HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Scout mock drafts: NHL scouts agree -- Jones will be No. 1 pick

Old
04-06-2013, 02:13 AM
17Kurri

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Too many people like MacKinnon because of his 15 year old hype "OMG NOVA SCOTIA! SHATTUCKS ST. MARY'S!! CROSBY!!!!!!!!!!"

If I'm picking 1st I'm grabbing Jones. If I'm picking 2nd I'm grabbing Drouin. Kid's been the better player this year.
That's like saying too many people like Jones because he's Popeye Jones' son. Ridiculous, either way.

Both guys have earned their stripes. And both of them have done enough to warrant #1 overall consideration. If anything, imo, it's Drouin who's on the outside looking in, despite his impressive season.

17Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 08:28 AM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarry Curry View Post
Seriously. What the **** is this?
When did he ever even hinted that with his play?
I gather you haven't watched him at the WJC...

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:44 AM
Sundinisagod
Mattrick

Quote:
Yeah, well you'll be getting a reckless body snatcher.
It's not necessarely a bad thing. But I don't think toughness is something the Leafs would be after.
Leafs need a quality right handed defenseman with top pairing potential...doesn't need to be very offensively gifted.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 11:01 AM
ponder

The Eastern scout has Lindholm at 10th overall, I'll be shocked if he falls that far.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 12:08 PM
tikkanen5rings*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
I've seen his whole career.
Nothing suggests he'll be anything more than a Dion Phaneuf without the shot and playmaking abilities.
I'm fairly confident that I get the last laugh.

tikkanen5rings* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 12:44 PM
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
To be fair, I'm not a big fan of the WJC or really any short international tournaments when it comes to scouting players for a reason. Sometimes they can be spot on, and sometimes it can make you think players like Igor Knyazev, Sami Lepisto, and Pavel Skrbek are stars in the making. It can be a good indicator, or it can completely blow things out of proportion for a player that just doesn't have it over the long haul. I love the WJC as far as exposing me to players goes, but I hate it for how people (not saying you're doing it here) will tend to run with it as a narrative for the players career until they reach the NHL and reality sets in. Even then it'll buy a severely inadequate player a lot of time.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 12:48 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Too many people like MacKinnon because of his 15 year old hype "OMG NOVA SCOTIA! SHATTUCKS ST. MARY'S!! CROSBY!!!!!!!!!!"

If I'm picking 1st I'm grabbing Jones. If I'm picking 2nd I'm grabbing Drouin. Kid's been the better player this year.
Too many people merely look at point totals for their rankings. Mackinnon has the better NHL skill set. His game will transfer to the NHL more smoothly than either Drouin or Jones imo.

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 12:48 PM
Gaps

Quote:
I've seen his whole career.
Nothing suggests he'll be anything more than a Dion Phaneuf without the shot and playmaking abilities.
I'm fairly confident that I get the last laugh.
Defensemen are always hard to predict. I wouldn't be so confident if I were you. I don't know which games you've been watching, but right now Ristolainen's offense is better than his defensive side. He also has playmaking ability and a decent enough shot. It's hard to understand how you manage to see the total opposite.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 01:00 PM
Sundinisagod
Mattrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
Defensemen are always hard to predict. I wouldn't be so confident if I were you. I don't know which games you've been watching, but right now Ristolainen's offense is better than his defensive side. He also has playmaking ability and a decent enough shot. It's hard to understand how you manage to see the total opposite.

I haven't seen enough to hold a strong opinion personally, but fwiw Craig Button doesn't appear to be sold on him either...at least that's what his rankings would indicate. He looks great to me, but my sampling size is small.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 02:40 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
I haven't seen enough to hold a strong opinion personally, but fwiw Craig Button doesn't appear to be sold on him either...at least that's what his rankings would indicate. He looks great to me, but my sampling size is small.
The main problem for me when your choices are forward vs defensemen is the forward is more likely to progress faster and you will see quick dividends on your pick. With a Defenseman he probably won't hit his peak till mid to late 20s

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 12:35 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Eastern Scout
ORDER TEAM PLAYER SKINNY
1 FLA - Seth Jones, D, Portland (WHL) A big stud defenseman that every team covets; a stabilizing influence on the back end.
2 WSH - Nathan MacKinnon, C, Halifax (QMJHL) An explosive skater with an impressive combination of speed and skill.
3 BUF - Jonathan Drouin, LW, Halifax (QMJHL) Quick and creative offensive talent with quick-strike snipe ability.
4 TBL - Aleksander Barkov, C, Tappara (FIN) Big Finn plays a mature game. He's already racked up impressive numbers in top Finnish league.
5 COL - Valeri Nichushkin, RW, Chelyabinsk 2 (RUS-JR.) Big Russian is a dominant offensive force with outstanding skill; reminds one of Evgeni Malkin.
6 CGY - Sean Monahan, C, Ottawa (OHL) An intelligent playmaking center, he's a great set-up man who creates opportunities for his linemates with a finishing touch.
7 PHI - Rasmus Ristolainen, D, TPS (Finland) Defender from Finland is big, strong and nasty -- a fit for the Flyers.
8 CBJ - Darnell Nurse, D, Sault Ste. Marie (OHL) A smooth-skating, hard-hitting blueliner with great size.
9 EDM - Nikita Zadorov, D, London (OHL) An imposing physical presence who makes his presence felt; he hits to hurt.
10 NYI - Elias Lindholm, C, Brynas (SWE) A skilled, smooth-skating Swede who brings high energy and effort every shift.
11 DAL - Alexander Wennberg, C, Djurgarden (SWE-2) A versatile Swede with a well-rounded, two-way game.
12 NSH - Max Domi, C/LW, London (OHL) Compact skill package with speed and high hockey IQ; would be a fan favorite in Nashville.

The standings were out of date when the above article was published. Now another week or two later their mock looks even stranger. So, based on today's standings, below would be my adjusted top dozen mock for the eastern scout...

1. FLA - Seth Jones (D) - Jones goes first no matter who picks, but I'd prefer he went to COL
2. COL - Jon Drouin - they take the BPA, plus this winger fits better than another C
3. CGY - Nate MacKinnon - potential franchise C for a team that desparately needs one
4. CAR - Alex Barkov - could push one of the Staals to wing down the line
5. TBL - Val Nichushkin - the Ning are no strangers to taking Russians (Kucherov, Namestinikov, & the goalie from last year)
6. PHI - Darnell Nurse (D) - the Flyers get a Pronger-lite -- hopefully he's not rushed though
7. NSH - Elias Lindholm - the Preds get a fellow Swede to center newly acquired Forsberg (both with '94 birthdays)
8. EDM - Sean Monahan - the Oilers take their future Horcoff replacement (3C with 2C upside)
9. NJD - Hunter Shinkaruk - a scoring winger to fill the hole left by Parise
10. BUF - Rasmus Ristolainen (D) - a huge d-man to complement all of the young Sabre fwds
11. PHX - Alex Wennberg - Yotes finally take a forward after all these years
12. WPG - Ryan Pulock (D) - the Jets take a fine blueliner who also happens to be from the province of MB

Last edited by JawandaPuck: 04-15-2013 at 12:41 PM.
JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 01:15 PM
Henderson19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Eastern Scout
ORDER TEAM PLAYER SKINNY
1 FLA - Seth Jones, D, Portland (WHL) A big stud defenseman that every team covets; a stabilizing influence on the back end.
2 WSH - Nathan MacKinnon, C, Halifax (QMJHL) An explosive skater with an impressive combination of speed and skill.
3 BUF - Jonathan Drouin, LW, Halifax (QMJHL) Quick and creative offensive talent with quick-strike snipe ability.
4 TBL - Aleksander Barkov, C, Tappara (FIN) Big Finn plays a mature game. He's already racked up impressive numbers in top Finnish league.
5 COL - Valeri Nichushkin, RW, Chelyabinsk 2 (RUS-JR.) Big Russian is a dominant offensive force with outstanding skill; reminds one of Evgeni Malkin.
6 CGY - Sean Monahan, C, Ottawa (OHL) An intelligent playmaking center, he's a great set-up man who creates opportunities for his linemates with a finishing touch.
7 PHI - Rasmus Ristolainen, D, TPS (Finland) Defender from Finland is big, strong and nasty -- a fit for the Flyers.
8 CBJ - Darnell Nurse, D, Sault Ste. Marie (OHL) A smooth-skating, hard-hitting blueliner with great size.
9 EDM - Nikita Zadorov, D, London (OHL) An imposing physical presence who makes his presence felt; he hits to hurt.
10 NYI - Elias Lindholm, C, Brynas (SWE) A skilled, smooth-skating Swede who brings high energy and effort every shift.
11 DAL - Alexander Wennberg, C, Djurgarden (SWE-2) A versatile Swede with a well-rounded, two-way game.
12 NSH - Max Domi, C/LW, London (OHL) Compact skill package with speed and high hockey IQ; would be a fan favorite in Nashville.

The standings were out of date when the above article was published. Now another week or two later their mock looks even stranger. So, based on today's standings, below would be my adjusted top dozen mock for the eastern scout...

1. FLA - Seth Jones (D) - Jones goes first no matter who picks, but I'd prefer he went to COL
2. COL - Jon Drouin - they take the BPA, plus this winger fits better than another C
3. CGY - Nate MacKinnon - potential franchise C for a team that desparately needs one
4. CAR - Alex Barkov - could push one of the Staals to wing down the line
5. TBL - Val Nichushkin - the Ning are no strangers to taking Russians (Kucherov, Namestinikov, & the goalie from last year)
6. PHI - Darnell Nurse (D) - the Flyers get a Pronger-lite -- hopefully he's not rushed though
7. NSH - Elias Lindholm - the Preds get a fellow Swede to center newly acquired Forsberg (both with '94 birthdays)
8. EDM - Sean Monahan - the Oilers take their future Horcoff replacement (3C with 2C upside)
9. NJD - Hunter Shinkaruk - a scoring winger to fill the hole left by Parise
10. BUF - Rasmus Ristolainen (D) - a huge d-man to complement all of the young Sabre fwds
11. PHX - Alex Wennberg - Yotes finally take a forward after all these years
12. WPG - Ryan Pulock (D) - the Jets take a fine blueliner who also happens to be from the province of MB
Totally plausible.

That said, still could see Florida deciding MacKinnon is perfect for Huberdeau. Colorado needs either Jones or Drouin, but not MacKinnon as much. Makes one wonder if there will be some jockeying at the top, similar to 2002...

Henderson19 is offline   Reply With Quote