HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can Malkin carry us again?

Old
04-09-2013, 12:10 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Old School

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Let's stop making this personal issues and focus on the topic.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:12 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by turd View Post
Letang is only considered one of the best defensemen because of his offensive capabilities. He's not very good at the whole "playing D" part of the game, though. And yeah, the cap is an issue. AKA, you don't pay Letang $7M per year because he's not worth that kind of money. Malkin is a superior talent, and while frustrating at times, is an absolute must-sign. He's more important to the team's success than Letang is, period.
If you said this about Karlsson, I'd agree. I think Letang has greatly improved his play in his own zone this season.

As for what Letang is worth, you don't dictate that, the market does.

Shockmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:14 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Old School

I know this is a spirited debate, but sometimes we just have to agree to disagree. Personal shots have to stop right now.

As for the topic - Geno is a generational talent and I cannot agree that Letang is worth more to this team than Geno. No way, no how. It would be irresponsible to let Geno walk for Letang. Irresponsible.

However - it's a fair debate topic so please, let's stay civil.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:16 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
If you said this about Karlsson, I'd agree. I think Letang has greatly improved his play in his own zone this season.

As for what Letang is worth, you don't dictate that, the market does.
I agree with you here. Letang has become a much more well rounded defenseman. That said, he is still not very good on the PP. He is a great skater and distributes the puck up the ice extremely well. Once stationary, he doesn't make very good decisions. His shot rarely hits the net and he can't make a pass for a one timer for the life of him. I just can't justify paying a dman over $7mil that is not a PP QB.

Shady Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:19 PM
radapex

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I know this is a spirited debate, but sometimes we just have to agree to disagree. Personal shots have to stop right now.

As for the topic - Geno is a generational talent and I cannot agree that Letang is worth more to this team than Geno. No way, no how. It would be irresponsible to let Geno walk for Letang. Irresponsible.

However - it's a fair debate topic so please, let's stay civil.
I agree completely with your assessment regarding Malkin vs Letang. My concerns come in the form of salary cap implications. I'm not convinced that, even if they let Letang go, the Pens could built any kind of acceptable forward depth with both Crosby & Malkin signed.

I've held this belief for years, and it's proven true with the exception of right now.

It wouldn't be nearly as big of an issue if the Pens had some wing prospects that looked like legitimate future NHLers, but I'm not seeing it right now.

radapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:19 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Getting rid of Geno for any reason whatsoever is the #1 most idiotic idea that has ever consistently been proposed on these boards.

MrBurghundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:20 PM
Til the End of Time

letang has yet to prove he can be a #1 d-man on team that goes far (or anywhere really) in the playoffs. last year his poor play and lack of discipline was instrumental in the atrocity we witnessed against the flyers.

he's also made of glass.

malkin conversely has had one major injury and then a few other minor issues. he also had one of the greatest postseason runs of all-time.

can't believe this is even a discussion. letang is absurdly overrated.

maybe we can have this sort of talk when a blueline led by letang doesn't suck in the postseason. until then, not even worth discussing

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:24 PM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
letang has yet to prove he can be a #1 d-man on team that goes far (or anywhere really) in the playoffs. last year his poor play and lack of discipline was instrumental in the atrocity we witnessed against the flyers.

he's also made of glass.

malkin conversely has had one major injury and then a few other minor issues. he also had one of the greatest postseason runs of all-time.

can't believe this is even a discussion. letang is absurdly overrated.

maybe we can have this sort of talk when a blueline led by letang doesn't suck in the postseason. until then, not even worth discussing
QFT.

Letang isn't even a top 5 in my ranking. Barely top 10 to me. Still hasn't won it as the guy

nTsplnk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:24 PM
radapex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
I agree with you here. Letang has become a much more well rounded defenseman. That said, he is still not very good on the PP. He is a great skater and distributes the puck up the ice extremely well. Once stationary, he doesn't make very good decisions. His shot rarely hits the net and he can't make a pass for a one timer for the life of him. I just can't justify paying a dman over $7mil that is not a PP QB.
Let's suppose Shero re-signs Malkin at $10.8-million (same as Crosby's first 8 season) and Letang at $6-million. What happens next? They'll have spent over $41-million on only 6 players and have only about $23-million to fit the rest of the roster in.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:26 PM
Sidney the Kidney
We got Kessel?!

vCash: 1000
I don't really get where this notion that the Pens can't afford to re-sign both Malkin and Letang comes from. That seems to be the whole reason behind the "trade Malkin/trade Letang" debate, yet it doesn't jive with me.

For one, when looking at whatever raise they're going to get, you look at the increase in salary, not the overall salary, to see where that money comes from. In Malkin's case, even if he gets $10 million per season, the figure that's important is where is Shero going to find an additional $1.3 million to fit his salary, not the entire $10 million figure. Ditto with Letang. He's getting, what, $3.5 million, so an increase to $6.5 million would require Shero to find an additional $3 million in cap space. So in total, Shero has to find room for $4.8 to $5 million extra room.

Instead of dealing one of them, how about he just clears dead weight? I'd hope to God Shero's bright enough to cut ties with Orpik if it meant being able to fit in both Letang and Malkin. Orpik's making $3.75 million. Cutting him, and using Engelland/Bortuzzo/any ELC defenseman in his place, you've already paid for Letang's raise. Then it's a bit more creative accounting, like dumping guys like Glass and/or Kennedy and replacing them with cheap ELC talent, and you've covered Geno's cost.

The only possible wrinkle is if the Pens re-sign Iginla, and depending on his salary, how much extra room will need to be cleared to fit both Geno and Tanger. But I really don't think it's as big of an issue as some thing. Worse comes to worse, you deal Paul Martin's salary.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:31 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by radapex View Post
I agree completely with your assessment regarding Malkin vs Letang. My concerns come in the form of salary cap implications. I'm not convinced that, even if they let Letang go, the Pens could built any kind of acceptable forward depth with both Crosby & Malkin signed.

I've held this belief for years, and it's proven true with the exception of right now.

It wouldn't be nearly as big of an issue if the Pens had some wing prospects that looked like legitimate future NHLers, but I'm not seeing it right now.
Pretty much this. You could sign Malkin and say "Hey look! We have the two best players in the world!" But would it be the best team? Would you suffocate yourself financially so that you would be unable to properly build around those players?

If you trade Malkin, you obviously don't get any one player of that caliber in return, but you should get plently of players to strengthen your depth. Plus you'd still have the best player in the world in Crosby and a top 5 d-man in Letang. Sure the Penguins would be different, but they'd still be a top 5 team in this league.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:35 PM
radapex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I don't really get where this notion that the Pens can't afford to re-sign both Malkin and Letang comes from. That seems to be the whole reason behind the "trade Malkin/trade Letang" debate, yet it doesn't jive with me.

For one, when looking at whatever raise they're going to get, you look at the increase in salary, not the overall salary, to see where that money comes from. In Malkin's case, even if he gets $10 million per season, the figure that's important is where is Shero going to find an additional $1.3 million to fit his salary, not the entire $10 million figure. Ditto with Letang. He's getting, what, $3.5 million, so an increase to $6.5 million would require Shero to find an additional $3 million in cap space. So in total, Shero has to find room for $4.8 to $5 million extra room.

Instead of dealing one of them, how about he just clears dead weight? I'd hope to God Shero's bright enough to cut ties with Orpik if it meant being able to fit in both Letang and Malkin. Orpik's making $3.75 million. Cutting him, and using Engelland/Bortuzzo/any ELC defenseman in his place, you've already paid for Letang's raise. Then it's a bit more creative accounting, like dumping guys like Glass and/or Kennedy and replacing them with cheap ELC talent, and you've covered Geno's cost.

The only possible wrinkle is if the Pens re-sign Iginla, and depending on his salary, how much extra room will need to be cleared to fit both Geno and Tanger. But I really don't think it's as big of an issue as some thing. Worse comes to worse, you deal Paul Martin's salary.
None of the players you've mentioned are signed for when Malkin & Letang's new contracts would come into effect (2014-15). Using the $10M/$6.5M you provided, the 2014-15 roster you look like this:

Malkin ($10.0M)
Crosby ($8.7M)
Neal ($5.0M)
Bennet ($0.9M)

Letang ($6.5M)
Martin ($5.0M)

Fleury ($5.0M)

Projected Cap: $64.3M
Cap Payroll: $41.1M
Projected Cap Space: $23.2M

Projected Lines:
xxxx - Crosby - Bennett
xxxx - Malkin - Neal
xxxx - xxxx - xxxx
xxxx - xxxx - xxxx
xxxx

Martin - Letang
xxxx - xxxx
xxxx - xxxx
xxxx

Fleury
xxxx

Allocate $8M for the top 6 wingers, $2M for the backup goalie, $7M for the 2nd pairing defenseman, and you're left with just $6.2M to spend on the 3rd line + 4th line + 13th forward + 3rd defense pairing + 7th defenseman.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:36 PM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
Pretty much this. You could sign Malkin and say "Hey look! We have the two best players in the world!" But would it be the best team? Would you suffocate yourself financially so that you would be unable to properly build around those players?

If you trade Malkin, you obviously don't get any one player of that caliber in return, but you should get plently of players to strengthen your depth. Plus you'd still have the best player in the world in Crosby and a top 5 d-man in Letang. Sure the Penguins would be different, but they'd still be a top 5 team in this league.
I hear you-but your fears are unfounded imo. All teams cut somewhere-what happens when Crosby gets another shot in the face?
It's nice having Geno back there to step up.

Only reason this is even up for debate is because Geno hasn't played his best in a few games this year. This is a debate that should never be held.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:38 PM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
None of the players you've mentioned are signed for when Malkin & Letang's new contracts would come into effect (2014-15). Using the $10M/$6.5M you provided, the 2014-15 roster you look like this:

Malkin ($10.0M)
Crosby ($8.7M)
Neal ($5.0M)
Bennet ($0.9M)

Letang ($6.5M)
Martin ($5.0M)

Fleury ($5.0M)

Projected Lines:
xxxx - Crosby - Bennett
xxxx - Malkin - Neal
xxxx - xxxx - xxxx
xxxx - xxxx - xxxx
xxxx

Martin - Letang
xxxx - xxxx
xxxx - xxxx
xxxx

Fleury
xxxx

Allocate $8M for the top 6 wingers, $2M for the backup goalie, $7M for the 2nd pairing defenseman, and you're left with just $6.2M to spend on the 3rd line + 4th line + 13th forward + 3rd defense pairing + 7th defenseman.

The Cap will begin to increase again as years pass and revenue grows. It only got setback because of the lockout.

Truly look at the long term.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:43 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherDigest View Post
I hear you-but your fears are unfounded imo. All teams cut somewhere-what happens when Crosby gets another shot in the face?
It's nice having Geno back there to step up.

Only reason this is even up for debate is because Geno hasn't played his best in a few games this year. This is a debate that should never be held.
Okay, Crosby could get injured. What do the Blackhawks do if Toews gets another concussion? What do the Flyers do if Giroux goes out long-term? What do the Lightning do if Stamkos is out an extended period? What do the Kings to if Kopitar is out? None of their #2 centers are anywhere as good as Malkin.

Guys could always get injured. A GM can't just sit in his office and go "Oh no! This guy could get hurt, so I have to break the bank on another guy that almost equals his talents despite the rest of my team!"

As for this debate, it very well could be happening even if Malkin was playing better. No matter how much some of us try to disregard it, the salary cap is a major aspect of this.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:45 PM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
This conversation happens even when Malkin is playing at an MVP level.

Mario_is_BACK!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:46 PM
Sidney the Kidney
We got Kessel?!

vCash: 1000
Quote:

Malkin ($10.0M)
Crosby ($8.7M)
Neal ($5.0M)
Bennet ($0.9M)

Letang ($6.5M)
Martin ($5.0M)

Fleury ($5.0M)

Projected Lines:
xxxx - Crosby - Bennett
xxxx - Malkin - Neal
xxxx - xxxx - xxxx
xxxx - xxxx - xxxx
xxxx

Martin - Letang
xxxx - xxxx
xxxx - xxxx
xxxx

Fleury
xxxx

Why are you projecting the cap to remain at $64 million? By all accounts, it goes down next year, but then will rise in subsequent seasons.

For two top six wingers, we're paying $4 million each? When have we ever done that? We've made do with Dupuis and Kunitz to help offset the salaries. Even if we re-sign Iginla for, say, $4.5 million, that still leaves $3.5 for someone like Kunitz or Dupuis, which is easy to fit in.

Also, if cap space is an issue, why are you paying $2 million for a backup goalie? We can afford to do that this year because of all the cap space. But if we're tight for space, I'd hope Shero would allocate that money toward the re-signing of Malkin/Letang and just carry a "cheap" backup.

On defense, your estimation is a bit high. $7 million? Guys like Niskanen and our ELC guys can handle second pairing duties for less than $7 million total. The third pairing can be made up of cheap guys like Engelland and ELC guys, combined for no more than about $1.5 million total.

How much do you think Sutter's going to be paid? Unless he has a huge breakout season offensively between now and then, I don't think he'll be getting too much of a raise. And the rest of the guys that fill out our bottom six (Cooke, Kennedy, Adams, Glass, Vitale, etc.) can be had for between $500k to $1.5 million, with good spending by Shero.

Quite frankly, I think you're overestimating the cost to fill those spots.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:47 PM
wolffy66

Having Crosby has absolutely nothing to do with the value of Malkin. We aren't talking about having 2 starting quarterbacks here, they both play big minutes. Why wouldn't you want to increase the time you have a hall of fame center on the ice? 40 mins of it is better than 20. The fact Sid is often injured saddens me so I wont bring it up.

wolffy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:55 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Old School

If Geno is willing to sign 9m or less.... then he's good on any team in the NHL. I don't care what their cap situation is. You make it work. He holds greater value.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:56 PM
radapex

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherDigest View Post
The Cap will begin to increase again as years pass and revenue grows. It only got setback because of the lockout.

Truly look at the long term.
It's got to increase quite a bit to have a significant impact. The $70.2-million salary cap set off 57% of $3.3-billion would require over $3.7-billion in revenue at a 50% split. Let's say they get back to the $3.3-billion mark next season, then the salary cap in 2014-15 will still be $64.3-million.

(2014-15) $3300-million * 0.5 / 30 + $8-million = $63-million = $64.3-million cap

Then, if we split the difference of projections used by the NHL (5%) and NHLPA (7%) for growth we're looking at the following:

2014-15 Revenue = $3300-million * 1.06 = $3498-million
(2015-16) $3498-million * 0.5 / 30 + $8-million = $66.3-millioncap

2015-16 Revenue = $3498-million * 1.06 = $3707.7-million
(2016-17) $3707.7-million * 0.5 / 30 + $8-million = $69.795-million cap

2016-17 Revenue = $3707.7-million * 1.06 = $3930.162-million
(2017-18) $3930.162-million * 0.5 / 30 + $8-million = $73.5027-million cap

So that's possibly 4 more seasons before the cap even hits $70-million again. That's assuming HRR returns to $3.3-billion next season and grows by 6% a year after that.

Unless the NHL suddenly takes off in the US, I can't see revenue every getting that close to to $4-billion. The NBA only pulls in about $4.3-billion a year and it's incredibly more popular than the NHL.

The problem with looking at the long term is that you have to get through seasons at a lower salary cap before you can get to that long term.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:56 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:

Again this all sounds dandy until you start putting names in the trades. Who are we getting in a return for Malkin that is giving is all types of depth? What would you define as an adequate return for Malkin? This conversation really isn't valuable until you start naming possible trade scenarios. Once you look at it that way, it's clear to me that trading Malkin without substantially weakening our team is very, very difficult.

Shady Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:58 PM
radapex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
If Geno is willing to sign 9m or less.... then he's good on any team in the NHL. I don't care what their cap situation is. You make it work. He holds greater value.
If he signs at $9-million or less, then it's not an issue. It's if he getting up in the $10- or $11-million range that it creates problems, since the Pens typically don't have much cap space to work with.

Old
04-09-2013, 01:03 PM
NastyNick

I think Letang is gone in the offseason. That is the vibe i'm getting from hearing Shero speak and Letang himself. I think Malkin is sold in staying in Pittsburgh, and i think the team is committed to him. For Letang i think its going to take $$ and term, two things that the two parties will be far away on. The injuries haven't helped.

The only thing that could stop this is a game-changing performance in the playoffs.. but even then, that will just drive his price up and out of the Pen's range.

NastyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:06 PM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
It's got to increase quite a bit to have a significant impact. The $70.2-million salary cap set off 57% of $3.3-billion would require over $3.7-billion in revenue at a 50% split. Let's say they get back to the $3.3-billion mark next season, then the salary cap in 2014-15 will still be $64.3-million.

(2014-15) $3300-million * 0.5 / 30 + $8-million = $63-million = $64.3-million cap

Then, if we split the difference of projections used by the NHL (5%) and NHLPA (7%) for growth we're looking at the following:

2014-15 Revenue = $3300-million * 1.06 = $3498-million
(2015-16) $3498-million * 0.5 / 30 + $8-million = $66.3-millioncap

2015-16 Revenue = $3498-million * 1.06 = $3707.7-million
(2016-17) $3707.7-million * 0.5 / 30 + $8-million = $69.795-million cap

2016-17 Revenue = $3707.7-million * 1.06 = $3930.162-million
(2017-18) $3930.162-million * 0.5 / 30 + $8-million = $73.5027-million cap

So that's possibly 4 more seasons before the cap even hits $70-million again. That's assuming HRR returns to $3.3-billion next season and grows by 6% a year after that.

Unless the NHL suddenly takes off in the US, I can't see revenue every getting that close to to $4-billion. The NBA only pulls in about $4.3-billion a year and it's incredibly more popular than the NHL.
Yes but you fail to take into account the impact a lower cap has on new deals.

You're essentially arguing from the standpoint of a decrease in cap space without taking into account the league wide impact as well as the impact on new deals.

It's nice when people post numbers. These numbers aren't effective at gauging growth nor predicting the future, though. I expect the NHL to grow at an even faster rate as the possibility of relocation and expansion adds even more revenue.

Old
04-09-2013, 01:07 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Old School

I think what people fail to realize is that they somehow believe if we get rid of Geno, we will have someone at a high level 1) want to come here and 2) come at a cheap price. It just won't happen.