HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers @ Leafs | The Captains Log Edition | 7.00PM EST| April 4, 2013 | Sportsnet-O ‎

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2013, 02:24 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVReemer View Post
No, he said line... JVR Bozak Grabo isn't a line; just thought LR made a typo.
My bad, it should be JVR, Bozak and my mistake was not saying "the" grabo line.

04-04-2013, 02:25 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
They were 3-0-2 with him IN the lineup, and he was a PLUS player, so...
That +/- is very stupid man..he's been bad defensively, as great as he has been offensively

Old
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbs View Post
Can't believe the kid only has 10 points playing with all-stars like this.
Don't wory when we give him Kessel and JVR, he'll be fine ?

Old
BigWilly

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
My bad, it should be JVR, Bozak and my mistake was not saying "the" grabo line.
ohh I see, and agree.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:26 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
We need JVR, Bozak and Grabo line to wake up. We can't shotty with Kadri, lupul and Kulie
Poulin alluded to this today, that we haven't seen the team firing on all cylinders yet, a few streaks here and there, but what could happen if everyone gets going?

I have a feeling Grabo shines come playoff time.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:27 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
That +/- is very stupid man..he's been bad defensively, as great as he has been offensively
Yes, but if he was dreadful it would show up, and the team was winning!

Old
04-04-2013, 02:28 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Poulin alluded to this today, that we haven't seen the team firing on all cylinders yet, a few streaks here and there, but what could happen if everyone gets going?

I think and hope so too. However we can't hold out like this, and we need them to start going. Our fourth line has more strong cycle work than the other two as sad as that sounds.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:29 PM
BigWilly

vCash: 100
Quote:

If all three lines got going, we might just have the league's best scoring depth.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Warden of the North
Global Moderator
hmmmmmmm

Quote:
They were 3-0-2 with him IN the lineup, and he was a PLUS player, so...
But he wasnt playing all that well.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:31 PM
SteveV*

Just curious how Gardiner redeems himself if never given the opportunity? How does a kid develop in the press box? Do we not all agree Liles should never have spent a month in the press box? I don't like Carlyle's "dog house"' because it seems he never gives the second opportunity, the team had to start falling apart before Liles came back and he's been great since his return, added a much need dynamic to our D. If Randy had Jake on such a short leash should have left him in the A. Period.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:31 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Yes, but if he was dreadful it would show up, and the team was winning!
Dude I love gardiner as the next guy but he really was screwing up a lot of plays. He's in the dog house for the right reason here, not for a crime he didn't commit . This isn't only in the NHL, recall how I said he was also struggling defensively in the AHL as well?

Old
04-04-2013, 02:33 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Just curious how Gardiner redeems himself if never given the opportunity? How does a kid develop in the press box? Do we not all agree Liles should never have spent a month in the press box? I don't like Carlyle's "dog house"' because it seems he never gives the second opportunity, the team had to start falling apart before Liles came back and he's been great since his return, added a much need dynamic to our D. If Randy had Jake on such a short leash should have left him in the A. Period.
Take it as a right of passage, all the players in the past had to do this similarly, sbisa, fowler and so on. He's stubborn but at the same time he's one the right thing with defensemen.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:33 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
But he wasnt playing all that well.
Agreed in totality, but that means he never plays again? Now we have another guy coming in, Carlyle will surely put him in, Jake could sit for the rest of the season without an injury. I don't get the gameplay with Jake, they have mishandled him this year IMO.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:35 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Agreed in totality, but that means he never plays again? Now we have another guy coming in, Carlyle will surely put him in, Jake could sit for the rest of the season without an injury. I don't get the gameplay with Jake, they have mishandled him this year IMO.
I think O'byrne is here more for Liles and it'll be fraser who's out or Gunnarsson(if his injury takes a toll)

Old
04-04-2013, 02:35 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
Dude I love gardiner as the next guy but he really was screwing up a lot of plays. He's in the dog house for the right reason here, not for a crime he didn't commit . This isn't only in the NHL, recall how I said he was also struggling defensively in the AHL as well?
I thought he should be up, but if the brass saw flaws it was lunacy to call him up and now have him rot in the press box, surely we can all agree this is not helping Jake overcome whatever flaws he has? Now he can't go down, it's silly.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:36 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
I think O'byrne is here more for Liles and it'll be fraser who's out or Gunnarsson(if his injury takes a toll)
I think Kostka sits, maybe Gunner, Fraser has been fine.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:37 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
I think Kostka sits, maybe Gunner, Fraser has been fine.
Oh yea good point, kostka is definitely the one.

It should be something like

Dion - Gunnar
Liles - Byrne
Fraser - Franson

Old
04-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
I thought he should be up, but if the brass saw flaws it was lunacy to call him up and now have him rot in the press box, surely we can all agree this is not helping Jake overcome whatever flaws he has? Now he can't go down, it's silly.
Well maybe it's not the best but he can do his best while he does the drill and when the coaches see he's into it really. He should earn it back.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:39 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Kill Icing View Post
This fan-base and city's media goes crazy whenever their prized prospect doesn't play with the big club. First with Kadri, now Gardiner.

At this point, I agree with Carlyle's decision. Carlyle plays a system where defenseman takes out bodies, and Gardiner has struggled doing that. Carlyle's system or not, Gardiner needs to learn that part. When coach thinks he is ready enough, he'll put him back in. No need to get bonkers about it.

It is not like team is in a huge losing streak and they are doing aweful without Gardiner in lineup.
annoying that he had much, MUCH more patience with the godawful Holzer than he has with Gardiner, though.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:41 PM
zeke
#freewilly

O'Byrne is our 8th best defenseman, at best. He shouldn't be taking anyone's job unless there's an injury.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:44 PM
Didact
lucky number 13

We all know how long he sits people in the dog house. That's why I don't have faith in how he's handling Gardiner. Liles shouldn't of been sitting for 10 +straight games and he thought Holzer was an upgrade over Liles? Face it, he's a muscle head coach, preferring toughness over skill. Gardiner will be pushed down the lineup with pylonish (not a word) defencemen in RYAN O'BYRNE.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:47 PM
Warden of the North
Global Moderator
hmmmmmmm

We're in a playoff battle, now is not the time to figuring out defensive responsibilities.

We're not in the clear yet.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:48 PM
ryno23

My take on Gardiner is that the Leafs were on a losing streak and people were talking about last year's collapse and I think they rushed Gardiner up in hopes he plays better at the NHL level with better structure. They won't admit to it but the timing is curious

You hear it all the time the NHL has a better structure and simple game compare to the AHL and guys who are fringe players. Guys who go for conditioning stints say this all the time more free wheeling and lack of structure down there.

Now he was not ready and still suffering the sophomore slump and should have been kept down but the talk of Gardiner was getting louder and louder. They figured his offensive game would out-weight any mistakes but that did not happen.

If the Leafs were not on that losing streak I can almost guarantee you Gardiner would have finished the season in the AHL to work on his game.

Him sitting in the pressbox may not help his game but the Leafs cannot afford to play a guy working on his game during the stretch drive.

Gardiner will be ok next season and will be a good player for us.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:53 PM
Doshy

A Leafs win and Islanders loss tonight would be awesome.

Old
04-04-2013, 03:08 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
Gardiner shouldn't had been called up, I was saying that all along. Keep down there, and call him up for the playoffs if he continued to be strong in the AHL.

Everyone else (well 99%) were calling for Carlyle's head wanting him up here playing 20+ minutes a game, and even Gardiner's agent was calling for Gardiner to come up.

Guess what? Gardiner wasn't ready, and now has to be in the Press box because he isn't playing well.
Ding ding ding!

Closed Thread