HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Drew Stafford

Old
04-04-2013, 06:08 AM
5 Minute Major

vCash: 374
Drew Stafford

I think it is obvious that there was little to no interest around the league for him.

With saying that, I think the time has come to put him on the Hodgson, Vanek line when Vanek is healthy. There are only like 11 games left in the season. Hopefully, he can hit one of his infamous hot streaks to drum up a little interest this summer.

If not, I see him as an amnesty buy out.

Opinions?

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 06:13 AM
gallagt01

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
I think it is obvious that there was little to no interest around the league for him.

With saying that, I think the time has come to put him on the Hodgson, Vanek line when Vanek is healthy. There are only like 11 games left in the season. Hopefully, he can hit one of his infamous hot streaks to drum up a little interest this summer.

Opinions?
I agree that he should be on the top line now.

No way he's an amnesty buy out. I'm in the minority, but Stafford has become underrated around these parts. He's played better than his totals suggest and is a quality two-way player with some possession skills.

I think he should be moved. But unlike most, I won't necessarily mind if he isn't.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 06:45 AM
cardiffgiant
Dont call him Beavis

vCash: 50
I agree. If they want to trade him for anything worthwhile it's time to pad his stats with a little time on the PP and tip line.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 06:56 AM
Jim Bob
....Rebooting....

I'm down on Stafford and have been since they didn't sell high after his career year.

At this point the best use of resources may be waiting to see if he gets another contract year bump in a few years and trade him at that deadline....

Jim Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:02 AM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
I agree that he should be on the top line now.

No way he's an amnesty buy out. I'm in the minority, but Stafford has become underrated around these parts. He's played better than his totals suggest and is a quality two-way player with some possession skills.

I think he should be moved. But unlike most, I won't necessarily mind if he isn't.
Well put my thoughts exactly.

is the answer jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:06 AM
Karate Johnson*

I have very very recently done a 180 on stafford.

Poms is gone. Vanek and Miller will be gone this summer.

We need skaters for the rebuild... Stafford isn't overly expensive... Just let him play out his deal and trade him at the deadline before he's a FA if he has any value.

Karate Johnson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:07 AM
Mergus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post

Opinions?
"1 day ago 10:39 a.m. - Three or four teams interested in Buffalo's Drew Stafford. (Ottawa Sun)"

What makes you think there was no interest in Stafford? Maybe Darcy just thought he was worth more than was offered? Maybe someone offered 2 second round picks and Darcy wanted a 1st? Who knows, but there was interest.

There is 0 chance he will be bought out. Like, better chance Pegula gets bored and sells the team next week.

Mergus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:59 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

If it were up to me, I'd treat him purely as trade bait.

If he was named Ales Kotalik, the press would've been dumping on the guy for 4 of the last 5 years.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:07 AM
pigpen65

Hey,, Ruff gave this guy the A for a reason. There are obviously leadership qualities we don't see. I also know he makes funny youtube videos, so that's something. Pominville is gone, Vanek doesn't want to stay for a rebuild, so Stafford is the new captain.

pigpen65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:13 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

His a great depth forward because, like Roy, he can score goals in bunches. His play away from the puck is also improving. His useless to us as he doesn't really do much else and his inconsistent and unreliable scoring pace is a problem when you have as little depth on wing as we do.

His also overpaid for what he brings, 2.5-3mill would be a fair deal, but no-one wants a 50 point, inconsistent, heartless player who's got a $4mill cap hit.

There will be a trade for him but Darcy will have to settle for a mid range prospect or a cap hit coming the other way.

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:15 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post

We need skaters for the rebuild... Stafford isn't overly expensive... Just let him play out his deal and trade him at the deadline before he's a FA if he has any value.
Then we need to bring in Veterans of Staffords age with character. Stafford plays with no heart or intensity. Sure we're bad at wing, but lowering our standards shouldn't be the solution. Fixing them should be.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:17 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Slap the C on him and watch his trade value skyrocket.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:21 AM
AirBriere48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergus View Post
"1 day ago – 10:39 a.m. - Three or four teams interested in Buffalo's Drew Stafford. (Ottawa Sun)"

What makes you think there was no interest in Stafford? Maybe Darcy just thought he was worth more than was offered? Maybe someone offered 2 second round picks and Darcy wanted a 1st? Who knows, but there was interest.

There is 0 chance he will be bought out. Like, better chance Pegula gets bored and sells the team next week.
For what it's worth, Darcy said in his interview with Brian Duff yesterday that, besides the Pominville move, things were very quiet. I don't know if I believe the Garrioch report that 3-4 teams were in on Staff. I think we move him at the draft, however.

AirBriere48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:30 AM
TehDoak
He sure has a

vCash: 903
He's gonna have opportunity to really prove he can be a top line winger next year.

He's plum out of excuses next season. We don't need the cap space and it's not like he's a malcontent. And if he continues to struggle, we can always buy him out next summer.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:33 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBriere48 View Post
For what it's worth, Darcy said in his interview with Brian Duff yesterday that, besides the Pominville move, things were very quiet. I don't know if I believe the Garrioch report that 3-4 teams were in on Staff. I think we move him at the draft, however.
He also said they were initially focusing on another player on their roster. Could've been Stafford, but who knows.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:11 AM
matthew94

Send a message via AIM to matthew94
I also think Stafford could be kept. You can't have a roster of 22 year olds.

I'd have no problem with a forward line up like this to start 2014/15 season:

Drouin Hodgson Stafford
Leino Grigorenko Armia
Larson Girgensons Ott
Foligno Schaller/Porter Kaleta/Flynn/Tropp/Gerbe

Trade Vanek at next year's deadline (Darcy's strength)
Trade Ennis/picks for a stud D-man

Ehrhoff/Big name
Myers/Sekera
Pysyk/McNabb/Weber

I won't speculate about which goalies will have developed into starters or if we'll have traded for one

I think that is a likeable roster with a potential for success. My point being, Stafford is worth keeping so there are some veteran forwards on the top lines (Stafford, Leino, Ott)

matthew94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:50 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Rolston reunited FES a few games ago and they've seemingly played well with them. Trading low (again) isn't going to help them so if they move him this off-season after some games to restore some semblance of value would be fine. And if they don't find a taker, where they get decent enough value, so be it. He's roster filler right now.

04-04-2013, 11:20 AM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

I believe he will be on the team at least through next season. With that in mind the thing to do is find where he fits best in the lineup going forward.

Vanek - Hodgson - Leino/Ott/Tropp
Foligno - Ennis - Stafford
Leino/Ott - Larssen - Tropp/Leino
Flynn - Porter - Kaleta
Gerbe

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:31 AM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post

Vanek will not be gone.

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:42 PM
Salzig
I am laudable.

I'm not a big fan of Stafford but I think they should keep him. We won't get anything mentionable for him and we need some experienced players on the roster to help the young players progress.

Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:51 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
He's gonna have opportunity to really prove he can be a top line winger next year.

He's plum out of excuses next season. We don't need the cap space and it's not like he's a malcontent. And if he continues to struggle, we can always buy him out next summer.
I doubt that for 3 reasons

1) He isn't a top line winger. He's a secondary scorer. So trying to yet again see if he can handle top line duty for a season would be a waste of time.

2) I don't see Vanek going anywhere and that would mean a possible Tropp/Hodgson/Vanek reunion next year or Ott staying on that line in place instead of Tropp.

3) Stafford has good chemistry with Foligno/Ennis. If they can get this line back on track as part of a 1-2 offensive punch with the aforementioned Hodgson line along with a strong defensive 3rd line. That, more than anything, would get Stafford's game back to where it needs to be.

It would be a HUGE mistake to try and build a top heavy lineup again with a Vanek/Hodgson/Stafford line as the #1 line.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:15 PM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Now we have got rid of Pom everyone wants to keep a player who has performed well below expectactions and shows little interest on improving. He has had one good season here. There are better players, who can be a better role model out there on the market.

Old
04-04-2013, 03:35 PM
Moskau

vCash: 67
Regier and Chevy kicked the tires on a Stafford - Burmistrov deal. There's no reason it can't be revisited again in the off-season.

If Stafford HAS to be on the roster next year he either needs to be on the 2nd line or molded into a checking line forward similar to what Detroit does with players who don't live up to their potential.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 03:46 PM
Zip15

vCash: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBillsBuffalo View Post
Vanek will not be gone.
I'd bet my entire wad of vcash he's not a Sabre one year from today.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 03:48 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Regier and Chevy kicked the tires on a Stafford - Burmistrov deal. There's no reason it can't be revisited again in the off-season.

If Stafford HAS to be on the roster next year he either needs to be on the 2nd line or molded into a checking line forward similar to what Detroit does with players who don't live up to their potential.
How much confirmation is there that these talks took place?

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote