HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk II

Closed Thread

Old
05-21-2013, 06:04 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Global Moderator
Kitimat Canuck

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Really really like him. I think he is easily a 1st round talent and although many might disagree, I think I like Morin more than Zadorov. More offensive potential, makes quicker decisions, while not losing any of the physicality or size.
Morin is someone I could see the Canucks targeting with their focus on size and skill. They will also need another strong defender coming through the ranks with Tanev and Corrado graduating to the NHL, McNally still having a few years of college to go, and Jeremy Price's contract status being up in the air.

I certainly wouldn't be against the idea of drafting a huge defender with mobility, puck skill and a mean streak.

Old
05-21-2013, 06:16 PM
StringerBell

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Really really like him. I think he is easily a 1st round talent and although many might disagree, I think I like Morin more than Zadorov. More offensive potential, makes quicker decisions, while not losing any of the physicality or size.
I'm not that familiar with Morin, but I'm not surprised that someone would have him higher than Zadorov. I think Zadorov will get drafted higher than he should based on potential he's unlikely to ever realize.

Old
05-21-2013, 06:26 PM
iFan
Horvat to Virtanen

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Carolina fans seem to like the idea of trading the 5th overall (plus something else) for Edler and the 24th overall.

Btw. Do you still think Adam Tambellini is a top 10 pick?
That plus better be something real nice like Ryan Murphy, Canucks need Edler, who will be our puck moving D? Edler is our biggest guy on the back end and we're going into a big tough division were we'll need bigger D man to take the forechecking of some of these teams. I'm not sure the Canes really have the pieces for Edler or the pieces they would be willing or could really afford to lose. I'm not so willing to move Edler, #1D man with an offensive game, has size, can skate, signed for 6 more season at 5 million is tough for us to lose. I like the look of our D

Hamhuis Bieksa
Edler Garrison
Alberts? Tanev
Corrado

Bieksa is moveable and this opens up a spot for Corrado, Edler really isn't moveable unless we're getting back a top pairing right side puck moving D man, Canucks really can't afford to move Edler, it would be a poor move as it opens up a major issue and that's puck movement from the D, we won't have that and this would cripple us.

Old
05-21-2013, 07:00 PM
BlueRoyal14

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
15 goals and 60 assist or 30 goals 30 assists. I know which one I take.
I take the guy who is capable of setting up others to score on a regular basis. That way, everyone is a threat to score in a sense.

Hank has not failed this team because he's a playmaker. He has just failed to step it up in the playoffs period. In most cases, having a player of Thornton's or Sedin's calibre in terms of passing will lead to a lot of goals from that player's supporting cast and the defensemen. I don't want a David Backes type centering our first line. A guy like that can score 30 goals. Yay! But he's useless at passing the puck and setting others up and, what a coincidence!, the Blues struggle to score, even with a pretty impressive collection of forwards.

This is why I want Petan! A great offensive talent who, if developed properly, could easily become our #1 center of the future.

Old
05-21-2013, 07:09 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Morin is someone I could see the Canucks targeting with their focus on size and skill. They will also need another strong defender coming through the ranks with Tanev and Corrado graduating to the NHL, McNally still having a few years of college to go, and Jeremy Price's contract status being up in the air.

I certainly wouldn't be against the idea of drafting a huge defender with mobility, puck skill and a mean streak.
with tommernes/andersson next year, mcnally next and then hutton and, the canucks have pretty extended defensive depth. unless they see something special in a morrissey or whatever, i wouldn't really want them aiming at D until later rounds

Old
05-21-2013, 07:10 PM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRoyal14 View Post
I take the guy who is capable of setting up others to score on a regular basis. That way, everyone is a threat to score in a sense.

Hank has not failed this team because he's a playmaker. He has just failed to step it up in the playoffs period. In most cases, having a player of Thornton's or Sedin's calibre in terms of passing will lead to a lot of goals from that player's supporting cast and the defensemen. I don't want a David Backes type centering our first line. A guy like that can score 30 goals. Yay! But he's useless at passing the puck and setting others up and, what a coincidence!, the Blues struggle to score, even with a pretty impressive collection of forwards.

This is why I want Petan! A great offensive talent who, if developed properly, could easily become our #1 center of the future.
We've seen what this pass first player does, at least our pass first center and his brother pass up prime shooting opportunites in scoring areas a lot.

Petan doesn't do this, I'd take him at 24th.

I want goals, being one dimensional makes you easier to check.

----

THe Canucks also struggle to score goals with a player who has 80 assist seasons.

I guess we're just looking for a happy medium between Backes type (not really) and Sedin...the issue with Backes is he isn't a consistent 30 goal threat, I'm more referring to a Jeff Carter/ type guy.

Scoring goals is what matters.

Old
05-21-2013, 07:12 PM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
with tommernes/andersson next year, mcnally next and then hutton and, the canucks have pretty extended defensive depth. unless they see something special in a morrissey or whatever, i wouldn't really want them aiming at D until later rounds
I share the opinion, the only issue that I ran into when doing my own ranking, is there are a lot more good defenseman than high end forwards.

Defensman could very well be the BPA at 24th depending on how the draft shakes down.

Old
05-21-2013, 07:16 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
I share the opinion, the only issue that I ran into when doing my own ranking, is there are a lot more good defenseman than high end forwards.

Defensman could very well be the BPA at 24th depending on how the draft shakes down.
BPA accounting, or not accounting for developmental risk?

Old
05-21-2013, 07:22 PM
BlueRoyal14

Quote:
We've seen what this pass first player does, at least our pass first center and his brother pass up prime shooting opportunites in scoring areas a lot.

Petan doesn't do this, I'd take him at 24th.

I want goals, being one dimensional makes you easier to check.

----

THe Canucks also struggle to score goals with a player who has 80 assist seasons.

I guess we're just looking for a happy medium between Backes type (not really) and Sedin...the issue with Backes is he isn't a consistent 30 goal threat, I'm more referring to a Jeff Carter/ type guy.

Scoring goals is what matters.
You make good points, but I still have to go with NF09 here. Sure, the Sedins have been frustrating as hell with their tendency to pass up on scoring opportunities, but to have a player that can dish the puck at an elite level is special and something I would never forgo.

Old
05-21-2013, 07:37 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1800
I've been hearing nothing but great things from Andrighetto. If he's available at our 3rd, I'd be pretty disappointed if we didn't take him.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:13 AM
canucksfan100

If Zykov, Hartman, Gauthier, Domi, Horvat, Lazar, Mantha, Morrisey, Morin are gone by our pick(22-24), what do you think of taking Mike McCarron? Or trading down to pick him? Really big body, hits, good puck possesion game, can score. Think reminds me of Tom Wilson going into his draft. I would love if we traded down and got Fasching + McCarron. A really good PWF in Fasching a potential Lucic type in McCarron. McCarron is 6'5" 230, Fasching is 6'3" 215 and a great skater.

Theyre's a video of McCarron roughing it up with 4 players in a game in front of the net all by himself.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:15 AM
Henrik To Daniel

Hopefully we are able to snag a couple of players playing in the Memorial Cup this year

Old
05-22-2013, 12:23 AM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiCKNESS View Post
If Zykov, Hartman, Gauthier, Domi, Horvat, Lazar, Mantha, Morrisey, Morin are gone by our pick(22-24), what do you think of taking Mike McCarron? Or trading down to pick him? Really big body, hits, good puck possesion game, can score. Think reminds me of Tom Wilson going into his draft. I would love if we traded down and got Fasching + McCarron. A really good PWF in Fasching a potential Lucic type in McCarron. McCarron is 6'5" 230, Fasching is 6'3" 215 and a great skater.

Theyre's a video of McCarron roughing it up with 4 players in a game in front of the net all by himself.
If all of those guys are gone I'd have to imagine there would be a different faller. Although if there is no one who stands out at 24, I think we'd be best off trading down.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:26 AM
me2
Callng out the crap

vCash: 93
I'll take 75 goals over 60 goals.

Old
05-22-2013, 01:12 AM
NuxFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
I'll take 75 goals over 60 goals.
Exactly.

Old
05-22-2013, 02:08 AM
Trelane

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
I'm not that familiar with Morin, but I'm not surprised that someone would have him higher than Zadorov. I think Zadorov will get drafted higher than he should based on potential he's unlikely to ever realize.
The Chara phenomenon at work. Everybody wants that next monster D. To me all these guys (Nurse, Zadorov, Morin, and even Jones) are overrated and don't really merit the draft position they'll likely get.

I like beef at least as much as the next guy but there ought to be more emphasis on skill. If they all go in the 1st round it signals that the league is headed toward an even more shutdown, defensive oriented game. Always easier to defend, bring down, and destroy, than to attack, elevate and create. God I miss late 80s, early 90s hockey.

I wonder where Roy stands on the Jones v MacKinnon thing. Everybody thinks Jones to Colorado is given, and the fit is undeniable, but every goaltender I knew, apart from in the slot giveaways, hates being screened the most, irrespective of the jersey, and would take two v one goal lead every time. Heaven knows the Western Conference badly needs more offensive talent and Roy might be just the guy to buck conventional (non) wisdom.

Old
05-22-2013, 03:26 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelane View Post
The Chara phenomenon at work. Everybody wants that next monster D. To me all these guys (Nurse, Zadorov, Morin, and even Jones) are overrated and don't really merit the draft position they'll likely get.
Absolutely not. Not even close to the truth.

Jones thinks the game better than any junior D-man I have ever seen in my whole life. His ability to influence the play in all zones is already at the NHL level. Not only that, his size allows him to have an insane reach which makes him extra effective defensively. Furthermore, Jones is one of the most athletic players out there — not just for his size, but overall.

I don't think that criticism applies to either of the other 3 prospects either. They're all very talented.

Old
05-22-2013, 04:05 AM
jammyrft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
I wouldn't be too quick to call those mentioned players as "extended depth" that's very mediocre depth at best and that's being kind. MAYBE Andersson/Tommernes have a chance to make the NHL. Even if they do make the NHL what's their ceiling? Neither will be top guys and we'd hit a gold mine if any of them played a serious top 4 role.

I do agree with aiming for D in the later rounds BUT if a better Dman is on the board compare to a forward I can't say with any conviction our D depth is great enough to pass on the pick

Old
05-22-2013, 04:10 AM
jammyrft

I see Mantha falling to our position and it worries me we'll take him. I don't care how good you can be he has motivation issues (self admittedly) plus that's what almost every scout says about him is he often lacks motivation and effort.

I'm not sure about you guys but I'd take a less talented player who leaves it all out on the ice then a floater with good hands.

Old
05-22-2013, 06:05 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammyrft View Post
I wouldn't be too quick to call those mentioned players as "extended depth" that's very mediocre depth at best and that's being kind. MAYBE Andersson/Tommernes have a chance to make the NHL. Even if they do make the NHL what's their ceiling? Neither will be top guys and we'd hit a gold mine if any of them played a serious top 4 role.
You're talking about a team with 5 Top 4 guys, one of whom is very young (Tanev). Plus another prospect in Corrado with Top 4 potential. Even if all our defensemen have the potential to only be #6 D, that still means we have ridiculous depth on D.

That said, I think McNally and Price both have higher potential than that. Andersson probably has bottom pairing potential. We'll see about Tommernes.

Old
05-22-2013, 08:15 AM
Yossarian54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
You're talking about a team with 5 Top 4 guys, one of whom is very young (Tanev). Plus another prospect in Corrado with Top 4 potential. Even if all our defensemen have the potential to only be #6 D, that still means we have ridiculous depth on D.

That said, I think McNally and Price both have higher potential than that. Andersson probably has bottom pairing potential. We'll see about Tommernes.
McEneny too, probably around the same time as McNally.

Old
05-22-2013, 09:06 AM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

vCash: 457
Nurse is going to be a monster in the NHL.. Just a gut feeling

Old
05-22-2013, 09:35 AM
Alflives*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post

You're right. The Canucks have a boatload of second pairing guys. Maybe Garrison or Hamhuis could even play top pairing minutes, with the correct partner. The issue with the D-core is the lack of the top end guy. Hell, even Toronto has Phaneuf, and he's not a top guy, but at least he can play top minutes. The Canucks need one D-man that the coach can put out 25+ minutes every game, especially in the play-offs.

Old
05-22-2013, 10:08 AM
Ronning On Empty
Formerly BleachClean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
You're right. The Canucks have a boatload of second pairing guys. Maybe Garrison or Hamhuis could even play top pairing minutes, with the correct partner. The issue with the D-core is the lack of the top end guy. Hell, even Toronto has Phaneuf, and he's not a top guy, but at least he can play top minutes. The Canucks need one D-man that the coach can put out 25+ minutes every game, especially in the play-offs.

Luckily the next Canucks coach has two such Dmen he can feed 25+ minutes to: Garrison and Hamhuis. So no issue there.

I'm also curious how Phaneuf is a guy that can play top minutes, but not be a top guy?

The Canucks have, to my mind, three top pairing players in Edler, Hamhuis and Garrison. Each of these guys brings multiple facets to the game, play in all situations, and are very capable in either the offensive or defensive zone. That's top pair. Everything else is noise.

Old
05-22-2013, 10:17 AM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Luckily the next Canucks coach has two such Dmen he can feed 25+ minutes to: Garrison and Hamhuis. So no issue there.

I'm also curious how Phaneuf is a guy that can play top minutes, but not be a top guy?

The Canucks have, to my mind, three top pairing players in Edler, Hamhuis and Garrison. Each of these guys brings multiple facets to the game, play in all situations, and are very capable in either the offensive or defensive zone. That's top pair. Everything else is noise.
Complaining about having no top pair is alf's shtick.

He's been doing it for over a year.

Closed Thread