HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Cap Space and Roster Freedom That Isn't.

Old
05-02-2013, 11:28 AM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
The Cap Space and Roster Freedom That Isn't.

There have been a lot of talk here and everywhere about the Salary Cap space and freedom that the Winnipeg Jets are walking into this off-season. Word is that the Jets are poised to take on salary in trades and throw gobs of cash around in free agency, but is this true?

Not really. I did a detailed breakdown of the Winnipeg Jets Salary Cap situation and it basically amounts to the Jets having Somewhere between 6 and 10 Million dollars worth of cap space IF they let all of their UFAs walk.

That Caps space is before the Jets add a left handed D man to replace Ron or Clitty, before they add a #2RW and before they sign a backup goalie.

The Jets really aren't in a situation to make big moves this off-season. Even trading Byfuglien doesn't do a ton of good Cap wise. Anyways, here is the piece.

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2013/...space-problems

Is the Jets upcoming freedom truly overblown? Do you think Chevy will make a few massive trades and overhaul the roster, or will be more of the same slow and steady build.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:34 AM
SensibleGuy

Thats a decent amount of space when you consider how many teams are in the opposite sitch - having to get rid of guys to get below the cap.

SensibleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:49 AM
Flair Hay

vCash: 50
Hopefully Chevy can get Little, Wheeler and Bogo to stay for a little less than some of us are fearing. Having guys take a home town discount of even half a mil can make a big difference in depth if you can get 3 or 4 players to buy into it.

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:51 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensibleGuy View Post
Thats a decent amount of space when you consider how many teams are in the opposite sitch - having to get rid of guys to get below the cap.
I really don't think that many teams are in difficult salary crunches.

Only two teams will be above without making a move.

*The Flyers will be dumping Bryz and writing Pronger off to free up 10MM.
*The Nucks will be moving away from Lu and probably booth to free up 9MM.

Still, definitely better to be below that above though.

Old
05-02-2013, 11:57 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
Hopefully Chevy can get Little, Wheeler and Bogo to stay for a little less than some of us are fearing. Having guys take a home town discount of even half a mil can make a big difference in depth if you can get 3 or 4 players to buy into it.
One of the Sedins said something like... Good teams need all of their players to play above the value of their cap hit. Very true IMO.

Old
05-02-2013, 12:06 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post

Yes, but those teams will also have RFAs and UFAs that want a raise.

Were not in the most ideal situation, but far from a bad one. Were currently 18th in payroll and should have some space. Instead of buying out Jokinen, we may have to hold some salary to move him. Sure, Olli at 4.5 is horrendous, but Olli at 2m? Then maybe a team will be interested. And perhaps he'll play better and be worth his contract.

Also remember that cap space prorates. If we are under the cap by 6 million for awhile, we can sign/trade for a bigger salary than that if we bank up some space.

JetsHomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:21 PM
WPGNYRFan

Quote:
There have been a lot of talk here and everywhere about the Salary Cap space and freedom that the Winnipeg Jets are walking into this off-season. Word is that the Jets are poised to take on salary in trades and throw gobs of cash around in free agency, but is this true?
Where did this word come from? From everything I had heard, that's exactly the opposite of what the Jets management was planning to do. Wasn't the whole plan to mostly build from within?

WPGNYRFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:28 PM
Channelcat

They way I see it, we are moving into a new era of NHL hockey. Most teams will probably have "cap crunch" situations next year and have to make moves to create space and allow for change. Teams that make one or two bad signings will be out of the race as every dollar will be critical. Minnesota for example will need to trim 7M, this while paying nearly 23M to three players!!! Heatley, Parise and Suter will all need to have "all star" seasons for them to even compete. I think you'll also see signings earlier this off season as players will be eager to eat up cap space while its available. Potentially we may see a situation where very good players are left without NHL deals and there will certainly be an uproar within the PA. In any case its going to be a while before the GMs, players and agents can come to terms with the new CBA, as they aren't the brightest lot to begin with (at least the gm's aren't).

Channelcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:30 PM
almostawake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Yes, but those teams will also have RFAs and UFAs that want a raise.
To be blunt I just don't see it.

Vancouver will have to make a decision on Roy, but after that they have Raymond and Tanev, maybe Lapierre? They can trade/compliance Luongo and Ballard

Philladelphia has no players coming up for a significant raise. Pronger is permanent LTIR now and they'll likely compliance Briere.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPGNYRFan View Post
Where did this word come from? From everything I had heard, that's exactly the opposite of what the Jets management was planning to do. Wasn't the whole plan to mostly build from within?
I hope that Chevy continues with his original plan of building the franchise methodically, and not making rash moves with the hope of jumping up a few notches in the short term. I'd love for the Jets to get some playoff action, but not at the expense of building a strong and lasting foundation. That means managing assets and avoiding over-valuing the current roster.

I would have liked them to try to pick up an extra pick or two for Hainsey at the deadline, but am okay with Chevy's decision not to undermine the efforts of the team. But in general, I would like him to build a strong foundation of young players that can replace older players from within the organization. Right now, the cupboard is pretty bare due to several sub-par drafts in a row. In the 7 Thrasher drafts between 2004 and 2010, only 5 players have established themselves as NHL regulars.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:42 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 371
Quote:

Minnesota is at $64.3 without Bouchard, Clutterbuck, Falk, Clarke, or Backstrom resigned. They're royally screwed.

Personally think people are over rating what RFA's are going to get this off season. There isn't enough money to go around.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:42 PM
sully1410
#EggosForEleven

vCash: 127
I imagine that our RFA's will probably take the home town discount if you will...but outside of that, I see a few key additions but I don't see a mass amount of trades tbh. Maybe one or two to really upgrade out offense.

If I was the GM I would be actively shopping Buff right now for a good return, actively trying to get one more first round pick to either get two nice pieces or move up a bit on the draft and get a better piece.

Outside of obtaining a LHD and a #2 RW...which in my mind is Buff's return, I don't see a lot happening. Whether be trade or FA, Id be ok with it...just as long as those holes are filled.

If they aren't...then I'll be pissed.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:50 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostawake View Post
To be blunt I just don't see it.

Vancouver will have to make a decision on Roy, but after that they have Raymond and Tanev, maybe Lapierre? They can trade/compliance Luongo and Ballard

Philladelphia has no players coming up for a significant raise. Pronger is permanent LTIR now and they'll likely compliance Briere.
Giroux alone is going to be getting a 5m dollar raise.

JetsHomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:52 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPGNYRFan View Post
Many in the media have pointed to the Jets cap space and suggested that this is the year Chevy will reshape the team. You are right though. Going nutso on free agency would be uncharacteristic.

Old
05-02-2013, 12:53 PM
almostawake

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Minnesota is at $64.3 without Bouchard, Clutterbuck, Falk, Clarke, or Backstrom resigned. They're royally screwed.

Personally think people are over rating what RFA's are going to get this off season. There isn't enough money to go around.
No, Minnesota is at 55M without signing any of their free agents.

Old
05-02-2013, 12:54 PM
almostawake

Quote:
Giroux isn't a FA this summer.

Old
05-02-2013, 12:55 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 371
Quote:
Giroux has another year at his contract. And a $5 million raise would put him higher than Crosby...

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:57 PM
SensibleGuy

I don't think very many of us are expecting a whole bunch of moves from chevy either. All I'm hoping is that he can improve the second line to help Kane out really. Other than that I'm not really expecting any major changes - maybe little upgrades here and there.

I think the whole "this is the year chevy will re-shape the team thing" is a consequence of the number of guys that are ufa's this year. There will be changes, but I don't think those will necessarily be big money changes...

SensibleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:03 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

If you look at what position teams were in when they won the cup, it frequently seems to be that they have:

1. a core of good pieces in their mid to late 20's - early 30's
2. a number of big roles filled by players playing well above their cap hit (commonly players in their ELC or 'bridge" contracts)
3. a goalie who can steal a series/get hot.

looking at the jets current situation a decision pretty much HAS to be made this off season.

If we're going to make a run with ladd little wheeler enstrom and buff(or bogo for that matter) then we need to move toward it now, and be doing it in two years.

that way, you get all of these players performing at their price point and in their prime, plus (hopefully) the additions of Schiefel, Trouba and possibly Lowry/o'dell/thisyears1st all contributing on their ELC's for two years.

Then the only real piece is determining if Pavelec is the goalie who can take us. Personally for all i rag on pavelec, he definitly is the type of goalie who can steal a series and get hot, unfortunately that hotstreak has historically been midseason.

I feel the time for *****footing is over. Either we're trying to win with LLW and Enstrom and buff as our expensive pieces, or we're going to be trying to win with Kane Bogo (already expensive), Schiefele and Trouaba as our expensive core (4+ years from now).

This sort of situation is exactly how Chicago, Boston, Pittsburgh, (la had these pieces but, being in the highest cap situation of the three, was able to move the "young core" for well signed olderpieces).

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:42 PM
Tarks
True North

Quote:

Expect Minesota to buy out Heatley's contract. That will free up 7.5 mil. Cullen will sign for cheap, he wants to finish his career in Minnesota. Bouchard will get a pay cut, Clutterbuck will get a raise and Backstrom sould get around 6 mil again. I think the Wild will be ok when all is said and done.

Tarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:45 PM
Duke749
Formerly "BigTuna49"

vCash: 615
Quote:
Giroux has another year at his contract. And a $5 million raise would put him higher than Crosby...
Crosby took, and has taken, discounts because he is very superstitious. Why do you think his cap hit is 8.7?

Duke749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:00 PM
allan5oh
Has prospect fever

vCash: 82
$8.4 million for two roster spots is a lot of space. We can always trade buff or buy out Jokinen. I think $14 million for little/Bogo/wheeler is a touch low.

I'm not concerned at all, except maybe the fact that we spend $11 million on our top d pair.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:05 PM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 777
I don't want them to make any big moves. Big moves are for Stanley cup contenders. Not teams trying to build there way out of mediocrity

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:20 PM
King Woodballs

vCash: 375
There will be more then enough cap room to get done, what needs to get done.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:54 PM
meedle

vCash: 3181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
If you look at what position teams were in when they won the cup, it frequently seems to be that they have:

1. a core of good pieces in their mid to late 20's - early 30's
2. a number of big roles filled by players playing well above their cap hit (commonly players in their ELC or 'bridge" contracts)
3. a goalie who can steal a series/get hot.

looking at the jets current situation a decision pretty much HAS to be made this off season.

If we're going to make a run with ladd little wheeler enstrom and buff(or bogo for that matter) then we need to move toward it now, and be doing it in two years.

that way, you get all of these players performing at their price point and in their prime, plus (hopefully) the additions of Schiefel, Trouba and possibly Lowry/o'dell/thisyears1st all contributing on their ELC's for two years.

Then the only real piece is determining if Pavelec is the goalie who can take us. Personally for all i rag on pavelec, he definitly is the type of goalie who can steal a series and get hot, unfortunately that hotstreak has historically been midseason.

I feel the time for *****footing is over. Either we're trying to win with LLW and Enstrom and buff as our expensive pieces, or we're going to be trying to win with Kane Bogo (already expensive), Schiefele and Trouaba as our expensive core (4+ years from now).

This sort of situation is exactly how Chicago, Boston, Pittsburgh, (la had these pieces but, being in the highest cap situation of the three, was able to move the "young core" for well signed olderpieces).
Personally I think we are going to have to wait another 5 years to make a good run. We don't have the depth or the assets. I also believe will need a new goalie and coach as well by that point.

meedle is offline   Reply With Quote