HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk II

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2013, 02:59 AM
jigsaw99

vCash: 500
think we can grab Justin Bailey with our 3rd pick?

Old
04-16-2013, 09:14 AM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
think we can grab Justin Bailey with our 3rd pick?
I was wishful thinking he would still be there in the 3rd but too many mock/rankings have him in the late 2nd round.

I think players in the 3rd round will be:

Adam Tambellini
Eric Roy
Kujawinski
Cole Cassels

seems like there has been a lot of movement in the 2nd/3rd rounders.

Old
04-16-2013, 11:48 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
I was wishful thinking he would still be there in the 3rd but too many mock/rankings have him in the late 2nd round.

Adam Tambellini
Eric Roy
Kujawinski
Cole Cassels

The only player(s) you just listed I see being available at 82-90th is Cassels and Roy (who I'm not at all fond of).

I like Cassels, but I don't see a great deal of upside.

Connor Rankin is a guy who may be available in the late 3rd, it might also be worth getting a goalie there if they fall.

Sean Burke's kid would be a great draft pick, I'd rather a forward but its really hard to predict who will be available - Nastasiuk, Moutrey, or a guy like M-A Roy would be good choices if available.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:11 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
I say we use our third to draft a high-risk, high reward prospect.

Andrighetto, Subban, Slepyshev, etc.

Old
04-16-2013, 04:18 PM
arsmaster

thefeebster - What are your thoughts on Carter Verhaege out of Niagara? I like what little I've seen.

3rd round ability? or later?

Just got named to U-18's for Canada.

Late birthday, solid size.

4 points in 5 games in the playoffs. Had 9 points in the last 6 regular season games.

Old
04-16-2013, 05:07 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
thefeebster - What are your thoughts on Carter Verhaege out of Niagara? I like what little I've seen.

3rd round ability? or later?

Just got named to U-18's for Canada.

Late birthday, solid size.

4 points in 5 games in the playoffs. Had 9 points in the last 6 regular season games.
I like him, whenever i watched he was very noticable because of how hard he works and is very involved with the play. Good two way player, who is poised for a good opportunity next season. Sort of like a less physical and less developed Scott Laughton.

He has been ranked around the back end of the 3rd round, would be good value around there.

Here's a good article: http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2...nding-new-role

Sounds like over-working off the ice made him tired and somewhat inconsistent on the ice.

Old
04-17-2013, 12:22 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
I like him, whenever i watched he was very noticable because of how hard he works and is very involved with the play. Good two way player, who is poised for a good opportunity next season. Sort of like a less physical and less developed Scott Laughton.

He has been ranked around the back end of the 3rd round, would be good value around there.

Here's a good article: http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2...nding-new-role

Sounds like over-working off the ice made him tired and somewhat inconsistent on the ice.
Good article. Thanks.

Old
04-17-2013, 03:34 AM
Golden Boy
The Spy in Beantown

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post

I have the biggest man-crush on J. Subban. I have a feeling that he could be a Letang-like pick in the 2nd round, unfortunately we don't have a 2nd round pick this year. There are upsides and downsides to him having Subban as his last name. I think that for one, it gives him a sort of swagger right off the bat, which boosts his confidence which may or may not help his development as a player. A downside obviously would be him being overconfident and cocky, which would hinder his development. Even though he is only 5'9, I feel that he still has some room to grow, as men usually don't stop growing until they are around 21 or 22. He would probably peak at around 5'10 or 5'11, and if he builds into the same mould of his brother, PK, he could be extremely compact for his size at around 200 pounds. Anyway, while there may be better picks than him in the 2nd round or 3rd round, I feel like he could provide the star power that our prospect pool so desperately needs. Then again, what do I know?

Old
04-17-2013, 04:46 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Well Mike Weaver is 5'9" so never say never.

Old
04-17-2013, 07:41 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Well Mike Weaver is 5'9" so never say never.
Timonen, Visnovsky, and Campbell are all 5'10.

Old
04-17-2013, 09:01 AM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
The only player(s) you just listed I see being available at 82-90th is Cassels and Roy (who I'm not at all fond of).

I like Cassels, but I don't see a great deal of upside.

Connor Rankin is a guy who may be available in the late 3rd, it might also be worth getting a goalie there if they fall.

Sean Burke's kid would be a great draft pick, I'd rather a forward but its really hard to predict who will be available - Nastasiuk, Moutrey, or a guy like M-A Roy would be good choices if available.
I wanted to put up Nastasiuk but he put up quite the playoffs and there are so many players from 50-90 that go up and down daily. I also just blew up my playoff comment by having Tamby there who's been a beast for Surrey.

Old
04-17-2013, 09:32 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:

Gillis will probably waste it on some unknown overager that people will defend to no end before seeing him struggle in the ECHL next year.

04-17-2013, 09:38 AM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post

Adam Tambellini
Eric Roy
Kujawinski
Cole Cassels

Tambellini will be much higer pick, maybe even in the first round. He's big, and still growing, with top end skill. Top 15 pick, or even top 10?

Old
04-17-2013, 09:39 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Tambellini will be much higer pick, maybe even in the first round. He's big, and still growing, with top end skill. Top 15 pick, or even top 10?
I will bet you $1000 that Tambellini is not a top 10 pick.

Old
04-17-2013, 10:09 AM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I will bet you $1000 that Tambellini is not a top 10 pick.
Let's see what happens at the draft. The Canucks would be wise to take him, if he falls to their draft point in round one, which I doubt. The Canucks have a bad habbit of not missing local talent: Gallagher, Lucic, Weber, Seabrook etc......

Old
04-17-2013, 10:35 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promethesis View Post
I have the biggest man-crush on J. Subban. I have a feeling that he could be a Letang-like pick in the 2nd round, unfortunately we don't have a 2nd round pick this year. There are upsides and downsides to him having Subban as his last name. I think that for one, it gives him a sort of swagger right off the bat, which boosts his confidence which may or may not help his development as a player. A downside obviously would be him being overconfident and cocky, which would hinder his development. Even though he is only 5'9, I feel that he still has some room to grow, as men usually don't stop growing until they are around 21 or 22. He would probably peak at around 5'10 or 5'11, and if he builds into the same mould of his brother, PK, he could be extremely compact for his size at around 200 pounds. Anyway, while there may be better picks than him in the 2nd round or 3rd round, I feel like he could provide the star power that our prospect pool so desperately needs. Then again, what do I know?
If you've ever seen Jordan with his shirt off, the kid is straight jacked. It is not impossible for him to put on height, but generally when you're as physically developed as Jordan is at a young age, there is very little room for height growth (just like for Jordan Schroeder).

He's an excellent skater like his brother, so there is definitely potential for him to become similar to Brian Campbell. It's just not a risk I would take.

Your comment about 'star power' really does nothing for the prospect pool. It makes HF, and THN and all the other prognositcators speak more highly of the pool because we have a "Subban" not because we have a blue chip prospect, if you catch my drift.

Quote:
Timonen, Visnovsky, and Campbell are all 5'10.
I think of a kid like Ryan Ellis, who was considerably better at the OHL level, was much more hyped, was drafted by a great defensman factory in Nashville, and he's almost 4 years removed from his draft year and still hasn't cemented a spot.

I know Subban skates way better, but the transition to handling big kids, to handling big men is tough.

I think he'll be gone in the 2nd anyways.
Quote:
Gillis will probably waste it on some unknown overager that people will defend to no end before seeing him struggle in the ECHL next year.
Lets hope not.

Also don't know why you didn't bet more than $1000 on that bet with alflives.

Old
04-17-2013, 11:20 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Let's see what happens at the draft. The Canucks would be wise to take him, if he falls to their draft point in round one, which I doubt. The Canucks have a bad habbit of not missing local talent: Gallagher, Lucic, Weber, Seabrook etc......
I guarantee you that Tambellini isn't a top 10 pick. I will bet anything you want. Name the terms.

In fact, I would be surprised if he's gone within the first two rounds, let alone top 10. And the Canucks would be wasting a 1st round pick if they went after him in round 1. Just because he has a name you recognize doesn't mean he's an elite prospect. He's a guy you look at in the 3rd or 4th rounds, not the first.

Old
04-17-2013, 11:26 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
If you've ever seen Jordan with his shirt off, the kid is straight jacked. It is not impossible for him to put on height, but generally when you're as physically developed as Jordan is at a young age, there is very little room for height growth (just like for Jordan Schroeder).

He's an excellent skater like his brother, so there is definitely potential for him to become similar to Brian Campbell. It's just not a risk I would take.

Your comment about 'star power' really does nothing for the prospect pool. It makes HF, and THN and all the other prognositcators speak more highly of the pool because we have a "Subban" not because we have a blue chip prospect, if you catch my drift.

I think of a kid like Ryan Ellis, who was considerably better at the OHL level, was much more hyped, was drafted by a great defensman factory in Nashville, and he's almost 4 years removed from his draft year and still hasn't cemented a spot.

I know Subban skates way better, but the transition to handling big kids, to handling big men is tough.

I think he'll be gone in the 2nd anyways.
I think size is less important for offensive dmen than defensive ones. By no means is Subban a slam dunk,but if we draft a couple of high-risk high-reward prospects like Subban every year, every now and then one of them should turn out as an impact player. So far we haven't had pick turn into an impact player since Edler(unless you count Hodgson, who was a top-10 pick).

I'd rather get one 1st line forward/top pairing defenseman every 4 years than a 2-3rd liner every other year from picks in the later rounds.

Although I agree he's probably gone by our pick. But if he is there I'll be really disappointed if we pass over him for some guy with size, a mean streak, and little else.

Old
04-17-2013, 11:48 AM
PRNuck

Quote:
I think size is less important for offensive dmen than defensive ones. By no means is Subban a slam dunk,but if we draft a couple of high-risk high-reward prospects like Subban every year, every now and then one of them should turn out as an impact player. So far we haven't had pick turn into an impact player since Edler(unless you count Hodgson, who was a top-10 pick).

I'd rather get one 1st line forward/top pairing defenseman every 4 years than a 2-3rd liner every other year from picks in the later rounds.

Although I agree he's probably gone by our pick. But if he is there I'll be really disappointed if we pass over him for some guy with size, a mean streak, and little else.
The way I look at it is this: Ryan Ellis had waaaaay more points than him at the same age and look at the struggles he's had. And Subban is smaller than him.

Old
04-17-2013, 11:51 AM
arsmaster

Quote:

See, this is where I feel your assessment is fundamentally flawed.

Is Subban actually a 1st pairing defensman? I'd say no. I'd say there are almost too many things to hope goes right, in order for him to get close, especially at 5'9". Look at Ballard vs Backes last night....I'm not sure I want to bank on a tiny guy like that having to handle the 230lbs forwards around the league. And to me that is a what a top line defensman does.

Guys like Subban and Slepyshev(you mentioned him earlier) are skilled players, but you need more than skill to be a 1st liner or a top pair guy.

I mean look around the league - Dave Backes was drafted as a low upside physical pick...he dominated the game last night.

I'd take a 2nd liner with other physical attributes to a dimunitive 1st liner....just look at the Schroeder pick. Dimunitive 1st line talent (pre-draft projections) and we didn't take a slower skating, larger C, with the size and grit quotient who went 10 or so picks later....Ryan O'Reilly. I get that hindsight is 20-20 and I am still in favour of the Schoreder pick, but small with upside is often much riskier than safe and effective.

Old
04-17-2013, 11:55 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
The way I look at it is this: Ryan Ellis had waaaaay more points than him at the same age and look at the struggles he's had. And Subban is smaller than him.
If Ryan Ellis were available in the 3rd round, you'd better hope we take him and run.

Regardless, trying to project NHL success solely on the amount of points they got in junior is futile. It's not as though there will never be a successful small defenseman in the NHL unless he gets more points than Ellis did in junior.

Old
04-17-2013, 01:13 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Subban = Ballard

Old
04-17-2013, 01:51 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
Subban = Ballard
So he's an excellent 3rd round pick then?

Old
04-17-2013, 02:08 PM
Alflives

Quote:
I guarantee you that Tambellini isn't a top 10 pick. I will bet anything you want. Name the terms.

In fact, I would be surprised if he's gone within the first two rounds, let alone top 10. And the Canucks would be wasting a 1st round pick if they went after him in round 1. Just because he has a name you recognize doesn't mean he's an elite prospect. He's a guy you look at in the 3rd or 4th rounds, not the first.
Let's wait and see where the future top six NHL foward is taken this June.

Old
04-17-2013, 02:49 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
If Ryan Ellis were available in the 3rd round, you'd better hope we take him and run.

Regardless, trying to project NHL success solely on the amount of points they got in junior is futile. It's not as though there will never be a successful small defenseman in the NHL unless he gets more points than Ellis did in junior.
We're talking Subban in the third? Yeah I'm on board with that. I see some stupid team taking him early 2nd.

Closed Thread