Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2013, 11:12 AM
Mathmew Purrrr Oh
#meowmeowmeowmeow

vCash: 50
Quote:
Josh Tapper @joshtapper 6 мин

#Nichushkin tells @rsportru he's leaving Russia next season. Claims Dynamo is tearing up his contract. Uh?
http://rsport.ru/hockey/20130522/663576629.html

doubt if he was falling to 13 but this pretty much guarantees he won't

Old
05-22-2013, 11:44 AM
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit

vCash: 5239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Ive heard this too but it's incorrect. Montreal traded one of theirs in one of the last few drafts.
Hmmm, maybe I'm just mixing it up with the NFL rules, which I know for certain they can't trade comp picks.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:58 AM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Talking about trading picks...
Quote:
2007: Sharks trade pick #13 and pick #44 for pick #9
2008: Kings trade pick #17 and pick #28 for pick #12
It is possible that the Jets will trade up, but it is also possible that - depending on what the Jets draft board looks like and who is on the board at 13 - that the Jets could trade down. Calgary and Columbus will both have a pair of late round picks. Perhaps one of them is looking to move up and make a splash.

Swapping #13 for two picks in the 20s could make sense for both teams.

Landing two of a faller and / or somebody like Harman, Rychel, Zykov, Compher, De La Rose.

Who knows. Perhaps somebody like Erne, Domi, Mantha, Gautier could even fall that far. Most of the rankings are a complete jumble. #13 on one list is a 2nd rounder on another. This could be a great draft to trade down and still land the guy you wanted.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:04 PM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 777
If Monahan is off the board at 7 for the Oilers. I can see them looking to move down for some assets to take Lazar. Maybe the Jets like one of the D men left on the board enough to move up. I don't know though I got to think they might like to keep their assets and grab whoever is BPA at 13.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:05 PM
Gil Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post

It is possible that the Jets will trade up, but it is also possible that - depending on what the Jets draft board looks like and who is on the board at 13 - that the Jets could trade down. Calgary and Columbus will both have a pair of late round picks. Perhaps one of them is looking to move up and make a splash.

Landing two of a faller and / or somebody like Harman, Rychel, Zykov, Compher, De La Rose.

Who knows. Perhaps somebody like Erne, Domi, Mantha, Gautier could even fall that far. Most of the rankings are a complete jumble. #13 on one list is a 2nd rounder on another. This could be a great draft to trade down and still land the guy you wanted.
Coming away with two of those guys would be amazing. Only thing better would be getting one of the top 5 or 6 (Lindholm being the "or 6")

Old
05-22-2013, 01:02 PM
Bob E

Quote:

I like what your suggesting, truck. Moving #13 for two later 1st rd picks might land 2 very solid prospects, especially if the guy they really like is pegged to go a bit later.

Maybe a Buff/Burmi deal could also yield another 1st (possibly top 10).

I hope Chevy is aggressive at the draft and has willing trade partners.

Old
05-22-2013, 07:58 PM
drumzan
#NHLJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Hmmm, maybe I'm just mixing it up with the NFL rules, which I know for certain they can't trade comp picks.
Was wondering the same thing about NHL. NFL you definitely can't trade comp picks, I'm 100% certain on that. But sounds like it's fair game in NHL.

Old
05-22-2013, 08:15 PM
allan5oh
Adv stats blowhard

Saw that Domi - Horvat pass and goal on coaches corner, and it looks even more amazing in HD. The last angle is just disgusting, I played it over and over again in slow motion. Both me and the GF agreed, we didn't know what was more amazing, the pass or the shot.

Old
05-22-2013, 09:09 PM
Mathmew Purrrr Oh
#meowmeowmeowmeow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
I like what your suggesting, truck. Moving #13 for two later 1st rd picks might land 2 very solid prospects, especially if the guy they really like is pegged to go a bit later.

do not want picks for burmi/buff - warm bodies only

we have a core in place and need to improve now to get any real traction out of them

Old
05-22-2013, 09:28 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:

Ew...
No value to buy 5-10 is way to much relative to what you normally get in return average...
Ya it's deeper season but no guarantees in life but death and taxes... and taxes...

Old
05-22-2013, 09:32 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus tacitus View Post
do not want picks for burmi/buff - warm bodies only

we have a core in place and need to improve now to get any real traction out of them
A pick would be in addition to player(s) in a deal. Perhaps that wasn't clear.

Old
05-22-2013, 09:40 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
A pick would be in addition to player(s) in a deal. Perhaps that wasn't clear.
That makes more sense (at least to me)

Old
05-22-2013, 09:44 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Ew...
No value to buy 5-10 is way to much relative to what you normally get in return average...
Ya it's deeper season but no guarantees in life but death and taxes... and taxes...
So you're saying a Buff/Burmi deal, where one piece in the deal is a top 10 pick that might yield a prospect like RR or Monahan, wouldn't be something the Jets should consider?

Any of this discussion is completely dependant on who the Jets like and where they might go on draft day. It's also dependant on a willing trade partner who is willing to do a deal that works for both sides.

You never know. You might select a future HoF'er at 10. I can think of one off hand.

Old
05-22-2013, 09:50 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
So you're saying a Buff/Burmi deal, where one piece in the deal is a top 10 pick that might yield a prospect like RR or Monahan, wouldn't be something the Jets should consider?

Any of this discussion is completely dependant on who the Jets like and where they might go on draft day. It's also dependant on a willing trade partner who is willing to do a deal that works for both sides.

You never know. You might select a future HoF'er at 10. I can think of one off hand.
You might or you might get a bust.
In fact you have a 68% chance that the player is not a top 6 (more than 0.5 pts/gp) forward or top 4 D (more than 18 min/gp D).
Those 68% players are all players who were highly touted in their day too.

These are real risks and often ignored here.

Old
05-22-2013, 10:00 PM
Bob E

Quote:
You might or you might get a bust.
In fact you have a 68% chance that the player is not a top 6 (more than 0.5 pts/gp) forward or top 4 D (more than 18 min/gp D).
Those 68% players are all players who were highly touted in their day too.

These are real risks and often ignored here.
I guess you rely on the judgement of your scouts, and if there is a guy you really like, then a deal might make sense.

Old
05-22-2013, 10:32 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
I guess you rely on the judgement of your scouts, and if there is a guy you really like, then a deal might make sense.
Mhmm... and how much of a gambler you are.

68% of the time in that region, scouts are wrong.
Not saying they will be the same for each team, as it's no just a guessing game, more of an educated guessing game.
Just saying those are really large risks which IMO shows draft picks have way overinflated value.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:28 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Mhmm... and how much of a gambler you are.

68% of the time in that region, scouts are wrong.
Not saying they will be the same for each team, as it's no just a guessing game, more of an educated guessing game.
Just saying those are really large risks which IMO shows draft picks have way overinflated value.
I hear you.

Not something that guarantees success at all, but depending on who they think is there, Chevy would be trusting his gut and hockey experience. If he didn't think the opportunity was there that the pick was of substantial value, and the player worth it, he wouldn't make the deal.

I'm not a fan of making a deal without knowing who might be available when the pick is made. For instance, the Pens wanted Pouliot last year and included the pick in the Staal deal when he was still there. If someone had grabbed him, maybe that pick isn't included. After that, you trust your scouts they made a good pick. I like the next pick.

Edit: Chevy hasn't shown a gambling side at all, so making a deal to get an inflated top 10 pick isn't something we'll likely see.

Last edited by Bob E: 05-22-2013 at 11:39 PM.
Old
05-24-2013, 10:20 PM
ps241
It's closing time.

Just finished watching London Portland and have to say I was REALLY impressed with Zadorov tonight. I was not getting much of a vibe from him up to this point in the tourney but tonight I saw his "A game" . He had about three very big hits in the last two periods and all of them were really controlled where he didn't take himself out of position, really sound decision making on when to apply force. Also his skating and puck moving were on full display especially as London opened it up while they pressed for the equalizer late. He had a few nice stretch passes, very heads up when the puck was on his stick, excellant mobility with and without the puck. He showed off some skills that I had yet to see to this point and I can now say if he falls to us and we pick him I would be pretty happy and I don't think I would have said that yesterday.

Old
05-24-2013, 11:45 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Just finished watching London Portland and have to say I was REALLY impressed with Zadorov tonight. I was not getting much of a vibe from him up to this point in the tourney but tonight I saw his "A game" . He had about three very big hits in the last two periods and all of them were really controlled where he didn't take himself out of position, really sound decision making on when to apply force. Also his skating and puck moving were on full display especially as London opened it up while they pressed for the equalizer late. He had a few nice stretch passes, very heads up when the puck was on his stick, excellant mobility with and without the puck. He showed off some skills that I had yet to see to this point and I can now say if he falls to us and we pick him I would be pretty happy and I don't think I would have said that yesterday.
I agree, ps.

When he rubs a guy along the boards that's it for the opposing player. Stopped dead in his tracks. Jr guys can't battle thru that check, they're HALTED.

Old
05-25-2013, 12:11 AM
truck
HFB Partner

I really like Zadorov too. He looks like a gooder, but I wonder what taking another D man will do to the Jets prospect pool.

The quality of Jets forward prospect is really low. They need to hit on some twos and threes if they go defense first.

Last edited by truck: 05-25-2013 at 12:38 AM.
Old
05-25-2013, 07:16 AM
ps241
It's closing time.

Quote:
I really like Zadorov too. He looks like a gooder, but I wonder what taking another D man will do to the Jets prospect pool.

The quality of Jets forward prospect is really low. They need to hit on some twos and threes if they go defense first.
I agree we are shallow in the prospect pool for quality forwards. I am not saying draft Nik as much as I am saying if he is BPA on our list and available at 13 I am ok with it now. trust me I am praying this is the year a quality forward falls into our lap and is BPA on our list. Zero pressure on Chevy and co but we really need to make this draft count.

I don't know about you but I hate being even marginally dependent on the UFA market....watching the cost to production ratio of most of the guys that get moved in the spring makes me ill. the only thing I want to do in the UFA market "if it's there" is add a quality back up that can push Pavs......maybe some third line asset for a normal price but on balance I am so waiting for the day when we do nothing that week. There was a thread on the main board about how teams would improve this off season and last count about 7 teams had signed Nathan Horton and Rob Scuderi to great deals. . And I forgot to mention only about 9 teams needs have been posted so far

Old
05-26-2013, 08:45 PM
ps241
It's closing time.

Ok just watching the memorial cup final and I know it's a small sample size but Jones has been just brutal in the 1st period serving up Pizza's to everyone and MacKinnon and the Mooseheads have been beasts. Drouin Frk Mackinnon had a really nice play on their 3rd goal.

Edit: I noticed the Hawks have closed the gap. Jones looked much better in the 2nd period....he calmed down

Last edited by ps241: 05-26-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old
05-26-2013, 09:15 PM
rguy56

Wow. What would it take to pry that #2 pick from Florida? MacKinnon is a real gem.

It takes a while for defensemen to mature, but you have to think that it'll be tough to pass over MacKinnon with that first pick.

Last edited by rguy56: 05-26-2013 at 09:21 PM. Reason: clarity
Old
05-26-2013, 09:31 PM
ps241
It's closing time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rguy56 View Post
Wow. What would it take to pry that #2 pick from Florida? MacKinnon is a real gem.

It takes a while for defensemen to mature, but you have to think that it'll be tough to pass over MacKinnon with that first pick.
Even Florida isn't stupid enough to give up that pick. The question is does Colorado really pass up Mackinnon? I know Jones is rated #1 on allot of lists but MacKinnon is at a different level than guys I have seen over the last few years in the draft (RNH or Nail) IMHO.....5 points tonight and a hat trick.

Last edited by ps241: 05-26-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old
05-26-2013, 10:21 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Even Florida isn't stupid enough to give up that pick. The question is does Colorado really pass up Mackinnon? I know Jones is rated #1 on allot of lists but MacKinnon is at a different level than guys I have seen over the last few years in the draft (RNH or Nail) IMHO.....5 points tonight and a hat trick.
MacKinnon is crazy good.

Wouldn't surprise me if he's taken 1st. Florida really needs a center. Do they take Jones or Barkov #2 if MacKinnon is #1?

Closed Thread