HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers lose 4-0

Old
04-05-2013, 08:26 AM
McCupofOil
Hunting A Cup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Time to move on.

The year isn't 2007.
It's time for YOU to move on and get over Horcoff's contract. It's not preventing Tambellini from making any moves, there's plenty of cap space to bring in an impact player so you and some others need to get over Horcoff's contract and stop beating a

And they made the playoffs in 2006, kind of hard to forget that.

McCupofOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:27 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
come on there were fair number of people going on about how great a team the oilers now are, trolling other boards and pages, rubbing it in, bringing up hall as a hart candidate, etc, etc.
You don't think that's a legitimate consideration?

Quote:
the oilers are not yet a team where you guys can be running around telling other fans to "suck it"
that's all
Oh I think we can say that to Calgary fans. And it feels good, man.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:33 AM
Gord
Batfink!

vCash: 50
[QUOTE=Moose Coleman;63351535]You don't think that's a legitimate consideration?

QUOTE]

Hall for Hart? no, he's not legitimate yet.
he's been great this year, and lately he's often been amazing.
but let's see how the last games play out.
I would never consider a guy for league mvp when his team is 11th or 12th in the conference, for example.
So I'll wait to see how both the Oilers and Hall do in the stretch run before I jump on the bandwagon.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:35 AM
Gord
Batfink!

[QUOTE=Moose Coleman;63351535]You don't think that's a legitimate consideration?

QUOTE]

I would never consider a guy for league mvp when his team is 11th or 12th in the conference, for example.
So I'll wait to see how both the Oilers and Hall do in the stretch run before I jump on the bandwagon.
I admit that right now, I'd consider Kadri ahead of Hall.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:52 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
The Hart is awarded to the player deemed most valuable to his team. Without Hall going supernova, the Oilers aren't flirting with a playoff spot this season, they're discussing MacKinnon or Jones. Even Sidney Crosby isn't as essential to the Penguins as Hall is to the Oilers. He's an outside shot for sure, but smashing the PPG mark at age 21 deserves to get him a serious look no matter where the team ends up.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:08 AM
Expatriate

Is Smyth ever to painfull to watch. It's like he is skating in quicksand. Hopefully he retires at the end of the year.

Expatriate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:15 AM
Turrican*

Oh well, just another game against a good team.
I hope you guys didnt expect go to 12-0 for the rest of the season.

I'd rather take a stinker against a good team like Van who came out hard, then against someone like Calgary, Colorado or Phoenix.

We match up pretty well against the Kings, we haven't been tested against the Ducks yet, so let's give this team a chance. No way we are "completely out of it" yet.

Boys are tired, put up a crazy win streak and need some rest.
Let's leave judgment for Saturday.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:24 AM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
The Hart is awarded to the player deemed most valuable to his team. Without Hall going supernova, the Oilers aren't flirting with a playoff spot this season, they're discussing MacKinnon or Jones. Even Sidney Crosby isn't as essential to the Penguins as Hall is to the Oilers. He's an outside shot for sure, but smashing the PPG mark at age 21 deserves to get him a serious look no matter where the team ends up.

No it's not, no matter what the label in the media guide says.

It goes to the top player on a really good team, usually one of the leading scorers in the league. It never goes to a superstar on a bad team, doesnt happen and even if the Oilers slip into 8th he gets little consideration outside Edmonton. Next year if they develop some consistency and he continues to perform like he has people will start to notice.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:08 AM
Everest

Major difference last night was special teams.

The Canucks PK, in particular, absolutley stonewalled our PP. You could see it on the first Oilers PP chance of the game. Vancouver had a plan, they were going to execute it & it was going to work very very well.

Basically...the one "missing link" in our top six was totally exposed...because we lack a true power forward who can forcibly advance the puck down the wing...the Canucks are able to easily contain straight line ruhes by funnelling the puck into the middle and then...when we try to switch to an alterior zone entrance...they had 2 guys reading the same option everytime.

In simpler words...they were all over us.

I suppose we could have went to some dump & chase selections a little more often...but even then...our speed was angled off before we ever got to the red line.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:15 AM
McspOiler

Us vs Detroit for 8th let's do this... On to the next 2 points back even games played. We have more home games but tougher teams to play.

McspOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:17 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

vCash: 250
I have trouble "panicking" over this loss. It's not pretty and I'll admit I went to bed before it was over, but because of the Oilers' recent play, they've put themselves in a position where this loss isn't nearly as crushing as it would "normally" be at this time of the year.

I am no fan of the Nucks, but they're a good team, and were better. The Oilers need to regroup, rest and recoup, get Smithson in the lineup and remember the chance they have infront of them right now.

I don't see this team folding from this loss.

Jimmi McJenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:20 AM
Turrican*

I wish Edmonton would be in the Southeast...

Washington is 19th in the league for points and be 3rd in the eastern conference.
What an abomination of a division.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:23 AM
Slatsmsg

IF the Oilers get in and IF Hall jumps past everyone not named Sid, he has a legit chance to go Hart.

Slatsmsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:31 AM
0ilerman
The King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
No it's not, no matter what the label in the media guide says.

It goes to the top player on a really good team, usually one of the leading scorers in the league. It never goes to a superstar on a bad team, doesnt happen and even if the Oilers slip into 8th he gets little consideration outside Edmonton. Next year if they develop some consistency and he continues to perform like he has people will start to notice.
This is truth and fact

0ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Stoneman89

The entire team looked gassed last night. It happens. It's been a very compact grueling schedule, so stuff like that can happen, especially in a back to back and 3 in 4 nights situation. If they can split on the coast or even get more, I'd be very happy. Last big road trip for the year, and then settle in to some home cooking where they can get fired up with the fans. They need to split on the road and nearly run the table at home. No other choice.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:55 AM
McJadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
I wish Edmonton would be in the Southeast...

Washington is 19th in the league for points and be 3rd in the eastern conference.
What an abomination of a division.
the thing is, is that it's been an abomination for about a decade now... the realignment next season is going to expose some SE teams rather badly i would assume

McJadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:58 AM
McJadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
The entire team looked gassed last night. It happens. It's been a very compact grueling schedule, so stuff like that can happen, especially in a back to back and 3 in 4 nights situation. If they can split on the coast or even get more, I'd be very happy. Last big road trip for the year, and then settle in to some home cooking where they can get fired up with the fans. They need to split on the road and nearly run the table at home. No other choice.
yeah this is pretty much it... we need to win 1 against LA/anaheim and then play *very good* at home the rest of the way

going into the last 12 games, most people thought we needed 15 points to finish in 8th.... so with last nights loss we need to go 7-3-1 the rest of the way, yikes!

McJadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:29 AM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
come on there were fair number of people going on about how great a team the oilers now are, trolling other boards and pages, rubbing it in, bringing up hall as a hart candidate, etc, etc.
the Oilers are doing much better and have been fun to watch of late, but this game was a good reminder of how much work there still is for them to do.

the oilers are not yet a team where you guys can be running around telling other fans to "suck it"
that's all.
Why wouldn't Hall be in the Hart conversation? What player in the WC has been more valuable to his team?

How many players in the league have been more valuable to team?

Lets not forget as well while any other star players were taking an extended vacation Hall was toiling for the org in OKC. Not sure that gets the light of day in consideration but from an org standpoint there isn't a player, not one, that has done more for his org this season.

I'll add that Taylor Hall is making jaws drop in a hell of a lot of cities. When the Flames broadcast goes on about a "star arrived and that maybe we could get a player like that sometime". It says something. They weren't giving these acolades to any prior Oiler. Hall has had several absolutely dominant games this season. If this is happening in the EC he's definitely being in the convo even more.

Replacement* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:39 AM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Why wouldn't Hall be in the Hart conversation? What player in the WC has been more valuable to his team?

Lets not forget as well while any other star players were taking an extended vacation Hall was toiling for the org in OKC. Not sure that gets the light of day in consideration but from an org standpoint there isn't a player, not one, that has done more for his org this season.

I'll add that Taylor Hall is making jaws drop in a hell of a lot of cities. When the Flames broadcast goes on about a "star arrived and that maybe we could get a player like that sometime". It says something. They weren't giving these acolades to any prior Oiler. Hall has had several absolutely dominant games this season. If this is happening in the EC he's definitely being in the convo even more.
same reason Iginla hasnt been in the Hart Conversation, was by far the only reason Flames were competitive for the past 10 yrs but if u dont make the playoffs ur not doin ur job good enough to warrant that trophy..
has any player whose team didnt make the playoffs ever won the Hart Trophy?

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Meanashell11

Quote:

What he said.

And as for Syd, outside of Pittsburgh he is absolutely hated out east. I live next to NYC and his constant whining just pisses people off. Ask a NYR/NYI/Phillie/Boston/NJD sportswriter about him and you might be surprised at the dislike.

Meanashell11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:42 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 2627
Quote:

I think Lundqvist should get it, but do think Hall will be in the running. Needs to make the playoffs though IMO.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:42 AM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanashell11 View Post
What he said.

And as for Syd, outside of Pittsburgh he is absolutely hated out east. I live next to NYC and his constant whining just pisses people off. Ask a NYR/NYI/Phillie/Boston/NJD sportswriter about him and you might be surprised at the dislike.
Im not from Pittsburgh and I'm a crosby fan

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:43 AM
McspOiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
yeah this is pretty much it... we need to win 1 against LA/anaheim and then play *very good* at home the rest of the way

going into the last 12 games, most people thought we needed 15 points to finish in 8th.... so with last nights loss we need to go 7-3-1 the rest of the way, yikes!
Based on that assumption of needing over 54 points Detroit needs to go 7-4 the rest of the way sure they have an easier schedule but they played a ton on the road. Any team that wants to make it needs to win a lot.

McspOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:45 AM
OilerTyler
Fire MacT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanashell11 View Post
What he said.

People hate Sid because he is the best player in the league.

Sid doesn't whine nearly as much as people like to say he does. He certainly isn't "constantly" whining. That's just one of many excuses that people like to use to hate him instead of admitting that they don't like him because they are insecure/jealous.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:45 AM
Oil In My Veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Agreed. They just didn't have it last night. They couldn't make a pass or stick-handle to save their lives.

They just looked like they didn't have their legs and were completely out of sync because they were tired.

People are getting worked up over nothing, as long as they come out with a solid effort tomorrow we'll be fine.

Edit: every team has games like last night in a season like this, they aren't going to be in every game

Oil In My Veins is offline   Reply With Quote