HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Sharks Prospect Info/Discussion Numero Siete

Closed Thread

Old
07-15-2013, 10:46 PM
druncan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
ahh yea, that was druncan. first and last time ive seen him in this thread

defenseman of any ilk are never make or break at 22 regardless
If he doesn't show much improvement next season, I would find it very hard to believe he could ever develop into anything other than what he is. This is, of course, my opinion. Other folks are more than welcome to have their own. Sure, there are examples of other large defensemen that figured it out later. But I'd be willing to bet that there were more, higher regarded defensemen that never reached their potential.

"Make it or break it" doesn't necessarily mean he's a bust if he doesn't vastly improve, either. However, his clock is ticking louder, and if he can't show he's made a significant leap forward next season, maybe that ceiling gets lower. Whatever happens for him, the Sharks would have a much better idea of what his potential is. It might not be make it or break it for Doherty's career, but it very well could be for his time with the Sharks.

In any case, 2nd round picks don't bust. They disappoint.

Old
07-15-2013, 10:59 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
i wish i could watch these guys more often.
Why? Most of them suck.

Old
07-15-2013, 11:00 PM

vCash: 50
Mike Rathje references - very nice. One of the most vilified players on the Sharks. A very good defensive defenseman but wouldnt hit worth a lick.

Old
07-15-2013, 11:07 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Why? Most of them suck.
But then I'd be able to talk about how much they suck with certainty.

Old
07-16-2013, 12:09 AM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
But then I'd be able to talk about how much they suck with certainty.
exactly...

Old
07-16-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
hockey db says he is 6.08, my mistake then lol. then he must of been really lanky at his draft. not to many teens are 230 lbs while working out in the ohl lol.
He is every inch of that 6' 8" too...no exaggeration there.

Old
07-16-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Doherty isn't a bust same as Petrecki isn't either. I'm willing to give them a little more time.
I just don't get what's wrong with Petrecki. He has huge runs of games where it looks like he should be playing 3-4 in the NHL, and then all of the sudden looks like he's never played pro hockey before. It's mind boggling.

Old
07-16-2013, 03:50 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
I just don't get what's wrong with Petrecki. He has huge runs of games where it looks like he should be playing 3-4 in the NHL, and then all of the sudden looks like he's never played pro hockey before. It's mind boggling.
Hes all tools and very little toolbox. I think he will come around this year. He provides an element that the big club doesn't have outside of Brad Stuart.

Old
07-16-2013, 04:46 PM
Speed

Petrecki doesn't have any feel for the game. I don't hold out much hope for him. Doherty on the other hand - well I think he has more potential than Petrecki at this point. He wasn't bad last season - wasn't great either, but better than the year before. He might be the type that needs to feel like he can lead a club, and that's tough to do in the 1st and 2nd years. Hopefully he opens up his game this year. I think he has it in him.

Old
07-16-2013, 09:02 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
Petrecki doesn't have any feel for the game. I don't hold out much hope for him. Doherty on the other hand - well I think he has more potential than Petrecki at this point. He wasn't bad last season - wasn't great either, but better than the year before. He might be the type that needs to feel like he can lead a club, and that's tough to do in the 1st and 2nd years. Hopefully he opens up his game this year. I think he has it in him.
Not that it is a direct comparison, but even Chara toiled for a few years in the AHL, and had some very mediocre NHL seasons before bursting out.

Old
07-16-2013, 09:22 PM
KirbyDots

Question for 210, and or Speed. How would you rank the Worcester players as far as NHL readiness? How does the depth chart look for the coming season?

Old
07-16-2013, 09:25 PM
Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
Not that it is a direct comparison, but even Chara toiled for a few years in the AHL, and had some very mediocre NHL seasons before bursting out.
I almost used Chara as an example, but I just don't seeing Doherty being that physical D-man, nor do I see him developing a shot like Chara. Getting quicker, and either moving bodies or directing bodies out of the way more efficiently is what I'll be looking for.

Old
07-17-2013, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
Question for 210, and or Speed. How would you rank the Worcester players as far as NHL readiness? How does the depth chart look for the coming season?
We need to wait a little longer to see who SJ decides to bring in to really answer that.

Old
07-17-2013, 09:21 AM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
I'll take a crack at a short list based on who is currently under NHL contract and as of right now - this may change after the rookie tourney & I attend training camp:

Defense:
Tennyson
Acolatse
Doherty
Davison (he's actually more likely then the two above him but he's just not an NHLer anymore in my opinion)

Petrecki would be between Acolatse & Doherty but he isn't signed yet and I would assume the Sharks have Acolatse at the bottom of this list.

Forwards:
Hertl (though I'm assuming he starts in SJ)
Hamilton
McCarthy
Pelech
Reid (if he's healthy)
Nieto (I expect him to move up this list rather quickly)

I know no one wants to see McCarthy or Pelech on the NHL team but Kirby asked about NHL readiness, not who might be a good NHLer.

A couple of forwards who just continue to impress me every single time I see them are Tarasov & Schwartz (and to some extent Hayes) and I wouldn't be surprised to see them moving up the depth chart quickly as well.

Old
07-17-2013, 11:07 AM
OrrNumber4

Doesn't McCarthy have a one-way contract for the coming season? The Sharks will have to deal with that, either way.

Old
07-17-2013, 11:47 AM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
Doesn't McCarthy have a one-way contract for the coming season? The Sharks will have to deal with that, either way.
He is but I don't think it matters much.

If they decide to carry a 13th (healthy) forward my guess is it would be McCarthy but if they send him to Worcester he won't count against the cap and they've paid guys NHL salary to play in Worcester a couple of times before.

Old
07-17-2013, 11:49 AM
matt trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
He is but I don't think it matters much.

If they decide to carry a 13th (healthy) forward my guess is it would be McCarthy but if they send him to Worcester he won't count against the cap and they've paid guys NHL salary to play in Worcester a couple of times before.
Still I think 500k in Woostah salary could be better spent on a pair of Krog, Vesce types.

Old
07-17-2013, 11:51 AM
do0glas

thats interesting. mccarthy is perfectly fine on the 4th line, in fact i wouldve rather had him than kearns in the playoffs.

hes actually pretty fast on the forecheck.

Old
07-17-2013, 11:51 AM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
Still I think 500k in Woostah salary could be better spent on a pair of Krog, Vesce types.
Maybe, they've got a pretty full roster right now with or w/o McCarthy. I don't see them signing a couple of expensive vets.

Guess I should add that they may not be able to sign a couple of vets even if they wanted to - I can't remember the # of games it takes to get "vet" status but I think there are a couple of guys who are already at or close to 'vet' status...210 and/or speed can hopefully be more specific here.

Last edited by stalockrox: 07-17-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old
07-17-2013, 12:08 PM
Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
Maybe, they've got a pretty full roster right now with or w/o McCarthy. I don't see them signing a couple of expensive vets.

Guess I should add that they may not be able to sign a couple of vets even if they wanted to - I can't remember the # of games it takes to get "vet" status but I think there are a couple of guys who are already at or close to 'vet' status...210 and/or speed can hopefully be more specific here.
Yeah I wish the McCarthy money was spent better on AHL vets that have a scoring touch too. I believe they did the same thing with MacIntyre and Mike Moore's contracts.

210 knows for sure, but technically I think we can sign as many veterans as we want. But come game time, we can only dress so many. I think it was 6 max, plus we get one exempt but they may have changed.

Old
07-17-2013, 12:15 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Yeah I wish the McCarthy money was spent better on AHL vets that have a scoring touch too. I believe they did the same thing with MacIntyre and Mike Moore's contracts.

210 knows for sure, but technically I think we can sign as many veterans as we want. But come game time, we can only dress so many. I think it was 6 max, plus we get one exempt but they may have changed.
Ya, that was more or less my point...zero reason to have a bunch on the roster when only so many can actually play at the same time. Bonneau & Davison are both 'vets' I believe, I think Pelech is considered one too but I'm not positive.

I thought the dev rule was 2 vets per roster (game day, skaters only) and one 'exemption'...could be wrong.

At last count I think that Worcester has something like 17 (counted in my head) forwards on NHL & AHL contracts - I can't see them adding a whole lot more to the roster.

Last edited by stalockrox: 07-17-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old
07-17-2013, 01:06 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:

Yes, but MacIntyre had injury issues, and Moore was playing when the Sharks had tremendous depth on defense. Wouldn't you say, that not only would McCarthy be a decent 4th liner, but that he's competitive for that spot in the SJ organization?

Old
07-17-2013, 01:50 PM

On the AHL's site their FAQ gives the veteran rule and its exception (transitional player). I tried to copy and paste it from my phone and failed miserably.

Old
07-17-2013, 02:08 PM
StalockSuperfan

Hello Worcester folks. I'm moving to Boston next month for grad school and I'd like to catch some WorSharks games. Can any of you give me some info on the best way to get cheap tixs and/or public transportation from Boston to Worcester? Maybe via PM. Thanks.

Old
07-17-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StalockSuperfan View Post
Hello Worcester folks. I'm moving to Boston next month for grad school and I'd like to catch some WorSharks games. Can any of you give me some info on the best way to get cheap tixs and/or public transportation from Boston to Worcester? Maybe via PM. Thanks.
Public transportation between Boston and Worcester is limited to commuter rail...a Google search will give you better info than I can. As for cheap tickets, as we get closer to the season starting there will be lots more info available on those.

Closed Thread