HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wild gets Jason Pominville, '14 4th for Larsson, Hackett 13' 1st + '14 2nd Part 2

Old
04-04-2013, 09:03 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
BTW I like this revisionist history of Hackett coming out. No longer a great prospect. He was still a damn good prospect. Goaltenders just take a while to develop.
Just curious, since you're from Texas, I was wondering how many Aeros games have you seen today and in the past years?

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:04 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Most Sabres' fans have been pretty cool. I've learned to dislike a lot of teams over the years, but Buffalo remains one of the few that I like. With the exception of picking up Ott.

BTW, Hull's foot was in the crease!

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:24 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Just curious, since you're from Texas, I was wondering how many Aeros games have you seen today and in the past years?
I've seen a few here and there. Not much since I'm in Austin and the Aeros only come once in a while. Radio doesn't help. But I hate, HATE evaluating goaltenders because they are so funky. I mean I think Holmqvist could have been a solid backup in the NHL. But meh.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:27 PM
lovemynephews

I love this trade, Pommers was not Captain material in Buffalo, the only thing he was good at was shootouts IMO. I'm happy he's gone but wish him well. We (Sabres) needed a change and now we are the youngest team in the league. I'm willing to wait as we rebuild through our own system with our draft choices, it will be an exciting draft that's for sure. My only disappointment is that we won't see Larsson play right now, he will start in Rochester along with Hackett. Never heard of either of these players but Wild fans seemed to not like the idea that they lost Larsson. Good luck with Pommers, hope he plays well for y'all.

lovemynephews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:35 PM
lovemynephews

That was a very nice thing to say about Sabres fans. I'm watching the Wild/LA game to see how Pommer's does. Lots of changes in Buffalo and I look forward to the rebuilding process. Hope Pommer's plays well for y'all. My brother is a Vikings fan so y'all have some Bills fans that are rooting for the Vikings too. Best of luck.

lovemynephews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:27 AM
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
Most Sabres' fans have been pretty cool. I've learned to dislike a lot of teams over the years, but Buffalo remains one of the few that I like. With the exception of picking up Ott.

BTW, Hull's foot was in the crease!
It's good you feel that way, us Sabres fans love ourselves some Pominville and the Wild suddenly gained a lot of fans in Buffalo. It's really, really weird seeing him in different colours but I'll certainly be supporting Minnesota throughout the playoffs. Pommer was obviously incredibly loyal to the Sabres, and I'd imagine as long as the Wild want to keep him after his contract he'll let them match anything.

We're excited about Larsson, Hacket, and what the team can do with it's draft picks, but hopefully we can agree to call the trade fair for both sides and hope each team does well rather than forever determining out who 'won' the deal.

Sean McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:33 AM
Piffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemynephews View Post
That was a very nice thing to say about Sabres fans. I'm watching the Wild/LA game to see how Pommer's does. Lots of changes in Buffalo and I look forward to the rebuilding process. Hope Pommer's plays well for y'all. My brother is a Vikings fan so y'all have some Bills fans that are rooting for the Vikings too. Best of luck.
As a Vikings fan I have to cheer for the Bills- Hopefully someday the two of us meet in a Super Bowl, just so one of us will be fortunate enough to break a streak.

Piffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:40 AM
mkoivu9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemynephews View Post
I love this trade, Pommers was not Captain material in Buffalo, the only thing he was good at was shootouts IMO. I'm happy he's gone but wish him well. We (Sabres) needed a change and now we are the youngest team in the league. I'm willing to wait as we rebuild through our own system with our draft choices, it will be an exciting draft that's for sure. My only disappointment is that we won't see Larsson play right now, he will start in Rochester along with Hackett. Never heard of either of these players but Wild fans seemed to not like the idea that they lost Larsson. Good luck with Pommers, hope he plays well for y'all.
You have a bad opinion sir.

mkoivu9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:16 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoivu9 View Post
You have a bad opinion sir.
Yeah, what? The ONLY thing he was good at?

He is a natural goalscorer. He's pretty good at scoring...

... His shot is fantastic. He's positionally sound. While he became quite overrated defensively on our boards, he's still competent in that area of the game. He killed penalties. And when he wasn't misplaced on the point, he was a great option from the half wall on the PP.

So basically, he's good at everything.

Funny enough, a bigger beef of mine regarding Pominville is...shoutouts. He does. Not. Deke. EVER. Always shoots. While he seems to score a good amount of times on them, I always wondered why goalies don't know what to expect, and make sure they stay square, knowing the shot is coming.

Enjoy him. You will. Consummate professional, good teammate, hustles every shift.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:23 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Deal With It

vCash: 342
After tonights game I feel kind of sorry for Pominville. I bet he's got a lot of questions on his mind.

I hole like hell we start to turn it around quickly, or there's no way in hell we'll be able to extend him. And I think we need to extend him before next year.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:28 AM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

Quote:
-- I have confirmed the Buffalo Sabres is picking up part of Pominville's $5.5 million salary and $5.3 million cap hit this season and next. The Wild right now is a little more than $100,000 from the cap ceiling, which is why the Wild's got to be careful with its callups. If Buffalo wasn't picking up part of the salary, the Wild would be above the cap. Together with the webmaster of capgeek.com tonight, we went over numbers. He estimates that Buffalo must be picking up around $225,000 of Pominville's salary this year, which would translate to around $900,000 next year. The good news is in a daily cap world, you accrue cap space daily. If the Wild ever gets in a pickle though, I think the only way out of it would be to LTIR Josh Harding.
From russo's blog.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:32 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Well, I guess that's worth the 1st?

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:40 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Deal With It

Well...that makes the first sting slightly less.

Slightly.

Old
04-05-2013, 02:35 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
After tonights game I feel kind of sorry for Pominville. I bet he's got a lot of questions on his mind.

I hole like hell we start to turn it around quickly, or there's no way in hell we'll be able to extend him. And I think we need to extend him before next year.
Most hockey players are not like bipolar fans... so this game had likely very little to do with his thoughts on this team going forward. I'm sure the next couple days off with some practice and getting to know the guys will have a much larger influence than this one loss.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:01 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Deal With It

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Most hockey players are not like bipolar fans... so this game had likely very little to do with his thoughts on this team going forward. I'm sure the next couple days off with some practice and getting to know the guys will have a much larger influence than this one loss.
Oh I know that, but what a terrible first impression.

Old
04-05-2013, 03:05 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

5 games in 7 nights playing mostly rested teams waiting for them... and they hadn't been able to practice in two weeks. I think an impression like this will easily be excused.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:11 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
5 games in 7 nights playing mostly rested teams waiting for them... and they hadn't been able to practice in two weeks. I think an impression like this will easily be excused.
This. Exactly this.

Let's not give up hope yet.

DeuceMN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:14 AM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

We have to remember Pommer was playing for Buffalo, they weren't exactly burning down the barn with stellar play either. He knows he's on a team with some great players. All teams have rough patches thru a season. Thank god most of our most negative fans frequent these boards. It's good to herd up most the negative Nellies in one location, so we can keep them away from the rest of the folks who are trying to keep positive.

Blakkmantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:23 AM
CG5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
dude, he came from Buffalo. relax

CG5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:42 AM
TheeNorthStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG5 View Post
dude, he came from Buffalo. relax
Right? Lol

TheeNorthStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:51 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I just think Fletcher really misjudged the team's needs here. He went all in on a forward when the defense is nonexistant after the top pairing.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:59 AM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I just think Fletcher really misjudged the team's needs here. He went all in on a forward when the defense is nonexistant after the top pairing.
I think it more of the fact that this team still has a few holes and that Jason was available where as the type of defense we need are not.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:01 AM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Quote:
Honestly the two players that need the rest the most are Brodin and Suter. Both been a little less effective the last couple of games.

Well, hopefully Backy will go on his usual little tear after getting pulleed. But man, this team better figure out a way because it doesn't get any easier.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:02 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Backstrom hasn't been great but the defense in front of him has been terrible. That needs to be fixed before anything else. Even the best goalies in the world only stop 70-80% of breakaways. Wild gave up, what, four last night?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:08 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I think it more of the fact that this team still has a few holes and that Jason was available where as the type of defense we need are not.
I was just going to say the same thing...Looking at the defensemen that were moved at the deadline, I'm not sure there is one that would've been worth chasing:

Leopold: rental player, not physical
Bouwmeester: Cap hit too large
Regher: rental player
Hannan: rental player

There were a few others, but....just meh.

Chuck saw an opportunity to solidify the top line and he took it. Certainly an aggressive move, no question.

My hope is that the Wild will rebound due to being able to grab some rest and get in a practice or two...then hope they make a strong showing in the playoffs, and maybe advance at least one round...then look to strengthen the blueline through a draftday deal because I don't see a whole lot available in the UFA market, unless you are looking at someone like a Ron Hainsey or Jordy Benn.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote