HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk II

Closed Thread

Old
04-27-2013, 04:53 PM
Garth Butcher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally a defenseman at the start of the 200708 season, he was moved to a right wing position to give the team a larger body near the net, an experiment that proved successful. In the 2010-2011 All-Star Game's Skill Competition his slap shot was clocked at 102.5 mph.
from - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dustin_Byfuglien

you can't argue with wikipedia

Old
04-27-2013, 05:35 PM
LiquidSnake

Power forward:

Old
04-27-2013, 06:29 PM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth Butcher View Post
I like kassian. not exactly sure if he will develope though. wish AV would put him with the sedins and leave him there. He does well with them aswell as giving them protection from the abuse they will draw in the playoff. ya know the stuff the refs seem to not see.
You like kassian but you're not sure if he'll develop but you want to go after a bunch more big guys?

Take skill. Augment your skilled team with big forwards.

Big skill is always nice to have too.

Old
04-27-2013, 07:09 PM
SaintSinner

Arsmaster and/or feebster, you guys seem to be the most knowledgeable about the draft. Could either one of you give me your opinions on Alexander Wennberg? I just picked up THN's 2013 Draft Preview, and what I read about him intrigues me.

Old
04-27-2013, 07:24 PM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintSinner View Post
Arsmaster and/or feebster, you guys seem to be the most knowledgeable about the draft. Could either one of you give me your opinions on Alexander Wennberg? I just picked up THN's 2013 Draft Preview, and what I read about him intrigues me.
The feebster has watched 30+ games of Wennberg.

He's your guy. Try to do a search on the prospects thread, I believe thefeebster might have even made a video.

Old
04-27-2013, 09:09 PM
Garth Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
You like kassian but you're not sure if he'll develop but you want to go after a bunch more big guys?

Big skill is always nice to have too.

I'm saying kassian has skill, but skill isn't always enough. or not all skilled guys can put it together and be a force. I like when kassian plows to the net, or gets in the right spot to hammer it home from a sedin pass, (only one better at that on the team is burrows). I like that he is willing to take anyone on for his team mates. I like that he can go into the corner and rock the Rock the Casbah! I think he's misused by AV, one day he's in as a top 6 next day he's on the for line. I like him playing with the sedins. leave him there for a few months and see how he does. most of his points came from playing with the twins.

Quote:
why can't you have have both in one body? pretty sure there's no rule only small guys have skill. I don't want a team full dave dave semenkos. but a a team full of huge skilled forwards. and chris pronger, chris chelios, zdeno chara on D. A forward I used to love and wished he was a nuck was owen nolan. big tough skilled guy. peter forsberg too. when they wanted a goal in the last minute of a game, boy they were hard to stop.

Last edited by Garth Butcher: 04-27-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old
04-27-2013, 09:16 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
why can't you have have both? pretty sure there's no rule only small guys have skill. I don't want a team full dave dave semenkos. but a a team full of huge skilled forwards. and chris pronger, chris chelios, zdeno chara on D. A forward I used to love and wished he was a nuck was owen nolan. big tough skilled guy. peter forsberg too. when they wanted a goal in the last minute of a game, boy they were hard to stop.
You can't just will to existence the things you want. That's one of the reason why drafting by need is dumb. You're passing up the consensus best player to draft a guy who could very well be ranked 10-20 spots below, have less potential, etc. simply because he fits the current need. Which brings us to the 2nd reason and that's the fact that by the time this prospect actually develops, your needs have very likely changed.

Old
04-27-2013, 09:22 PM
Garth Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
You can't just will to existence the things you want. That's one of the reason why drafting by need is dumb. You're passing up the consensus best player to draft a guy who could very well be ranked 10-20 spots below, have less potential, etc. simply because he fits the current need. Which brings us to the 2nd reason and that's the fact that by the time this prospect actually develops, your needs have very likely changed.
yah like drafting the best guy available and trading him away where he becomes a star has worked so good for the nucks

Old
04-27-2013, 09:27 PM
Pip
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
yah like drafting the best guy available and trading him away where he becomes a star has worked so good for the nucks
Cody Hodgson is a star?

Also it is best to draft BPA, then if you are overstocked at a position you can trade for team need.

Old
04-27-2013, 09:40 PM
Garth Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
Cody Hodgson is a star?

Also it is best to draft BPA, then if you are overstocked at a position you can trade for team need.
lmao I was not referring to him. a few names that come to mind are cam neely, glen wesly, and michael grabner. the later two may not be stars but wesley had a long solid career. grabner oy was traded then waived, then pops up as a snipper with the islanders. wouldn't ya love to have him still for the 2nd line?

as for hodgeson, he is a good hockey player, but is he worth the headache he was causing here? he would never of been happy as a 3rd line center even if he had been here filling in as 2nd line center while kesler was hurt. He really did make our 2nd pp unit rock when he was here. I am happy with the kassian/hodgeson deal. and I hope in years to come people will say we one that trade. as of now not so much. imho

Last edited by Garth Butcher: 04-27-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old
04-27-2013, 09:49 PM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Big and skilled also gets you viktor kozlov, Dustin penner types.

Skill, competitiveness, tenacity and hockey IQ are all more desirable than size. If the players are close in all those other categories then sure, take the size.

Size cannot be the driving factor and for as much as people think Gillis has trended that way, I still think he's trying to get the hockey IQ first and foremost.

Old
04-27-2013, 09:54 PM
Pip
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
lmao I was not referring to him. a few names that come to mind are cam neely, glen wesly, and michael grabner. the later two may not be stars but wesley had a long solid career. grabner oy was traded then waived, then pops up as a snipper with the islanders. wouldn't ya love to have him still for the 2nd line?

as for hodgeson, he is a good hockey player, but is he worth the headache he was causing here? he would never of been happy as a 3rd line center even if he had been here filling in as 2nd line center while kesler was hurt. He really did make our 2nd pp unit rock when he was here. I am happy with the kassian/hodgeson deal. and I hope in years to come people will say we one that trade. as of now not so much. imho
my bad, that always seems to be the one people reference nowadays

We can't really take examples from other management, but the Grabner situation was also not as clear cut as it may seem now.

Old
04-27-2013, 09:55 PM
Garth Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Big and skilled also gets you viktor kozlov, Dustin penner types.

Skill, competitiveness, tenacity and hockey IQ are all more desirable than size. If the players are close in all those other categories then sure, take the size.

Size cannot be the driving factor and for as much as people think Gillis has trended that way, I still think he's trying to get the hockey IQ first and foremost.
I think so too, but what the nucks have been missing is size and grit. I named a few players off earlier that would fit my mold. mario lemieux would be another. I agree you can't teach hockey smarts and thats what I think a lot of guys with all the skill in the world are missing. that or drive.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:33 PM
Son of a Dawson
Bo Knows Hockey

So if the Canucks don't win the Stanley Cup and fail to win the upcoming lottery, will they be picking 25th overall based on the final standings/division winners? Sounds about right no??

Old
04-27-2013, 11:39 PM
Son of a Dawson
Bo Knows Hockey

edit: 26th overall

Old
04-27-2013, 11:55 PM
Garth Butcher

sounds right. another year of late round draft picks.

Old
04-28-2013, 01:04 AM
CanaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of a Dawson View Post
So if the Canucks don't win the Stanley Cup and fail to win the upcoming lottery, will they be picking 25th overall based on the final standings/division winners? Sounds about right no??
Can't win the lottery when you make the playoffs ...

Old
04-28-2013, 01:43 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintSinner View Post
I like him, but i can see other teams having him really high on their list.

I watched most of his games in Djurgarden. The thing that you notice first about him is his hockey IQ. He can anticipate the plays well, understands the game very well defensively, and has good vision in making plays. He was used on the PK a lot, shows good defensive awareness. The 2nd thing is his skating ability. It is effortless. He is such a smooth skater, who has good speed, but also good agility. He is elusive like a stereotypical russian, and his skating is a major reason for that.

He also handles the puck like a Russian, good hands and shifty. He is a good playmaker and often creates a lot of offense because that. But he also has a very good release, could stand to shoot more. He is not afraid to get in the corners and work for the puck. Good at protecting the puck, in the same style as the Sedins. He is also fairly versatile; can play wing and C. In his time with Djugarden, he started out on wing, then after about a dozen games moved to center. IMO, he looks better at C, suits his style and his skating ability.

Also, he recently signed on with Frolunda next season, probably didn't want to stay with Djurgarden as they did not get promoted to the SEL.

Pretty much the only concern i have is his frame. In Sweden, they always seem to televise the lockerroom celebrations after the games and interview guys in there. When Wennberg had his equipment off, he has a very slight frame. I can still see his shoulder bones. He'll have to put on some muscle, but at the same time, i think he has that kind of abnormal strength like the Sedins have, being so slight, he can still take a beating on the boards.

tl;dr - He's very good and there's not much to dislike.

Old
04-28-2013, 01:47 AM
Son of a Dawson
Bo Knows Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanaFan View Post
Can't win the lottery when you make the playoffs ...
Course my bad, thanks!

Old
04-28-2013, 12:36 PM
thefeebster

First period, I've seen of Compher. My initial impression is that he plays the game at one speed and one speed only, fast!

McCarron certainly has improved. He is everywhere.

---------------

2nd period thoughts
-Dauphin playing great. Tenacious and creating some of the few offensive chances.
-watching all of these games has really changed my impression of Bowey. He looks damn good. The concerns against him havent really surfaced here. Maybe it's the Kelowna system? He is playing well under Hay.
-Gauthier continues to play solid.
-Really like Connor Clifton, I think he could be a steal.

Last edited by thefeebster: 04-28-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old
04-28-2013, 01:28 PM
B-rock

Quote:

**** no. He's soft as pudding and wouldn't get time on this roster.

Old
04-28-2013, 01:30 PM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
First period, I've seen of Compher. My initial impression is that he plays the game at one speed and one speed only, fast!

McCarron certainly has improved. He is everywhere.

---------------

2nd period thoughts
-Dauphin playing great. Tenacious and creating some of the few offensive chances.
-watching all of these games has really changed my impression of Bowey. He looks damn good. The concerns against him havent really surfaced here. Maybe it's the Kelowna system? He is playing well under Hay.
-Gauthier continues to play solid.
-Really like Connor Clifton, I think he could be a steal.
Just finished the 2nd as well.

USA can skate. And boy do they collapse to the front of the net in their own zone.

Bowey does look like a different player, and although he has scored, I don't think he's having one of his better games in this tournament.

It might be having a little extra space on the big ice.

Gauthier is definitely trending away from the do not draft for me, he's not a "want", but I could get behind that pick.

Old
04-28-2013, 01:41 PM
Bad News Benning
no news is good news

vCash: 200
Send a message via MSN to Bad News Benning
Nick baptiste has been really impressive. Lots of speed power and hustle. Where is he projected to go?

Old
04-28-2013, 01:55 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edler Von Gud View Post
Nick baptiste has been really impressive. Lots of speed power and hustle. Where is he projected to go?
3rd, but he has been rising. Seen him as high as 61.

I've found him inconsistent. When he is playing his game, you cannot take your eyes away. This 3rd period is one of those times. But he's had some invisible periods. Could also be the limited playing time and me just not noticing him.

Old
04-28-2013, 07:16 PM
Garth Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post
**** no. He's soft as pudding and wouldn't get time on this roster.
ummm he's no softer then mason raymond, except he's younger, cheaper and actually puts the puck in the net. way back when... I wanted a line of grabner, hodgeson, raymond. but that never happened.

Last edited by Garth Butcher: 04-28-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Closed Thread