HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Who" is not buying into "what"?

Old
03-27-2013, 08:07 AM
superblues
:sarcasm: implied

vCash: 500
"Who" is not buying into "what"?

Quote:
Jeremy Rutherford ‏@jprutherford
Hitch addressed the media 1 hr 17 minutes after the game ended. He met with team leaders. Repeated that buy-in is not there.
We've been hearing and reading about player "buy in," or lack thereof, all season.

So who on this team isn't buying into what exactly?

superblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 08:23 AM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
"What" is the defensive system of hockey that Hitch plays where you don't see an insanely high amount of odd man rushes against.

As to "who", it's not just one player.

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:30 AM
Maya Blue

Their immaturity is showing. They got cocky after last season and their fast start this year. They think their personal skill is what got them there.

They are soft and have a hard time dealing with adversity.

There needs to be a shakeup to wake these guys up. Trade a Perron, Oshie or Backes. A message needs to be sent.

Maya Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:38 AM
Alklha

vCash: 868
It is basically the whole team that isn't buying into the style of game that we need to play to be successful. We aren't doing the right things in the offensive zone and when we give up chances, they are premium chances.

It is the little things that are going to be the factor here. Look at the first goal last night, Pietrangelo made a bad read and was ultimately out of position and we lost a goal. The thing that highlights our problems this season is as much the play of Perron as that of Pietrangelo there. Perron stops and looks back and only starts moving his feet a couple of seconds after the breakaway has started. It wouldn't have made a difference to the goal in this situation, but that won't make it any more acceptable to Hitchcock. You have to be aware of what is going on on the ice and it is team defense. Perron is far from the only one guilty of stupid little incidents like that, it was just an obvious one to highlight.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:42 AM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya Blue View Post
Their immaturity is showing. They got cocky after last season and their fast start this year. They think their personal skill is what got them there.

There needs to be a shakeup to wake these guys up. Trade a Perron, Oshie or Backes. A message needs to be sent.
Maybe, depending on the return
Zero chance
Doubtful, unless for a huge overpayment

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:13 AM
Maya Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
Maybe, depending on the return
Zero chance
Doubtful, unless for a huge overpayment
But who isn't buying into it? The 4th line guys? Doubt it, they play their hearts out every shift.

Sobotka, Tarasenko, McDonald, Steen? They're good.

Stewie, Berglund? Possibly.

Backes? He's the captain and should be fully behind it.

That leaves Oshie and Perron...

As for the Defensemen? Petro is having a tough year, but the rest are dealing more with being in the right position or losing their man down low behind the play. But that might be more about what the forwards are not doing their job.

As for the return, while I've always been a big fan of Oshie and Perron and Backes, I think we Blues fans have a tendency to always overvalue our own. Oshie is probably the most valuable of the three. Just because he has better offensive skills thans Backes, but can play the defensive game just as good.

Perron is a one-trick pony at this point. He doesn't pass well enough, and hot dogs it too much with the puck.

Backes is one of those guys that will be around for years in the league. But never be more than a 50 forward.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:18 AM
shifting

Every game Perron is closer and closer to be traded, just a gut feel.

I like Perron, but he is trying to do too much, and ends up trying to do it alone.

shifting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:23 AM
shifting

Quote:
Backes is one of those guys that will be around for years in the league. But never be more than a 50 forward.
I disagree, before this anomaly of a season, he was trending towards a 60 point per season Center, with the ability to hit people. He still has 3-4 years before he is in his prime. He will get there.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:36 AM
Maya Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifting View Post
I disagree, before this anomaly of a season, he was trending towards a 60 point per season Center, with the ability to hit people. He still has 3-4 years before he is in his prime. He will get there.
I hope I'm wrong and you're right.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:43 AM
tfriede2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifting View Post
You mean "out" of his prime, right? He's in his prime now, and in 3-4 years, he'll be beginning the downside of his career.

tfriede2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:45 AM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

I didn't want to be the first to bring him up because it can't just be one guy and I've been accused of being a "hater" before, but Perron stands out to me that doesn't seem to buy in.

Yeah he can make things happen offensively that nobody else (besides maybe Tarasenko) can, but he's on pace for 53 points this season. That isn't an elite level player that would make you say "ok I can deal with some flaws defensively).

If a "shake-up" trade is what needs to happen (and I'm not a big advocate of trading for the purpose of shaking things up) then he's the guy I would look at.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:55 AM
Blue Note

Perron is hands down one of my favorite players of all time but I do think he is stubborn with the puck and waits until his passing lanes close sohe can take a shot, share the wealth bro. Lets pass a bit more and let the points pile up. The last thing i want to do is trade him but gotta start somewhere .

Blue Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:56 AM
shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfriede2 View Post
You mean "out" of his prime, right? He's in his prime now, and in 3-4 years, he'll be beginning the downside of his career.
I stand corrected, I had thought he was 26 for some reason.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:58 AM
CarvinSigX
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
I didn't want to be the first to bring him up because it can't just be one guy and I've been accused of being a "hater" before, but Perron stands out to me that doesn't seem to buy in.

Yeah he can make things happen offensively that nobody else (besides maybe Tarasenko) can, but he's on pace for 53 points this season. That isn't an elite level player that would make you say "ok I can deal with some flaws defensively).

If a "shake-up" trade is what needs to happen (and I'm not a big advocate of trading for the purpose of shaking things up) then he's the guy I would look at.
Who creates more, Perron or Frank? Who costs more? Who's taking penalties left and right?

I called for a breakout year from Perron...Not the case. The guy (among others) has been flat out detrimental to the team at times.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 11:37 AM
HockeyGuy73

Perron seems to have never grown up yet, he is playing like the kid Andy Murray had to bench often, and called it a growing process. Way too many offensive zone penalties. I agree, he may be the one to go, but I hope its not a trade for the sake of a shake up trade. Wonder what kind of package it would take to pry Wayne Simmonds out of Philly.

HockeyGuy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 11:40 AM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy73 View Post
Perron seems to have never grown up yet, he is playing like the kid Andy Murray had to bench often, and called it a growing process. Way too many offensive zone penalties. I agree, he may be the one to go, but I hope its not a trade for the sake of a shake up trade. Wonder what kind of package it would take to pry Wayne Simmonds out of Philly.
I expect we would need to involve Shattenkirk. So not worth it.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 12:02 PM
Linus

Perron is one of my favorite players. He's having a rough season defensively and with the constant & unnecessary minor penalties. If a substantial player is traded in the next week, I think the chances are very good that it will be Perron. However, his offense and puck handling is something that I think is very valuable to the Blues. There is no one else on the team that has the puck handling ability that he does (I have no problem acknowledging that he can get too cute and hold onto the puck for way too long at times). If the Blues can get a piece that will improve the team for Perron, I'm all for it, but personally I hope he's still on the team post trade deadline.

I think/hope Hitchcock knows it's more than just a couple of players. There have been defensive breakdowns and bad plays from probably every player this season. I know that Perron is a popular player to call out, but he doesn't lose games by himself. To me, it seems like a team wide thing- maybe there are a few players who it doesn't apply to. Do the Blues have a winning culture within the lockerroom? It seems like last year they did, but they've been so up and down this season. It's true what Strickland said about the Blues' identity: they don't have one. Last year, they were a solid defensive team who could still score 3 goals a game- and when they did, you felt confident that they'd win. I have no idea what their identity is right now.

Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 12:05 PM
BadgersandBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Perron is one of my favorite players. He's having a rough season defensively and with the constant & unnecessary minor penalties. If a substantial player is traded in the next week, I think the chances are very good that it will be Perron. However, his offense and puck handling is something that I think is very valuable to the Blues. There is no one else on the team that has the puck handling ability that he does (I have no problem acknowledging that he can get too cute and hold onto the puck for way too long at times). If the Blues can get a piece that will improve the team for Perron, I'm all for it, but personally I hope he's still on the team post trade deadline.

I think/hope Hitchcock knows it's more than just a couple of players. There have been defensive breakdowns and bad plays from probably every player this season. I know that Perron is a popular player to call out, but he doesn't lose games by himself. To me, it seems like a team wide thing- maybe there are a few players who it doesn't apply to. Do the Blues have a winning culture within the lockerroom? It seems like last year they did, but they've been so up and down this season. It's true what Strickland said about the Blues' identity: they don't have one. Last year, they were a solid defensive team who could still score 3 goals a game- and when they did, you felt confident that they'd win. I have no idea what their identity is right now.
How true is that. Remember that stat about us scoring 3+ goals? Didn't we only lose like one game all year when we scored 3 goals? We clearly prided ourselves on never giving up more then two goals. This then led to the mindset that we could win every game, because two goals isn't all that much. Now it seems like we just accept that we're going to get scored on a lot.

No identity.

BadgersandBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 12:06 PM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Who creates more, Perron or Frank? Who costs more? Who's taking penalties left and right?

I called for a breakout year from Perron...Not the case. The guy (among others) has been flat out detrimental to the team at times.
Preaching to the choir. I didn't have as high expectations as some but I thought he would be less of a detriment when he wasn't scoring.

I agree on the notion that it isn't just Perron (even if he is the biggest offender).

Unless your name is Vladimir Sobotka, you've helped contribute to some of the defensive flaws this year.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:17 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Note View Post
Perron is hands down one of my favorite players of all time but I do think he is stubborn with the puck and waits until his passing lanes close sohe can take a shot, share the wealth bro. Lets pass a bit more and let the points pile up. The last thing i want to do is trade him but gotta start somewhere .
I disagree.

Perron's issue this year (more so than previous) is that he is holding on to the puck too long to try to make the perfect pass.

This was evident a couple of years ago (under Payne) but seems to have re-surfaced again.
Whether this is a function of him trying to do too much, still figuring out linemates, or whatever is of a good question, but I don't think he wants to take the shot.
Never has in previous years at any rate.

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 12:28 PM
ManyIdeas

"who" is puck, "what" is behind opposing goalie.

ManyIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 12:31 PM
SirPaste
Use The Schwartz!

vCash: 349
No captian or assistant captians at practice today.....interesting.

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 12:34 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
No captian or assistant captians at practice today.....interesting.
It was probably optional. Lots of players aren't at practices this season for that reason. We do have a game tomorrow, so it makes sense that players are resting up.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 01:10 PM
Bruv
to here knows when

Quote:

We're currently in the playoff race and only 2 points from the 4th seed and a message needs to be sent?

Yeah. Okay....

Bruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 01:18 PM
SirPaste
Use The Schwartz!

vCash: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
It was probably optional. Lots of players aren't at practices this season for that reason. We do have a game tomorrow, so it makes sense that players are resting up.
Still, after having a closed door meeting with Hitch last night you would think that they would try and set an example after two bad losses, I dont know.

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote