HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Minnesota Wild @ LA Kings GDT 4/4/13

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-05-2013, 12:09 PM
  #876
frozenriverrat77
Do Vu's New Voodoo
 
frozenriverrat77's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
So you're saying the playoff order is determined at the start of the year and it's just statistical deviation up to that point?

Yes of course...the question is what is the deviation...and how accurate r ur initial assumptions

Btw don't confuse this stats description with the stats u read on NHL.com or wherever....a characteristic like "will" plays a huge role as does "luck"...that doesn't necessarily show up in the NHL stats

Generally, including all factors...including "will" and "luck" there is some mean point...and there are normal deviations from that point

frozenriverrat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:12 PM
  #877
Casper
30 goal grinder
 
Casper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Posts: 1,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
This team is a wreck and it needs more than just a few days rest.
Dont underestimate what a few days rest and a real practice can do. Get our first D pairing some rest, let Pommer gel with Parise and Mikko a little more, and get back to work.

Dont forget Backstrom always goes into beast mode when he gets pulled.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:15 PM
  #878
Casper
30 goal grinder
 
Casper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Posts: 1,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenriverrat77 View Post
Yes of course...the question is what is the deviation...and how accurate r ur initial assumptions

Btw don't confuse this stats description with the stats u read on NHL.com or wherever....a characteristic like "will" plays a huge role as does "luck"...that doesn't necessarily show up in the NHL stats

Generally, including all factors...including "will" and "luck" there is some mean point...and there are normal deviations from that point
teams aren't a static variable.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:17 PM
  #879
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,015
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
teams aren't a static variable.
Clearly if you lose two top players during a season, it was preordained

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:19 PM
  #880
frozenriverrat77
Do Vu's New Voodoo
 
frozenriverrat77's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
teams aren't a static variable.
Umm? Sure they r...there is this whole academic field of sports statistics

frozenriverrat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:23 PM
  #881
frozenriverrat77
Do Vu's New Voodoo
 
frozenriverrat77's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Clearly if you lose two top players during a season, it was preordained
Of course u could code for the likelihood of the vu having an injury...and get the probability of that and factor it into a determination of whether they make the playoff or not...stats has nothing to do with ordained or not

frozenriverrat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:36 PM
  #882
Dudicles
Registered User
 
Dudicles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Can't really express emotion through text so you have to exaggerate. I'm about as laid back as anyone you'd meet.
Gotta be honest, Jarick. I did not have you in mind when I typed that question. You've seemed pretty level headed and calm no matter what you've been typing about.

Dudicles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:38 PM
  #883
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 13,574
vCash: 500
Someone quick, give me the Top 3 reasons why Stoner shouldn't be scratched after terrible performances in the last 4 games.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:45 PM
  #884
OpRedDawn*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,129
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Someone quick, give me the Top 3 reasons why Stoner shouldn't be scratched after terrible performances in the last 4 games.
Mike Yeo is the coach
The coach is Mike Yeo
Mike Yeo is the coach and the coach is Mike Yeo


OpRedDawn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:47 PM
  #885
THEALLKNOWING*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tripoli, Lebanon
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Someone quick, give me the Top 3 reasons why Stoner shouldn't be scratched after terrible performances in the last 4 games.
1) because someone bigger than Spurgeon, has to play with Spurgeon
2) because a d-man has to eat minutes during a game or else Suter would be playing 65 minutes (regular game plus overtime)
3) because people have to focus on how poorly Stoner has done so they don't have to focus how bad Sprugeon is at even strength and on PK.

THEALLKNOWING* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:04 PM
  #886
Karl
Registered User
 
Karl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The State of Hockey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,220
vCash: 500
So how is the mood here? Optimistic, Comfortably numb, Nervous, or in full panic mode?

Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:17 PM
  #887
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner
 
Blizzard6411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 1,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
So how is the mood here? Optimistic, Comfortably numb, Nervous, or in full panic mode?
Speaking for my self i would say comfortably numb but optimistic. We have played some real downers the past 3 games but i don't think this team is nearly as bad as they played in those games and will get out of that funk.

Blizzard6411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:30 PM
  #888
Karl
Registered User
 
Karl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The State of Hockey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,220
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard6411 View Post
Speaking for my self i would say comfortably numb but optimistic. We have played some real downers the past 3 games but i don't think this team is nearly as bad as they played in those games and will get out of that funk.
Pretty much where I am as well. Disappointed lately, but the Wild are still in a playoff spot and have just got a very good player in Pominville. They will turn it around soon, and we will get Cullen back in a couple of games or so and Heater hopefully back before the end of the season. A few days of and a practice or two will do this team good. No need to panic.

Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:17 PM
  #889
Piffles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard6411 View Post
Speaking for my self i would say comfortably numb but optimistic. We have played some real downers the past 3 games but i don't think this team is nearly as bad as they played in those games and will get out of that funk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Pretty much where I am as well. Disappointed lately, but the Wild are still in a playoff spot and have just got a very good player in Pominville. They will turn it around soon, and we will get Cullen back in a couple of games or so and Heater hopefully back before the end of the season. A few days of and a practice or two will do this team good. No need to panic.
I'm slightly more optimistic than these two. Overall, though, I think we'll be fine.

Piffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:41 PM
  #890
Nino Noderreiter
Registered User
 
Nino Noderreiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Twin Cities
Country: United States
Posts: 2,829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard6411 View Post
Speaking for my self i would say comfortably numb but optimistic. We have played some real downers the past 3 games but i don't think this team is nearly as bad as they played in those games and will get out of that funk.
This is me.

Nino Noderreiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 06:24 PM
  #891
J22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,563
vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Someone quick, give me the Top 3 reasons why Stoner shouldn't be scratched after terrible performances in the last 4 games.
1. Putting Nate Prosser in the lineup breaks up the top pairing and nobody wants to see that.

2. Brett Clark really isnt an upgrade over Stoner

3. For the Wild to be a good team they need Stoner to regain his level of play from earlier in the year.

J22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 06:39 PM
  #892
Avder
Global Moderator
Reliable NonSequitur
 
Avder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Location: Location.
Country: United States
Posts: 36,385
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
So how is the mood here? Optimistic, Comfortably numb, Nervous, or in full panic mode?
I'm in full panic mode. Have been for a few games now.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 06:39 PM
  #893
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect
 
MuckOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: In a tree stand.
Country: United States
Posts: 7,177
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
1. Putting Nate Prosser in the lineup breaks up the top pairing and nobody wants to see that.

2. Brett Clark really isnt an upgrade over Stoner

3. For the Wild to be a good team they need Stoner to regain his level of play from earlier in the year.
I disagree w/ #2

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 06:40 PM
  #894
Kaptain
WarBortles
 
Kaptain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 4,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
So how is the mood here? Optimistic, Comfortably numb, Nervous, or in full panic mode?
I've been in full panic mode since the Nashville loss.

Kaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:20 PM
  #895
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 16,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
I was probably more disappointed in Brodziak than any other player last night....what the hell is up with him? He looked extremely lazy on some shifts. If it weren't for our lack of center depth at the moment, I would suggest that he should be a candidate for compliancy buyout along with Heatley if he keeps it up.
Equally disappointed in both Brodziak and Bouchard.... but Bouchard is the only one we can really bench because of Cullen's injury.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:22 PM
  #896
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 16,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Dont underestimate what a few days rest and a real practice can do. Get our first D pairing some rest, let Pommer gel with Parise and Mikko a little more, and get back to work.

Dont forget Backstrom always goes into beast mode when he gets pulled.
I wouldn't "COUNT" on it happening though... streaks come to an end all the time.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:57 PM
  #897
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 13,574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
1. Putting Nate Prosser in the lineup breaks up the top pairing and nobody wants to see that.

2. Brett Clark really isnt an upgrade over Stoner

3. For the Wild to be a good team they need Stoner to regain his level of play from earlier in the year.
1. We have a better record when Prosser is playing. Think Russo said we have only lost 4 games when he's on D. And why would it break up the top line? It hasn't before unless Yeo has gotten desperate and split them in hopes of bringing the level of D up a notch....which it never does.

2. Totally disagree with that. Put Gilbert/Falk and Spurgeon/Clark and I think we upgraded hand over fist than when Stoner is out there.

3. He was terrible at the start of the year. At least Falk has shown some more sense on the ice. I watch the D with a critical eyes over any other position because like many, I knew it would be our weak spot. Stoner has been the worst one we've had out there this year.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:22 PM
  #898
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 16,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
1. We have a better record when Prosser is playing. Think Russo said we have only lost 4 games when he's on D. And why would it break up the top line? It hasn't before unless Yeo has gotten desperate and split them in hopes of bringing the level of D up a notch....which it never does.

2. Totally disagree with that. Put Gilbert/Falk and Spurgeon/Clark and I think we upgraded hand over fist than when Stoner is out there.

3. He was terrible at the start of the year. At least Falk has shown some more sense on the ice. I watch the D with a critical eyes over any other position because like many, I knew it would be our weak spot. Stoner has been the worst one we've had out there this year.
Prosser has only played 15 games, and the last few were at forward, so that's not a good thing... Also it does break up the top pair as Yeo has already said after experimenting etc, none of the right shot defensemen on the roster feel comfortable playing the left side. That's why we picked up Brett Clark if you remember. You couldn't scratch Falk and put in Prosser without splitting the top pair.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:50 PM
  #899
Lapa
Global Moderator
Road Ice Advantage
 
Lapa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 7,333
vCash: 1068
Honestly, I'm ready to bring Prosser/Falk and scratch Stoner.

Lapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:01 PM
  #900
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist
 
Billy Mays Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 14,412
vCash: 827
I'm amazed at how bad Yeo's decision making is when it comes to which goalie gets the start. I, a random poster on a hockey chat website, make better decisions than him in that area.

1. Backstrom is almost always bad when starting a 2nd night in a row
2. Backstrom is bad in the following buildings:

Chicago
Dallas
Detroit
Los Angeles
Vancouver (with our win there this season being the exception)

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.