HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins @ Rangers 4/3/13 - Byron Boy's JAM Session!

View Poll Results: Three Stars of the Game?
Ryane Clowe 252 96.92%
Derick Brassard 230 88.46%
John Moore 57 21.92%
Henrik Lundqvist 33 12.69%
Martin Biron 4 1.54%
Carl Hagelin 2 0.77%
Byron Boy 131 50.38%
Rick Nash 2 0.77%
Anton Stralman 3 1.15%
Ryan McDonagh 11 4.23%
Dan Girardi 4 1.54%
Taylor Pyatt 2 0.77%
Ryan Callahan 2 0.77%
Brad Richards 21 8.08%
Derek Stepan 10 3.85%
Steve Eminger 1 0.38%
Michael Del Zotto 2 0.77%
Darroll Powe 4 1.54%
Arron Asham 3 1.15%
Mats Zuccarello 7 2.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-03-2013, 10:09 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdj10 View Post
Trade Clowe while his value is still high!
Boyle's value is now clearly a 1st and a top prospect.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
theJUMPER

Missed the game. Was in Penn Station and saw the 5-1 scroll on a tv tuned into ESPN and nearly lost my ****.

No Rangers in 60 tonight?!?!

theJUMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Were the Penguins terrible tonight? Yes.

Did the Rangers capitalize on their chances? Yes.

The latter is the main difference from this new look team and the team we had just yesterday. Was Brassard's amazing passing "because of the other team"? Was Richards' amazing passing "because of the other team"? These are skill plays we haven't seen from our prior team.

Yeah, the sample size is small, and I'm not ready to say the Gaborik trade is 100% for the better (although the Clowe trade is easily a 100% for me, I was behind that move from the beginning)., but there are positive signs here. I don't see the point of just saying "oh, the Penguins were terrible" when there were very positive signs from our side that probably would have been there even if the Pens were playing better. The mindset of the team was very clear and it was a good mindset. They seemed a lot more confident. This could be a big "turning point" game, IMO. Let's hope that's what happens.

When you consider 1), the Rangers were likely to move Gaborik this off-season, and 2), they didn't have to take back a bad contract in the deal, then getting Brassard, Moore and Dorsett is likely the expected value you were going to get back. For those reasons alone, I was fine with this deal.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Yeah. A dominating win over the Pens is some win.

My God. What is with you tonight?
Dude, I just read five dozen posts using this game as some sort of justification for these trades. Talking about what a warrior Clowe is, about how awesome Brassard is, people telling others to eat crow about Brian Boyle.

Are you kidding me? They played a team of Walking Dead extras! I'm not saying Clowe ISN'T a warrior, but what the hell did he have to do that was warrior like tonight? The Penguins didn't do anything for 95% of the game. The Rangers might as well have been skating alone out there. 9 times out of 10, Brassard is eating painted ice chips when he tries to make that blind pass to Clowe. I have to eat crow about Brian Boyle? I've watched virtually every game this season, and I'm not going to eat crow about Brian Boyle, because there hasn't been a single game this season prior to tonight where he didn't look like an absolutely worthless, awful player.

Dominating win? Dominating is when you play so well that it doesn't matter how hard the other team tries, they just can't do do anything. The other team didn't even try tonight. This game is what they call a freebie. It was a fun night, because it is always fun to **** on the Ice Chickens, but it doesn't mean a damn thing, because this wasn't a real game.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:10 PM
Emptyvoid

I'm very happy with this win, everyone played well. Brassard showed off his skill, the potential is there. Consistency will be an issue. Clowe showed what he could bring. More looked good and hopefully will finally solidify our D corps.

But it can't be understated how terribad the penguins were tonight. A better measuring stick for this club will be Fridays game.

I don't understand why Sting got so much ****, yea you might think he's being a debbie downer but he isn't wrong. The penguins coughed up the puck in prime spots and looked horrible overall. You don't want to get too high after a game like this, you don't want the team to be too happy after a game like this.

The next few games will be key, I hope the winning continues. But there's nothing wrong with putting this win back into perspective.

By the way, Stepan is so good. Transforming into a 1st line center right before our eyes.

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Ever occur to you guys that Pittsburgh might have been "off" because the rangers were all over them all night?
Yup, I had that thought myself. That said, they were definitely playing lazier than usual. The Rangers made them pay, though, and that's something our prior roster wasn't doing.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

I saw screw the pessimism and let's be happy....at least til Friday.

I mean yeah history tells us that this is just a tease but maybe it's the start of a turnaround. We have another chance to right the ship with a new look and a new perspective. Let's give it a chance.

Besides, I don't care if it's our only win all season, dammit when we beat the Penguins by 5, it's an occasion!

DEUTSCHLANDWELTMEISTER2014
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Dominating win? Dominating is when you play so well that it doesn't matter how hard the other team tries, they just can't do do anything. The other team didn't even try tonight. This game is what they call a freebie. It was a fun night, because it is always fun to **** on the Ice Chickens, but it doesn't mean a damn thing, because this wasn't a real game.

Maybe they looked like they didn't try because we dominated them so badly that they couldn't do anything?

Old
04-03-2013, 10:11 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I saw screw the pessimism and let's be happy....at least til Friday.

I mean yeah history tells us that this is just a tease but maybe it's the start of a turnaround. We have another chance to right the ship with a new look and a new perspective. Let's give it a chance.

Besides, I don't care if it's our only win all season, dammit when we beat the Penguins by 5, it's an occasion!
Let's look at one really big positive here. Richards had great games two games in a row. Could mean his slump is over. Let's hope.

Richards waking up would be the difference maker this team needs.

I don't think Richards has had two consecutive great games this year until now.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:12 PM
Lundsanity30

Tonights team reminded me of last years team... full 60 minutes of effort, except we actually scored goals.

Lundsanity30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:13 PM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Let's look at one really big positive here. Richards had great games two games in a row. Could mean his slump is over. Let's hope.

This, a million times over.

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:13 PM
Lundsanity30

Rangers got the D man they needed (Moore) kid looks really good.
Rangers got the depth they needed (Clowe, Brassard, Dorsett?)
Rangers got the 3C they needed (Brassard)

so lets see what they can do now..

Old
04-03-2013, 10:14 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Where is Silverfish. I believe he called it last night with his

"I just met you
and this is crazy
Clowe scores his 1st goal
Its Marc Andre Fleury"

or something to that effect.

JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
When you consider 1), the Rangers were likely to move Gaborik this off-season, and 2), they didn't have to take back a bad contract in the deal, then getting Brassard, Moore and Dorsett is likely the expected value you were going to get back. For those reasons alone, I was fine with this deal.
I love the idea of the return, at the moment. Couple of question marks that could either be an 'average' player or a very good player. Moore and Brassard, obviously. Dorsett already fills his role perfectly, cannot wait until he is in the lineup. He would have wreaked havoc on this Pens' D with his forechecking.

I'm expecting this trade to hold up, but anything can happen. Right now, though, the elements I expected these trades to add were there: net drive, better forecheck, smoother, quicker transition, and more speed through the neutral zone. I saw all of these things tonight. Their transition was a little hit or miss, but when it was on, it was ON.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Richter Scale

Quote:
Oh, please. Brassard and Boyle will do a good job of that all on their own.

The opposing team played last night, is without their best player, their second best player is fresh off of injury and looks terrible, and they didn't show up to play tonight at all. I mean, just think about some of those goals. That first Clowe goal . . . my goodness, he should send Orpik a gift basket for that one.

Just sayin', anything tonight should be taken with a grain of salt. Besides, Nash-Stepan-Callahan was consistently the best line tonight, even if the scoresheet says otherwise. They just happened to not have guys cough the puck up in the middle of the slot for them.
I agree that people need to put the game in perspective. I have no problem with people enjoying the win -- its been a long time coming and we certainly deserved it. But my main issue with the huge swing from "OMG WORST TRADE EVER" to "OMG SATHER IS A MAGICIAN" is that expectations will be raised way too high for these players and that the first hint of a slump/mistake and these guys/the trades will be seen as **** all over again.

That said, I don't get why you don't like Brassard or the Gaborik trade. I normally respect your reasoned posts - even if I disagree with the overall conclusion, I at least understand how you got there or what your perspective is. You're one of the few that actually gives substantive rationale for things and doesn't seem to get hyperbolic. But seriously, what specifically don't you like about the Gabby trade? Got a really solid 3C, a solid RW'r, the cap space to keep Clowe, and a solid 5/6d with top 4 upside. I don't understand what else you could have expected to get out of a Gaborik trade other than a 1st rounder (which was basically Moore).

And specifically what about Brassard don't you like as a 3C? Is it the cap hit? Is it that you don't see him as a good fit in the Torts system? I don't get it. He had big expectations on him when he entered the league, and so far he's failed to live up to them fully, so I can see that -- but even if he just stays a 40+ pt 3C for the Rangers, that's huge. I don't know that I could name many (any?) 3Cs in this league who consistently put up 40-45 pts. They kept personnel that him not being amazing defensively doesn't kill their PK... Just not understanding the Brassard hate unless its just disappointment based on what people thought he'd be.

Richter Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Lundsanity30

Yup, I agree, Richards waking up would be gold.. When he's going he makes anyone he's playing with better

Old
04-03-2013, 10:18 PM
trilobyte

It's actually really simple.

Play direct, simple hockey. Beat up the other team. Take advantage of teams that are not at their best. Prey upon them, make them look stupid.

Try to do it again next game.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:19 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Excuses never stopped the Pens from mashing this team before.

Only a true Rangers fan would detract from a six-goal effort and a line which had eight points to try and hide the fact that for at least 3 hours, he was as wrong as two cats in a Chinese restaurant.

"Oh, you mean THOSE goals? They don't count because they hurt my arguments from the trade threads!"

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:19 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

BTW, Pierre has tasted Malkin's mom's soup??? He is best friends with Shero and now this revelation? Does the guy have a stall in the Pittsburgh locker room?

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:21 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:

I don't think Richards has had two consecutive great games this year until now.
Very true. I had written him off, but if -big IF- Richards gets going, we're right in the hunt and he's stringing them together like you said for the first time this year.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:22 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Excuses never stopped the Pens from mashing this team before.

Only a true Rangers fan would detract from a six-goal effort and a line which had eight points to try and hide the fact that for at least 3 hours, he was as wrong as two cats in a Chinese restaurant.

"Oh, you mean THOSE goals? They don't count because they hurt my arguments from the trade threads!"
So so so so much win.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:23 PM
IAMREALITY

I hate when I can't see the post game interviews. Hate when games aren't on MSG. How long does it usually take for the post-game/tort presser videos to be put up? I wanna hear the reactions!

IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:23 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Just saw the Moore goal again. Brassard got away with a GIANT hook to set that goal up. Haha.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:27 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Now don't knock it. But seeing these players. The new guys in. They seemed like they "fit" this team. Especially Clowe. He was a gorilla. Maybe I'm wrong but I think things might be looking up. The depth added and the pieces seem to fit more.

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:27 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
I have to eat crow about Brian Boyle? I've watched virtually every game this season, and I'm not going to eat crow about Brian Boyle, because there hasn't been a single game this season prior to tonight where he didn't look like an absolutely worthless, awful player.
Weren't you gloating about Jeff Halpern scoring a goal like two days ago?