HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Jets coaching discussion (Noel sucks! Noel rules! and everything in between)

View Poll Results: Should the Jets extend Claude Noel? (Contract expires in 2014)
Yes (1 year extension) 28 38.89%
Yes (multi-year extension) 19 26.39%
No 25 34.72%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-05-2013, 08:14 AM
broinwhyteridge

vCash: 50
CBC dorks brought up Hawerchuk to Jets as Head Coach again yesterday. As usual, a few weeks behind when dealing with anything outside Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver.

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 01:22 PM
Mathmew Purrrr Oh
#meowmeowmeowmeow

Quote:
Originally Posted by meedle View Post
Where there is smoke there is fire. I'd be happy if it came true
I would be terrified if it came true.

No offense to one of my all-timers, but I don't think he's that good of a CHL coach, nevermind an NHL one.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 01:24 PM
allan5oh
Has prospect fever

vCash: 82
I have no problem with him getting an extension of a year so he's not a lame duck coach, but I also have no problem with Chevy letting him go half way through the season when it's clear he cannot get results. But in contrast Chevy must give him a deeper roster.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 01:56 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus tacitus View Post

No offense to one of my all-timers, but I don't think he's that good of a CHL coach, nevermind an NHL one.
It's true...
Barrie fans consistently tout the team as winning despite their coach, not due to it.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 02:05 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
It's true...
Barrie fans consistently tout the team as winning despite their coach, not due to it.
Yup, he isn't nearly experienced enough for an NHL head coach gig.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 02:12 PM
ps241
Playoff push 2017

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
It's true...
Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
Yup, he isn't nearly experienced enough for an NHL head coach gig.
Count me squarely in this camp! If this was true I would look for the highest bridge to jump off of because we would be in allot of trouble as an organization at the coaching level and above it. Edmonton East anyone

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 02:55 PM
cbcwpg

Just me, but before Chevy goes out and starts to fire the coach, shouldn't the coach have at least a season with the tools in place to give him a chance to succeed? Which Noel hasn't had yet. Chevy basically said that year 1 was going to be to evaluate what they had, and of no fault of his own, the lockout in year 2 screwed it up for most teams trying to make changes. So really, nothing has been done by Chevy to put the players in place to see if Noel is a good coach or not. JMO.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 03:11 PM
puck stoppa

Noel has done a fine job with an average roster.
One thing that needs to improve and it's obvious, and that's the PP. I really don't like the way the Jets setup their PP. It seems the top units like WSH and TB run an umbrella with one guy on the point in the middle and two shooters on the half wall. I think we can run something similar with our top unit. We can have Bogo at the top with Buff on the left half wall and Ladd on the other side. That would give us three great shooters at the top and we wouldn't be as predictable as we are now going thru Buff all the time. Our top unit still needs to make quicker more decisive passes but this setup would give us more options. And we can setup different with PP2. Im not sure if this is the right thread for this but I really hope Pearn goes to this setup as we have the guys in place where this could work. Then Toby and Trouba can play on PP2 in a more traditional PP setup. Just a thought Ive had for a while.

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 03:13 PM
GrandChelems

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Just me, but before Chevy goes out and starts to fire the coach, shouldn't the coach have at least a season with the tools in place to give him a chance to succeed? Which Noel hasn't had yet. Chevy basically said that year 1 was going to be to evaluate what they had, and of no fault of his own, the lockout in year 2 screwed it up for most teams trying to make changes. So really, nothing has been done by Chevy to put the players in place to see if Noel is a good coach or not. JMO.
Agreed. With the way Noel turns the lumps of coal that Chevy serves up into legitimate players and gets the best out of them, he should be getting more praise.

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 03:49 PM
Bob E

Well for me it also depends on who is available. If Chevy thinks this team needs a change but no one he likes is available, then do you stick with Noel for a year?

Interested to see what happens with Moosimin's and former UND player Dave Tippett. His contract is up July 1st.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 05:57 PM
DWD

I think Noels done a good job with what he has been given. As far as Dave Tippet goes, I do not want him and his crap system anywhere near this team.

DWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 08:04 PM
Mathmew Purrrr Oh
#meowmeowmeowmeow

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
One thing that needs to improve and it's obvious, and that's the PP. I really don't like the way the Jets setup their PP. It seems the top units like WSH and TB run an umbrella with one guy on the point in the middle and two shooters on the half wall. I think we can run something similar with our top unit. We can have Bogo at the top with Buff on the left half wall and Ladd on the other side. That would give us three great shooters at the top and we wouldn't be as predictable as we are now going thru Buff all the time. Our top unit still needs to make quicker more decisive passes but this setup would give us more options. And we can setup different with PP2. Im not sure if this is the right thread for this but I really hope Pearn goes to this setup as we have the guys in place where this could work. Then Toby and Trouba can play on PP2 in a more traditional PP setup. Just a thought Ive had for a while.
honestly, I think there's like 4 teams in the nhl with the personnel that could successfully run a 1-3-1 pp and we aren't one of them

The condensed schedule/lack of practice time really hurt the struggling pp because repetition really does play such a massive part in learning a new system

Old
05-05-2013, 08:35 PM
allan5oh
Has prospect fever

vCash: 82
Quote:
The condensed schedule/lack of practice time really hurt the struggling pp because repetition really does play such a massive part in learning a new system
I don't buy it, look at Ottawa.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 08:50 PM
Mathmew Purrrr Oh
#meowmeowmeowmeow

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
I don't buy it, look at Ottawa.
well I know they finished poorly, but didn't see/track enough games for any argument of mine to be anything other than anecdotal w/o looking deeper

all I know is Pearn ran a decent pp in Montreal and fell on his face with this team - 2 largest outlying factors are personnel and schedule

I just think it's too early to tell at this point

I mean if they fired Pearn I wouldn't have a problem with it or anything, I'm just unconvinced he can't be a help

Old
05-05-2013, 10:20 PM
lablite47

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
Every coach would like to setup their PP like that of WSH & TB if only they had players that could pass the puck around and handle it as if it were on a string, unfortunately very few teams actually have this, and in particular the Jets do not have anyone that coudld ever accomplish this, no matter who the coach. So IMO Noel is doing as best he can with the people he has.

lablite47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 11:51 PM
Bob E

Wonder if Alain Vigneault will be available soon?

Old
05-06-2013, 12:47 AM
sully1410
#EggosForEleven

vCash: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Wonder if Alain Vigneault will be available soon?
No thanks. That guy is a moron.

He does the exact same stuff that we get on Noel about, except worse.

He is not agressive enough to be able to take this team anywhere. Have you seen his coaching style when the Canucks have the lead? Dump the puck in. Rinse and repeat until time runs out.

Who the hell starts Luongo the next game after he gets shelled for eight goals...in the cup finals no less? AV.

Not a good fit for this team, IMO.

But I do expect he'll be searching for a new job. Him and Mike Gillis both.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 12:54 AM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
No thanks. That guy is a moron.

He does the exact same stuff that we get on Noel about, except worse.

He is not agressive enough to be able to take this team anywhere. Have you seen his coaching style when the Canucks have the lead? Dump the puck in. Rinse and repeat until time runs out.

Who the hell starts Luongo the next game after he gets shelled for eight goals...in the cup finals no less? AV.

Not a good fit for this team, IMO.

But I do expect he'll be searching for a new job. Him and Mike Gillis both.
Ya, didn't mean to give him an endorsement, just wondering if he'll soon be unemployed. He definitely hasn't handled his goaltending this series. Luongo is his best option and that relationship is strained at best.

Old
05-06-2013, 02:21 AM
sully1410
#EggosForEleven

vCash: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Ya, didn't mean to give him an endorsement, just wondering if he'll soon be unemployed. He definitely hasn't handled his goaltending this series. Luongo is his best option and that relationship is strained at best.
Oh he definitely will be. If Im Gillis I fire him ASAP. It's pretty clear that the guy isn't going to get you a cup, time to find someone that will.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 08:23 AM
jorbjorb
hello.

our line up is full of mediocre players. Noel almost got us into the playoofs.

He should stay a few more years.

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 09:09 AM
hockey-brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorbjorb View Post

I agree with this.

hockey-brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 09:19 AM
Gm0ney
Unicorns salient

Quote:

As much as I like what he's done with the powerplay, and agree that his personnel decisions are rock solid (except maybe when Jokinen wasn't working as 2nd line C, he should've tried him on the 1st line?), I'm not sure I want to watch the team just miss the playoffs for a few more years.

Seriously though, I'm firmly in the "maybe let's just hold off on this extension business" camp...

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 09:20 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:

Lots of teams are full of similarly mediocre players or have similar depth issues.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 09:27 AM
Channelcat

Quote:

I disagree completely. Considering that we played in the weakest division. Considering that Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal all made the playoffs. Also with respect to our line up, I don't see it as a being under talented, rather I see it as underachieving.

But honestly my criticism of Noel stems more from what I see the team doing than from actual results. I don't think Claude understands the schemes. How often have you had to do a double take to make sure we aren't short handed when we start running around in our own end for a full shift? This a team that continually collapses in the defensive zone, a team that doesn't apply forward pressure, a team that doesn't put put bodies in front of the net, a team that can't establish lines (other than Ladd Little Wheeler) so at some point you have to consider maybe its not just a case of the players not doing what they are told.

Channelcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
\_(ツ)_/

Awards:
Have to say, I'm really surprised by the poll results here, specifically the number of people voting no. You're alright with having a lame duck coach behind the bench?

I'm thinking some might not realize how exceedingly common it is for coaches to get canned with a year or two left on their contract. Not re-upping Noel's contract essentially sends a message that he's not only on the hot seat, but that he's more or less a placeholder coach, much like Renney was two seasons ago.

I would understand if this was a rebuilding team, but IMO you need to send the right message by extending him.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote