HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Luongo Thread - OMG Guyz Schneider is Hurt - MOD WARNING IN OP

Closed Thread

Old
04-07-2013, 01:18 AM
Fat Tony

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mork View Post
No one could fault Sundin or Luongo for doing merely what each of them contracted to do.
Some fans did blame Sundin for setting back TO by not waiving. It's silly but it's an emotional reaction. I wouldn't hold it against Luongo for exercising the options that he and Gillis agreed to. Trying to force him to waive if he doesn't want to would be akin to asking him to give back salary.

Old
04-07-2013, 01:18 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
Nick Backstrom in Minnesota is a free agent next year. He is 35 years old. Minni will be looking for a good goalie. They wont cheap out. I doubt they would be dumb enough to sign the over rated Mike Smith from Phoenix or the big question mark in Ryan Miller.

You mention Bernier.. How much playoff experience does he have ?

And are you make it sound like nobody is spending money in the goal position anymore. Jonanthan Quick just signed a 6 million dollar deal and Pekka Renni got a 7 million dollar deal.

New Jersey will be looking for a solid goaltender at some point soon. They aren't the ones to cheap out either.

Out of all of the goalies available, Schnieder is the most desirable one.
Except Schneider isn't available, or he likely would have been dealt already. Luongo wants out, Gillis isn't going to keep the goalie who doesn't want to be here.

Old
04-07-2013, 01:22 AM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Humour me which team needs a goalie and what would they give ballpark to get Schneider then?

Mike Smith is out there as is Bernier and possibly Ryan Miller as well.
I covered this subject with this thread

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1395619

If smiith moves phx needs a goalie. Same for miller.

Old
04-07-2013, 01:23 AM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarpan View Post
What would a team give up for Schneider though? I'd only trade him if it would help us get a young top player or a grade A prospect.
He would get more then Ben Bishop did

Old
04-07-2013, 01:29 AM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Except Schneider isn't available, or he likely would have been dealt already. Luongo wants out, Gillis isn't going to keep the goalie who doesn't want to be here.
Loungo thought he had a spot in Florida at the time when he said he wanted to leave. But the information that he was getting about going to Florida did not materialize. That doesn't mean he wants out of here.

Now that Gillis realizes that there is little trade value in Loungo, he will probably go back to his original plan of trading Schnieder.

Trading Schnieder was the original plan right from the start.

Old
04-07-2013, 01:36 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Loungo thought he had a spot in Florida at the time when he said he wanted to leave. But the information that he was getting about going to Florida did not materialize. That doesn't mean he wants out of here.

Now that Gillis realizes that there is little trade value in Loungo, he will probably go back to his original plan of trading Schnieder.

Trading Schnieder was the original plan right from the start.
Don't believe that for a second...I think Luongo's PC after the deadline made it pretty clear he was hoping he'd be out of here.

Old
04-07-2013, 01:48 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarpan View Post
What would a team give up for Schneider though? I'd only trade him if it would help us get a young top player or a grade A prospect.
If Ottawa had the gull to ask about Couts for Bishop. That'd have to be our benchmark.

Old
04-07-2013, 01:55 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Nick Backstrom in Minnesota is a free agent next year. He is 35 years old. Minni will be looking for a good goalie. They wont cheap out. I doubt they would be dumb enough to sign the over rated Mike Smith from Phoenix or the big question mark in Ryan Miller.

You mention Bernier.. How much playoff experience does he have ?

And are you make it sound like nobody is spending money in the goal position anymore. Jonanthan Quick just signed a 6 million dollar deal and Pekka Renni got a 7 million dollar deal.

New Jersey will be looking for a solid goaltender at some point soon. They aren't the ones to cheap out either.

Out of all of the goalies available, Schnieder is the most desirable one.
All of the guys have pros and cons, age, cost, experience, both good and bad but what would you think a team might give up ballpark for Schneider?

Old
04-07-2013, 02:01 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
I covered this subject with this thread

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1395619

If smiith moves phx needs a goalie. Same for miller.
the Yotes are run by the NHL they aren't really going to be progressive in their spending are they?

Old
04-07-2013, 02:06 AM
JuniorNelson

If Gillis had insider information that the Sedins were done, what would it look like? He'd grab a top six center now, right? Roy is the best under thirty center slated for free agency. The other FA options aren't much anyway, if youth is an issue. Cervenka and Wellwood are also under thirty. Roy is affordable at about five million and young enough to give him a longer term if you are certain it's a fit.

No Sedins means plenty of cap room. It also signifies a shift in leadership. Bieksa is my choice for Captain and I don't think having an awesome veteran back-up would concern me next season. Even if I chose to rely on him as the starter, I think I'd be okay with that. Leadership from the goalie is a real confidence builder. Anyway, after next season the cap will be less of an issue as the team gets younger and the cap grows. NP!

Old
04-07-2013, 03:42 AM
Zarpan

Quote:
He would get more then Ben Bishop did
I think we need to get way way more than what Ottawa got for Bishop.

Conacher might not turn out to be much better than Ebbett over his career.

Old
04-07-2013, 05:31 AM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Don't believe that for a second...I think Luongo's PC after the deadline made it pretty clear he was hoping he'd be out of here.
Yeah, but where do you think the Canucks rank in teams he would want to start for ? Number 4 ?

As we know from Brian Lawton, the original plan was to trade Schnieder.

Old
04-07-2013, 05:37 AM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
All of the guys have pros and cons, age, cost, experience, both good and bad but what would you think a team might give up ballpark for Schneider?
Tampa would have given us more for Schnieder then what they paid for Bishop. (24 yo Cory Conacher, 9 goals, 15 assist this year)

Old
04-07-2013, 05:40 AM
billvanseattle

talk about revisionist history ...

1. the original plan was to trade Schneider ... how far back are we going? When Lou's contract was signed? When Cory's contract was signed?

2. no doubt the Canucks have a challenging situation. Right now Schneids is playing lights out hockey. So the Canucks accept they have a problem and trade Schneids in the off season? A number of posters have alluded to this, but I have seen no evidence of this.

3. Luo has been classy and professional. He could have forced the Canucks and MG by refusing to waive his NTC. There options would be very limited.

4. A big part of this problem is the league. They have changed the rules midstream by adding in the penalty clauses.

Old
04-07-2013, 07:47 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mork View Post
I've had an open mind to this idea, me2, but having thought about it I don't think it can work. Too many moving parts. If by some miracle it did work (i.e.: everybody lands up in the right place), I don't think the league would allow it.

In terms of CBA circumvention, it would be the sequel to New Jersey's first contract with Kovalchuk. I forget the details of whether the contract was not approved or just what happened, but for some reason the original deal didn't go through and this wouldn't either. I think the league would just refuse to approve the new contracts, and I understand it has authority to do that.
I don't think such a deal would happen either. Tampa doesn't have financial ability to buy out a big contract. Two teams swapping players for buyouts is very unrealistic.

It's not unrealistic to think a rich team might try and milk quality assets from a trade then buyout of another teams players. Toronto has the financial muscle to pull it off. $30m over 10 or so years to buy out Lecavalier - that'd have to be worth 4th overall (Barker/Druin). Lecavalier loves Tampa, he'd resign there on a much better contract. I doubt the league would intervene unless it felt the deals were about cap circumvention rather than about escaping a bad contract. Amnesty buyouts are provided for sole reason of escaping bad contracts the league can't complain when they are used as such.

The cocked up the wording on the details I saw to allow too much room. I mean, Tampa could buy out Lecavalier, Lecavalier could do a one year deal in Chicago, then return for league min in Tampa a year after being bought out.

Last edited by me2: 04-07-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Old
04-07-2013, 08:39 AM
ginner classic

Quote:
the Yotes are run by the NHL they aren't really going to be progressive in their spending are they?
Thay are not going to leave them without a starter.smith is rumoured to be asking for more than lou is making. Cory's salary would not pose an issue.

They did pay doan a pretty penny.

Old
04-07-2013, 09:01 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
If Gillis had insider information that the Sedins were done, what would it look like? He'd grab a top six center now, right? Roy is the best under thirty center slated for free agency. The other FA options aren't much anyway, if youth is an issue. Cervenka and Wellwood are also under thirty. Roy is affordable at about five million and young enough to give him a longer term if you are certain it's a fit.

No Sedins means plenty of cap room. It also signifies a shift in leadership. Bieksa is my choice for Captain and I don't think having an awesome veteran back-up would concern me next season. Even if I chose to rely on him as the starter, I think I'd be okay with that. Leadership from the goalie is a real confidence builder. Anyway, after next season the cap will be less of an issue as the team gets younger and the cap grows. NP!
They aren't done but declining production for the 3rd straight year despite their heavy offensive zone starts should tell Gillis and the Canucks something right?

Old
04-07-2013, 09:21 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Tampa would have given us more for Schnieder then what they paid for Bishop. (24 yo Cory Conacher, 9 goals, 15 assist this year)
You are still avoiding the question, name players and draft picks a team might offer the Canucks for Schneider and how it would help the canucks right now.

TB has chosen the Bishop route so they would be out, Philly has Mason and Brz still so who exactly needs a goalie and will pay what the Canucks need or even want?

Old
04-07-2013, 09:22 AM
Canucker

Quote:
They aren't done but declining production for the 3rd straight year despite their heavy offensive zone starts should tell Gillis and the Canucks something right?
Yup, it should tell him that we need to find a new PP coach because that's where most of their production has been lost.

Old
04-07-2013, 09:30 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
Thay are not going to leave them without a starter.smith is rumoured to be asking for more than lou is making. Cory's salary would not pose an issue.

They did pay Doan a pretty penny.
So you don't think they might look for cheaper options, both in cost and salary in the desert?

What exactly do you think the Yotes would trade back to the Canucks for Schneider?

They are heavy on the back end and short on forwards so it's hardly a good fit for a trade.

Old
04-07-2013, 09:32 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Yup, it should tell him that we need to find a new PP coach because that's where most of their production has been lost.
Does that mean you don't think they are declining?

No player loses that much production over 4 years simply just from the PP

Old
04-07-2013, 09:42 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post

1. the original plan was to trade Schneider ... how far back are we going? When Lou's contract was signed? When Cory's contract was signed?

2. no doubt the Canucks have a challenging situation. Right now Schneids is playing lights out hockey. So the Canucks accept they have a problem and trade Schneids in the off season? A number of posters have alluded to this, but I have seen no evidence of this.

3. Luo has been classy and professional. He could have forced the Canucks and MG by refusing to waive his NTC. There options would be very limited.

4. A big part of this problem is the league. They have changed the rules midstream by adding in the penalty clauses.
I agree with this but the Canucks have a 1/30th vote at the table here and they reap the benefits of increased revenues so let's not hand out a collection plate for them yet.

The only real penalty is the reduced Cap hit next year though which would ahve been a small problem under the old contract as well, it's just a bigger one now.

Old
04-07-2013, 10:29 AM
ginner classic

Quote:
You are still avoiding the question, name players and draft picks a team might offer the Canucks for Schneider and how it would help the canucks right now.

TB has chosen the Bishop route so they would be out, Philly has Mason and Brz still so who exactly needs a goalie and will pay what the Canucks need or even want?
Unless someone is a GM I don't think anyone, including that poster, could definitively answer that question.

Are you seriously suggesting Mason has answered the goalie problem in Philly? Really?

Last edited by ginner classic: 04-07-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old
04-07-2013, 10:33 AM
ginner classic

Quote:
So you don't think they might look for cheaper options, both in cost and salary in the desert?

What exactly do you think the Yotes would trade back to the Canucks for Schneider?

They are heavy on the back end and short on forwards so it's hardly a good fit for a trade.
I don't really need to answer that question. Like every other team they need a starting goalie if Smith leaves. Same for Minny if Backstrom leaves, Miller in Buffalo etc. The point being, the availbility of those players does not create a glut this year.

The only goalie that is adding to the 'pool' this year is Bernier as I don't see Hiller leaving Anaheim until mid-season at the earliest.

There will be plenty of demand if Schneider is ever made available. I don't think I need to expand beyond what I put in that thread.

Old
04-07-2013, 11:22 AM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post

As of June 29 2012 when Schnieder signed his new deal, Cory was expected to be traded. His agent told him he would likely be traded.

Closed Thread