HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can Malkin carry us again?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-09-2013, 10:38 AM
  #201
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
 
Mario_is_BACK!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,253
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Not so sure about that, I do think he will stay but I think he will make a little more than that cause he won't be able to extend more then 8 seasons. Crosby got 12 years which makes a big difference, 4 extra years for a total of 34.8 million
Perhaps, just perhaps, that doesn't bother him based on the money he makes elsewhere. Or he doesn't base his value based on what Sid makes and knows the difference with the new CBA.

Mario_is_BACK!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:38 AM
  #202
Shockmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 10,794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario_is_BACK!! View Post
You completely missed my point or you chose to ignore it.

PS there is no one that brings what Malkin does to the ice in the pipe line or in the rest of the league either.
No I didn't, you just missed the point I'm trying to make.

You already have the best player in the world in Crosby. No one player would replace Malkin, but what you get in return for him in a trade would very much strengthen the depth of the team.

The last three teams to win the cup didn't have a player the caliber of Malkin as their #2 center.

Shockmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:40 AM
  #203
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
 
Mario_is_BACK!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,253
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
No I didn't, you just missed the point I'm trying to make.

You already have the best player in the world in Crosby. No one player would replace Malkin, but what you get in return for him in a trade would very much strengthen the depth of the team.

The last three teams to win the cup didn't have a player the caliber of Malkin as their #2 center.
That's because no other team has two players like Malkin. That's one extremely arbitrary measure in that last sentence.

You can also trade Letang and achieve the same as strengthening the depth of the team. Crazy how that works both ways.

Mario_is_BACK!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:41 AM
  #204
Shockmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 10,794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario_is_BACK!! View Post
That's because no other team has two players like Malkin. That's one extremely arbitrary measure in that last sentence.

You can also trade Letang and achieve the same as strengthening the depth of the team. Crazy how that works both ways.
Makes it easier to trade Malkin when you already have Crosby.

Shockmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:42 AM
  #205
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
 
Mario_is_BACK!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,253
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
Makes it easier to trade Malkin when you already have Crosby.
And it's even easier to trade Letang when you have Maata, Pouliot, Despres, Martin already in the pipe line or playing on the team.

Mario_is_BACK!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:43 AM
  #206
laufer72
Registered User
 
laufer72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Croatia
Posts: 2,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
So yes, all things considering, I would say Letang is more important long-term
No he's not, there's a reason why Shero drafted Pouliot so high.

laufer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:49 AM
  #207
Shockmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 10,794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario_is_BACK!! View Post
And it's even easier to trade Letang when you have Maata, Pouliot, Despres, Martin already in the pipe line or playing on the team.
Not really. Two of the guys are prospects that have never played an NHL game. Martin is in his 30's, can't be sure if he'll be resigned when his contract is up, or if he'll even finish the contract in Pittsburgh. Despres certainly is in the Penguins future, but he's no Kris Letang.

Quote:
No he's not, there's a reason why Shero drafted Pouliot so high.
Okay, but Pouliot hasn't play an NHL game yet. Little early to be declaring him the next Norris trophy candidate, isn't it?

Shockmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:52 AM
  #208
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
 
Mario_is_BACK!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,253
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
Not really. Two of the guys are prospects that have never played an NHL game. Martin is in his 30's, can't be sure if he'll be resigned when his contract is up, or if he'll even finish the contract in Pittsburgh. Despres certainly is in the Penguins future, but he's no Kris Letang.
And there's no one in this league you will get, no matter the return, that will be close to an even return for Malkin. You will lose that trade. Period.

If you trade Letang you will have a much better chance at getting an equal return in some form.

Mario_is_BACK!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:54 AM
  #209
laufer72
Registered User
 
laufer72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Croatia
Posts: 2,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
Okay, but Pouliot hasn't play an NHL game yet. Little early to be declaring him the next Norris trophy candidate, isn't it?
You said "long term" didn't you?!

Regardless, very notion of Letnag being more important to the club than Malkin in any way, is just plain silly.

laufer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:55 AM
  #210
Shockmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 10,794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario_is_BACK!! View Post
And there's no one in this league you will get, no matter the return, that will be close to an even return for Malkin. You will lose that trade. Period.

If you trade Letang you will have a much better chance at getting an equal return in some form.
Did you read my earlier post?

Quote:
You already have the best player in the world in Crosby. No one player would replace Malkin, but what you get in return for him in a trade would very much strengthen the depth of the team.

Shockmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:55 AM
  #211
NewFang
Registered User
 
NewFang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Not so sure about that, I do think he will stay but I think he will make a little more than that cause he won't be able to extend more then 8 seasons. Crosby got 12 years which makes a big difference, 4 extra years for a total of 34.8 million
Correct. IMO it will take about $10M per over 8 years for Malkin to sign. Maybe a hair under if he takes a discount.

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:57 AM
  #212
nTsplnk*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,282
vCash: 500
Kris Letang is a top 15 D-man who sometimes cracks the top 10.

He has injury issues. He sucks on the PP. He relies on his speed and not smart positioning. His shot is average. His passing is good north south but is terrible in the offensive zone.

Malkin is a top 3 forward. He has won multiple league trophies including the Conn Smythe, Hart, etc. He has the ability to take over games. Sometimes he has consistency issues and has also had some nagging injuries in years past.

It's a no brainer. Malkin over Letang.

nTsplnk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:57 AM
  #213
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
 
Mario_is_BACK!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,253
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
Did you read my earlier post?
And I would much rather get an equal return and keep two generational talents then get rid of one for a lesser package. You "strengthen" the team but make it weaker at the same time.

Mario_is_BACK!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:59 AM
  #214
Shockmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 10,794
vCash: 500
Let me pose a question to some of you:

Do you think every team in the NHL has a Kris Letang?

Shockmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:59 AM
  #215
nTsplnk*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,282
vCash: 500
This thread is absurd:

You don't get rid of generational talent. You surround it with more talent.

Look at the Flyer's. Boy, they got a whole lot deeper and younger! Got them real far....

nTsplnk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:00 AM
  #216
laufer72
Registered User
 
laufer72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Croatia
Posts: 2,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
Let me pose a question to some of you:

Do you think every team in the NHL has a Kris Letang?
At least half of them..... not a single one has Malkin.

laufer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:03 AM
  #217
Shockmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 10,794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherDigest View Post
This thread is absurd:

You don't get rid of generational talent. You surround it with more talent.

Look at the Flyer's. Boy, they got a whole lot deeper and younger! Got them real far....
Richards and Carter aren't quite generational talents. Their issues are they have no puck-moving d-men and they overpaid their goalie.

Quote:
At least half of them..... not a single one has Malkin.
You would be wrong then.

Shockmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:04 AM
  #218
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
 
Mario_is_BACK!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,253
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
Let me pose a question to some of you:

Do you think every team in the NHL has a Kris Letang?
More than a few have an equatable player who controls the flow.

As someone else stated there is only one Malkin in this league.

Mario_is_BACK!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:05 AM
  #219
NewFang
Registered User
 
NewFang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
Let me pose a question to some of you:

Do you think every team in the NHL has a Kris Letang?
There are more Letangs than Malkins

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:07 AM
  #220
laufer72
Registered User
 
laufer72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Croatia
Posts: 2,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
Richards and Carter aren't quite generational talents. Their issues are they have no puck-moving d-men and they overpaid their goalie.
Timonen?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
You would be wrong then.
Sky is green........it is, just ignore the fact that I've provide zero proof.

In all reality, you either don't watch any other hockey teams but Pens, or you have significantly overestimated Letang at this point of his career.

laufer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:07 AM
  #221
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
 
Mario_is_BACK!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,253
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
You would be wrong then.
Karlsson, Chara, Letang, Doughty, Weber, Suban, Suter, Yandle, Keith, Green (when healthy). That's 1/3 of the league who has a player better than/the same as/very close to Kris Letang.

Now name the teams with a Malkin or like Malkin.

Mario_is_BACK!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:08 AM
  #222
Shockmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 10,794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFang View Post
There are more Letangs than Malkins
But when you already have Crosby, that makes Letang more important to this team.

Remember, building a team isn't just about collecting all the big name players.

Shockmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:11 AM
  #223
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
 
Mario_is_BACK!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,253
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
But when you already have Crosby, that makes Letang more important to this team.

Remember, building a team isn't just about collecting all the big name players.
And who has meant more to the team? The offensive defenseman or the two time MVP and Conn Smythe winner? Further who has the potential to mean more? Also who is more replaceable as a result?

Either you can't see the forest through the trees or I've been talking to a brick wall.

Mario_is_BACK!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:12 AM
  #224
turd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
But when you already have Crosby, that makes Letang more important to this team.
Que?

turd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:13 AM
  #225
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 28,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario_is_BACK!! View Post
Karlsson, Chara, Letang, Doughty, Weber, Suban, Suter, Yandle, Keith, Green (when healthy). That's 1/3 of the league who has a player better than/the same as/very close to Kris Letang.

Now name the teams with a Malkin or like Malkin.
And that list didn't include Petro or Boyle.

Shady Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.