HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NYI at Caps. 7PM. 4.4.2013: Playoffs?!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-05-2013, 05:10 AM
  #476
g00n
abides
 
g00n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
As was Nabokov.

We could've just as easily had more goals.

Again, you guys are remember the last 5-6 mins of the 3rd period. Did you guys forget the first two period or what? The first especially, that entire period was played on the Isle's side. We had no issues getting out of our zone. You guys want to remember the last few mins of 3rd because thats where the goal was scored against us to tie the game.

Gee, I can't imagine why fans of a team that has had ongoing problems playing 60 minutes would be concerned about a bad 3rd period and not overjoyed by the first 2. Heh.

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 06:57 AM
  #477
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
I'm not ignoring it. I think defensively they were bad late in the 3rd. Thats what stood out to me personally. And still, it wasn't the defense that was solely bad. A couple of times it was the forwards failing to clear the puck when they got pinned in their defensive zone.

In this game particularly, I thought overall they were pretty good defensively. No team is going to go an entire 60 mins w/o having defensive gaffes. Most of ours unfortunately came late in the game when we were up only by one goal.

It wasn't a perfect game, not at all. I really liked what I saw in the first. Physical presence. Great forechecking. Being able to cycle well. They do need to figure out how to create more shots/scoring chances off of it though. Thats one thing they haven't done particularly well.
My thoughts pretty much.

We were way more physical than the Isles and it seemed we spend the majority of the first 50 minutes cycling in their zone.

Give them credit for getting sticks in passing lanes and blocking a ton of shots. When they didn't Nabakov make excellent saves or we wiffed/shot wide.

People forget that there actually is another NHL team playing against their favorite team. The Isles are good. Better than their record shows.

Most of their shots were from Dmen on the point. While they did have some quality scoring chances so did we. At one point they were outshooting us pretty good but we were outchancing them 15-9. It was one of those nights where we weren't sniping and thats why the Isles stayed in the game so long.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:04 AM
  #478
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,770
vCash: 500
People seem to be taking the McPhee stance on defense:


NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:09 AM
  #479
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
People seem to be taking the McPhee stance on defense:

Our D group is as good as its been since 97-98. Why are all you guys suddenly complaining about this???

Where were you guys when I was moaning and groaning about this for years??? YEARS!

Why now? Our D group is miles better than any in the past 15 years!

It's not just you NBTW. Almost every single one of you guys were shredding me to bits and defending the likes of Schultz and Pothier when I was pulling my hair out.

Now all I see is people moaning about the D. You should have been moaning about it years ago and weren't.

Again not directed at you but don't make the Tinner use the search function and go back and dig up old postings!

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:10 AM
  #480
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,378
vCash: 50
Let's end the charade and get Erat on a scoring line.

I don't give a rats ass how great MJ has looked. I don't care how much the team has improved with Balls Laich back. I am not sure where MJ best fits in our lineup but want to see him get some reps at C now that he has his legs back and a better winger in the mix.

When you get a player of this caliber, he should be used properly. I hope Oates saw him instantly getting pucks to Ovi in OT.

I wanted ERat in the starting lineup. Let the fans see the new guy and get his butterflies out of the way.

ER Nick Ovi
Laich Ribs Troy
Hendricks MJ Ward
Volpatti Beags Fehr


Last edited by RandyHolt: 04-05-2013 at 07:20 AM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:14 AM
  #481
Stewie G
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
People seem to be taking the McPhee stance on defense:

I missed the posts where people have been saying the defense is great.

Why there is no gray area for people I have no idea. The team played well in the first half of the game. The positive people highlighted that, but I don't see anyone saying the defense had a great 60 minutes. There were negatives too, but the entire game wasn't a terrible clown show in the defensive end.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:15 AM
  #482
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Our D group is as good as its been since 97-98. Why are all you guys suddenly complaining about this???

Where were you guys when I was moaning and groaning about this for years??? YEARS!

Why now? Our D group is miles better than any in the past 15 years!

It's not just you NBTW. Almost every single one of you guys were shredding me to bits and defending the likes of Schultz and Pothier when I was pulling my hair out.

Now all I see is people moaning about the D. You should have been moaning about it years ago and weren't.

Again not directed at you but don't make the Tinner use the search function and go back and dig up old postings!
Suddenly? This isn't a sudden thing.

I've been harping on top-4 LD being our biggest weakness all year, even when people were talking about a top line LW being #1. Before that, I've wanted a partner for Green since he emerged.

It's been exacerbated by McPhee's preference for a bloody winger over a defenseman at the deadline, but again, not a new thing.

Our D group isn't miles better than anything in 15 years. The bottom 3 is being massively, massively overrated. We've got three NHL defensemen with top-notch ability. Alzner's been fine. He's played at least reasonably well all season. Carlson's been pretty much crap. Green, while stepping it up lately, still needs to create more with his passing. 6 assists in 24 games just doesn't cut it for a guy with his salary.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:15 AM
  #483
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,209
vCash: 500
RH

I'm sure you will get your wish soon. Erat is good. Real good. More physical than I thought and faster too.

They were easing him in the lineup.

Now I would not move MJ off that line. He has been out of this world and is playing with amazing confidence.

Laich is more versatile and can be slotted in that 3rd line.

Erat will be with Ribs and Brouwer next game I have a feeling.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:20 AM
  #484
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Suddenly? This isn't a sudden thing.

I've been harping on top-4 LD being our biggest weakness all year, even when people were talking about a top line LW being #1. Before that, I wanted a partner for Green.

It's been exacerbated by McPhee's preference for a bloody winger over a defenseman at the deadline, but again, not a new thing.

Our D group isn't miles better than anything in 15 years. The bottom 3 is being massively, massively overrated. We've got three NHL defensemen with top-notch ability. Alzner's been fine. He's played at least reasonably well all season. Carlson's been pretty much crap. Green, while stepping it up lately, still needs to create more with his passing. 6 assists in 24 games just doesn't cut it for a guy with his salary.
I'm talking about over the last decade when I was harping about it. Enough banishments got me to give it up.

I couldn't not disagree more. Name one D group over the last 15 years better than this one.

Erskine has been awesome. No doubt he has looked every bit the part of a top 4 this year and our record with him in the lineup is no coincidence.

Oleksy is a fine 3rd pairing D.

Hillen is not so bad. He played a very good in your face game last night. Props to him.

Carlzner is definitely good and will be better when playoffs roll around.

Green's D has improved consistently over the last few years and now it looks like his O is back too.

Kundratek and Orlov are excellent depth and would be starting on many teams right now.

Schultz still sucks tho.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:21 AM
  #485
Stewie G
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Let's end the charade and get Erat on a scoring line.

I don't give a rats ass how great MJ has looked. I don't care how much the team has improved with Balls Laich back. I am not sure where MJ best fits in our lineup but want to see him get some reps at C now that he has his legs back and a better winger in the mix.

When you get a player of this caliber, he should be used properly. I hope Oates saw him instantly getting pucks to Ovi in OT.

I want ERat in the starting lineup. Let the fans see the new guy and get his butterflies out of the way.

ER Nick Ovi
Laich Ribs Troy
Hendricks MJ Ward
Volpatti Beags Fehr
Hendricks doesn't deserve 3rd line minutes. I'd rather have Chimera out there flailing about and try to get him some confidence back. I have visions of his double OT game winner dancing in my head. If he isn't healthy, that's a different ball of wax, but I'd like to see him have some positive mojo heading into the playoffs (if they make it).

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:27 AM
  #486
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Hendricks doesn't deserve 3rd line minutes. I'd rather have Chimera out there flailing about and try to get him some confidence back. I have visions of his double OT game winner dancing in my head. If he isn't healthy, that's a different ball of wax, but I'd like to see him have some positive mojo heading into the playoffs (if they make it).
Well remember Oates. The whole "handedness" thing. Our RW depth:

Ovechkin
Brouwer
Ward
Fehr
Chimera

You'd have to move one of those 1st 4 our to fit #25 in. The way he has played this year I don't think you can do that.

Hendricks is more physical, better defensively and is good on the draw anyhow. Chimmer has had a bad year. His confidence is shot. Barring injury I think he sits for the forseeable future.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:28 AM
  #487
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 40,205
vCash: 500
i was sick last night. real sick. bed ridden and just got to see the box score this morning. they won. they are in a playoff position. i read this page and its whining and complaining. typical.

i see you mj had another assist. he's got like 15 pts in 15 games since returning from injury. i'd be shocked if they changed his game right now. laich is much easier to move around.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:34 AM
  #488
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i was sick last night. real sick. bed ridden and just got to see the box score this morning. they won. they are in a playoff position. i read this page and its whining and complaining. typical.

i see you mj had another assist. he's got like 15 pts in 15 games since returning from injury. i'd be shocked if they changed his game right now. laich is much easier to move around.
Not just the assist. MJ was excellent last night and was flying. He absolutely schooled Visnovsky on one rush and was working the boards very well. That line pretty much stayed in the Isles zone the entire game.

There was one sequence where MJ got doubled teamed along the boards and knocked to the ice. He got right back up and won the puck battle and continued the cycle.

He could have easily had a couple goals were it not for Nabokov's robbery.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:35 AM
  #489
Stewie G
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Well remember Oates. The whole "handedness" thing. Our RW depth:

Ovechkin
Brouwer
Ward
Fehr
Chimera

You'd have to move one of those 1st 4 our to fit #25 in. The way he has played this year I don't think you can do that.

Hendricks is more physical, better defensively and is good on the draw anyhow. Chimmer has had a bad year. His confidence is shot. Barring injury I think he sits for the forseeable future.
I forgot about that when thinking about Chimera. Still, you can keep Hendricks in the lineup and let him do the things he's good at on the 4th line. I just think having Chimera with a little confidence under his belt would add more to a playoff lineup than what anyone else at 3LW could offer.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:39 AM
  #490
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
I'm talking about over the last decade when I was harping about it. Enough banishments got me to give it up.

I couldn't not disagree more. Name one D group over the last 15 years better than this one.

Erskine has been awesome. No doubt he has looked every bit the part of a top 4 this year and our record with him in the lineup is no coincidence.

Oleksy is a fine 3rd pairing D.

Hillen is not so bad. He played a very good in your face game last night. Props to him.

Carlzner is definitely good and will be better when playoffs roll around.

Green's D has improved consistently over the last few years and now it looks like his O is back too.

Kundratek and Orlov are excellent depth and would be starting on many teams right now.

Schultz still sucks tho.
They didn't need a better D during the rebuild, so I wouldn't understand any complaints there. IMO, it really wouldn't have been valid to complain about the D until after the 2007-08 season. Up to that point, they needed to bed the young guys in.

Both the 2008-09 and 2009-10 defenses performed better than this one. I think the 2009-10 group was the better of the two. Good Poti was, all-around, on a level with Alzner this season. Dominant Green was better than this season's Green and Carlson combined. Non-negative Schultz was as good as anything we've had at the 2LD this year since Erskine's hot streak (which has been over for at least a dozen games now). Corvo was as good as this year's Carlson. And there's not much of a difference between the bottom pairing mish-mashes.

On Erskine, he had a good 10-15 games stretch, but has regressed back into his normal form since then. His snarl (which actually isn't applied all that much in the course of normal play) is causing him to be overrated. He's a decent #6, who's not a good match up, at all, for fast teams. He hasn't been 'awesome' for a while now. Should be a 14-15 minute/game defenseman, not 18-19.

Oleksy, as Erksine, should be a 14-15 minute/game guy. He's had some issues with his coverages, and gets overpowered more than his grit would indicate he should. Limiting his ice time would limit these occurrences. I know people like to point to Engellend as a comparable/example of why he can stick. Engelland gets under 14 minutes of ice time per game. That's why he sticks. Same should be applied to Oleksy.

Hillen is so bad. He skates well, but doesn't apply that skating ability into anything positive. No better than Sloan at this point.

Orlov and Kundratek aren't even on the team.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:39 AM
  #491
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
I forgot about that when thinking about Chimera. Still, you can keep Hendricks in the lineup and let him do the things he's good at on the 4th line. I just think having Chimera with a little confidence under his belt would add more to a playoff lineup than what anyone else at 3LW could offer.
Yeah but Oates really does like the handedness thing and he articulated it so well that its hard to argue with.

I like Chimera alot. I think this year is an abberation for him even at his age. He's not out of gas. Just out of confidence.

Our Left wing depth is:

MJ
Erat
Laich
Hendricks

Hendricks won't be playing on the 3rd line unless Perrault faulters and Laich becomes the 3C.



NBTW

We could not disagree more on this one bro. In no way shape or form was that 09-10 D any good compared to this years. None.

Reasons:

1. Green is a better 2 way dman
2. Alzner
3. More experienced Carlson that turns into a beast in the playoffs
4. Erskine has gotten better
5. No Corvo and Schultz

That D was soft as butter.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:41 AM
  #492
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i was sick last night. real sick. bed ridden and just got to see the box score this morning. they won. they are in a playoff position. i read this page and its whining and complaining. typical.

i see you mj had another assist. he's got like 15 pts in 15 games since returning from injury. i'd be shocked if they changed his game right now. laich is much easier to move around.
So if the team pulls out two points on a virtuoso goaltending performance, all is well?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:52 AM
  #493
tycoonheart
Registered User
 
tycoonheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,553
vCash: 500
I think our D is fine. The failures defensively this year have been because of miscommunications. Especially with the forwards, who more often than not forget to cover their guys. I like our D corp.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:58 AM
  #494
tycoonheart
Registered User
 
tycoonheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
So if the team pulls out two points on a virtuoso goaltending performance, all is well?
Give Nabby credit. He was superman too.

Plus Holtby needed a performance like this. This is the first game this year where the goalie might have stolen one for us. He needed this.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:02 AM
  #495
Capsman
Registered User
 
Capsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,110
vCash: 500
I am really, really confused about the Orlov situation right now. One of our biggest weaknesses is clearing the defensive zone, and that is something, IMO, he does very well. Generally makes good decisions with the puck. When everyone else whacks the puck along the boards to a waiting opponent he seems to get things started under control. I have no problem with his physicality; occasionally he may be out of position but that is something he will continue to learn with experience. He is +5 in 5 games, with the team giving up 8 goals in those 5 games (Pittsburgh, NYR, NYI among the teams). Maybe someone has some advanced stats that he was on ice for most of those goals?

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:03 AM
  #496
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.
 
Vladiator16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoSauce View Post
Two Points!



Love it!

...and Holtby did still this one for us, so what? Its not like it hasn't happened to us the other way around. Win is a win. They dont ask how, they ask how many...

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:07 AM
  #497
Stewie G
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Let's end the charade and get Erat on a scoring line.

I don't give a rats ass how great MJ has looked. I don't care how much the team has improved with Balls Laich back. I am not sure where MJ best fits in our lineup but want to see him get some reps at C now that he has his legs back and a better winger in the mix.

When you get a player of this caliber, he should be used properly. I hope Oates saw him instantly getting pucks to Ovi in OT.

I wanted ERat in the starting lineup. Let the fans see the new guy and get his butterflies out of the way.

ER Nick Ovi
Laich Ribs Troy
Hendricks MJ Ward
Volpatti Beags Fehr
Continuing on with my previous thought....

I don't think now is the time to mess with Mojo's lineup spot, either moving him up or down a line or especially back to C. They can give it a long look during the regular season next year if they'd like.

If they're locked in on the handedness issues, I'd like to see it shake out like this.

MJ Nick Ovi
Erat Ribs Brouwer
Laich MP Fehr/Ward
Hendricks Beagle Ward/Fehr

I'd give Fehr a run on the 3rd line and see if he can find some chemistry with MP. MP is much more likely to create openings and find Fehr in them than Beagle. Ward can run the grinding/cycle game on the 4th. He doesn't need a skilled center as much as Fehr.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:09 AM
  #498
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
I am really, really confused about the Orlov situation right now. One of our biggest weaknesses is clearing the defensive zone, and that is something, IMO, he does very well. Generally makes good decisions with the puck. When everyone else whacks the puck along the boards to a waiting opponent he seems to get things started under control. I have no problem with his physicality; occasionally he may be out of position but that is something he will continue to learn with experience. He is +5 in 5 games, with the team giving up 8 goals in those 5 games (Pittsburgh, NYR, NYI among the teams). Maybe someone has some advanced stats that he was on ice for most of those goals?
Its due to depth and his waiver wire eligibility I think. Our LD:

Alzner can't sit.

Erskine has been a beast this year and really add a dimension of nasty we desperately need. Our record with him in the lineup says all that needs to be said.

Then there is Hillen...more experienced than Orlov I guess. Hillen hasn't been bad and played outstanding last night and was in Tavares' face all night and got robbed by Nabakov. The Isles goal was Hendricks trying to do too much to help out Carlson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Continuing on with my previous thought....

I don't think now is the time to mess with Mojo's lineup spot, either moving him up or down a line or especially back to C. They can give it a long look during the regular season next year if they'd like.

If they're locked in on the handedness issues, I'd like to see it shake out like this.

MJ Nick Ovi
Erat Ribs Brouwer
Laich MP Fehr/Ward
Hendricks Beagle Ward/Fehr

I'd give Fehr a run on the 3rd line and see if he can find some chemistry with MP. MP is much more likely to create openings and find Fehr in them than Beagle. Ward can run the grinding/cycle game on the 4th. He doesn't need a skilled center as much as Fehr.
Agree with everything. Really like that set up.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:14 AM
  #499
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Give Nabby credit. He was superman too.

Plus Holtby needed a performance like this. This is the first game this year where the goalie might have stolen one for us. He needed this.
You keep saying this. What does Nabby have to do with our defense? We were out-shot by 14.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:15 AM
  #500
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
I think our D is fine. The failures defensively this year have been because of miscommunications. Especially with the forwards, who more often than not forget to cover their guys. I like our D corp.
And there you go, Stewie G.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.