HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Phoenix LXXIV: Be Seeing You

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2013, 10:09 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamonster View Post
So true and so well said!!!
Yepp. Messy. Greasy... slippery.

Old
04-13-2013, 10:13 PM
mesamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Yepp. Messy. Greasy... slippery.

Say k, do you think the chef has ever served anyone on time or anything anyone wanted to eat? Kind of reminds me of the GB, never on time and completely distasteful to the patrons willing set foot inside his hellish domain!

Old
04-13-2013, 10:44 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamonster View Post
Kind of reminds me of the GB, never on time and completely distasteful to the patrons willing set foot inside his hellish domain!
He just wont play nice period... deliberately irrational.

Last edited by Killion: 04-13-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old
04-14-2013, 01:08 AM
TheLegend
Megathread Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
I don't know the specifics of Arizona law, but I believe the only reason why Glendale got away with the $25M AMF is that nobody tried to challenge it in court.

The $25M came from funds that get around the gift clause.

With the Jamison AMF, IIRC... Glendale used data from two other arenas to prop up their position that the annual costs of the AMF were closely in line.

AZ Gift Law more or less that cities can have contracts with private enterprises so long as the return is not disproportional to the amount spent.

I would imagine GWI could have mounted a challenge to both, but they chose not to. I guess it would be because they didn't see getting any value (donations to their cause) out of it.

(EDIT: Posted this before seeing CF addressed it.)

Last edited by TheLegend: 04-14-2013 at 01:27 AM.
Old
04-14-2013, 01:25 AM
madhi19
Just the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
The $25M came from funds that get around the gift clause.

With the Jamison AMF, IIRC... Glendale used data from two other arenas to prop up their position that the annual costs of the AMF were closely in line.

AZ Gift Law more or less that cities can have contracts with private enterprises so long as the return is not disproportional to the amount spent.

I would imagine GWI could have mounted a challenge to both, but they chose not to. I guess it would be because they didn't see getting any value (donations to their cause) out of it.
I think they could not file until Jamison closed the deal. He never closed so they never had to.

Old
04-14-2013, 12:23 PM
WildGopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
I agree in large part. I think it will be very messy for the NHL to try to work out some sort of short-term sale, with the option of relocation or re-sale within a few years. It seems highly likely that anyone insisting on those terms would have an interest in the relocation / resale more than the long-term challenge of Glendale as a site for an NHL franchise. I think the best options for the NHL have been on the table, and are now off the table. They couldn't find a buyer despite Glendale's most ardent wooing.
Yeah, a new owner with a relocation option is a recipe for disaster and bad feelings all around. When Norm Green bought the North Stars in 1990, it came with a piece of paper from the league authorizing him to move the team for up to three years. He used it to basically blackmail the community with demands - for free land to connect his arena to the Mall of America, for a new arena itself, it never ended. When the various governments said no, he walked, and left everyone bitter about both Green and the league. They don't need that kind of headache all over again in Glendale, because it would just end with the team leaving for greener pastures, anyway.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:51 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGopher View Post
They don't need that kind of headache all over again in Glendale, because it would just end with the team leaving for greener pastures, anyway.
Ya, thats a huge problem alrighty. A short-term-lease with an escape clause absolutely engenders suspicions, circumspection, cynicism. If you did sign one with someone whoever it might be would just have to be almost a Saint. Paragon. Oozing integrity, has there **** together. Not seeing that anywhere.

Old
04-14-2013, 02:39 PM
WildGopher

Quote:
Ya, thats a huge problem alrighty. A short-term-lease with an escape clause absolutely engenders suspicions, circumspection, cynicism. If you did sign one with someone whoever it might be would just have to be almost a Saint. Paragon. Oozing integrity, has there **** together. Not seeing that anywhere.
Would take someone on a mission to save the franchise where it is, willing to take the losses, maybe someone who's played for the team or has a special relationship to the franchise that'd give him the needed trust factor with the community and the desire to make it work. Something like what Lemieux did for Pittsburgh, although even he had to dangle the possibilty of moving to Kansas City. Those franchise saviors are so rare I can't think of another one like him in any sport, although I'm sure it's happened before. But rare and unlikely to find? Yeah.

Old
04-14-2013, 03:37 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

And really therein lies the problem. None of the current suitors even remotely project such, indeed, either short pocketed (Jamison) with some experience but no real ties to the community, and or short pocketed (Pastor, Hulsizer, IEH) or lacking experience (Pastor, Hulsizer, Leblanc & Gosbee). The only ones with experience & ties to the community were the Reinsdorfs & Kaites, though even at that for how long who knows as apparently old Jerry theres a tad upset with Glendale pursuant to Camelback & the Coyotes situation, maybe goes Grapefruit League & leaves the state altogether. Obviously nothing came of Roenicks interests, as if, and I do rather suspect that Shane Doan was likely offered a role with the franchise by Jamison when he was looking at offers last year but still. On a short-term agreement, they'll really need someone who's armour shines brightly, who's believable, doesnt talk a lot, over-promises & under-delivers, actually gets things done, stands on his own two feet.

Old
04-14-2013, 03:47 PM
cbcwpg

September 2012: Wealthiest Arizona Residents

http://phoenix.about.com/cs/famous/a/wealthiest01.htm

Bruce Halle - net worth $4 billion
Bennett Dorrance - net worth $2 billion
Bob Parsons - net worth $1.5 billion
Peter Sperling - net worth $1.5 billion
Arturo Moreno - net worth $1.1 billion

Too bad none of these people that call Arizona home have any interest in the Coyotes.

And according to

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...eholds-in.html

Arizona had 117,843 millionaire households.

Lots of money in the state, just no interest in owning the team.

Last edited by cbcwpg: 04-14-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old
04-14-2013, 03:54 PM
XX
Avoiding the Cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post

Lot's of money in the state, just no interest in owning the team.
No interest in paying twice what the team is worth, you mean. Knock it down to what many have said it's worth - around $90 million - and there will be plenty of bidders. Personally, I'd give the team away for free to Arte Moreno, if he was interested. Let him pay back the league 1% a year for the next 100 years. Wouldn't even charge him interest.

Old
04-14-2013, 03:54 PM
metalfoot
Karlsson!

Bob Parsons! Then you'd have to rename it the GoDaddy arena and have them the GoDaddy Coyotes... oh dear... ;-)

Old
04-14-2013, 04:37 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

... better GoDaddy than NoDaddy.

Old
04-14-2013, 04:45 PM
Whileee

Quote:
And really therein lies the problem. None of the current suitors even remotely project such, indeed, either short pocketed (Jamison) with some experience but no real ties to the community, and or short pocketed (Pastor, Hulsizer, IEH) or lacking experience (Pastor, Hulsizer, Leblanc & Gosbee). The only ones with experience & ties to the community were the Reinsdorfs & Kaites, though even at that for how long who knows as apparently old Jerry theres a tad upset with Glendale pursuant to Camelback & the Coyotes situation, maybe goes Grapefruit League & leaves the state altogether. Obviously nothing came of Roenicks interests, as if, and I do rather suspect that Shane Doan was likely offered a role with the franchise by Jamison when he was looking at offers last year but still. On a short-term agreement, they'll really need someone who's armour shines brightly, who's believable, doesnt talk a lot, over-promises & under-delivers, actually gets things done, stands on his own two feet.
Reinsdorf's lease agreement with the COG allowed him to bail after 5 years. Even though he has ties to the community, it illustrates that he is cautious about the prospects in that market, and he was very skeptical that the CFD would produce the promised subsidies.

Old
04-14-2013, 05:09 PM
Llama19

vCash: 50
Quote:
Kinda like the mouse that roared...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7L7WLFBYR4

Be seeing you!

Last edited by Llama19: 04-14-2013 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Changed image to YouTube
Old
04-14-2013, 05:11 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
September 2012: Wealthiest Arizona Residents

http://phoenix.about.com/cs/famous/a/wealthiest01.htm

Bruce Halle - net worth $4 billion
Bennett Dorrance - net worth $2 billion
Bob Parsons - net worth $1.5 billion
Peter Sperling - net worth $1.5 billion
Arturo Moreno - net worth $1.1 billion

Too bad none of these people that call Arizona home have any interest in the Coyotes.

And according to

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...eholds-in.html

Arizona had 117,843 millionaire households.

Lots of money in the state, just no interest in owning the team.
indeed, 4 of them could easily become milllionaires

Old
04-14-2013, 06:09 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Even though he has ties to the community, it illustrates that he is cautious about the prospects in that market...
... I believe he was doing it for the Lad, young Michael
there. Had his heart set on an NHL franchise Whileee...

so crazy it just mighta worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
Kinda like the mouse that roared...
Be seeing you!
here its been cranked up a few notches, like Peter Sellers meet's
a brain damaged John Cleese & the entire crew from Monty Python.

Be seeing you...

Last edited by Killion: 04-14-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old
04-14-2013, 06:28 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon of Styx View Post
indeed, 4 of them could easily become milllionaires
... just a minute now. Why, youve changed yer name almost as many times as Ive resigned or been fired round here. Wat dat about?

Old
04-14-2013, 06:31 PM
wpgallday1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
No interest in paying twice what the team is worth, you mean. Knock it down to what many have said it's worth - around $90 million - and there will be plenty of bidders. Personally, I'd give the team away for free to Arte Moreno, if he was interested. Let him pay back the league 1% a year for the next 100 years. Wouldn't even charge him interest.
Well how do you explain no interest in the team despite a $300M gift from the COG that would cover the $170M purchase price and plenty left over to cover losses for a few years?

Old
04-14-2013, 06:33 PM
Confucius

Quote:
... just a minute here. Youve changed yer name almost as many times as Ive resigned & or been fired round here. Whats that all about?
nothing really, i just get bored of the old one, sort of like changing avators
and yes you wouldn't believe how many times of changed my real name

Old
04-14-2013, 06:42 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon of Styx View Post
nothing really, i just get bored of the old one, sort of like changing avators
and yes you wouldn't believe how many times of changed my real name...
Its actually pretty clever. Get away with throwing incendiarys around without being immediately recognized.... maybe thats what the NHL's doing. Gosbee, this Preacher or whatever, Pastor, really in fact its Bill Daly or some other Flunky from the NHL just pretending to be these people. We've only heard them on the radio, some press releases masquerading as news stories. Where are the pictures? Film, video, photographic evidence? Never seen their faces.

Old
04-14-2013, 06:48 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgallday1960 View Post
Well how do you explain no interest in the team despite a $300M gift from the COG that would cover the $170M purchase price and plenty left over to cover losses for a few years?
I'd imagine you'd have a very hard time of it convincing an investment or merchant banker to advance funds & a line of credit, even one without morals & scruples against what is essentially a completely unsecured receivable of $320M from a near on bankrupt municipality.
If it was that simple, Id have bought the team myself.... but if I did? That my friend is when the party would really start at thejob!

doubt I'd make it past the BOG's though. Hey ho...

Old
04-14-2013, 07:11 PM
WildGopher

Quote:
Its actually pretty clever. Get away with throwing incendiarys around without being immediately recognized.... maybe thats what the NHL's doing. Gosbee, this Preacher or whatever, Pastor, really in fact its Bill Daly or some other Flunky from the NHL just pretending to be these people. We've only heard them on the radio, some press releases masquerading as news stories. Where are the pictures? Film, video, photographic evidence? Never seen their faces.
Yeah, there's evidence. My cousin in Phoenix has a work colleague whose seen Pastor's shoes - he's the real deal. Gosbee? Guicci loafers. Hint of real money there. The old COG would have gone with it, offered either of them a few hundred million; not so sure about this new bunch.

Old
04-14-2013, 09:09 PM
MNNumbers

Back to the matter at hand....

What is there that could actually happen this week? Any Glendale City Council sessions? Does anyone know if the league has any action scheduled with any buyers?

Old
04-14-2013, 09:41 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNumbers View Post
What is there that could actually happen this week? Any Glendale City Council
sessions? Does anyone know if the league has any action scheduled with any buyers?
I havent read or heard a thing, and the seasons quickly winding down MN. Either we'll be looking at some sort of power play I suspect, between these potential buyers & the NHL & the City, or, they all just go quietly into the night (though Dylan Thomas's version is "Do not go gentle" but I digress). A very rapid & quick amputation, relocation, the happiness elsewhere drowning out the despondency, feelings of loss & sadness, the utter waste & futility of it all, incompetence, of outrage in some quarters, acceptance in others down in Arizona & elsewhere. Much as was the case with the Thrashers to Winnipeg sale & move. Without the league going to the COG and looking for a Mgmnt Fee "just in case" for next year, theyve' seemingly run right out of time. It'll take weeks, well into June/July to close a local sale & by then well past a suitable time-frame to move.

Last edited by Killion: 04-14-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Closed Thread