HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NYI at Caps. 7PM. 4.4.2013: Playoffs?!

Old
04-04-2013, 11:39 PM
sunnydaycrash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadrupleDeke View Post
0 regulation wins against current playoff teams.
Ok so they go 16-9-3, Holts is playing like a champ, Ovy and Nicky are back, Green is scoring again, and they just jumped into 3rd and a playoff spot, but no one is happy.......I get being negative when there's a loss, but the amount of whining going on when they win is.....well pathetic.

Last edited by sunnydaycrash: 04-04-2013 at 11:50 PM.
sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:45 PM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsterrain View Post
Yeah either top line would be good. I dont know what to do with mojo. It looks like he just gets nervous with the puck and tries to get rid of it as soon as he can. Horrible puck control by him as well.
Are we talking about the same Marcus Johansson? I didn't see that today. I thought he did a pretty good job with puck possession, took some hits along the boards and kept control of the puck, and made some really good decisions. One play in particular stood out to me where he fell but still kept his composure and held the Islander off the puck.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:49 PM
Liberati0n*

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadrupleDeke View Post
Except they've played more games than NYR and lose the tiebreaker to them even if the games played were even. So no... they're not currently a playoff team.
They have the 8th most points. Because the Southeast is so abysmal, they have more points than one of the playoff teams (I wonder which).

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:52 PM
BrooklynCapsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
In fairness 36 shots through OT, but still...I thought the defensive coverage was decent enough, but the inability to clear the zone when given the opportunity is our a Achilles heel.
That's been the case for the past 7 years now.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:15 AM
MoJoSauce

Two Points!

MoJoSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:21 AM
Capathetic

Im convinced some of you never watch other games the caps are not involved in. Or you have been absolutly spoiled watching Boudreau and the young gun era.

They sat back some tonight...ok. Points are valuable right now and the win is what counts. Get used to tonights game because it seemed like a playoff game in regulation. Hardly any penalties...even the delay of game on Greenie was BS.

Without the power play I expect to see alot more tightly contested games. As we get closer to the playoffs this is how games go down.

Gotta learn to block shots again...a nice mix of Hunter and Oates hockey sounds good to me. Maybe some can make a Hunter and Oates parody of hall and...nevermind.

Just fn win boys!

Capathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:27 AM
calicapsfan
NFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoSauce View Post
This game remind anyone a bit of Hunter Hockey? Take the 1st period lead and just end up playing the rest of the game in your zone
Yes. Hate games like that, but have to be able to win them.

calicapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:29 AM
calicapsfan
NFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
That's been the case for the past 7 years now.
This. Maddening.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:29 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

I thought they did a great job clogging the neutral zone for two periods, but stopped doing it in the 3rd. When you let the other team gain the blue line with ease, of course they're going to pile on the shots and get chances.

I'll take good, systems-oriented hockey over flashy wins any day of the week. The first two periods were fine.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:49 AM
calicapsfan
NFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
They have the 8th most points. Because the Southeast is so abysmal, they have more points than one of the playoff teams (I wonder which).
In all fairness, with a couple of exceptions (basically MTL & BOS now that Pitt lost Sid) the East is abysmal. The Caps are 2 pts back of NYI with a game in hand.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:53 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoSauce View Post
This game remind anyone a bit of Hunter Hockey? Take the 1st period lead and just end up playing the rest of the game in your zone
I called for hunter hockey at the stat of the 3rd. we got 2pts

adjusting to others teams play is a good thing.

Ovechkins Wodka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:57 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

MP jifs are gold btw

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:36 AM
Bananas

I'll take it.

Man, the standings are bunched up.

Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 04:54 AM
Capathetic

The caps need to keep winning so mp85 can get on a hot streak of bench freak outs.

Ive met Matty a few times and trust me on this...he is hilarious, and I wouldnt doubt that he now knows fans watch for his sillyness.

Cool story bros. After a practice a few weeks back I asked him how the ccm rbz stick was and he gave me one of his. Sucks that im not a lefty.

Last edited by Capathetic: 04-05-2013 at 05:22 AM.
Capathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 04:57 AM
EHCler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
Ok so they go 16-9-3, Holts is playing like a champ, Ovy and Nicky are back, Green is scoring again, and they just jumped into 3rd and a playoff spot, but no one is happy.......I get being negative when there's a loss, but the amount of whining going on when they win is.....well pathetic.
Well we are spoiled with great regular season success over the last 5 years. At the start of the season everybody expected Tampa and Carolina (after their off-season additions) are good teams, than we had a horrendous start to the season, in the new Oates system, with our core players not performing.
Well this team still has some blatant wholes in the line up especially on D with unproven / fringe players in the line up. Given our history of faltering in the playoffs we are worried and tired of unexpected playoff mediocrity.

I am pretty sure we will win the Southeast this season. Playoff performance remains to be seen. GMGM has tried to mae the team tougher and been more aggresive on trade market (what most of us always asked for). Yes it hearts to give up a prospect like Forsberg but quality costs quality. This trade has the risk of making him look like the biggest idiot of the league. With our 2 stars in the prime and most of the supporting cast still on affordable contracts the next 3 years are the time-frame to win.

GMGM has to win the trust back of the fans as he just not made the necessary adjustments for years. To be fair there are not many Number 1 D Man around that will move the team forward.

EHCler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 06:10 AM
g00n
Global Moderator
๑۩۞۩๑♩♪♫♬๑۩۞۩๑

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
As was Nabokov.

We could've just as easily had more goals.

Again, you guys are remember the last 5-6 mins of the 3rd period. Did you guys forget the first two period or what? The first especially, that entire period was played on the Isle's side. We had no issues getting out of our zone. You guys want to remember the last few mins of 3rd because thats where the goal was scored against us to tie the game.

Gee, I can't imagine why fans of a team that has had ongoing problems playing 60 minutes would be concerned about a bad 3rd period and not overjoyed by the first 2. Heh.

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:57 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
I'm not ignoring it. I think defensively they were bad late in the 3rd. Thats what stood out to me personally. And still, it wasn't the defense that was solely bad. A couple of times it was the forwards failing to clear the puck when they got pinned in their defensive zone.

In this game particularly, I thought overall they were pretty good defensively. No team is going to go an entire 60 mins w/o having defensive gaffes. Most of ours unfortunately came late in the game when we were up only by one goal.

It wasn't a perfect game, not at all. I really liked what I saw in the first. Physical presence. Great forechecking. Being able to cycle well. They do need to figure out how to create more shots/scoring chances off of it though. Thats one thing they haven't done particularly well.
My thoughts pretty much.

We were way more physical than the Isles and it seemed we spend the majority of the first 50 minutes cycling in their zone.

Give them credit for getting sticks in passing lanes and blocking a ton of shots. When they didn't Nabakov make excellent saves or we wiffed/shot wide.

People forget that there actually is another NHL team playing against their favorite team. The Isles are good. Better than their record shows.

Most of their shots were from Dmen on the point. While they did have some quality scoring chances so did we. At one point they were outshooting us pretty good but we were outchancing them 15-9. It was one of those nights where we weren't sniping and thats why the Isles stayed in the game so long.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:04 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

People seem to be taking the McPhee stance on defense:

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:09 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post

Our D group is as good as its been since 97-98. Why are all you guys suddenly complaining about this???

Where were you guys when I was moaning and groaning about this for years??? YEARS!

Why now? Our D group is miles better than any in the past 15 years!

It's not just you NBTW. Almost every single one of you guys were shredding me to bits and defending the likes of Schultz and Pothier when I was pulling my hair out.

Now all I see is people moaning about the D. You should have been moaning about it years ago and weren't.

Again not directed at you but don't make the Tinner use the search function and go back and dig up old postings!

Old
04-05-2013, 08:10 AM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

vCash: 50
Let's end the charade and get Erat on a scoring line.

I don't give a rats ass how great MJ has looked. I don't care how much the team has improved with Balls Laich back. I am not sure where MJ best fits in our lineup but want to see him get some reps at C now that he has his legs back and a better winger in the mix.

When you get a player of this caliber, he should be used properly. I hope Oates saw him instantly getting pucks to Ovi in OT.

I wanted ERat in the starting lineup. Let the fans see the new guy and get his butterflies out of the way.

ER Nick Ovi
Laich Ribs Troy
Hendricks MJ Ward
Volpatti Beags Fehr

Last edited by RandyHolt: 04-05-2013 at 08:20 AM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:14 AM
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!

Quote:

I missed the posts where people have been saying the defense is great.

Why there is no gray area for people I have no idea. The team played well in the first half of the game. The positive people highlighted that, but I don't see anyone saying the defense had a great 60 minutes. There were negatives too, but the entire game wasn't a terrible clown show in the defensive end.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:15 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Our D group is as good as its been since 97-98. Why are all you guys suddenly complaining about this???

Where were you guys when I was moaning and groaning about this for years??? YEARS!

Why now? Our D group is miles better than any in the past 15 years!

It's not just you NBTW. Almost every single one of you guys were shredding me to bits and defending the likes of Schultz and Pothier when I was pulling my hair out.

Now all I see is people moaning about the D. You should have been moaning about it years ago and weren't.

Again not directed at you but don't make the Tinner use the search function and go back and dig up old postings!
Suddenly? This isn't a sudden thing.

I've been harping on top-4 LD being our biggest weakness all year, even when people were talking about a top line LW being #1. Before that, I've wanted a partner for Green since he emerged.

It's been exacerbated by McPhee's preference for a bloody winger over a defenseman at the deadline, but again, not a new thing.

Our D group isn't miles better than anything in 15 years. The bottom 3 is being massively, massively overrated. We've got three NHL defensemen with top-notch ability. Alzner's been fine. He's played at least reasonably well all season. Carlson's been pretty much crap. Green, while stepping it up lately, still needs to create more with his passing. 6 assists in 24 games just doesn't cut it for a guy with his salary.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:15 AM
BobRouse

RH

I'm sure you will get your wish soon. Erat is good. Real good. More physical than I thought and faster too.

They were easing him in the lineup.

Now I would not move MJ off that line. He has been out of this world and is playing with amazing confidence.

Laich is more versatile and can be slotted in that 3rd line.

Erat will be with Ribs and Brouwer next game I have a feeling.

Old
04-05-2013, 08:20 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Suddenly? This isn't a sudden thing.

I've been harping on top-4 LD being our biggest weakness all year, even when people were talking about a top line LW being #1. Before that, I wanted a partner for Green.

It's been exacerbated by McPhee's preference for a bloody winger over a defenseman at the deadline, but again, not a new thing.

Our D group isn't miles better than anything in 15 years. The bottom 3 is being massively, massively overrated. We've got three NHL defensemen with top-notch ability. Alzner's been fine. He's played at least reasonably well all season. Carlson's been pretty much crap. Green, while stepping it up lately, still needs to create more with his passing. 6 assists in 24 games just doesn't cut it for a guy with his salary.
I'm talking about over the last decade when I was harping about it. Enough banishments got me to give it up.

I couldn't not disagree more. Name one D group over the last 15 years better than this one.

Erskine has been awesome. No doubt he has looked every bit the part of a top 4 this year and our record with him in the lineup is no coincidence.

Oleksy is a fine 3rd pairing D.

Hillen is not so bad. He played a very good in your face game last night. Props to him.

Carlzner is definitely good and will be better when playoffs roll around.

Green's D has improved consistently over the last few years and now it looks like his O is back too.

Kundratek and Orlov are excellent depth and would be starting on many teams right now.

Schultz still sucks tho.

Old
04-05-2013, 08:21 AM
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Let's end the charade and get Erat on a scoring line.

I don't give a rats ass how great MJ has looked. I don't care how much the team has improved with Balls Laich back. I am not sure where MJ best fits in our lineup but want to see him get some reps at C now that he has his legs back and a better winger in the mix.

When you get a player of this caliber, he should be used properly. I hope Oates saw him instantly getting pucks to Ovi in OT.

I want ERat in the starting lineup. Let the fans see the new guy and get his butterflies out of the way.

ER Nick Ovi
Laich Ribs Troy
Hendricks MJ Ward
Volpatti Beags Fehr
Hendricks doesn't deserve 3rd line minutes. I'd rather have Chimera out there flailing about and try to get him some confidence back. I have visions of his double OT game winner dancing in my head. If he isn't healthy, that's a different ball of wax, but I'd like to see him have some positive mojo heading into the playoffs (if they make it).

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote