HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derek Roy: The one where we talk about players who aren't Derek Roy

Old
04-07-2013, 04:48 AM
JetsAlternate

vCash: 500
I've been very impressed with his game; the team has lacked a player like him for quite some time. It's fun to watch him when he has the puck, and he backchecks well too. Unfortunately, he does sound as though this will only be a temporary home for him. Perhaps the team can persuade him to stay, but I wouldn't expect him to re-sign.

JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:58 AM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAlternate View Post
I've been very impressed with his game; the team has lacked a player like him for quite some time. It's fun to watch him when he has the puck, and he backchecks well too. Unfortunately, he does sound as though this will only be a temporary home for him. Perhaps the team can persuade him to stay, but I wouldn't expect him to re-sign.
It has little to do with whether he wants to play here, and everythnig to do with whether the Canucks can fine the cap space to sign him.

Even if the Canucks buy out Ballard and Booth, and move a goalie, I don't think they have the cap space for Roy unless they have minimum salary guys littered throughout the bottom 2 lines. Which is not a particularly good recipe for success.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:19 AM
cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
I missed it, what did he say?
I can't remember word for word, but he said something like he's never experienced being a rental UFA before and there were a lot of things to consider such as distance from his family and other factors like that.

However, the question from Scott Oake was a little odd. it was something like "is it my understanding that you will explore unrestricted free agency at the end of the season?" Oake was a little apologetic afterward regarding that question

He was also asked a follow up question about whether it was easier to be traded for in the offseason and he said yes, because it gives him more of a chance to get used to the environment, team, and the city rather than just jumping into things, but he said that the Canucks team made the transition easier.

cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:27 AM
BassMason

vCash: 50
Yes Roy may well look to cash in but on the other hand he could look for a legitimate chance to win a cup. Especially with Kesler in the line up, Vancouver could seem like a very appealing place to stay.

BassMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:44 AM
luongo321

The Nature Boy Derek Roy.

Wooooooooooooooooooo

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:56 AM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

Give him the money.

WE LOVE YOU ROOOOYYYY.

thepuckmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:15 AM
Hardyvan123
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post
It has little to do with whether he wants to play here, and everythnig to do with whether the Canucks can fine the cap space to sign him.

Even if the Canucks buy out Ballard and Booth, and move a goalie, I don't think they have the cap space for Roy unless they have minimum salary guys littered throughout the bottom 2 lines. Which is not a particularly good recipe for success.
they have 20 million tied up on the back end, assuming they buy out Ballard, and need to resign tanev and a 6th guy too.

Up front they have 26 million in 6 forwards, Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Higgins and Jansen.

Throw in Schneider and that's a total of 50 million for 11 players and a need to sign a 2nd goalie, Tanev and at least 1 more Dman and the bottom 6 needs to be filled out all for 14 million.

I don't remember, is there a limit to how many contracts a team could buy out?

This is all assuming that Booth, Ballard and Lou's contracts are off the books.

There will be trouble next year it looks like.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:18 AM
GrogZilla

Parise got a 13 year 98 mill contract.

It's very easy to see Roy getting offered 6 mill a year for 7 years. 42 mill.
He shouldn't get offered that & it'll probably end up being a bad contract, but that's what happens to top end UFA's
No way the Canucks could or should offer him anything like that.

The very best the Canucks could or should offer is maybe 5 mill a year for 4-5 years & even that is probably too much.

After 12 games + playoffs, is Roy gonna be willing to leave 20 mill on the table to stay here? Seems unlikely.

GrogZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:23 AM
King of the ES*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogZilla View Post
He shouldn't get offered that & it'll probably end up being a bad contract, but that's what happens to top end UFA's
Totally agree. Absolutely would not be a good signing.

King of the ES* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:00 PM
Hardyvan123
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogZilla View Post
Parise got a 13 year 98 mill contract.

The very best the Canucks could or should offer is maybe 5 mill a year for 4-5 years & even that is probably too much.

After 12 games + playoffs, is Roy gonna be willing to leave 20 mill on the table to stay here? Seems unlikely.
Roy is 29 and will not be getting anything like 6 million /year over 7 years.

I like him as a player but he's in the 2nd or even 3rd tier of front line players and going forward those type of guys are going to hit a ceiling somewhere in the 4 million range, at least short term, landscape might change after 15.

Can the Canucks even offer him 4 million a year given their current situation?

Old
04-07-2013, 12:24 PM
GrogZilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
I hope you're right.
He certainly shouldn't get that much or that long, but I don't remember the last time a top 6 UFA forward started taking contract offers & signed what seemed like a reasonable contract.

Four years @5mill seems like the top end of reasonable, 4 years @4.5mill seems just about perfect. Problem is the contracts UFAs get never end up looking reasonable.
( other then Hamhuis & Garrison)

GrogZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:36 PM
SgtToody

Quote:

I like him as a player but he's in the 2nd or even 3rd tier of front line players and going forward those type of guys are going to hit a ceiling somewhere in the 4 million range, at least short term, landscape might change after 15.

Can the Canucks even offer him 4 million a year given their current situation?
Never underestimate the generous stupidity of some NHL GMs... Along a similar thread, Gillis' (and a majority of people here) is unwilling to admit you have to move good players to get good players, and that includes freeing up cap space. The composition of this team is heavily dependent on an aging 1st line and puck-moving blue liners. To keep/acquire a real good playmaking 2nd line centre it would appear trading a defence man would be the most obvious answer (cue the 'generous' trade ideas of moving Ballard, the outcry of 'Kesler will save the day!' Or just general acceptance that we need to hold on to each piece until its value is depleted to its least traceable value)...

SgtToody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:39 PM
Basso

I think if we give him Booth's money (4.2 mill) we have a chance to keep him.

Basso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:45 PM
Hardyvan123
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtToody View Post
Never underestimate the generous stupidity of some NHL GMs... Along a similar thread, Gillis' (and a majority of people here) is unwilling to admit you have to move good players to get good players, and that includes freeing up cap space. The composition of this team is heavily dependent on an aging 1st line and puck-moving blue liners. To keep/acquire a real good playmaking 2nd line centre it would appear trading a defence man would be the most obvious answer (cue the 'generous' trade ideas of moving Ballard, the outcry of 'Kesler will save the day!' Or just general acceptance that we need to hold on to each piece until its value is depleted to its least traceable value)...
Personally i think it's too late for that, the Canucks can win their share of games in the regular season but there isn't anything more to give in the playoffs and they don't scare anyone at this point, other than the obvious, any goalie can steal a series type but that's true for most teams in the playoffs.

As for Roy, maybe with Kesler they can get 3 lines going but it's still another infamous Canuck "if."

Old
04-07-2013, 01:18 PM
Nuckles
Bleed Assets E'ryday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
Keep in mind, even if he plans on staying in Van, you don't tip your hand either way. He and his agent are in negotiation mode... he's not going to give off the impression he'll offer some sort of discount to stay here.
Yep.
And who knows, playing with this team for the rest of the month + playoffs might convince him that he wants to stay.

Fire Benning. Fire Linden. Fire Desjardins. Hire competent people.
Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:35 PM
Lundface*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
Yep.
And who knows, playing with this team for the rest of the month + playoffs might convince him that he wants to stay.
Alternatively we get to see if Roy fits our team and if he helps us during a playoff run. We need another offensive piece upfront that can control the play, something thats been evident for a while. If Roy doesn't pan out, I'd still like us to go out and get another one via trade or free agency.

Lundface* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:12 PM
Sharpshooter

vCash: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basso View Post
I think if we give him Booth's money (4.2 mill) we have a chance to keep him.
Hopefully that involves moving Booth. Talk about landing here with a thud, or in his case a 'thump'.

Roy>>>Booth

Sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:16 PM
Sharpshooter

Quote:
they have 20 million tied up on the back end, assuming they buy out Ballard, and need to resign tanev and a 6th guy too.

Up front they have 26 million in 6 forwards, Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Higgins and Jansen.

Throw in Schneider and that's a total of 50 million for 11 players and a need to sign a 2nd goalie, Tanev and at least 1 more Dman and the bottom 6 needs to be filled out all for 14 million.

I don't remember, is there a limit to how many contracts a team could buy out?

This is all assuming that Booth, Ballard and Lou's contracts are off the books.

There will be trouble next year it looks like.
You don't have to assume a buyout with any of those players. They're all movable assets in trade. And if it's about bringing in little to no salary, then those 3 can certainly do that.

And I believe the limit is 2 buyouts, iirc. I think the Canucks will be fine with the cap and have money left over to sign Roy, if they want to throw a 4 year $4m per offer. Whether he takes that is debatable.

Old
04-07-2013, 02:22 PM
Tryampled
Registered Snoozer

The Canucks need to do everything they can to resign Roy even if it means trading Kesler. He makes players better plain and simple.

Tryampled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:22 PM
Fat Tony
Fire Benning

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
I missed it, what did he say?
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockeynight...#id=2372165035

Fat Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:30 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
The Canucks need to do everything they can to resign Roy even if it means trading Kesler. He makes players better plain and simple.
Roy makes his wingers better but Kesler drives the PP, the PK, even strength play and is the Canucks best faceoff man. We're worse on special teams, at even strength, in the dot, smaller and slower with Kesler out of the lineup. He impacts more areas of the game than any other player on the roster and needs to be retained because of it.

You move periphery pieces to fit in Roy, not one of your top 5 players. It would take a pretty ridiculous offer to go to Kesler and ask him to waive his NTC. Don't see it...

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:37 PM
Sharpshooter

Quote:
Kesler's injuries have limited him recently, but to say that the former and not too long ago Selke winner needs to be traded in favour of re-signing Roy, is balderdash.

Old
04-07-2013, 02:38 PM
Alexistheman

Quote:
Talk about "what have you done for me lately", lately being the last 2 games.

Alexistheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:46 PM
Tryampled
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Roy makes his wingers better but Kesler drives the PP, the PK, even strength play and is the Canucks best faceoff man. We're worse on special teams, at even strength, in the dot, smaller and slower with Kesler out of the lineup. He impacts more areas of the game than any other player on the roster and needs to be retained because of it.

You move periphery pieces to fit in Roy, not one of your top 5 players. It would take a pretty ridiculous offer to go to Kesler and ask him to waive his NTC. Don't see it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooter1 View Post
Kesler's injuries have limited him recently, but to say that the former and not too long ago Selke winner needs to be traded in favour of re-signing Roy, is balderdash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexistheman View Post
Talk about "what have you done for me lately", lately being the last 2 games.
well we wouldnt be trading him for a bag of pucks.. If they could resign Roy and trade Kesler for a couple young wingers or a star winger this team could be setup for a long time. Kesler might be battling injuries the rest of his career.

Tryampled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:55 PM
Sharpshooter

Quote:
well we wouldnt be trading him for a bag of pucks.. If they could resign Roy and trade Kesler for a couple young wingers or a star winger this team could be setup for a long time. Kesler might be battling injuries the rest of his career.
How would a couple of young wingers help this 'going for it now' team in the playoffs?

Injuries happen, and "might be battling injuries the rest of his career", can be said of virtually almost every good to great player playing currently.

Also, why would we want to trade a star center who could play wing, with history here, for a star winger that can't play center if needs be, and has no history or chemistry with the team?

I know they look like chess pieces on a board, but i'm not sure moving Kesler would send the right message to the rest of the boys in the locker-room.