Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets 2013 Draft Talk - Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2013, 01:22 PM
Gil Fisher

vCash: 500
If Chevy is seeing a lot of the OHL games because of Scheifele, then I think it really increases the chances of seeing Domi/Horvat/Zadorov being the pick at 13.

Old
05-11-2013, 01:45 PM
jetsfan101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Fisher View Post
If Chevy is seeing a lot of the OHL games because of Scheifele, then I think it really increases the chances of seeing Domi/Horvat/Zadorov being the pick at 13.
Doubting Horvat. He's been on the ice for 13 of Barrie's 21 goals so far this series. For a guy that doesn't kill penaties, that's pathetic. Domi seems to be having a much better series in his own zone, only on the ice for 5 goals against.

I get that Horvat is having the better offensive series, but damn...that's a lot of goals against.

Old
05-11-2013, 02:05 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
I see a bit of Marchand in Domi's game, - some of Marchands negative traits, + potentially better offense and better hands. Smaller players, both strong on their skates with good puck skills, and tenacious and competitive. Domi's built like a tank too - shorter, but already almost 200lbs.

Some view his diabetes and celiac as huge warning signs, but others have played while having similar issues. It could definitely be a negative over his career, but on the other hand, it will force him to be 100% on top of his physical conditioning and diet.

There are a number of players that will fall to the 13th position that I'd be happy to see as a Jet - Domi's one of them. Been impressed with the way he plays the game in the OHL games I've seen him in this year.

Old
05-11-2013, 02:10 PM
Gil Fisher

If Max is as sturdy as his father was, I can't see size as an issue. My biggest concern for drafting him would then be whether he's a centre or wing.

Old
05-11-2013, 02:21 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
That's my hope PS. Don't know the odds, but would love for someone in Holden's 2/3 list to still be there at 13.
Well, there are definitely potential sliders in the 2/3 list.

Nichushkin - concerns over his KHL contract and passport, generally.

Lindholm - concerns over his goal scoring, size and offensive ceiling.

Monahan - concerns over his skating, and offensive upside.

There maybe teams that like Gauthier over Monahan, or a 6'4+ dman over any forward prospect.

Generally speaking teams like size, skill and compete levels - with physical play. They also like natural GOAL scorers as they are not readily available. This draft seems to have a few big physical dmen that can skate and shoot. Also has skilled scorers at the top, then guys like Shinkaruk, Domi, Mantha and Lazar sprinkled in that have put up good goal scoring numbers.

That 'something for everyone selection' likely has led to it being a deep draft, though in future years, we may find there are lots of NHL'ers but fewer true impact guys.

With that in mind, there is a chance RR, Nurse, Zadorov, Morin, Pulock, Shinkaruk, Lazar or Domi could all go before our pick. Only the top 4, seem to be slotted in those spots in some order.

Last edited by Bob E: 05-11-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old
05-11-2013, 02:24 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Bob E (and others): I agree that there could be some very interesting picks available at 13th - such a diverse group of players in the 1st round, with such diverse needs for the teams selecting before the Jets, that there could be some real surprises available when the Jets make their pick.

Old
05-11-2013, 03:25 PM
ps241
Get on board Sip :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Well, there are definitely potential sliders in the 2/3 list.

Nichushkin - concerns over his KHL contract and passport, generally.

Lindholm - concerns over his goal scoring, size and offensive ceiling.

Monahan - concerns over his skating, and offensive upside.

There maybe teams that like Gauthier over Monahan, or a 6'4+ damn over any forward prospect.

Generally speaking teams like size, skill and compete levels - with physical play. They also like natural GOAL scorers as they are not readily available. This draft seems to have a few big physical dmen that can skate and shoot. Also has skilled scorers at the top, then guys like Shinkaruk, Domi, Mantha and Lazar sprinkled in that have put up good goal scoring numbers.

That 'something for everyone selection' likely has led to it being a deep draft, though in future years, we may find there are lots of NHL'ers but fewer true impact guys.

With that in mind, there is a chance RR, Nurse, Zadorov, Morin, Pulock, Shinkaruk, Lazar or Domi could all go before our pick. Only the top 4, seem to be slotted in those spots in some order.
One of the other red flags on Nichushkin is that he apparently had a suboptimal under 18 championship although I don't know the details.

Old
05-11-2013, 03:50 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
One of the other red flags on Nichushkin is that he apparently had a suboptimal under 18 championship although I don't know the details.
Obviously don't know for sure, but burnout could be the case.

Old
05-11-2013, 04:21 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan101 View Post
Doubting Horvat. He's been on the ice for 13 of Barrie's 21 goals so far this series. For a guy that doesn't kill penaties, that's pathetic. Domi seems to be having a much better series in his own zone, only on the ice for 5 goals against.

I get that Horvat is having the better offensive series, but damn...that's a lot of goals against.
Part of that is that he is a 18 year old being matched up against the best 20 year old in the league.

He has done pretty well in the home games where London has had last change and even if all the goals were on him (the weren't) I don't think one series will challenge previous scouting in a big way.

I would personally go with Domi first if he is there. The offensive upside is worth the gamble IMO, but the other two Knight could / should be in the mix.

Old
05-11-2013, 09:12 PM
Bob E

Horvat is having a nice playoff, and if he has a good mem cup (should they make it) he might see his stock in draft rise. A strong mem cup for Domi, Horvat and Zadorov could all see their stock rise.

Old
05-11-2013, 09:14 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

I want $$$ picks this year

MONEY!

$_$

Old
05-12-2013, 05:00 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Bob E (and others): I agree that there could be some very interesting picks available at 13th - such a diverse group of players in the 1st round, with such diverse needs for the teams selecting before the Jets, that there could be some real surprises available when the Jets make their pick.
You are correct, and Feaster is so dumb that he may pick a goalie with his first pick. I think the Jets may get the same guy at #13 that they have ranked #7 or 8 on their own rankings but that other teams pass up on, kind of how they had Trouba ranked #3 last year and got him later. Can't wait for the draft!

Old
05-13-2013, 12:00 AM
jetsfan101

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
You are correct, and Feaster is so dumb that he may pick a goalie with his first pick. I think the Jets may get the same guy at #13 that they have ranked #7 or 8 on their own rankings but that other teams pass up on, kind of how they had Trouba ranked #3 last year and got him later. Can't wait for the draft!
You could be right, because there's a chance that the front office doesn't even put Euros on their board.

Old
05-13-2013, 12:04 AM
maximus tacitus
Mathmew Purrrr Oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan101 View Post
You could be right, because there's a chance that the front office doesn't even put Euros on their board.
someone mentioned a jets scout who indicated they were interested in moving up to get RR or Zadorov

Old
05-13-2013, 02:05 AM
jiho

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus tacitus View Post
someone mentioned a jets scout who indicated they were interested in moving up to get RR or Zadorov
I would select a forward but I sense the Jets will select a defenseman. I see Ristolainen going to Dallas. The Flyers also take a dman (either Zadorov, Nurse or Pulok). If they select Zadorov, the Jets will then select Mirco Mueller.

Old
05-13-2013, 10:32 AM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiho View Post
I would select a forward but I sense the Jets will select a defenseman. I see Ristolainen going to Dallas. The Flyers also take a dman (either Zadorov, Nurse or Pulok). If they select Zadorov, the Jets will then select Mirco Mueller.
We'll see. Really depends on who is there when the Jets pick, obviously. But if a forward they thought would be gone is still there, and is their BPA, I'm sure they'll grab him.

RR would be a great pick, though highly unlikely at #13. Can't wait for the draft either. Always surprises.

Old
05-13-2013, 10:50 AM
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

When do you think JC Lipon is going to go in the draft....He been passed over twice but as a 19 yr old this year he scored at a 1.5 ppg in Kamllops (89PTS) and made the WJ Canada squad........He might be an interesting pick for one of our late 2nd's or early 3rd if he is still available............ as he turns 20 this summer, we can sign him and send him straight to SJ boost our AHL depth and have a project player for the jets in the future...........Thoughts???

Old
05-13-2013, 11:51 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 View Post
When do you think JC Lipon is going to go in the draft....He been passed over twice but as a 19 yr old this year he scored at a 1.5 ppg in Kamllops (89PTS) and made the WJ Canada squad........He might be an interesting pick for one of our late 2nd's or early 3rd if he is still available............ as he turns 20 this summer, we can sign him and send him straight to SJ boost our AHL depth and have a project player for the jets in the future...........Thoughts???
Yeah, anywhere above the 5th round is waaay too early for Lipon. He is a small scoring winger, not much value, and his junior game does not figure to translate to pros all that well. I'd be furious if we wasted a 2nd/3rd round pick on him.

His type are readily available all over the CHL, plenty to be had. I'd take Sven Andrighetto over him, and I am not entirely sure Andrighetto is going to get drafted.

Old
05-13-2013, 12:25 PM
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2013/

This mock draft has him rated at 93 rd over all at the start of the 4th and I thought he played well at WJC.... I have not watched his play in the WHL ..... and I do agree slightly undersized at 6 ft 180 lbs for a frwd turning 20 yrs old

Old
05-13-2013, 02:21 PM
JetsHomer

Lipon also benefitted from playing with Colin Smith and Tim Bozon. Both are great junior players, and better prospects than Lipon in my mind.

Old
05-15-2013, 11:17 AM
Rheged
JMFT

ISS top 30 for May is out at http://www.isshockey.com/.

Notables in my mind are Horvat at 10, Santini at 17, and Domi at 25.

Interesting to see Heatherington in the top-30 as well, been lotsa talk about him around here, maybe not so likely to be available in the 2nd any more.

Old
05-15-2013, 11:37 AM
tbcwpg

Lots of mocks, both here and through sites like the one dean posted, have us taking Domi when guys like Horvat are on the board. If we're taking a C at 13 I'd rather have Horvat over Domi if both are available.

Old
05-15-2013, 12:03 PM
mondo3

Chevy likes big...no way he takes Domi

Old
05-15-2013, 01:12 PM
Gil Fisher

If the top 12 goes like that, I'd prefer to trade back for two late first rounders and pick up two of Domi/Compher/Mantha/Heatherington.

Does Calgary have two picks back there? Anybody else?

Old
05-15-2013, 01:22 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Fisher View Post
If the top 12 goes like that, I'd prefer to trade back for two late first rounders and pick up two of Domi/Compher/Mantha/Heatherington.

Does Calgary have two picks back there? Anybody else?
Calgary has Pittsburgh and St.Louis' picks. Columbus has LA and the Rangers picks.

Closed Thread