HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Players wanting out

Old
04-03-2013, 05:17 PM
Jarnberg

vCash: 500
Players wanting out

Suter rejected our deals and left for greener pastures, Weber tried to beast his way out signing a contract that we "couldn't match and now Erat has requested a trade out of town.

This has to be concerning. Thoughts as to why?

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:18 PM
Nashville Transplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Suter rejected our deals and left for greener pastures, Weber tried to beast his way out signing a contract that we "couldn't match and now Erat has requested a trade out of town.

This has to be concerning. Thoughts as to why?
You must be listening to these clowns on The Game. Frightening. They don't have a clue, and they're harping on the most ridiculous angles. Poile has the right idea...

Nashville Transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:18 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville Transplant View Post
You must be listening to these clowns on The Game. Frightening. They don't have a clue, and they're harping on the most ridiculous angles. Poile has the right idea...
Not listening to anything.

Old
04-03-2013, 05:19 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Suter wanted to go home.

Weber wanted the absolute max deal he could get.

Erat has played for us for YEARS and asked for a trade after an all around flakey season. Do you know how rare it is for a player to play his entire career in one city?

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:20 PM
hockey diva

Try looking at the FO and the guy with no neck behind the bench for starters. And we are Nashvile. Guys want big lights, recognition, the perks of being on "name" team or a big market franchise. We will never be able to offer that.

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jonesey
It's almost time..

I still don't think Weber wanted out. I think he wanted the best contract he could get and would have been perfectly happy in Philadelphia or here in Nashville.

Suter, meh.

Erat, too soon to know the reason.

Old
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
I'm guessing Weber wanted a long, long term deal and knew he wasn't going to get it if he waited until the new CBA.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Iron Duke

Weber was retained, and there is an equal chance he just wanted $ as opposed to out.

Erat's asking for a trade doesn't really tell us much unless we know the context of the request. However, he had enough respect for the organization to let them know privately, and enable them to receive a great asset in return.

Suter left to play closer to home, all indications being it was purely due to familial reasons (the $ didn't hurt either).

Nothing to be concerned about until something really concerning arises.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jubal

Maybe we haven't lived to their expectations? Maybe they want to go to a team they think they can win a cup on, instead of sticking with us while we get closer to getting one.

Or maybe they just want to play in a big "hockey town" instead of a Southern market team. This season though hasn't been good so I could see why players would get discouraged.

Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:25 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville Transplant View Post
Not listening to the clowns, but I am making inferences based on Poile's comments. Erat was adamant. Poile gave him time to reconsider. Thought maybe he was just frustrated. Marty didn't change his mind.

Something about this organization is turning away elite players. I'm worried it's Poile and Trotz, though I respect both very much.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:25 PM
dulzhok

What I said in the other thread:

The thing with Suter and Weber is they were adamant they wanted to be surrounded by better players. Other than a last ditch rental FA spending spree, Poile did very little to improve the team around them.

I would guess Erat is in the same boat. He's obviously been our most talented offensive player the last 10 years and has had to play with inferior line-mates most of his career. IMO, I think Erat got fed up with same-old-same-old. He's entering his twilight years and wants to play with some talent.

Also, he was having his 1st down year of his career, so all the more reason for a change.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:27 PM
Machinehead
Because Rongos

vCash: 50
I think it was time on both sides for Erat to have a change of scenery. I don't think that's related at all to Suter wanting to leave.

Stop being so salty
Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:28 PM
Webersmashpuck

Keep in mind, just this summer Klein and Fisher signed contracts that were less than what they could have gotten on the open market to stay here. Fisher obviously had roots, but Klein is no slouch.

With Suter he did the whole situation completely wrong and cowardly. But I believe him when he said he asked Parise to come here before deciding on Minnesota.

Weber wanted money upfront, because there was a chance that with the lockout salaries could go down. It looks really bad, but I don't think he was upset about staying.

Erat is the head scratcher. I posted a theory I had in the last thread, but maybe he is just too used to being in the playoffs, or maybe he even saw the writing on the wall. Who knows.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:28 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I think it was time on both sides for Erat to have a change of scenery. I don't think that's related at all to Suter wanting to leave.
Nor likely related to Weber's offer sheet situation. Just another "Fire Poile/Trotz" thread in disguise, it seems.

Old
04-03-2013, 05:29 PM
Jarnberg

Suter chose not to sign here so he didn't rate us as high as another team. Weber signed a deal that was almost impossible for Nashville to match. If he really wanted a big deal here, why didn't he sign one before and go to the offersheet?

Old
04-03-2013, 05:31 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Trotz?

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:31 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
Nor likely related to Weber's offer sheet situation. Just another "Fire Poile/Trotz" thread in disguise, it seems.
Is it beyond reason that talented players want to surround themselves with other talented players?

Both Suter and Weber were public in their desire to improve the team around them.

Old
04-03-2013, 05:33 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Suter chose not to sign here so he didn't rate us as high as another team. Weber signed a deal that was almost impossible for Nashville to match. If he really wanted a big deal here, why didn't he sign one before and go to the offersheet?
As it was, it wasn't impossible to match, and he could have signed it simply because it was stupid $ that a desperate GM was willing to throw out there.

Are you really holding it against the organization that St. Paul is closer to Suter's family than Nashville, which is the entire reason he signed there?

Old
04-03-2013, 05:35 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Is it beyond reason that talented players want to surround themselves with other talented players?

Both Suter and Weber were public in their desire to improve the team around them.
Not beyond reason at all, but there's also no real evidence to support such a theory at this point. Just because these three instances have happened over the same year does not mean they're correlated as to their cause.

Old
04-03-2013, 05:36 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
\
Are you really holding it against the organization that St. Paul is closer to Suter's family than Nashville, which is the entire reason he signed there?
It's not the entire reason. There can be more than one reason. That's the easiest one to tell the media and it is a true statement.

Old
04-03-2013, 05:37 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Stranger, I'm not sure if you have advocated it, but haven't there been several posts wanting Erat moved for a good forward prospect, preferably one who could turn into a 1C?

Honestly, I never thought we would be able to trade Erat, but if he wanted out that's fine. Move one of the aging "core" assets for a good young asset, and move on. That's asset management. Poile didn't have to trade him at all.

Holding everything I have like it was broken
Gimme something good
TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:38 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Not beyond reason at all, but there's also no real evidence to support such a theory at this point. Just because these three instances have happened over the same year does not mean they're correlated as to their cause.
Both Weber and Suter were public in their desire for Poile to improve the team. That's evidence to me that they wanted to see changes.

Old
04-03-2013, 05:39 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Weber and Suter (and Trotz and Poile) noted in the media how the team needed to add a couple of pieces to go to the next level. That isn't unusual.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:40 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Stranger, I'm not sure if you have advocated it, but haven't there been several posts wanting Erat moved for a good forward prospect, preferably one who could turn into a 1C?

Honestly, I never thought we would be able to trade Erat, but if he wanted out that's fine. Move one of the aging "core" assets for a good young asset, and move on. That's asset management. Poile didn't have to trade him at all.
It's a great return for Erat. Credit to Poile. But also credit to Erat-- Poile would've likely never looked at moving him if he didn't ask for a trade. In part because of NTC. And in part because it's so unlike anything Poile has ever done.

Old
04-03-2013, 05:40 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Both Weber and Suter were public in their desire for Poile to improve the team. That's evidence to me that they wanted to see changes.
Poile added 2 skilled forwards, a veteran bottom 6 pk/faceoff guy, and a veteran d-man with Cup experience before last year's playoffs. That wasn't improving the team? It may not have worked out, but I don't see how that promise was not delivered on.