HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk II

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2013, 12:27 AM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
If they have a guy they want, then they would trade up well before our pick. And even if they didn't, if they wanted a guy that we were high on, we wouldn't trade down. If they want a guy that we weren't going to take, then there's no point in them trading up, as he'd be there for them anyways.
We're both debating hypotheticals here.

Lets just end it.

Old
05-13-2013, 12:32 AM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiCKNESS View Post
if DET holds lead and PIT + CHI are eliminated in 2nd round, i think we have a good shot of getting one of Lazar Gauthier Mantha Horvat Zykov
If I had to guess; I think at least one of those are available at 24th.

I don't think Horvat or Lazar would be though. Even as high as 22.

And if none of those guys are available I imagine some of Wennberg, Domi, Shinkaruk or Erne might.

We'll have a good player to choose regardless. Draft is too deep.

Old
05-13-2013, 12:33 AM
Pip
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
If I had to guess; I think at least one of those are available at 24th.

I don't think Horvat or Lazar would be though. Even as high as 22.

And if none of those guys are available I imagine some of Wennberg, Domi, Shinkaruk or Erne might.

We'll have a good player to choose regardless. Draft is too deep.
Draft day can't come soon enough!

Old
05-13-2013, 12:40 AM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1800
Josh Morrissey should draw some serious consideration if he's available by our pick.

Old
05-13-2013, 12:42 AM
canucksfan100

Quote:
Josh Morrissey should draw some serious consideration if he's available by our pick.
hes gonna be a stud, i repeat a STUD. We really impressed with him at U18s, but we dont need D.

Old
05-13-2013, 12:45 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
Draft day can't come soon enough!
Too true! I am just itching for it. I am on a draft news binge. Something needs to happen

Combine is coming up at the end of the month. That's probably the next big event, besides the mem cup.

Old
05-13-2013, 12:56 AM
jigsaw99

Woo hoo! Red Wings won. We move up a spot!

Old
05-13-2013, 01:01 AM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Too true! I am just itching for it. I am on a draft news binge. Something needs to happen

Combine is coming up at the end of the month. That's probably the next big event, besides the mem cup.
Feebster do you have any sort of first round draft board? I know you've watched these guys a lot more than most of us and I'm curious what order you'd prefer the guys around our pick in the mid 20's.

BTW I'm on the draft Erne bandwagon I think his game is exactly what we should be targetting; 1 shot scorer who plays a power game.

Old
05-13-2013, 01:01 AM
Trelane

Concerning players of Petan stature Iíd bet the mortgage MG will not go near them, and who can blame him given our history and the fact that the Schroeder experiment has not been all that satisfactory.

Iíve nothing against undersized players provided that they are equal or fewer in numbers then the Lucic sort and get the same minutes. Itís all about balance and Kassian has yet to establish himself as a legit top 9.

No later than 24th now: good odds two or more among Mantha, Rychel, Gauthier, Erne, Klimchuk, Horvat, Lazar, Zykov or Pulock will still be around for us to choose.

Old
05-13-2013, 01:08 AM
Pip
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
BTW I'm on the draft Erne bandwagon I think his game is exactly what we should be targetting; 1 shot scorer who plays a power game.
also would love for us to pick Erne

Old
05-13-2013, 01:29 AM
me2
Callng out the crap

vCash: 93
I really want use to get a couple of early seconds in the badest way. Would love to find a way to get Petan on top of someone like Mantha/Lazar etc.

Old
05-13-2013, 01:30 AM
tradervik
Advanced potatoes

Quote:
And then there's the stan cup.

Old
05-13-2013, 02:22 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Feebster do you have any sort of first round draft board? I know you've watched these guys a lot more than most of us and I'm curious what order you'd prefer the guys around our pick in the mid 20's.

Of the guys we are discussing and how I am feeling right now:
-Lazar
-Erne
-Horvat (I see these as my top 3, and its very equal)

-Zykov (Probably deserves to be in that top group, but i just haven't seen enough of him)
-Domi
-Klimchuk
-Wennberg
-Morrissey
-Gauthier
-Petan
-Hartman
-Rychel
-Mantha
-Compher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradervik View Post
And then there's the stan cup.
And beyond seeding, that has a lot to do with the prospects available in this draft? I said I am on a draft news binge, not an NHL binge!

Old
05-13-2013, 08:22 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Of the guys we are discussing and how I am feeling right now:
-Lazar
-Erne
-Horvat (I see these as my top 3, and its very equal)

-Zykov (Probably deserves to be in that top group, but i just haven't seen enough of him)
-Domi
-Klimchuk
-Wennberg
-Morrissey
-Gauthier
-Petan
-Hartman
-Rychel
-Mantha
-Compher

And beyond seeding, that has a lot to do with the prospects available in this draft? I said I am on a draft news binge, not an NHL binge!

The bolded prospects should be there at 25. Perhaps not Rychel, but the rest should be there.

Klimchuk over Wennberg?

I'm not as optimistic as I was about a "faller" in this draft. The top3 guys you have listed are the ones many have considered in our potential range. But that was earlier in the year. Now, even Klimchuk and Zykov might move up, to become out of range.

In the latest ISS mock, Petan, Domi, Mantha and Hartman were available at 25. That's pretty good from a drafting perspective. Domi would be a good addition there. Just have to hope it shakes out to give the Canucks even more options.

Old
05-13-2013, 08:30 AM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
The bolded prospects should be there at 25. Perhaps not Rychel, but the rest should be there.

Klimchuk over Wennberg?

I'm not as optimistic as I was about a "faller" in this draft. The top3 guys you have listed are the ones many have considered in our potential range. But that was earlier in the year. Now, even Klimchuk and Zykov might move up, to become out of range.

In the latest ISS mock, Petan, Domi, Mantha and Hartman were available at 25. That's pretty good from a drafting perspective. Domi would be a good addition there. Just have to hope it shakes out to give the Canucks even more options.
Just FTR, we're at 24 now that Anaheim's out. I'm fairly certain that there will be someone available that most people like.

I'd be genuinely curious as to whether the Canucks would prefer Mantha or Erne given the direction we're headed in. Size + skill vs grit + tenacity.

Old
05-13-2013, 08:36 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Just FTR, we're at 24 now that Anaheim's out. I'm fairly certain that there will be someone available that most people like.

I'd be genuinely curious as to whether the Canucks would prefer Mantha or Erne given the direction we're headed in. Size + skill vs grit + tenacity.
Erne's got size. The kid is compact. He's like Booth in that regard. I would take Erne.

Oh yah, forgot about the 24th spot. So that makes things a little better.

Old
05-13-2013, 08:57 AM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

Quote:
Erne's got size. The kid is compact. He's like Booth in that regard. I would take Erne.
What I meant was, Gillis said he wants to get bigger and younger. So would he prefer someone that's 6'4 but not all that physical, or someone who's 6'0 but does play physical.

Anyways, I know that a lot of people here prefer Erne. Although personally I'd rank him last out of the potential fallers.(Lazar/Mantha/Morrissey/Zykov/Horvat/Gauthier, in about that order for me.)

Old
05-13-2013, 09:36 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
What I meant was, Gillis said he wants to get bigger and younger. So would he prefer someone that's 6'4 but not all that physical, or someone who's 6'0 but does play physical.

Anyways, I know that a lot of people here prefer Erne. Although personally I'd rank him last out of the potential fallers.(Lazar/Mantha/Morrissey/Zykov/Horvat/Gauthier, in about that order for me.)
Actually, I don't believe Gillis ever talked about size; however, he did talk about grit.

Old
05-13-2013, 09:36 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
Klimchuk over Wennberg?

I think I fell in love with Klimchuks game at the U18s. He really showed improvements in his all around game, good tenacity, willing to throw the body around, played bigger than he is and still has a lot more to develop. With his attitude, I think he can reach his potential.

Wennberg, I guess there is a small part of me that wonders if he can translate his game to the NHL.

At 24, while we may not get one of our top 3 guys, I think we will still find someone we all like. Not much to really dislike in the first round, for me at least.

Old
05-13-2013, 09:57 AM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Actually, I don't believe Gillis ever talked about size; however, he did talk about grit.
Thank you.

The Mantha vs Erne is exactly the debate IMO.

Both guys are big (like he chose last year and the year before), but this year he specifically spoke of grit.

Mantha is a guy he likely would have taken last year, but you can tell he's getting fed up with not having enough players willing to pay the price.

Erne will go to those spots and has the frame to camp himself out in hose spots to take abuse.

I should also mention Erne is a skilled player, so it's not like they be going away from skill either with him.

Old
05-13-2013, 11:32 AM
Outside99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelane View Post
Concerning players of Petan stature Iíd bet the mortgage MG will not go near them, and who can blame him given our history and the fact that the Schroeder experiment has not been all that satisfactory.

Iíve nothing against undersized players provided that they are equal or fewer in numbers then the Lucic sort and get the same minutes. Itís all about balance and Kassian has yet to establish himself as a legit top 9.

No later than 24th now: good odds two or more among Mantha, Rychel, Gauthier, Erne, Klimchuk, Horvat, Lazar, Zykov or Pulock will still be around for us to choose.
I see it as a demand and supply issue - why spend a 1st round pick on a smallish skill player when you can get an equivalent prospect in a later round? Examples that I know of include Gallagher and Pageau, there are probably many more.

Old
05-13-2013, 12:01 PM
Jovofan

I admit I haven't seen much of him but I don't get the love for Erne, he doesn't strike me as a quality offensive player. In his two years in junior he's yet to score even 30 goals. I would rather have a guy that looks to have some high upside scoring ability instead of just a dude with size. I can see Gillis being too scared to take a kid like Petan so if we're not going with him I'd MUCH rather see us use our pick on Rychel who's proven he's an elite junior score or Klimchuk has the look of a goal scorer also. I'm not feeling it for Erne.

Old
05-13-2013, 12:07 PM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovofan View Post
I admit I haven't seen much of him but I don't get the love for Erne, he doesn't strike me as a quality offensive player. In his two years in junior he's yet to score even 30 goals. I would rather have a guy that looks to have some high upside scoring ability instead of just a dude with size. I can see Gillis being too scared to take a kid like Petan so if we're not going with him I'd MUCH rather see us use our pick on Rychel who's proven he's an elite junior score or Klimchuk has the look of a goal scorer also. I'm not feeling it for Erne.
Rychel is also in his 3rd year in the CHL. He's a late 94', thus he's had a lot longer to develop his CHL game.

This is what happens when we just look at stats.

Erne drives play, is a better skater, has a good shot...his shot might not be as good as Rychel's (to me this would be the only thing Rychel has on Erne...maybe leadership intangibles, but those are hard to measure unless you've seen a lot of each guy, which I haven't).

I think Rychel is a guy the Canucks would favour too, but if it came down to Erne and Rychel, I'd go with Erne.

Plus his birthday is April 20th - 4:20, perfect fit for Vancouver.

Old
05-13-2013, 12:08 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovofan View Post
Stats can be misleading. Rychel played on a poor team and was absolutely force-fed ice-time all year. Erne is a better skater, better puckhandler and has better vision. He's also more creative with the puck.

Old
05-13-2013, 12:22 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Rychel is also in his 3rd year in the CHL. He's a late 94', thus he's had a lot longer to develop his CHL game.

This is what happens when we just look at stats.

Erne drives play, is a better skater, has a good shot...his shot might not be as good as Rychel's (to me this would be the only thing Rychel has on Erne...maybe leadership intangibles, but those are hard to measure unless you've seen a lot of each guy, which I haven't).

I think Rychel is a guy the Canucks would favour too, but if it came down to Erne and Rychel, I'd go with Erne.

Plus his birthday is April 20th - 4:20, perfect fit for Vancouver.
Age should have nothing to do with whether or not you pick a player.

Closed Thread