HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk II

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2013, 03:15 PM
Alflives*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
It's not Garrison's fault that Bowness is clueless. Hamhuis got injured from a check. Besides, how do you get injured from playing too many minutes? Oh, and I'm unsure why Edler playing many minutes I the key reason for the team losing in like they have? Do we attribute series losses to one player now?

These are all top-pairing guys. I'm bemused that the standard is so high to be even considered "top pair". I'm eager to see the further separation between top-pairing and #1. And then after that, #1 to franchise level Dman. Could you provide a list?
I do believe I stated that Garrison and Hamhuis could play in the top pair, if they had the right partner, and were not on the PP, thus keeping their minutes down. As for a list, I would put Phaneuf at the bottom of any 'said list' and he is more of a top guy (as D-men go) than any current Canuck.

Old
05-22-2013, 03:21 PM
Ronning On Empty
Formerly BleachClean

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
My only concern about Petan is from the Hockey News draft guide where they said his skating isn't great. I don't have much faith in anything THN writes though, so I'll have to catch Portland's game tonight and judge for myself. Being undersized is fine if you're skilled, but if you're undersized and can't get around, that's too many strikes.

He's a good skater to my eye. Not blazing fast, but gets around. Good agility, smooth edge work, good acceleration. Doesn't seem to be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
We agree on something! He's smallish, and has a 'light' frame, but he's a hockey player with an excellent skill-set and high compete level. Absolutely the Canucks should draft him, if possible.

Do you believe Domi is a better prospect?

Yes. Domi is better offensively, and is much stockier. Petan might be a bit better 2way. To me anyways.

Old
05-22-2013, 03:27 PM
Alflives*

Quote:
He's a good skater to my eye. Not blazing fast, but gets around. Good agility, smooth edge work, good acceleration. Doesn't seem to be an issue.

Yes. Domi is better offensively, and is much stockier. Petan might be a bit better 2way. To me anyways.
Is there a way the Canucks could get both these guys? Perhaps trade Edler for Domi's draft spot and then take Petan with their own #1? I read there is a D-man (Morin) who is in this draft too. Do you know anything about him? You are making sense today. I think it's my recent concussion.

Old
05-22-2013, 03:33 PM
Ronning On Empty
Formerly BleachClean

Quote:
I do believe I stated that Garrison and Hamhuis could play in the top pair, if they had the right partner, and were not on the PP, thus keeping their minutes down. As for a list, I would put Phaneuf at the bottom of any 'said list' and he is more of a top guy (as D-men go) than any current Canuck.

Phaneauf at the bottom of the list. Hamhuis, Edler and Garrison below him. Who's on the list? The list of top pair guys. Players that could play on a top pair. The upper part of which would then be #1 Dmen... and then way at the top, would be franchise Dmen. So I would like to see who falls in the section of not good enough to be #1s, but are better than Phaneuf/Hamhuis/Edler/Garrison?

Old
05-22-2013, 03:35 PM
Ronning On Empty
Formerly BleachClean

Quote:
Is there a way the Canucks could get both these guys? Perhaps trade Edler for Domi's draft spot and then take Petan with their own #1? I read there is a D-man (Morin) who is in this draft too. Do you know anything about him? You are making sense today. I think it's my recent concussion.

Who knew a concussion could be a good thing? lol

If Petan drops there's a chance.

Old
05-22-2013, 03:41 PM
Bitz and Bites

As smart and skilled as Petan is,we already have Schroeder as a young smallish and skilled centre who we need to surround with big,fast,gritty scoring wingers to complement his skillset.We need to draft players who can play with him rather than draft another player just like him and have no suitable wingers for him to work with either.
I really like Petan as a player but I'll be seriously pissed if we use our first rounder on him.

Last edited by Bitz and Bites: 05-22-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old
05-22-2013, 04:07 PM
jammyrft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitz and Bites View Post
As smart and skilled as Petan is,we already have Schroeder as a young smallish and skilled centre who we need to surround with big,fast,gritty scoring wingers to complement his skillset.We need to draft players who can play with him rather than draft another player just like him and have no suitable wingers for him to work with.
I really like Petan as a player but I'll be seriously pissed if we use our first rounder on him.

Agreed. And that's not a knock on Petan. But the chance of a 24th overall panning out is a crap shoot really. Might as well draft someone with different tangibles. I don't think it's smart to draft anyone who's small unless their skillset is too great to pass up. For every 1 small skilled player that makes it there's 10 bigger grittier players.

Old
05-22-2013, 04:57 PM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

I hate how we just associate gritty with size.

They are not linked.

I'd take an entire team of Marty St Louis', Cliff Ronning's and Theo Fleury's.

They have heart, grit and skill.

Old
05-22-2013, 05:05 PM
PRNuck
Sell the team.

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I hate how we just associate gritty with size.

They are not linked.

They have heart, grit and skill.
Pfft, my Steven Berniers, Taylor Pyatts and Alex Edlers will see you IN THE OCTAGON.

Old
05-22-2013, 05:17 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1800
You don't have to be gritty to be successful, though.

Old
05-22-2013, 06:04 PM
tradervik
Advanced potatoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
Nurse is going to be a monster in the NHL.. Just a gut feeling
But only if paired up with this guy: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=151738

Old
05-22-2013, 08:42 PM
CanaFan

Quote:
Mantha over Horvat, Erne and others? I'm not sure I agree.

Petan should be added to that list. And Klimchuk.
I like that you've added Klimchuk, he seems to get overlooked by a lot of people, but everything I've read about him (never actually watched unfortunately) has me high on the kid. Any insights on what you like about him and why he may be rated a bit lower than guys like Erne, Mantha, Rychel, and even Petan? He seems a guy who could definitely be on the board at our pick ...

Old
05-22-2013, 09:27 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
wow, you're really lowering your standards here

Old
05-22-2013, 09:38 PM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
wow, you're really lowering your standards here
Was that supposed to be a funny?

I'm having a hard time telling anymore on this site.

:p

Old
05-22-2013, 09:41 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 50
i might, too, be compelled to take an entire team of hart trophy winners and top line scorers - but only if i thought they were sufficiently hearty, gritty and feisty

Old
05-22-2013, 10:38 PM
Jovofan

As big a fan of Petan as I am, I'm doubting that he's be a guy that is even on MG's radar. In Gillis' time as GM we've made 30 picks and only two of those have been from the Dub and both of those picks were back in '08! We've used 3 of our 4 1st rounders on OHLers too which leads me to believe that Kerby Rychel will be our pick if he's still available at 24.

Also, I'm developing a serious man-crush on Bo Horvat but it looks like there's no hope in hell that he's even going to be on the board that late anymore which sucks.

Old
05-23-2013, 05:22 AM
Jumex

vCash: 249
If we end up going D in the first right Ryan Pulock intrigues me.

I could see him falling as his points have dropped since last year - but the Wheat Kings have dropped like a stone since last year.

I doubt it slides down to our pick but we should be all over him if he did.

Old
05-23-2013, 10:17 AM
PRNuck
Sell the team.

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumex View Post
If we end up going D in the first right Ryan Pulock intrigues me.

I could see him falling as his points have dropped since last year - but the Wheat Kings have dropped like a stone since last year.

I doubt it slides down to our pick but we should be all over him if he did.
I was just watching a clip of his highlights yesterday, dude can hammer it. I see him ranked pretty highly, and quite honestly wouldn't like him that high, but if he slid to our pick, I'd consider it lucky.

Old
05-23-2013, 10:31 AM
Alflives*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovofan View Post
As big a fan of Petan as I am, I'm doubting that he's be a guy that is even on MG's radar. In Gillis' time as GM we've made 30 picks and only two of those have been from the Dub and both of those picks were back in '08! We've used 3 of our 4 1st rounders on OHLers too which leads me to believe that Kerby Rychel will be our pick if he's still available at 24.

Also, I'm developing a serious man-crush on Bo Horvat but it looks like there's no hope in hell that he's even going to be on the board that late anymore which sucks.
Excellent point about the lack of scouting out west. It's a moot point about Petan though. He is looking better than Domi now, so he will not be there when the Canucks pick.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:41 AM
Ronning On Empty
Formerly BleachClean

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanaFan View Post
I like that you've added Klimchuk, he seems to get overlooked by a lot of people, but everything I've read about him (never actually watched unfortunately) has me high on the kid. Any insights on what you like about him and why he may be rated a bit lower than guys like Erne, Mantha, Rychel, and even Petan? He seems a guy who could definitely be on the board at our pick ...
Klimchuk is smaller than the first three, and less skilled than Petan. However, he does put his game together really well. He's direct, good shot, able to find holes, plays many roles, good speed. Relies more on skating than shiftiness to provide offense. Sometimes it seems skating can be an issue, but overall I don't think so. Could stand to playmake a bit better. Overall, is a leader-character guy. A lot of things to like.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:44 AM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1800
It would be kind of nice having a potential #1 dman in our system, even if he's be extremely unlikely to reach it.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:53 AM
CanaFan

Quote:
Klimchuk is smaller than the first three, and less skilled than Petan. However, he does put his game together really well. He's direct, good shot, able to find holes, plays many roles, good speed. Relies more on skating than shiftiness to provide offense. Sometimes it seems skating can be an issue, but overall I don't think so. Could stand to playmake a bit better. Overall, is a leader-character guy. A lot of things to like.
Cool, thanks for sharing those insights. I'd obviously be thrilled to nab Erne at 23/24 though I'm less stoked on Mantha - not a fan of guys who don't have a high compete in Jr - nor Petan - 5'8 is a tough size to overcome - so if Klimchuk is available at our spot I'd be a happy camper if we nabbed him (barring any dramatic falls like Erne or Shinkaruk).

Old
05-23-2013, 12:27 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Good summary, but one question.

Although you dont think it is a problem, how would skating an issue sometimes? Just wondering because i think he is a very good skater in agility, acceleration and top end speed. I think it's probably one of his greatest strengths. He never stops moving his feet especially in the offensive zone, always trying to get open for a one timer or to receive a pass. Also makes him good on the forecheck. Caused several turnovers at the U18 because of his pressure on the puck.

My take is pretty similar; he is a smart player at both ends of the ice. Knows to be in position and provide support as a winger. Plays bigger than his size would lead you to believe. He is not afraid to play the body on the forecheck or along the boards. Also has thrown some nice open ice hits. He has an above average shot, has the ability to score from the tops of the circle with a slap shot or wrister. But also can crash the net for some ugly goals. Okay passing vision. Not too many weaknesses in my eyes, especially when you add his attitude on top of what he brings on the ice. He is a very determined individual.

I'd take him over Mantha, Rychel and Petan.

Old
05-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Ronning On Empty
Formerly BleachClean

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Good summary, but one question.

Although you dont think it is a problem, how would skating an issue sometimes? Just wondering because i think he is a very good skater in agility, acceleration and top end speed. I think it's probably one of his greatest strengths. He never stops moving his feet especially in the offensive zone, always trying to get open for a one timer or to receive a pass. Also makes him good on the forecheck. Caused several turnovers at the U18 because of his pressure on the puck.

My take is pretty similar; he is a smart player at both ends of the ice. Knows to be in position and provide support as a winger. Plays bigger than his size would lead you to believe. He is not afraid to play the body on the forecheck or along the boards. Also has thrown some nice open ice hits. He has an above average shot, has the ability to score from the tops of the circle with a slap shot or wrister. But also can crash the net for some ugly goals. Okay passing vision. Not too many weaknesses in my eyes, especially when you add his attitude on top of what he brings on the ice. He is a very determined individual.

I'd take him over Mantha, Rychel and Petan.

Sometimes I come away from games thinking he's not as fast as he's touted to be. His acceleration and agility are very good. Top end speed, hard to read for me.

I'd take him over Mantha and Rychel, Petan I'm unsure. I like Petan's high skill level, where as I think Klimhuk will be too reliant on just skating and will to get by.

Old
05-23-2013, 12:46 PM
CalgaryCanuck03
@calgarycanuck03

Drafting Petan would be a real home run swing, there is a lot of strike out potential to him due to his size but he does have the goal scoring knack that is hard to teach. Without a 2nd rd pick it's hard to see the Canucks taking such a risk with their 1st rd pick.

Closed Thread