Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets 2013 Draft Talk - Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
05-26-2013, 10:39 PM
JetsHomer

vCash: 500
I'm sold on Mackinnon #1 and have been for awhile. He has no weaknesses in his game. He's going to be a 80+ point center in the NHL.

Old
05-26-2013, 10:50 PM
lanky

All along he's been my #1. But what would Colorado do with him?

Duchene
O'Reilly
Stastny
MacKinnon

Old
05-26-2013, 11:06 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
MacKinnon is crazy good.

Wouldn't surprise me if he's taken 1st. Florida really needs a center. Do they take Jones or Barkov #2 if MacKinnon is #1?
Colorado is really in a great position, since it seems that the top two have separated themselves from the rest (including Drouin). If the Avs like Seth Jones at #1, they can start making noises about focusing on MacKinnon, and forcing Florida to give up assets to move up to #1 to get him, and still get Jones.

Old
05-26-2013, 11:13 PM
GoldenJet89

Colorado just seems to perfect of a fit for jones... being a local boy.. and plays their biggest position of need.

maybe colorado could cast some doubt to the panthers about who they take, and try to pry an extra pick/player out of florida to swap the #1 and #2...(no way florida doesnt take mack at #1, heck even if they did "steal" jones, avs can "cry" about being left with mackinnon)

edit** whileee beat me to it on making a deal with florida... makes perfect sense though in this situation... you really cant lose either way.. may as well TRY and get an assett out of florida. and likely still get your guy anyways

Old
05-27-2013, 07:09 AM
Channelcat

vCash: 1417
I think if you look at the history of the NHL draft you will generally see a better rate of return drafting forwards, particularly centers. High prospect d`men seem to regularly come available, like Eric Johnson, Jack Johnson, Luke Schenn, even Zdeno Chara and on and on..................perhaps due to later development. On the other hand, playmaking centers need to be drafted, unless you are willing to overpay a ufa....which almost never works out.

Old
05-27-2013, 11:10 AM
koth

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channelcat View Post
On the other hand, playmaking centers need to be drafted, unless you are willing to overpay a ufa....which almost never works out.
You're wrong about that. Just look at Olie Jokin... never mind.

Old
05-27-2013, 11:30 AM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 777
Who would you guys rather have?

Matt Duchene or Alex Pietrangelo?

Old
05-27-2013, 11:46 AM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
Who would you guys rather have?

Matt Duchene or Alex Pietrangelo?
AP, especially if I already have Duchene. .

But, the question for Avs management is, who do they believe is the better player down the road.

Will MacKinnon be a 90+ pt player like Giroux, or not? Maybe he plays more like Duchene, though he likely is more physical than Duchene.

Will Jones be a more complete, impact dman, like AP or Doughty, or something a little less like EJ or Hedman? And is that, that bad anyway.

Old
05-27-2013, 12:14 PM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
AP, especially if I already have Duchene. .

But, the question for Avs management is, who do they believe is the better player down the road.

Will MacKinnon be a 90+ pt player like Giroux, or not? Maybe he plays more like Duchene, though he likely is more physical than Duchene.

Will Jones be a more complete, impact dman, like AP or Doughty, or something a little less like EJ or Hedman? And is that, that bad anyway.
I am asking for the Jets.

What do you value more? Does Colorado who gave up the 2nd most goals in the west value a offensive center more then do a steady D man?

Lets look at it from the Jets perspective. Would Mackinnon fit better with the Jets right now then Jones? I think he would even though I might have Jones marginally higher ranked then MacKinnon. If our Top 4 is Buff/Enstrom/Bogo/Trouba, I think I would have MacKinnon in our top 6 of Ladd/Little/Wheeler/Scheifele/Mackinnon/Kane.

If I was a scout I would say he is a better fit and Talent wise it is too close to call. I would take MacKinnon if the Jets were first overall.

Old
05-27-2013, 12:24 PM
tacogeoff

vCash: 460
So. in all my mid teen years of activily following the NHL I have not been interested in draft picks. I supported the Sens but I was not..how can we say..head over heals for them? Thus I did not really care about following possible draft picks and upcoming players.

Now that I have fully commited to the Jets (something my GF wishes I would do for her lol) I have my interest peaked for this upcoming draft.

The only player I have seen play live is Hunter Shinkaruk and I was impressed by him. Based on some current/updated draft rankings I have randomly looked at over the past few days we may or may not have a shot at him. I believe he would be a good production player for us and also plays center/LW.

Give me some pros and cons of drafting him and does anyone think it is possible obtaining him at our current first pick?

*Obviously it will depend on the other teams needs ahead of us. Darn it...I am going to go evaluate/guess that now lol

Old
05-27-2013, 12:26 PM
Huffer

Quote:

What do you value more? Does Colorado who gave up the 2nd most goals in the west value a offensive center more then do a steady D man?

Lets look at it from the Jets perspective. Would Mackinnon fit better with the Jets right now then Jones? I think he would even though I might have Jones marginally higher ranked then MacKinnon. If our Top 4 is Buff/Enstrom/Bogo/Trouba, I think I would have MacKinnon in our top 6 of Ladd/Little/Wheeler/Scheifele/Mackinnon/Kane.

If I was a scout I would say he is a better fit and Talent wise it is too close to call. I would take MacKinnon if the Jets were first overall.
For the Jets I would say fit wise it would be MacKinnon by quite a bit.

Old
05-27-2013, 12:42 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:

Yes. The Avs could use defensive help, but it is worth mention that a 1st line forward can have a significant impact on a team's defensive play. Offensive zone time, board battles, forecheck, MacKinnon can do it all. Also, D men generally take longer to develop which means you have to wait for a major impact.

Over the short term, MacKinnon and Jones would probably have similar impacts on puck possession and two way play. Long term, there is a little less risk in forwards and a team generally gets more high value years out of their ELC deals.

I would personally take MacKinnon 100 times out of a 100 regardless of what the team's talent pool looks like. Also worth noting that Stasny is likely on the outs in Colorado.

Duchene / ROR / MacKinnon would be a nice top end to any roster.

Figure out the D later.

Old
05-27-2013, 02:12 PM
Bob E

Quote:

Completely agree, Joe.
Mackinnon would be a better fit, imo, for the Jets.

Old
05-27-2013, 02:25 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy66 View Post
So. in all my mid teen years of activily following the NHL I have not been interested in draft picks. I supported the Sens but I was not..how can we say..head over heals for them? Thus I did not really care about following possible draft picks and upcoming players.

Now that I have fully commited to the Jets (something my GF wishes I would do for her lol) I have my interest peaked for this upcoming draft.

The only player I have seen play live is Hunter Shinkaruk and I was impressed by him. Based on some current/updated draft rankings I have randomly looked at over the past few days we may or may not have a shot at him. I believe he would be a good production player for us and also plays center/LW.

Give me some pros and cons of drafting him and does anyone think it is possible obtaining him at our current first pick?

*Obviously it will depend on the other teams needs ahead of us. Darn it...I am going to go evaluate/guess that now lol
I like Shinkaruk, but he has questions about him.

Cons:
Smallish, not overly physical, defensive awareness questioned, perimeter player for most part, Jr game may not translate to pro game as its much harder a grind to put up points, etc.

Pros:
Has shown he can score goals. That's important. Its a skill not everyone has. Speed, stickhandling and play making is an asset for him.

Questions are, can he get to the spots needed to score goals in NHL. Teams interested in him are likely teams where he adds a goal scoring element, on a team desperately needs scoring - Nashville, Stars, Devils, etc.

Old
05-27-2013, 03:22 PM
ps241
It's closing time.

Quote:

Ziggy I plan to get to the next level as far as being prepared for the draft this year. You have asked a simple question about Shinkaruk and it's a good one and if that is all you are interested in knowing I hope are homies give you the info. If you are interesting in Shink and friends I have included a link to the prospects site and how to gain knowledge on this upcoming draft. My recommendations would be to read the short thread and resource options for educating yourself.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1340305

happy hunting my friend

Old
05-27-2013, 04:30 PM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:

Shinkaruk will never play C at the NHL level. I can guarantee you that. He is a winger.

Shinkaruk has good skills, but I am not overly impressed with his ability to fight through traffic or go to the hard areas of the ice. He skates well, good hands, good shot, but I would not be interested in him at 13. In the 18-24 range he would be a real solid pick, but I think there is better pro potential guys.

Old
05-27-2013, 05:22 PM
sully1410
#VinegarStrokes

vCash: 72
Am I the only one that doesn't like Jones? Like at all. I think he's super arrogant, just an impression that I got from some of his interviews. I'm also not super impressed with his play either.

Old
05-27-2013, 06:49 PM
tacogeoff

vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Ziggy I plan to get to the next level as far as being prepared for the draft this year. You have asked a simple question about Shinkaruk and it's a good one and if that is all you are interested in knowing I hope are homies give you the info. If you are interesting in Shink and friends I have included a link to the prospects site and how to gain knowledge on this upcoming draft. My recommendations would be to read the short thread and resource options for educating yourself.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1340305

happy hunting my friend
Thanks

Old
05-27-2013, 07:47 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
Am I the only one that doesn't like Jones? Like at all. I think he's super arrogant, just an impression that I got from some of his interviews. I'm also not super impressed with his play either.
I don't really care about interviews, but I love Jones's game. He is one of the smoothest moving D men I have ever seen. Couple that with size and brilliant offensive intincts and you have a dangerous combo. Personally I am not 100% sure that he will turn into the cornerstone shutdown piece that some scouts suggest he will, but I do see him as a relatively safe bet to be an impact player.

Old
05-28-2013, 12:06 AM
rguy56

In a way, I'm with you, Sully.

I don't know if he plays better when I leave the room for a snack, or what it is. I can see he's a good player, and I really do trust the thousands of opinions that he is a super premium prospect. When I actually watch Jones play, he just doesn't knock my socks off. Just to repeat myself, I do trust the many who see it differently.

Certainly, when they were playing together, Trouba was FAR better than Jones, game after game. In fairness Trouba's a year older, but he was beyond a year more mature. I hope I'm not catching a case of homer here...

Old
05-28-2013, 12:32 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rguy56 View Post
In a way, I'm with you, Sully.

I don't know if he plays better when I leave the room for a snack, or what it is. I can see he's a good player, and I really do trust the thousands of opinions that he is a super premium prospect. When I actually watch Jones play, he just doesn't knock my socks off. Just to repeat myself, I do trust the many who see it differently.

Certainly, when they were playing together, Trouba was FAR better than Jones, game after game. In fairness Trouba's a year older, but he was beyond a year more mature. I hope I'm not catching a case of homer here...
Trouba is only 7 months older, so the age thing should be somewhat minimal and I agree that Trouba has a completely different level of polish. I am very curious to see how they compare over time.

Old
05-28-2013, 12:34 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahdupah View Post
Like Bouwmeester did?
Pretty much.

Even the best D prospects are a crap shoot. That is the reason I would pretty much never take one #1 overall.

Old
05-28-2013, 06:21 AM
ps241
It's closing time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Pretty much.

Even the best D prospects are a crap shoot. That is the reason I would pretty much never take one #1 overall.
I am with you, history has not been kind to those who have taken D men 1st overall, it's just too much of a crap shot. Drafting and projecting always has some luck involved because you are asking people to predict the future, for some reason it is tougher projectong elite future performance (as in 1st overall value) with D prospects.

Old
05-28-2013, 08:49 AM
Channelcat

vCash: 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Pretty much.

Agreed, while I hope the Avs do take Jones, they need immediate help while defensemen tend to be a 4/5 project. From what I've seen of Jones, his talents are immense, but he is nowhere near being ready to play in the NHL.

Unfortunately I think Trouba is a similar case. Watching him at the WHC, he looks like he will have to make major strides before contributing at the NHL level.

Closed Thread