played very well in the AHL and started in the NHL, still young. We've seen good goalies drafted in the 2nd or 3rd and this is way more of a sure thing.

Larsson is a blue chip prospect.

Old
04-05-2013, 02:20 PM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Quote:
Hackett probably could have brought back a 2nd or 3rd. He's played very well in the AHL and started in the NHL, still young. We've seen good goalies drafted in the 2nd or 3rd and this is way more of a sure thing.

Highly doubtful. What do other young goalies with very little NHL experience fetch?

Old
04-05-2013, 02:21 PM
mkoivu9*

vCash: 2710
The cap space and 4th offsets the 2nd round pick.

mkoivu9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:22 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
There's no question that we overpaid for Pominville...but that's the nature of the beast with deadline deals.
Sometimes you have more sellers, than buyers. But in a shorten season, it makes no sense to buy because the prices are going to be high with so many teams bunched up.

Quote:
And he managed to do that without touching any of our "blue chip" prospects in the process.
Hackett and Larsson are as close to blue chip as you can get. It's just that we had some solid depth at top that pushed them down. On any other team, Larsson and Hackett would easily fit in the top 5-10 of any prospect group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
But the fact is that hole is now closed.
What hole was that? Are we going to automatically assume Coyle isn't a legitimate top 6 winger?

Old
04-05-2013, 02:22 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:

I'm not sure I agree with that....but our definition of "blue chip" is probably different.

IMO, our blue chippers are Coyle, Brodin, Zucker and Granlund. Personally, I had Larsson ranked behind Dumba.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:23 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Highly doubtful. What do other young goalies with very little NHL experience fetch?
Ben Bishop 2nd round draft pick and then Cory Conacher comes to mind immediately.

Old
04-05-2013, 02:23 PM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoivu9 View Post
The cap space and 4th offsets the 2nd round pick.
Pommer is worth Larsson + a first. The overpayment is the perceived difference between Hackett and the 2nd round pick minus the 4th plus cap space.

Old
04-05-2013, 02:25 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
I'm not sure I agree with that....but our definition of "blue chip" is probably different.

IMO, our blue chippers are Coyle, Brodin, Zucker and Granlund. Personally, I had Larsson ranked behind Dumba.
I have Larsson ahead of Dumba only because Dumba is so wildly unpredictable. He could be a top 4 defenseman or he could be a bust. It's scary.