HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk II

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2013, 06:07 PM
thefeebster

vCash: 500
Consensus for once!

MG has stated to the press that he would like to choose one goalie per draft, but last draft was the first time he did not draft one. Will he draft one this time?

Also not well known, Corbiel was called up as part of the black aces. Likely so they can have an even number of 4 goalies. He doesn't have a contract with the Canucks, neither does Honzik. Does this reflect how the Canucks view Honzik?

Old
05-04-2013, 07:12 PM
SiCKNESS

Lazar/Erne/Gauthier with our first.

Players I would like to Pick up in 3rd round and Beyond

WHL:
Jared Hauf
Mitchell Wheaton
Mason Geertsen

OHL
Nick Moutrey

QMJHL
Yan Pavel Laplante

USHL
Michael McCarron
Jon Hayden
Hudson Fasching

Europe:
Peter Cehlárik
Lucas Wallmark
Tobias Liljendahl
Saku Salminen
Amil Krupic
Andrei Mironov

If Myles Bell goes undrafted, we should def sign him if we can?

Old
05-04-2013, 10:20 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Consensus for once!

MG has stated to the press that he would like to choose one goalie per draft, but last draft was the first time he did not draft one. Will he draft one this time?

Also not well known, Corbiel was called up as part of the black aces. Likely so they can have an even number of 4 goalies. He doesn't have a contract with the Canucks, neither does Honzik. Does this reflect how the Canucks view Honzik?
haha damn that's a good catch. yeah, id be surprised if they re-signed honzik

Old
05-04-2013, 10:47 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
I've really warmed up to Valentin Zykov. Although it seems everyone else has too, given that he's been rising steadily in the draft rankings.

There are a lot of guys that I really like, and one of them should be available, but if not, I think we should strongly consider trading our 1st.

Here's the guys I would want us to pick if they're there(including everyone just for simplicities sake, not really in order)

Jones
Mackinnon
Drouin
Barkov
Lindholm
Monahan
Nichushkin
Shinkaruk
Ristolainen
Nurse
Pulock
Domi
Mantha
Zadorov
Morrissey
Lazar
Wennberg
Zykov

And I'd be on the fence for: Gauthier, Rychel, Theodore, Hagg, Horvat, and Erne

In the unlikely event none of these guys are available, I'd want us to move our pick, either to trade down or in a package for a young roster player

Last edited by Vankiller Whale: 05-04-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old
05-05-2013, 12:05 AM
thefeebster

I know you don't like Erne much, but him and Horvat, i think belong in on that top list. I don't really want to trade down this time around and select more project type players. We need a grade A prospect who has a good chance to make it to the NHL within the next two years as the turnover begins.

--------------

Omg, this is crazy. Someone on YT is stealing parts of my prospect videos and passing it off as their own. And then i followed their links and the owner of the channel is a Mod on HF... I feel so used/violated and I am livid since i spent so many hours on this. I've taken down my last 6 videos. I'm going to redo them with a watermark and music. He is stealing all of the ones without music, so you guys are going to have to live with music on every subsequent video!

Old
05-05-2013, 12:55 PM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
I know you don't like Erne much, but him and Horvat, i think belong in on that top list. I don't really want to trade down this time around and select more project type players. We need a grade A prospect who has a good chance to make it to the NHL within the next two years as the turnover begins.

--------------

Omg, this is crazy. Someone on YT is stealing parts of my prospect videos and passing it off as their own. And then i followed their links and the owner of the channel is a Mod on HF... I feel so used/violated and I am livid since i spent so many hours on this. I've taken down my last 6 videos. I'm going to redo them with a watermark and music. He is stealing all of the ones without music, so you guys are going to have to live with music on every subsequent video!
That is such BS Feebs...if only HF had actual talent.

In terms of the draft it just feels like 2008 (maybe even 2003) that there is going to be an Eberle-type talent in 20-26. That's pretty exciting.

Old
05-05-2013, 05:03 PM
arsmaster

Quote:

--------------

That sucks. What mod?

Old
05-05-2013, 05:17 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
That sucks. What mod?
Probably shouldn't name names before we get it settled.

-----------------

Moving onwards, did you end up watching Zykov on Sportsnet? Might have to move to digital TV to get SN One next season! Still haven't really seen him much this year, would be interested in your take. He sounds like a great player.

Old
05-05-2013, 06:00 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Probably shouldn't name names before we get it settled.

-----------------

Moving onwards, did you end up watching Zykov on Sportsnet? Might have to move to digital TV to get SN One next season! Still haven't really seen him much this year, would be interested in your take. He sounds like a great player.
I did watch him.

It was a bit of a strange game.

He is good in the offensive zone, he moves to space quite well. Looks to have a quite large frame for a 6'0" guy.

Hard shot, but missed wide on a really good chance on the PP.

He's not scared of anything. Good edges on his wrap around attempts goes to the crease and stops (no fly byes).

-----
Drouin threw a check in the game that would have been probably a 10 game suspension in the OHL. Only got 2 minutes. Drilled a guy full steam directly in the numbers.

Old
05-05-2013, 08:14 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
so you guys are going to have to live with music on every subsequent video!
your music choice is good but please dont succumb to this just make the watermark unavoidable

Old
05-05-2013, 08:36 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
He is good in the offensive zone, he moves to space quite well. Looks to have a quite large frame for a 6'0" guy.
Listed at 6'1" and 215lbs on the Q website. That's almost as big as Gaunce. IMO he projects really well to the NHL.

Old
05-06-2013, 02:34 AM
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik

Well boys let's start cheering for the other underdogs! What's the situation with picks? Do the 8 losers of round 1 go in order of regular season standing? Or do they wait and put the 12 losers of the first 2 rounds in order?

If it is only hte 8 losers from round 1, the Canucks are guaranteed one team that's better then them losing in LA or STL, then hopefully MTL and BOS get upset as well, we could be looking at a 19th ov pick!

Old
05-06-2013, 11:11 AM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Listed at 6'1" and 215lbs on the Q website. That's almost as big as Gaunce. IMO he projects really well to the NHL.
Why does no one want Adam Tambelini? I would think a local player, with his size and skill level, would be more popular. Hmmm. Lucic? Gallaghar? Weber? Seabrook? etc.

Old
05-06-2013, 11:13 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Why does no one want Adam Tambelini? I would think a local player, with his size and skill level, would be more popular. Hmmm. Lucic? Gallaghar? Weber? Seabrook? etc.
Because he's not a 1st round pick and we don't have a 2nd.

Old
05-06-2013, 11:28 AM
Alflives

Quote:
Because he's not a 1st round pick and we don't have a 2nd.
Maybe, he should be a first round pick? Why do the Canucks continue to overlook the players, who are local? Is there a scouting issue? And why is there no second pick? Oh that's right. It was foolishly traded for a player, who is a softy, when Schroeder could have played that role.

Old
05-06-2013, 11:35 AM
CanaFan

Quote:
Maybe, he should be a first round pick? Why do the Canucks continue to overlook the players, who are local? Is there a scouting issue? And why is there no second pick? Oh that's right. It was foolishly traded for a player, who is a softy, when Schroeder could have played that role.
Because being local isn't some intangible stat that moves a player up in the rankings maybe? If he's good enough to take, then take him but it should have 0% to do with being local. Oh look you can name a few local guys who turned into NHL players, how nice. How about take a look at how many local players DON'T pan out as well. Yep, it's a pretty long list too ...

Old
05-06-2013, 11:51 AM
dc

Quote:
His brother was a first round selection and a local boy and he's not even in the NHL anymore. You pick the best player possible based on your needs. You have to like Adam's size compared to Jeff's though.

Last edited by dc: 05-06-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old
05-06-2013, 11:54 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanaFan View Post
Because being local isn't some intangible stat that moves a player up in the rankings maybe? If he's good enough to take, then take him but it should have 0% to do with being local. Oh look you can name a few local guys who turned into NHL players, how nice. How about take a look at how many local players DON'T pan out as well. Yep, it's a pretty long list too ...
To take it further, every single team scouts every single league and none of these players are hidden gems. Most teams passed on Gallagher 5 times before the Canadiens finally picked him. If they were sure he was going to be such a stud, he would've gone in the 1st.

Bringing up a bunch of local gems is really no different than bringing up a bunch of gems drafted out of the OHL. Canucks had the same chance to draft any of them.

Also, drafting Frankie Corrado in the 5th round is likely no less of a steal than Gallagher a year earlier in the 5th.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:01 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
To take it further, every single team scouts every single league and none of these players are hidden gems. Most teams passed on Gallagher 5 times before the Canadiens finally picked him. If they were sure he was going to be such a stud, he would've gone in the 1st.

Bringing up a bunch of local gems is really no different than bringing up a bunch of gems drafted out of the OHL. Canucks had the same chance to draft any of them.

Also, drafting Frankie Corrado in the 5th round is likely no less of a steal than Gallagher a year earlier in the 5th.
We definitely need to target players like Gallagher though.

He's basically Kesler in a 5'8" body. Cares, competes, doesn't quit.

Canucks need highly competitive players, with high hockey sense. That is what I want to build around. There has to be shift in mentality with this team.

Needs more Kesler, Bieksa, and Burrows and less Mason Raymond, Dan "I always look like I'm sad" Hamhuis.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:05 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Needs more Kesler, Bieksa, and Burrows and less Mason Raymond, Dan "I always look like I'm sad" Hamhuis.
I don't know why you keep putting Bieksa in that group. Bad player that's costing this team games. I don't care how much he can scowl if he just ****s up all the time. Whereas this is the first down season for Hamhuis and he was excellent prior to that.

I don't buy that being moody and scowling has anything to do with winning games. Sedins work just as hard and have been more important to our winning than Kesler.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:13 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
I don't know why you keep putting Bieksa in that group. Bad player that's costing this team games. I don't care how much he can scowl if he just ****s up all the time. Whereas this is the first down season for Hamhuis and he was excellent prior to that.

I don't buy that being moody and scowling has anything to do with winning games. Sedins work just as hard and have been more important to our winning than Kesler.
Not really draft thread conversation so I won't continue it here, but I call BS on the Kesler thing. I'm pretty sure you know my position on the Twins by now, and without him we don't even make the finals in 2011.
-----
Let's keep this debate elsewhere, lets let the draft thread be a peaceful place, where we can hope and be optimistic for the future...until draft day, when we once again see this teams inadequacies.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:41 PM
Alflives

Quote:
We definitely need to target players like Gallagher though.

He's basically Kesler in a 5'8" body. Cares, competes, doesn't quit.

Canucks need highly competitive players, with high hockey sense. That is what I want to build around. There has to be shift in mentality with this team.

With you I'm in 100% agreement. The Canucks should only draft a player if he has that hyper-compete level. My issue is with the team overlooking the local players. (Local to me is Wester Canada, specifically the WHL) I don't think they have drafted more than 1 or 2 guys from the WHL in the last 5 years. Where did Smyl and Linden come from? Whomever their western scout is, he needs to have a stronger voice.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:55 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
He looks smaller than Gaunce, but broader through the chest...a stockier player, with the low center of gravity.

I like him.

Old
05-06-2013, 03:23 PM
Alflives

Quote:
He looks smaller than Gaunce, but broader through the chest...a stockier player, with the low center of gravity.

I like him.
Yup, stocky guys who compete. That's the ticket.

Old
05-06-2013, 05:24 PM
Nucker101

Quote:
With you I'm in 100% agreement. The Canucks should only draft a player if he has that hyper-compete level. My issue is with the team overlooking the local players. (Local to me is Wester Canada, specifically the WHL) I don't think they have drafted more than 1 or 2 guys from the WHL in the last 5 years. Where did Smyl and Linden come from? Whomever their western scout is, he needs to have a stronger voice.

I also agree, I'll take the guy with a little less talent and supposed upside that will do anything to win over the talented prospect that doesn't have as much competitiveness and drive to win.

Closed Thread