HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks Prospect Info/Discussion Numero Siete

Closed Thread

Old
08-06-2013, 06:15 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500

Old
08-06-2013, 06:42 PM
Craig Fischer
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
I was told Butcher was very good yesterday as well. I think Grzelcyk is a lock to make the team and Carrick, Butcher and McCoshen all have good offensive games but what Brodzinski brings is pretty unique which is why I'm guessing he wasn't cut.

I wasn't planning to watch anymore of the games as I've seen a lot of O'Regan but since Brodzinski's sticking around I'll probably watch one or two of the games he's playing.

I don't agree with everything on Harper's list either but I like that he has Tarasov on there. There's a few players who I don't think belong on there (Stalock isn't really a 'prospect' to me anymore) and I disagree with some of his assessments but it's definitely one of the more researched lists I've seen and I'm guessing the Sharks org had some input on the rankings.
I think Skjei and Sieloff are the locks.

I think the next group of guys are pretty close and it could go either way.

What I love about this whole process is, I don't think anyone's even sweating as to if O'Regan makes it or not.

Old
08-06-2013, 06:54 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...cmpid=rss-News

Brodzinski and O'Reagan remain in US camp.

Old
08-06-2013, 07:14 PM
sr228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Fischer View Post
I think Skjei and Sieloff are the locks.

I think the next group of guys are pretty close and it could go either way.

What I love about this whole process is, I don't think anyone's even sweating as to if O'Regan makes it or not.
I think Skjei (who was paired w/ Brodzinski today and I bet Lucia is hoping to see those two mesh) and Seiloff are locks as well but I was referring to the players in camp that Brodzinski is very likely competing with for a roster spot.

I think O'Regan might be their most skilled center (don't read that as best player) and as long as he doesn't take some huge steps backwards between the start of his season and December I'd stop just short of saying he's a lock to make the team. He was back between Kerdiles and Barber today and hopefully that line will build on the chemistry they showed in their game against Finland.

Old
08-06-2013, 07:37 PM
rgb63

vCash: 615
Watching the Flyers' draft video, it sounds like they had Mueller in the 10-12th overall range.

http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocen...id=DL|PHI|home

Old
08-06-2013, 08:33 PM
Sharksfan83

vCash: 1175
If you watch the video, they have Mueller at 7 in the early parts of the video..

Old
08-06-2013, 08:46 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharksfan83 View Post
If you watch the video, they have Mueller at 7 in the early parts of the video..
That's what I thought I heard/saw too.

If you understood everything I said, you’d be me - Miles Davis

Old
08-06-2013, 08:47 PM
Negatively Positive
Stop Lying!

What the hell do the Flyers know about defense?

Old
08-06-2013, 09:17 PM
do0glas

didnt the sabres have him higher as well?

Old
08-06-2013, 09:33 PM
Negatively Positive
Stop Lying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
didnt the sabres have him higher as well?
What the hell do the Sabres know about defense?

Old
08-06-2013, 09:43 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Fin Soup View Post
What the hell do the Sabres know about defense?
are you saying because the team tends to not be great at defensive team strategies that they would be unable to determine if a player has good defensive skills ?

Old
08-07-2013, 07:23 PM
Juxtaposer
Window: Closed

vCash: 50
From Chris Peters, who is a very smart USA hockey guy:

Quote:
Michael Brodzinski — D — I think it’s the same story with Brodzinski, too. He’s got so much skill and really handles the puck well. I’d like to see him make a few better decisions with the puck, but once he gets to that point, he could be a high-end offensive defenseman. I don’t know that he can do it in time to make this team, but he showed some really good glimpses of it today.
http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2013...hlinka-update/

I really like this pick. This is the kind of player we (and everyone else to be honest) should draft more of. Not Gage Ausmus.

Old
08-07-2013, 09:47 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
From Chris Peters, who is a very smart USA hockey guy:

http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2013...hlinka-update/

I really like this pick. This is the kind of player we (and everyone else to be honest) should draft more of. Not Gage Ausmus.
Frankly, Brodzinski reminds me of Michael Vernace.

What is wrong with Gage Ausmus? I'm going to guess it is his size/stats/analytics?

Old
08-08-2013, 09:21 AM
sr228

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
Frankly, Brodzinski reminds me of Michael Vernace.

What is wrong with Gage Ausmus? I'm going to guess it is his size/stats/analytics?
Fancy stats (analytics) aren't tracked in the USHL.

But Jux doesn't like the org drafting big, shutdown d-men who have skating issues and don't contribute anywhere else. I agree with her a bit, if a player is going to be shutdown d-man they need to be able to skate (Ausmus is, at best, an average skater), have above average hockey sense and at least have a good first pass. The big, immobile shutdown d-men are having a hard time keeping up in todays NHL.

That said, seeing as teams will continue to draft defensive d-men and that they will continue to have value in the NHL (the ones who can skate) I have no problem that the Sharks used their final pick of the 5th round on Ausmus 'cus if they're going to draft them I'd prefer they draft them in the later rounds.

Last edited by sr228: 08-08-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old
08-08-2013, 11:58 AM
Juxtaposer

Better Ausmus in the 5th round than Morin 11th overall, but better two Michael Brodzinskis than one, you feel me?

Old
08-08-2013, 12:03 PM
matt trick

I am fine with them taking 30 Michael Vernances in the late rounds if we get one Boyle. Those types of players are often high-risk.

Edit: It's probably more accurate to say that those types of players have a high-chance of being no reward, but if you hit, it came be a huge home run.

Old
08-08-2013, 12:04 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Better Ausmus in the 5th round than Morin 11th overall, but better two Michael Brodzinskis than one, you feel me?
There will always be a need for teams to have a big hitting d man. to me, taking a guy like that allows us to potentially raise his value later on and receive a higher draft pick than where he was taken. simple economics to me. buy low sell high.

as for brodzinski, why was there so much consensus on this kid not making the cut at WJEC? seems like he is doing well from reports.

Old
08-08-2013, 12:09 PM
Juxtaposer

Quote:
There will always be a need for teams to have a big hitting d man. to me, taking a guy like that allows us to potentially raise his value later on and receive a higher draft pick than where he was taken. simple economics to me. buy low sell high.

as for brodzinski, why was there so much consensus on this kid not making the cut at WJEC? seems like he is doing well from reports.
The league will always think there is a need for big mean shutdown D, but the Sharks' two worst D-men are Hannan and Stuart.

Brodzinski is 1) a young 95 (iirc he's a June birthdate), 2) a late round pick, and 3) a risky type of player. I'm glad he's getting the experience and that he's doing well and I'll be stoked if he makes it, but I highly doubt he's in Malmo.

Old
08-08-2013, 12:12 PM
sr228

Quote:

Or that, you know, Ausmus turns into a Marc Methot type player - however, Ausmus isn't really all that big.

Brodzinski's decision making is very suspect and the players he's competing with for a roster spot bring good offense and are better then he is defensively. He's doing well considering expectations but he has a better shot at making the team next year after he develops a bit.

Old
08-08-2013, 12:36 PM
do0glas

i think, given what has come out of the 5th round the last ten years, it seems like a waste in general. a PMD vs. a defensive d man...it doesnt matter in that round. we have a logjam at PMD/offensive d men now, why not take a hitting stay at home guy late?

braun
demers
tennyson
mueller
abeltauser
acolatse
brodzinski
----
petrecki
pelech
doherty?
ausmus

Old
08-08-2013, 12:41 PM
sr228

Quote:
i think, given what has come out of the 5th round the last ten years, it seems like a waste in general. a PMD vs. a defensive d man...it doesnt matter in that round. we have a logjam at PMD/offensive d men now, why not take a hitting stay at home guy late?

braun
demers
tennyson
mueller
abeltauser
acolatse
brodzinski
----
petrecki
pelech
doherty?
ausmus
Like I said, I have no problem with the Sharks picking him and yes, getting any kind of NHLer out of the 5th round is unlikely.

Old
08-08-2013, 01:01 PM
Juxtaposer

Do0g, add Dylan Demelo and Joakim Ryan to the first group and Clifford Watson and William Wrenn to the second. I think there was another kid we took in the third round a couple years ago too who belongs in the second group.

Edit; it's Justin Sefton. What a god-awful pick.

Old
08-08-2013, 01:05 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Do0g, add Dylan Demelo to the first group and Clifford Watson and William Wrenn to the second. I think there was another kid we took in the third round a couple years ago too who belongs in the second group.
ahh youre right. was just going off the top of my head.

where does isaac mcleod/joakim ryan fit in?

Old
08-08-2013, 01:06 PM
sr228

Quote:
Do0g, add Dylan Demelo to the first group and Clifford Watson and William Wrenn to the second. I think there was another kid we took in the third round a couple years ago too who belongs in the second group.

Edit; it's Justin Sefton. What a god-awful pick.
Wrenn won't be a part if the org in about 8 days...Isaac MacLeod is another to add to the 2nd group and Ryan goes in the first.

Old
08-08-2013, 01:13 PM
do0glas

mueller
abeltauser
acolatse
ryan?
brodzinski
----
macleod
watson
bigos
ausmus

purely those players that have not played at the AHL or above.

Closed Thread