HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Believe in the bag! Oilers win 8-2

Old
04-04-2013, 09:37 AM
The Big Jankowski

vCash: 500
Good lord are we terrible. I have a new found respect for what you all went through for a few years.

The Big Jankowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:40 AM
Wretched Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
One other thing happened tonight. Harvey the Hound was banging his little drum and Oilers fans turned his rhythm into a Lets Go Oilers chant.

Harvey put the drum down and didn't try that again for the rest of the night.
AAAhhhhh that feels so good, whenever I'm down I'll try to think of this

Wretched Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:49 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombers15 View Post
Well, I don't know about that.

5 points behind both Vancouver and Minny with 12 games to go. Making up 5 points in 12 games is nearly impossible, not to mention doing it to two different teams.
yeah but 4 of those 12 we play them, 2vs van and 12 vs minn if we go 4-0 against them we have a real shot, vancouver is struggling and minnesota is good but not beastmode good, they are catchable imo

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:53 AM
Musicman798

Re: Yakupov celebration. At one point on the broadcast, right after the goal, they cut to a quick shot of Yak on the bench and he looked to be jumping around excitedly a bit.

Musicman798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:03 AM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

Man, I have just been buzzing with excitement ever since last night. That was such a fun game to watch.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:06 AM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiva View Post
Yaks skating is because he loses control when he has the puck with his skating, give him some more time, he will get it. Look at how he is now in his own zone compared to the first games of the season.

I was surprised a bit that hemmer didn't get traded, but I sure can see it this summer. By this time next year, Yak (if he continues to improve at the pace he is doing) will be better than Hemmer. The fact he is back to scoring goals (and setting them up) playing with Horcoff and jones is quite impressive.

Him and gags seem to have a lot of chemistry. MPS is playing well... BUT... I see him as a 3rd liner next year. I think that top 6 forward with size and hands we all have been wanting would be a winger for Gags and Yak. Someone like a cheechoo type player, but a bit bigger, who can cash in all those passes he will get, or stand in front of the net and get the dirty goals. Doesn't need to be a elite skilled player, just someone that buries his chances
You just described MPS, and he has great chemistry with Gagner as does Yak.

Keep Hemsky, let him drive the play on the checking line with Horcoff, need scoring depth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Yup the falling shirt probably was the Stajan guy, me and my Flames fan buddy were laughing at him because he must've been the only guy in the Calgary area with a Stajan shirt/jersey. It's the most random shirt/jersey to get.

He was screaming "Go Flames Go!" at the top of his voice trying to get the crowd into the game, but I guess he just had enough by the 7th or 8th goal, lol.

I turned around to my Flames buddy and said "this is like game 3 of the post-Iginla rebuild, wait until you guys get a year or two of this".
or 5. we had 5 legit prospects when the bottom fell out in 2010, they have 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaOil1993 View Post
Our special teams have been good all year IMO, It was the the 5on5 scoring that really hurt us in the beginning of the year.
The PP got off to a hot start, but stunk for a big a chunk in the middle of the season, nice to see its back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
I actually want Yak to do the robot after his next goal, then when the media asks him about it, he can tell them all the media want him to act like a robot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
I was there tonight.

Can we PLEASE extend Petrell?

Our pro scouting team did a great job on him, and he's literally a PERFECT 4th liner.

On an 8-2 win, I know this is a random post, but we need to keep him.

(I've loved this guy ever since we've signed him.)
He's literally the worst part of one of the worst 4th lines in hockey. There was like a 2-3 minute timer last night where suddenly all the play was in our zone...oh look the 4th line is out again.

they actually gave up half our shots against last night, if not for them we may have held them to under 10.

our 4th line needs wholesale changes this offseason. and i really don't have a good feeling about smithson being a part of the solution either.

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:13 AM
ales83fan

Any desire o start a GDT anyone?

ales83fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:16 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Jankowski View Post
Good lord are we terrible. I have a new found respect for what you all went through for a few years.
Well, atleast you guys have the big Janko to look forward to... We wasted our high picks on 3rd liners.

On a serious note... I think CGY should go for a retool instead of a rebuild.. Rebuild is just way too long and way too painful.. especially for a canadian market...

Swing a trade for Statsny, draft McKinnon and build center out.. go crazy on UFAs

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:18 AM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Well, atleast you guys have the big Janko to look forward to... We wasted our high picks on 3rd liners.

On a serious note... I think CGY should go for a retool instead of a rebuild.. Rebuild is just way too long and way too painful.. especially for a canadian market...

Swing a trade for Statsny, draft McKinnon and build center out.. go crazy on UFAs
this is so silly. what exactly are they giving to get statsny? what quality ufas are out there, and why on earth would they choose calgary?

and arent the flames still close to salary cap?

Old
04-04-2013, 10:21 AM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
He's literally the worst part of one of the worst 4th lines in hockey. There was like a 2-3 minute timer last night where suddenly all the play was in our zone...oh look the 4th line is out again.

they actually gave up half our shots against last night, if not for them we may have held them to under 10.

our 4th line needs wholesale changes this offseason. and i really don't have a good feeling about smithson being a part of the solution either.
I disagree... Smyth is the odd man out on that line... I would prefer Belanger over Smyth on that line. Petrell is good and is a huge reason why we are so good on PK. Jones needs to stay aswell..
The 4th line did get owned last game so the blame should go to someone.. I think each one of the 3 brings something special but arent good as a line.. Hopefully adding Smithson would fix that issue for us. No idea who would sit out. Im guessing it'll be Brown.

+1 to resigning Petrell for next year..

Old
04-04-2013, 10:27 AM
Koto

Quote:
I disagree... Smyth is the odd man out on that line... I would prefer Belanger over Smyth on that line. Petrell is good and is a huge reason why we are so good on PK. Jones needs to stay aswell..
The 4th line did get owned last game so the blame should go to someone.. I think each one of the 3 brings something special but arent good as a line.. Hopefully adding Smithson would fix that issue for us. No idea who would sit out. Im guessing it'll be Brown.

+1 to resigning Petrell for next year..
petrell is a decent penalty killer, but thats not exactly helpful when it looks like we are killing a penalty every time hes on the ice.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:28 AM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

Hall/RNH/Ebs
PRV/Gag/Yak
Smyth/Horc/Hemsky
Jones/Smithson/Petrell

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:30 AM
Namtsua

vCash: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by ales83fan View Post
I've been waiting for The Nuge to do one ! He's our good luck charm

Namtsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:30 AM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ales83fan View Post
Nobody touch it unless your name is TheNuge.

Johnny Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:31 AM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
Hall/RNH/Ebs
PRV/Gag/Yak
Smyth/Horc/Hemsky
Jones/Smithson/Petrell
do not want to see anymore of smyth.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:35 AM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

Quote:
Lets face it, he's not going to be benched down the stretch run. I think he would be better on a line with his old linemates

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:36 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
You just described MPS, and he has great chemistry with Gagner as does Yak.

Keep Hemsky, let him drive the play on the checking line with Horcoff, need scoring depth.
I'll disagree with most here. I like Hemsky with Gagner and PRV because of his speed and ability to carry the puck. The other guys can find space when Hemsky's looking for guys. Plus he's a solid vet

Yakupov with Horcoff and whoever (Jones, Smyth 'at some point', Hartikainen and Lander) because Yakupov is the dynamic offensive threat that gets time against lesser forwards and defense pairs give the Oilers a distinct advantage in those spots. And, frankly, Horcoff and Yakupov seem to have some chemistry.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:37 AM
Petro Points

Quote:
this is so silly. what exactly are they giving to get statsny? what quality ufas are out there, and why on earth would they choose calgary?

and arent the flames still close to salary cap?
If Kipper retires, Flames will have close to 30M in cap space for next season with ~10 players to sign..

Not sure what they would give up for Statsny but they need a player like him to build aorund .. COL is moving out of our division and might be shopping Statsny ... Give up one of the 3 1sts and add a couple players COL wants and it may be possible at the draft.

If not Statsny, go after a Weisse (UFA) or a similar player..

I just dont think doing an Edmonton like rebuild would work in CGY... It only worked because our real GM (KLowe) hid behind Tambo and used him as a firewall. He wouldve looked like a 90 yo and had been fired twice even after being a local hero (if Tambo wasnt around) ..

I hate the Flames but dont want them to suck for that long.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:38 AM
CupofOil
Fire Lowe

Quote:

Petrell has been great in his role all season. Tremendous on the PK, solid on the forecheck and chimes in with some offense. The problem has been his linemates. The revolving door of Eager, Smyth, Belanger and even Brown who i like but is pretty awful with his puck management. Petrell is the one guy that you keep on that line. I would love to see a 4th line of Harti-Lander-Petrell next season.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:38 AM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
Lets face it, he's not going to be benched down the stretch run. I think he would be better on a line with his old linemates
yeah i don't expect that, but no reason he can't stay on the 4th line...in think his old linemates are better off without him.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:39 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
I've ridden Smyth as hard as anyone, because he's done, but I will disagree with this as well, because I think Smyth in rotation with other forwards, Jones, Petrell, Hartikainen and Lander, he might have something to bring to the table.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:43 AM
Petro Points

Quote:
petrell is a decent penalty killer, but thats not exactly helpful when it looks like we are killing a penalty every time hes on the ice.
He was looking fine before Smyth was centering the 4th line. Not blaming Smyth or Petrell... It is just the combo that is not working out.

Petrell leads the Oilers forwards in hits and is 2nd in blocked shots (behind RNH ) .. Has 2 SHP .. doesnt take penalties ... and has as many points as Smyth and Horcoff despite limited offensive minutes.

Alright Im done with my sell-job for a 4th liner..

Old
04-04-2013, 10:43 AM
Koto

Quote:
If Kipper retires, Flames will have close to 30M in cap space for next season with ~10 players to sign..

Not sure what they would give up for Statsny but they need a player like him to build aorund .. COL is moving out of our division and might be shopping Statsny ... Give up one of the 3 1sts and add a couple players COL wants and it may be possible at the draft.

If not Statsny, go after a Weisse (UFA) or a similar player..

I just dont think doing an Edmonton like rebuild would work in CGY... It only worked because our real GM (KLowe) hid behind Tambo and used him as a firewall. He wouldve looked like a 90 yo and had been fired twice even after being a local hero (if Tambo wasnt around) ..

I hate the Flames but dont want them to suck for that long.
COL is still in our division, Minny is the only one leaving, and even if they got statsny and have cap space, why would any good ufa choose to go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Petrell has been great in his role all season. Tremendous on the PK, solid on the forecheck and chimes in with some offense. The problem has been his linemates. The revolving door of Smyth, Belanger and even Brown who i like but is pretty awful with his puck management. Petrell is the one guy that you keep on that line. I would love to see a 4th line of Harti-Lander-Petrell next season.
He along with every member of the 4th line contributes to massive fire drills in our end 9/10 ES shifts they have.

did you see how he would single-handedly ruin the gagner/paajarvi line when wreck-it-ralph moved him up in the lineup when he wanted to "shut games down"?

Old
04-04-2013, 10:47 AM
The Last Dynasty
We're in Hell men

also, props to the Oilfans in Calgary...sounded like a home game there!

reminds me of the good old days when I went there in 2001...Oilers fans were everywhere and the "Sea of Red" was still 3 years away

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:47 AM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I've ridden Smyth as hard as anyone, because he's done, but I will disagree with this as well, because I think Smyth in rotation with other forwards, Jones, Petrell, Hartikainen and Lander, he might have something to bring to the table.
perhaps i mis-wrote my comment, i meant i dont want to see MORE of smyth, not i want him waived, he's still better than petrell, the comment i was referring to had him on the 3rd line which i don't want.

jones and hartikainen should easily be in the top-9 over him.