HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

What is the WCHA doing that....

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2005, 02:11 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
What is the WCHA doing that....

Hockey East, the CCHA and ECACHL are not?

Not too long after the Frozen Four, I've read several articles that made such comparisons and found the opinions & comments made have fascinated me. Although, I must say that I don't entirely agree with them all.

Now putting aside all team biases, etc. what do you all think the WCHA has done (and continues to do to this day) that makes them such an outstanding conference?

Is it better:

a) recruiting
b) coaching
c) systems
d) depth of talent
e) (and/or) tougher schedule

What do you all feel needs to happen in the other three top conferences (if anything) that should/must get them to the WCHA's level?

Please do not answer these questions based upon the performances of just one or two teams within the conference. The questions I'm posing here are more about and relative to the ENTIRE conference, not just a few teams.

Old
04-18-2005, 02:52 PM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 643
I think it could be a combination of all of them. Most WCHA teams have recruiting pipelines (not saying the other schools don't just that the pipelines the WCHA has are for better junior leagues)
They seem to play a more wide open style, there are less penalties called, although i think that is because the WCHA refs don't stick to calling it tight like the other leagues do.
And most WCHA teams will play anyone, anywhere, and a lot of teams won't...they want to use their N/C schedule to get wins and play home games more for money, so a lot of times it seems the WCHA teams are more battle hardened.
And typically over the last few years, there is no such thing as an easy conference game...all the teams are bent on improving and making a run at anything they can get because for a lot of the schools, hockey is THE sport which is not the case for a lot of others.

Old
04-18-2005, 04:14 PM
kalehr

I think Rabid Husky is absolutely correct in what he says. But I also think there is a general difference in the commitment the WCHA schools have made to hockey that may be lacking in other conferences. You can see the commitment in terms of things such as facilities and fan support and possibly even the coaching staffs (please, no flaming on that point, OK?). Recruits naturally want to come someplace where they know hockey is one of the top sports on campus. They quite naturally want to play for programs that have demonstrated a long-term commitment to the sport, and they can see that in terms of facilities and player development. They also want to play for schools and conferences that get a lot of media attention, and they want to play in big-time venues in front of big-time numbers of fans. They generally get all of these things with most of the teams in the WCHA, and I'm not so sure these factors are as prevalent in the other conferences. All of these things make it pretty attractive to recruits, and I think it definitely gives the WCHA an advantage over most of the other conferences.

But as we all know, conference dominance is often a cyclical thing. One of the good things that comes out of this type of dominance is that it makes other schools and conferences improve their programs and commitment to D-1 hockey. In the end, that can only be a good thing for college hockey, for the fans and for the players, as we will most likely end up seeing an improved product on the ice.

Old
04-18-2005, 04:50 PM
Rabid Husky

Yes it usually is cyclical but this was the conference's 34th title in 58 years...and yes that includes ones from former members Michigan and Nortern Michigan but it just usually seems that the WCHA is always there..and the status hockey has at those schools is a big reason why

Old
04-18-2005, 05:03 PM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 2900
If u look at college hockey, minnesota as a state puts out tons of top players. The WCHA keeps most on the minnesotans in the sate or on border schools. And to think we lost guys like Thelen and Eaves to other conferences. Not that Michagen and Boston do not put out great players too, but some of them go to CHL. Shattucks is based in MN. Parise, Crosby, Parise(G), Stafford, Smaby and soon Okoposo. With the devolpment team in MI it hurts that there are so many MN's there. The USHL is basically in the MidWest which is WCHA area. Many think that the gophers recruted Waibel so hard was to get his friend Ballard. And i believe that the frenship between Stoa, Frazee, and Mueller helped land out of state Kessel. tDon is great at recruting down the road. Grant Potulny was great but Ryan and Danny followed him. And now that we got our foot in the door and the devolpent program, We have Mueller, Kessel, Frazee, Johnson, Carmen, Stoa and had Hagemo last year.

Old
04-18-2005, 06:14 PM
Prof_it

some great points raised in this thread.

HF did a Q&A with Chucko about a week ago. Two quotes really stuck out and I think are relevant to the conversation.

"The speed of the game has been a big adjustment for me coming out of the BCHL. The knock on me was my skating, but that was the reason why I came here. Minnesota forces me to become a better skater."

"The bigger rink at Mariucci forces me to become a better skater. The style that they play here is not a boring style of hockey. Like in the BCHL, I could play somewhere else on an NHL-sized rink and play the rough and tough style but here it forces me to work on my skills and make me more of an all-around player."

I thought it was indicative of Chucko's character and intangibles that he chose to focus on a self-perceived weakness by going to a school and conference that would force him to play away from his strength. But it is also telling that a recruit of Chucko's caliber noticed the difference in style. I'm sure others do as well.

Old
04-18-2005, 06:15 PM
kalehr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Husky
Yes it usually is cyclical but this was the conference's 34th title in 58 years...and yes that includes ones from former members Michigan and Nortern Michigan but it just usually seems that the WCHA is always there..and the status hockey has at those schools is a big reason why
Yes, I know that, but I was just throwing the other conferences a bone. Just trying to minimize some of that infamous Gopher/WCHA hockey arrogance we're always accused of having.

Old
04-19-2005, 02:52 AM
Rabid Husky

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalehr
Yes, I know that, but I was just throwing the other conferences a bone. Just trying to minimize some of that infamous Gopher/WCHA hockey arrogance we're always accused of having.

Ah...someone who knows me

But as you can see from the other posts in this thread...the arrogance still reigns......

*AHEM*
Hey guys.....Oilers Chick said the whole conference not just the Gophers.

Old
04-19-2005, 03:26 AM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Thanks Rabid.

Many interesting points of view (certainly more intriguing than much of the published "fluff" that I've been reading. I knew I could count on you all for some no-punches-pulled honest opinions).

Let me add to what has been said thus far and then you all can comment.

1) recruiting - while the USHL is located (predominantly in the upper midwest), I think many of you are discounting the increased visibility and quality of the NAHL and EJHL, not to mention Canadian Junior "A" leagues such as the BCHL and the AJHL. I think depending upon budgetary constraints and geography, some teams will recruit more heavily out of developmental leagues that are closer to them, to save on the travel and whatever headaches that it may bring. However, there are always exceptions to the rule.

2) kalehr mentioned facilities and commitment to hockey being other factors in the recruiting process. If you look at Hockey East, many of their buildings are either less than 10 or so years old or have gone through major facelifts, and then of course there's the Taj Mahal of the HEA known as Agganis Arena (from what I understand it's pretty darn nice). That all said, Hockey East could certainly compete on that level, with the only exception possibly being that none of the facilities seats 10,000+ like Mariucci and Kohl does.

Hockey East schools, most anyway, are equally as committed to their college hockey programs as the WCHA is. Overall, I think the same could be said for the other two conferences. So IMO commitments isn't a huge issue unless you're talking about teams in either turmoil such as Merrimack or have problems putting butts in the seats no matter how well a team does (AIC is one team that comes to mind here).

One factor that I feel does play a big part is scholarships (or in the case of the Ivies, the so-called "Aid in need packages"). The scholarships is what's going to get a blue chip recruit to such and such school over another school. That said, just because a big time school such as a Minnesota, BC or Michigan recruits a player doesn't necessarily mean he's going to go there. I've seen many, many players who've been recruited by the aforementioned teams and other elite schools like them where the player will pass on and go to another (often less elite, hockey-wise) school instead.

Also, another factor (and this applies more to lesser known schools, particularly in the AHC and CHA), trips to the NCAA tournament and eventually Frozen Four. It's about exposure and success.

Old
04-19-2005, 01:00 PM
Rabid Husky

Well SOMEONE has to keep these things on track

Old
04-21-2005, 02:40 PM
rlhotka

Not tring to be a richard but Minnesota puts out more players and there are developed better.

Old
04-21-2005, 09:05 PM
Rabid Husky

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhotka
Not tring to be a richard but Minnesota puts out more players and there are developed better.
in terms of what? Pro ability? I'm honestly not sure what you are getting at here. And honestly in terms of players in the pros....SCSU has actully put the same amount of guys in the NHL the last five years as MN has.

"puts out more players" What does this statement mean? As a state yes they do produce more college level D-1 hockey players than any other state but they don't obviously all go to MN....so what it is it that you mean exactly

Old
04-24-2005, 07:50 AM
PuckFan01

Quote:
in terms of what? Pro ability? I'm honestly not sure what you are getting at here. And honestly in terms of players in the pros....SCSU has actully put the same amount of guys in the NHL the last five years as MN has.

"puts out more players" What does this statement mean? As a state yes they do produce more college level D-1 hockey players than any other state but they don't obviously all go to MN....so what it is it that you mean exactly
I don't think his comment is that difficult to figure out. He is talking about how the overall state produces better talent. I think he is correct. It seems to me that you are having a bit of a knee jerk reaction and assuming he is only talking about one program (clearly a program you must not like. Maybe because they are highly successful?)

I think the comments about a school's commitment to their program is a part of the reason the WCHA is better. I also think kids out elsewhere may not be as loyal to the college game as they are in the midwest. Midwest kids (MN kids in particular) really grow up with a love for college hockey. So the best talent is rarely siphoned off by Canadian Jrs. It seems that a number of talented kids in Michigan and the eastern states don't grow up with that same kind of attitude about the college game and that might be playing a part in the WCHA's success since the league makes abundant use of MN kids.

It doesn't hurt that the USHL is right there for the WCHA either. Really there isn't much of a comparison between the USHL and the other recruited junior leagues out there. The BCHL is probably the closest but even they lag far behind in terms of depth and quality of play. The NAHL and EJHL are not even close to the USHL.

With the exception of a couple of WCHA schools, the coaching is pretty high quality. That doesn't hurt matters.

Old
04-25-2005, 01:13 AM
Rabid Husky

I know all that...but MN players don't just play in the WCHA although a majority of them do. I took the comments as saying just the University of MN (not that it would shock me.....knowing the arrogance of their fans)

And my problem with MN mostly has to do with their fan base...SCSU is a large rival for them and the battles are always heated...I have great respect for their program....its the fan base who wants me to worship them because they wear the M...and saying my school is nothing and always will be.....I'm fiercely loyal....part of my nature and I've never taken kindly to that

Old
04-25-2005, 03:46 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckFan01
I don't think his comment is that difficult to figure out. He is talking about how the overall state produces better talent. I think he is correct. It seems to me that you are having a bit of a knee jerk reaction and assuming he is only talking about one program (clearly a program you must not like. Maybe because they are highly successful?)

I think the comments about a school's commitment to their program is a part of the reason the WCHA is better. I also think kids out elsewhere may not be as loyal to the college game as they are in the midwest. Midwest kids (MN kids in particular) really grow up with a love for college hockey. So the best talent is rarely siphoned off by Canadian Jrs. It seems that a number of talented kids in Michigan and the eastern states don't grow up with that same kind of attitude about the college game and that might be playing a part in the WCHA's success since the league makes abundant use of MN kids.

It doesn't hurt that the USHL is right there for the WCHA either. Really there isn't much of a comparison between the USHL and the other recruited junior leagues out there. The BCHL is probably the closest but even they lag far behind in terms of depth and quality of play. The NAHL and EJHL are not even close to the USHL.

With the exception of a couple of WCHA schools, the coaching is pretty high quality. That doesn't hurt matters.
I agree with some of this post. But I strongly disagree about the part where you state that a big reason why the WCHA is better than the other conferences has to do with the schools commitments to their programs and I cited Hockey East as an example of where the support of the schools to their programs rivals that of WCHA programs. While I think the WCHA schools in general do a heckuva job supporting their programs, I also feel that Hockey East has done the same. There are also schools such as Cornell in the ECAC that also have fiercely loyal support by the school (ever tried getting a ticket to ANY game at Lynah lately?)

When you mention love for the college game, you also forgot to mention the lure of the pros (and the money, etc. that goes with it). Bochenski, Parise, Suter and Ballard are all examples of former WCHA players who were born in Minnesota (with the exception of Suter who was born in Wisconsin) who bolted college early for the pros. How are they any different from say an Andy Hilbert, Mike Komisarek or Ryan Whitney? and where is the school loyalty there? Not to say that these guys never had any, but none of the aforementioned stayed all four years. If they're loyal to the college game, don't you think that they'd have stayed? I do know that there are many former collegians who do complete their college education after going pro.

Then you say that the talent of other leagues such as the NAHL, EJHL and even BCHL don't even compare and lag far behind. That may be true, but I also believe you are discounting some of the quality and talent that these leagues have produced in recent years. Let's take this season:

Travis Zajac and Kris Chucko - two outstanding talents playing in the WCHA right now. Both came from the BCHL.

David McKee - finalist for the Hobey Baker, set records at Cornell this season and led the nation in many goaltending categories. He came from the NAHL.

Now while these are merely small samples, it does give a glimpse to how the other leagues are doing as far as their progress is concerned.

...and then there's the NTDP based in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Well, they're not the USHL but they'll be sending the WCHA some little known players named Phil Kessel, Jeff Frazee and Jack Skille their way this fall.

Old
04-26-2005, 08:46 PM
PuckFan01

Oilers Chick,

Eight WCHA teams are in the top 15 of attendance. Meaning almost the entire league gets better support than the vast majority of teams elsewhere (only one Hockey East school in the top 10!). Outside of the new BU rink, none of the rinks out east really compare to what you see at MN, North Dakota, Wisconsin, CC and Denver. I don't care if the rinks out east are built in the last ten years or not. Kids would rather play in front of large crowds (whether at home or on the road) in their conference than anything else. I have heard some fans from the best teams out east (specifically BC) who ***** about the weaker attendance they get and not having as good of support.

The money poured into those WCHA programs is in large part why those teams are able to have such high success in luring the top players. That translates to having the best teams more often than not.

When talking about loyalty to college game, you are taking my remarks out of context in terms of bringing up guys who leave early for the NHL. I am talking about they are loyal to the ROUTE of college hockey as the way to get to the pro game. I wasn't saying the players are less apt to leave for the NHL.

My point is if the best talent from a hockey rich area isn't being diluted in different directions (like half in Major Jr. and half in college), then the schools that recruit that area well are likely to benefit.

For instance, it is rare for MN kids to go the WHL. The few that have gone that route have generally not been the best players from the area. The reason? Because MN's hockey "culture" is all about playing D-1 college hockey. Kids are brought up seeing how great college hockey is (specifically WCHA hockey) and they don't care about Major Jr. That certainly can't be said about Michigan and the eastern U.S. because a decent number of players in those areas seem to be more willing to play Major Jr.

Since that top Minnesota bred talent is the backbone of the WCHA (and also makes up a lot of the USHL), it is no wonder the teams in the league do so well. They take full advantage of the situation.

Finally, while I certainly agree that some of the junior leagues you mention do develop some good players like the ones you mentioned, it is the overall quality and depth of the league I am talking about. Kids who come out of the USHL and the NTDP are much better equipped to play college hockey in their first year than they are in leagues whose talent isn't as high and isn't as deep (BCHL, AJHL, NAHL, etc.). If you league isn't as deep or as talented overall, you won't be challenged as much and you won't be as prepared for the next level. It is sort of like comparing the AHL to another pro minor league. The AHL is clearly the best but that doesn't mean the other minor leagues out there don't have any talent. Just that those other pro minor leagues aren't as good or as deep as the AHL and likely won't prepare a player for the NHL as well.

Last edited by PuckFan01: 04-26-2005 at 08:52 PM.
Old
04-29-2005, 02:34 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Eight WCHA teams are in the top 15 of attendance. Meaning almost the entire league gets better support than the vast majority of teams elsewhere (only one Hockey East school in the top 10!). Outside of the new BU rink, none of the rinks out east really compare to what you see at MN, North Dakota, Wisconsin, CC and Denver. I don't care if the rinks out east are built in the last ten years or not. Kids would rather play in front of large crowds (whether at home or on the road) in their conference than anything else. I have heard some fans from the best teams out east (specifically BC) who ***** about the weaker attendance they get and not having as good of support.
Of course the WCHA is going to have higher attendance numbers (in cold numbers), when you consider that Minnesota, Wisconsin and North Dakota ALL have seating capacities of 10,000+, something that none (as far as I know) of the other schools in the other conferences have.

Now, if you talk about % of seating capacity, number of sell-outs and the like, then I'll bet that the numbers would look different on a conference-by-conference basis. I'll use Hockey East as my example here. In my research, four schools: BC, BU, Maine and UNH all had sell-outs or pretty darn close to them in virtually of the games in their respective home rinks. So to imply that Hockey East doesn't draw or can't draw comparably to the WCHA is incorrect.

Quote:
The money poured into those WCHA programs is in large part why those teams are able to have such high success in luring the top players. That translates to having the best teams more often than not.
I can tell you that BC, BU and Michigan are examples of non-WCHA schools who pours loads of cash into their hockey programs. I'd probably include Maine and UNH as well. I don't dispute the fact that many WCHA schools pours loads of money into their programs, it's one of the reasons why they've been successful.

Quote:
Finally, while I certainly agree that some of the junior leagues you mention do develop some good players like the ones you mentioned, it is the overall quality and depth of the league I am talking about. Kids who come out of the USHL and the NTDP are much better equipped to play college hockey in their first year than they are in leagues whose talent isn't as high and isn't as deep (BCHL, AJHL, NAHL, etc.). If you league isn't as deep or as talented overall, you won't be challenged as much and you won't be as prepared for the next level. It is sort of like comparing the AHL to another pro minor league. The AHL is clearly the best but that doesn't mean the other minor leagues out there don't have any talent. Just that those other pro minor leagues aren't as good or as deep as the AHL and likely won't prepare a player for the NHL as well.
While I agree on this point, I have to say again that I think you are underestimating some of these other leagues. Let's look at some examples. Two players: UND's Travis Zajac and MN's Kris Chucko. Two players who were very highly-touted coming into the WCHA. Both played in the BCHL prior to their arrival. Another very good current WCHA player that also came from the BCHL? DU's Gabe Gauthier.

Among other formidable players from the "other" leagues"

From the AJHL: DU's Jeff Drummond and CC's Richard Petiot.

From the NAHL: Cornell's David McKee, a Hobey Baker Finalist this year and Harvard's Dylan Reese, who was named to USA's 2004 Gold Medal WJC squad before having to bow out due to injury.

Do you see where I'm going with this?

Old
04-29-2005, 02:47 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Just on a logistical basis the WCHA has an advantage over the other conferences in regards to scouting the NAHL, USHL, Western Canada and Minnesota. It takes scouts and recruiters less time to get to teams. Meanwhile 1/3 of D-1 programs are bunched up in New England competing for the same players.

Old
04-29-2005, 08:11 PM
NCAA Hockey Fan

Quote:
The five programs that spend the most money on their hockey programs are in order Wisconsin,Nebraska Omaha,Michigan,UMass,and Denver. In some cases I'd say money dumped into a program helps with the success,but there are alot of other factors that go into a successful program.

Old
04-29-2005, 09:52 PM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 2900
As far as sell outs go. I know the gophers always sell out. There are seats available with it corporate. Any rival game and most any game there is a packed house. WI does not sell out but their arena is huge and they do sell out i think for the minnesota teams and NoDak. NoDak sells out often. I had a tough time getting tickets to see the gophers there. Kids would rather play in front of 9k vs 4k.

The east schools being close does not make sense to me. Minnesota loses players to schools all over the country. Some of the best players too. Eaves, Sertich, Stuart and Thelen all left that mid west core. I know the gophers do not have an out east player. But i do know east schools steal mid west players. I hoestly do not know. But do kids from the east coast go to WCHA all that often?

Old
04-30-2005, 09:31 AM
PuckFan01

So if a team draws 1000 fans and their rink capacity is 1000, this is the same level of "support" as a team that draws 5,000 fans to a 5,000 seat rink? Umm, OK. I guess it depends on how you want to quantify "support". I kind of think that is a bit of a stretch.

As for the BCHL, AJHL, and other leagues, I never said they didn't develop ANY good players. My point was the leagues other than the USHL don't develop as many top players in a yearly basis. I didn't say they don't develop any top players at all. The USHL has superior depth and has a higher quality product because of it. For instance, it is no coincidence that when a top player leaves the BCHL for the USHL (like Brock Bradford), the gaudy numbers they once put up in the BCHL dips significantly in their new league. It is because they can't feed off weaker competition like they once did.

Oiler Chick, earlier in this thread you made the comment "increased visibility and quality" of a league like the NAHL. This is not true for them. The NAHL has dropped a lot in quality in recent years. It is no coincidence that the big surge forward by the USHL coincided with a drop in the NAHL. Long time observers of the league would tell you that.

As for the reasons for the WCHA's success, a lot of the comments outlined by myself and a few others here are the same kinds of comments being said by a number of WCHA coaches. So I guess if anybody has a problem with such arguments, they should take it up with them as well.

Old
05-01-2005, 05:15 PM
Rabid Husky

A sell out is a sell out is it not? Its not the teams fault their building may have only 1/3 or so of the capacity of other schools....but the true measure of attendance isn't announced attendance, its actual butts in the seats. Announced attendance is tckets sold and that almost never translates into the people actually there...SCSU does this all the time, especially because student tickets are always "sold" as they are built into our student fees.
And i know that while Mariucci may be "sold out" it is almost never full

Old
05-02-2005, 04:14 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro
Just on a logistical basis the WCHA has an advantage over the other conferences in regards to scouting the NAHL, USHL, Western Canada and Minnesota. It takes scouts and recruiters less time to get to teams. Meanwhile 1/3 of D-1 programs are bunched up in New England competing for the same players.
I'm going to dispute this to a point because there are non-WCHA schools that recruit heavily out of the regions that you just mentioned. Two examples: Alaska-Fairbanks and UConn. UAF recruits heavily out of Western Canada and their roster reflects that. About one half of the UConn Huskies 04-05 roster came out of either the NAHL or USHL.

Quote:
So if a team draws 1000 fans and their rink capacity is 1000, this is the same level of "support" as a team that draws 5,000 fans to a 5,000 seat rink? Umm, OK. I guess it depends on how you want to quantify "support". I kind of think that is a bit of a stretch.
Many of the top flight teams in the league play in arenas that average anywhere from 4,000 -7,000 fans and I don't see/hear any complaints of 4,000 to 7,000 butts in the seats. The fact that Mariucci, Kohl or the Ralph can hold more doesn't necessarily mean those teams (like the ones I've already mentioned) don't draw. BTW, I'll correct myself on my last post because UNO's rink, Qwest Center does have a capacity of over 10,000 (although, to my knowledge, they rarely sell it out).

Quote:
As for the BCHL, AJHL, and other leagues, I never said they didn't develop ANY good players. My point was the leagues other than the USHL don't develop as many top players in a yearly basis. I didn't say they don't develop any top players at all. The USHL has superior depth and has a higher quality product because of it. For instance, it is no coincidence that when a top player leaves the BCHL for the USHL (like Brock Bradford), the gaudy numbers they once put up in the BCHL dips significantly in their new league. It is because they can't feed off weaker competition like they once did.

Oiler Chick, earlier in this thread you made the comment "increased visibility and quality" of a league like the NAHL. This is not true for them. The NAHL has dropped a lot in quality in recent years. It is no coincidence that the big surge forward by the USHL coincided with a drop in the NAHL. Long time observers of the league would tell you that.
While I agree with you somewhat here, I still say that these leagues, specifically the BCHL is improving because the sheer amount of high level talent that has come out of that league in recent years and will be coming out of that league continues to grow. Will they be catching up to the USHL and NTDP anytime soon? My guess is no. Eventually? Perhaps, I think alot would depend upon all leagues involved and other factors.

Quote:
As for the reasons for the WCHA's success, a lot of the comments outlined by myself and a few others here are the same kinds of comments being said by a number of WCHA coaches. So I guess if anybody has a problem with such arguments, they should take it up with them as well.
I'm not disputing that fact, but at the same token I'm not going to sit here and say/imply that the other conferences, specifically Hockey East isn't as good as nor will ever be as good as the WCHA. I gave several examples that supports my position and also brings us back to my initial question.

Old
05-02-2005, 05:56 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
I'm going to dispute this to a point because there are non-WCHA schools that recruit heavily out of the regions that you just mentioned. Two examples: Alaska-Fairbanks and UConn. UAF recruits heavily out of Western Canada and their roster reflects that. About one half of the UConn Huskies 04-05 roster came out of either the NAHL or USHL.
I don't think it's a matter of who's going where necisarily, but the good players and the players who fit programs are getting scooped up. Shorter plane rides, shorter car trips, junior teams coming to your home town translates to more time spent recruiting and scouting.

Reading about the CHA's bonus offer, lots of smaller school fans of the CCHA complain about Michigan has become too big for their britches in that conference. From that standpoint I can see how they don't get as battletested in the regular season as WCHA teams do (DU had 12 games against the frozen four teams.) and it's 'Michigan or nothing" for high level recruits looking at the CCHA.

Old
05-03-2005, 06:13 PM
PuckFan01

Quote:
A sell out is a sell out is it not? Its not the teams fault their building may have only 1/3 or so of the capacity of other schools...
I am not sure why this has to be explained but the point is that a team may meet capacity in fans but that certainly doesn't mean they get equal support compared to other programs that bring in quite a bit more fans and may not even meet their rink capacity.

Closed Thread