HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk II

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2013, 06:25 PM
thefeebster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I can see why some scouts are high on Burakowsky, he's fast, has hands that keep up to his feet, and is creative with the puck, both in passing and attacking defenders.
I thought he was just okay, better than what i saw in the Allsvenskan. You can see the skill, but there is just something about his game i don't like. He is flash and dash in the way he skates and handles the puck but accomplishes nothing in the end, rubbed out on the boards or loses possession. That's what i saw with Malmo.

Wouldn't want him in the first, but that's just me.

-----------

Saw your discussion about Theodore in the main forum.

Maybe its just me, but I am not seeing the great skating defenseman those other posters see. Watching the U18, seeing all those Dmen skating together, I'd say Theodore isn't in the top 3 for skating. Soft in his own zone and sometimes seems to try to avoid hits. Won't take a hit to make a play sometimes.

----

Gauthier, i thought had a weak and invisible game against Sweden. Then was good in the 2nd game, very good in the 3rd game against the Finns.

I'm going to try to record all of these games and then do some videos. Nice quality from TSN.

Old
04-26-2013, 06:27 PM
StringerBell

Does anyone else see some Kadri in Max Domi?

Old
04-26-2013, 06:58 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1800
I actually like Theodore, and wouldn't mind taking him at around 25+ depending on who's available.

I definitely like Morrissey better. And Ristolainen over both of them.

Old
04-26-2013, 09:05 PM
StringerBell

Max Domi had an unbelievable game tonight. There's no way he's slipping to us.

Old
04-26-2013, 09:33 PM
jigsaw99

Yeah Lazar all the way if available to us. Has one of the best stats in the 2nd have of the season out of all the prospects.

Though i really like OHL picks such as: Rychel, Domi just based on our track record with the O lately.

No to the Q and their power forwards such William Carrier (feels like that's the type of pick out scouts like...) Take Mantra if he's available which i doubt

Old
04-27-2013, 02:13 AM
Ronning On Empty
Formerly BleachClean

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Max Domi had an unbelievable game tonight. There's no way he's slipping to us.
Zykov had a great game as well. If recent play is the biggest factor, neither should fall to 26th. Yet, if that's how the weighting goes, then Erne should be. So at least something good should be there regardless. Hartman is climbing lists. As are Compher, Petan and others. There should be an equal "fall" for prospects viewed as better bets earlier in the season.

I'm more confident of a good "faller" in this draft than I have been in others. A lot of moving parts for 2013.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:07 AM
Garth Butcher

I'd rather the nucks pick parts that they need instead of picking the "best player available" we need BIG power forwards, Centers and wingers, that have speed and the ability to find the back of the net. I would also like to see a BIG punishing defender with a 2 way game. no more picking small skilled players. Look at edmonton picking at the top of the draft for how many years? all the small skilled guys ain't getting it done for them. just ask the coaches and GMs that have been fired there over the years.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:20 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth Butcher View Post
I'd rather the nucks pick parts that they need instead of picking the "best player available" we need BIG power forwards, Centers and wingers, that have speed and the ability to find the back of the net. I would also like to see a BIG punishing defender with a 2 way game. no more picking small skilled players. Look at edmonton picking at the top of the draft for how many years? all the small skilled guys ain't getting it done for them. just ask the coaches and GMs that have been fired there over the years.
They can trade one of those guys for what they need. Picking for need is how you end up drafting like Nonis and Burke. Horrible strategy.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:42 AM
Garth Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
They can trade one of those guys for what they need. Picking for need is how you end up drafting like Nonis and Burke. Horrible strategy.
they have been doing that for years and not being able to trade for what they need. so time to pick them and develope them in the minors.

Old
04-27-2013, 12:06 PM
Trelane

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=667662

3 New NHL.com mock drafts.

Lazar is available to us on all of them. Our picks are Horvat, Petan, and Rychel...and that is how I favour them.

No Ristolainen in the 1st on one, no Morrissey in the 1st on another, and no Lazar in the 1st on one as well.

Also, I don't understand how NHL.com doesn't know the rules. We are locked in to picking 26th.
Are we? My interpretation of draft order rules in conjunction with playoff outcome is:

30-27 champs, finalists, remaining final 4
26-15 regular season division winners followed by lower seated teams

Assuming we and some other divisional winners, 4 of whom have higher point totals, check out in the first two rounds, our placement could be anywhere from 22-26.

Correction is welcomed.

Means diddly squat in the probability of drafting a better player sense, but it could mean 15 fewer tension minutes for some prior to MG taking the podium.

Old
04-27-2013, 12:23 PM
Lundface*

Quote:
they have been doing that for years and not being able to trade for what they need. so time to pick them and develope them in the minors.
And then you open your eyes and realize how we picked up Kassian....

Old
04-27-2013, 12:45 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelane View Post
Correction is welcomed.
From what i can see, you are correct.

If any of PITT, BOS, CHI, or ANA get eliminated before the CF and we are eliminated as well, we'd select before them.

Last edited by thefeebster: 04-27-2013 at 12:50 PM. Reason: too early in the morning!
Old
04-27-2013, 12:56 PM
Garth Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundface View Post
And then you open your eyes and realize how we picked up Kassian....
I like kassian. not exactly sure if he will develope though. wish AV would put him with the sedins and leave him there. He does well with them aswell as giving them protection from the abuse they will draw in the playoff. ya know the stuff the refs seem to not see.

Old
04-27-2013, 01:01 PM
Garth Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post

not to mention when you want to trade from a strength you have for say something like a power forward, every other team is after the same type of player and no one wants to give them up. Which drives the price through the roof and you give up way to many assets for a guy that may or may not help you and is usually past his prime.

Old
04-27-2013, 01:08 PM
Alexistheman

Quote:
What you need today, isnt what you need tomorrow.

Old
04-27-2013, 01:08 PM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
I thought he was just okay, better than what i saw in the Allsvenskan. You can see the skill, but there is just something about his game i don't like. He is flash and dash in the way he skates and handles the puck but accomplishes nothing in the end, rubbed out on the boards or loses possession. That's what i saw with Malmo.

Wouldn't want him in the first, but that's just me.

-----------

Saw your discussion about Theodore in the main forum.

Maybe its just me, but I am not seeing the great skating defenseman those other posters see. Watching the U18, seeing all those Dmen skating together, I'd say Theodore isn't in the top 3 for skating. Soft in his own zone and sometimes seems to try to avoid hits. Won't take a hit to make a play sometimes.

----

Gauthier, i thought had a weak and invisible game against Sweden. Then was good in the 2nd game, very good in the 3rd game against the Finns.

I'm going to try to record all of these games and then do some videos. Nice quality from TSN.
The skill of Burakovsky is high, but like you said if it doesn't get you scoring chances it doesn't matter.

No in the 1st for me also.

--------

Those posters all over Theodore I imagine haven't seen too much and like his height and goals. My pet peeve is to say "look at so and So's stats, there better than so and so's and he's on a bad team".

Morrissey is a much better hockey player.

Agree with your assessment. No to him in the 1st.

--------

Still haven't watched the QF and semi finals games. But definitely want to get a good viewing on a good Gauthier game.

Old
04-27-2013, 01:57 PM
Lundface*

Quote:
not to mention when you want to trade from a strength you have for say something like a power forward, every other team is after the same type of player and no one wants to give them up. Which drives the price through the roof and you give up way to many assets for a guy that may or may not help you and is usually past his prime.
Let's use a recent example. What was the better decision drafting the better player in Hodgson or drafting Beach instead ? Your needs will always change and if you add good players you can always trade them later on.

Old
04-27-2013, 02:17 PM
mriswith

Quote:
Look at edmonton picking at the top of the draft for how many years? all the small skilled guys ain't getting it done for them. just ask the coaches and GMs that have been fired there over the years.
Not that your post really needs to be dismantled further, but yes let's look at Edmonton. The top picks and young guns are literally the only ones getting anything done over there. The problem with Edmonton is inept management and an inability to build a supporting cast for their star players.

It has absolutely nothing to do with "small skilled guys." I'd trade Kassian or Bieksa for any of their top 4 forwards instantly. I'd trade Kesler for RNH or Hall and wouldn't think twice about it. If there's a substantially more skilled player, you go with them despite a size or grit difference.

Looking at our own team, the Sedins are what make us relevant and contenders. Power forwards are overrated imo.

Old
04-27-2013, 02:40 PM
Garth Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by schism View Post
Not that your post really needs to be dismantled further, but yes let's look at Edmonton. The top picks and young guns are literally the only ones getting anything done over there. The problem with Edmonton is inept management and an inability to build a supporting cast for their star players.

It has absolutely nothing to do with "small skilled guys." I'd trade Kassian or Bieksa for any of their top 4 forwards instantly. I'd trade Kesler for RNH or Hall and wouldn't think twice about it. If there's a substantially more skilled player, you go with them despite a size or grit difference.

Looking at our own team, the Sedins are what make us relevant and contenders. Power forwards are overrated imo.
and exactly what have the sedins done in the playoffs? kesler is good in the playoffs, so far your smaller skilled example disappears. and I'll agree one hundred percent they are great in the regular season (small skilled guys) but when the ref's put away the whistle you want the big guys that can power through the crap to get to the goal. if Vancouver had one or two more they'd have a cup instead of coming in second 2 years ago. look at penner, byfuglien, seguin, maybe not the best guys points wise during the season but look out in the playoffs. and no I'm not saying they suck during the regular season... penner maybe I think the team should be drafting for needs with an eye on the future and what they might need. not that you over look a can't miss guy thats not exactly what you need. you gotta use some common sense too.

Old
04-27-2013, 02:51 PM
mriswith

Quote:
and exactly what have the sedins done in the playoffs? kesler is good in the playoffs, so far your smaller skilled example disappears.
What? The Sedins are better than Kesler in the playoffs; Kesler has really only had one good playoff series so far. Sedins are ppg.

For a stronger example of taking obviously more skilled players over power forwards, I'd take either Sedin over Lucic easily as well. As good as power forwards are supposed to be in the playoffs, Lucic was almost a plug when he played against. The only noteworthy thing he did in the finals was absorb a hipcheck that Hamhuis hurt himself delivering. Meanwhile Marchand piled up points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexistheman
What you need today, isnt what you need tomorrow.
Good post.

Old
04-27-2013, 03:01 PM
LiquidSnake

Quote:
and exactly what have the sedins done in the playoffs? kesler is good in the playoffs, so far your smaller skilled example disappears. and I'll agree one hundred percent they are great in the regular season (small skilled guys) but when the ref's put away the whistle you want the big guys that can power through the crap to get to the goal. if Vancouver had one or two more they'd have a cup instead of coming in second 2 years ago. look at penner, byfuglien, seguin, maybe not the best guys points wise during the season but look out in the playoffs. and no I'm not saying they suck during the regular season... penner maybe I think the team should be drafting for needs with an eye on the future and what they might need. not that you over look a can't miss guy thats not exactly what you need. you gotta use some common sense too.
Kesler better than the Sedins in the playoffs is ridiculous.

Seguin was not the reason the Bruins won the Cup.

Neither is Penner and Byfuglien. They had guys like Selanne, Niedermayer, Pronger, Toews, Kane, Keith, Quick etc

Old
04-27-2013, 03:24 PM
Garth Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Kesler better than the Sedins in the playoffs is ridiculous.

Seguin was not the reason the Bruins won the Cup.

Neither is Penner and Byfuglien. They had guys like Selanne, Niedermayer, Pronger, Toews, Kane, Keith, Quick etc

umm besides selanne those guys have size and play a physical no? just because I didn't put them up as an example doesn't mean I wouldn't want them. What I have been saying is... You have a team you have a style you pick the players you need in that style. you don't pick a guy thats higher rated that doesn't fit your style or your needs. people have been screaming for a big power forward preferably at center for years in nuck land. what do the nucks usually pick small forwards or skilled D. what have our needs been for years or weakness come playoffs year after year... a big power forward. as always you'd prefer more skill and speed. as for kesler not "getting" as many point as either sedin in the playoffs well thats simple, because he has been tasked to go against the opposition's best line year after year. not to mention in the cup run he was injured that after he pushed through the playoffs required surgery and caused him to miss a big part of the following season if you recall. well I'm not a gm but after watching the nucks lose out when they were the team to be. watching the sedins get pounded game after game. and people talking conspiracy for none calls ect.... not to mention people saying the nucks didn't have enough grit... that it would make sense to go bigger and to go for what you need. but hey y'all what your smaller forwards go for it.

Last edited by Garth Butcher: 04-27-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old
04-27-2013, 03:30 PM
LiquidSnake

Quote:
umm besides selanne those guys have size and play a physical no? just because I didn't put them up as an example doesn't mean I wouldn't want them. What I have been saying is... You have a team you have a style you pick the players you need in that style. you don't pick a guy thats higher rated that doesn't fit your style or your needs. people have been screaming for a big power forward preferably at center for years in nuck land. what do the nucks usually pick small forwards or skilled D. what have ower needs been for years or weakness come playoffs year after year... a big power forward. as always you'd prefer more skill and speed. as fer kesler not "getting" as many point as either sedin in the playoffs well thats simple, because he has been tasked to go against the opposition's best line year after year. not to mention in the cup run he was injured that after he pushed through the playoffs required surgery and caused him to miss a big part of the following season if you recall. well I'm not a gm but after watching the nucks lose out when they were the team to be. watching the sedins get pounded game after game. and people talking conspiracy for none calls ect.... not to mention people saying the nucks didn't have enough grit... that it would make sense to go bigger and to go for what you need. but hey y'all what your smaller forwards go for it.
This is impossible to read.

If this team had all size and grit and little to no skill like you wanted, they'd be picking 1st overall for the next decade. And drafting based on penalty minutes.

There's a good balance between skill and size that every team needs to have. Stating things like Kesler has been good in the playoffs while the Sedins haven't makes me question what you're watching. And to add to your shutdown argument, the Sedins play against the other teams' top defenders and shutdown players. Kesler plays offense vs players that aren't defensively responsible. It works both ways.

Old
04-27-2013, 03:33 PM
Pip

vCash: 50
Skill guys perform in the playoffs just fine

P Kane
B Marchand
D Briere
M St Louis

You need to pick the best player, who is most likely to make the NHL, not reach for some PWF when even guys like Lucic struggle in post season.

Old
04-27-2013, 03:34 PM
Garth Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
This is impossible to read.

If this team had all size and grit and little to no skill like you wanted, they'd be picking 1st overall for the next decade. And drafting based on penalty minutes.

There's a good balance between skill and size that every team needs to have. Stating things like Kesler has been good in the playoffs while the Sedins haven't makes me question what you're watching. And to add to your shutdown argument, the Sedins play against the other teams' top defenders and shutdown players. Kesler plays offense vs players that aren't defensively responsible. It works both ways.
where did I say to pick based o penalty minutes and when did I ever say that you can not get size and skill in one guy? next you say I want slow with two left hands too

Last edited by Garth Butcher: 04-27-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Closed Thread