HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derek Roy: The one where we talk about players who aren't Derek Roy

Old
04-05-2013, 11:45 AM
alternate
It's Miller time!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindt View Post
When you have a consistent top 6 centre who is capable of a PPG and has excellent playmaking abilities, you do your best to keep him. Not trying to lock him up on account of Schroeder would be silly. At this point in time Schroeder can't hold Roy's jockstrap, nor is it certain that he will ever be able to do so. If there is no room for Schroeder/Gaunce/whoever at C, then you move them to fill needs at other positions.

How far we have gone from complaining about ruining center depth by trading Hodgson to worrying about having too much if we keep Roy...
Not sure I totally agree, not when it's been shown how important contributing ELCs are to cap teams such as ourselves. It's not just about having a place for the multiple 1st round centers we have that should both be ready for prime time full time within the next 2-3 seasons, it's also the allocation of cap space.

That's not to say I'm completely opposed to re-signing Roy (and with Gillis's track record re: rentals I expect an effort to be made). I just feel a 2 year deal makes a lot more sense than a 5 year one. In two years we should be able to replace Roy from within for a fraction of the cap hit.

We'll see what happens though, obviously way too soon to be making any concrete decisions.

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:49 AM
Royal Canuck
M-V-P

vCash: 814
Good vision, excellent speed and agillity, good nose for the net.

Haven't seen much of his defensive play, no hiccups in his 1st game anyways.

Great chemistry with Higgins.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You have to hate losing, more than you love winning. "
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
I think that's what I'd do at this point too. The Sedins have been taking on tough minutes the last little while and have been doing a great job doing so. I can see a Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen line mopping up against other teams' third pairings.
That would be my absolute ideal scenario BUT I don't know if the Canucks (or more specifically AV) are willing to do that. My feeling is they are not.

I know both Gillis and Gilman mentioned playing Roy and Kesler together but both also added the caveat that it's up to AV. Might be something that they don't see eye to eye on.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:03 PM
ugghhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post

I thought he was very good defensively, just seemed to be running out of gas even half way through his shifts.

He's an under-rated defensive player -- plays a smart, simple defensive game with a lot of anticipation, kind of like the Sedins but with much better acceleration.

Definitely a huge addition offensively -- he was really making his line go last night.

ugghhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:08 PM
Fairweather

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugghhh View Post
I thought he was very good defensively, just seemed to be running out of gas even half way through his shifts.
I didn't get to see the game but this may be an indicator of adrenaline.

Does Roy have a reputation for not taking shifts off? I'd like to see his work ethic when the going gets tough. A Hansen-like work-hard-all-the-time ethic would be great.

Fairweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:10 PM
lush
@jasonlush

Some thoughts on this may have been posted already but I just missed it, but does anybody know what kind of contract expectations Roy has?

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:10 PM
ugghhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
That would be my absolute ideal scenario BUT I don't know if the Canucks (or more specifically AV) are willing to do that. My feeling is they are not.

I know both Gillis and Gilman mentioned playing Roy and Kesler together but both also added the caveat that it's up to AV. Might be something that they don't see eye to eye on.
I would prefer to have Kesler running a shut-down line and leaving Higgins-Roy-Booth -- much more effective offensively than Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen, imo, although the latter line has been very good at generating chances.

Kesler and Roy can both push their lines, whereas I don't think Schroeder has been able to do that in the NHL so far (although I think he will get there soon).

I'd like to see (with all players healthy):

If Kassian is playing well:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Burrows-Kesler-Hansen (get the most minutes ES, against the other teams top line)
Higgins-Roy-Booth
Raymond-Lapierre-Weise

or, if Kassian is slumping:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Kesler-Hansen
Higgins-Roy-Booth
Kassian-Lapierre-Weise

I think Kassian has the ability to make our team significantly better when he is playing well, and if we can somehow manage to get him going and keep him going through the playoffs, it's going to make a huge difference to our team.

Booth with Higgins/Roy gives him two playmakers and all three are players who like to crash the net/get into dirty areas.

Raymond has been good in the past playing 4th line minutes, imo. He helps keep the puck out of our zone and keeps the play moving forward.

ugghhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Big Naissak
4 8 15 16 23 42

Send a message via Skype™ to Big Naissak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairweather View Post
I didn't get to see the game but this may be an indicator of adrenaline.

Does Roy have a reputation for not taking shifts off? I'd like to see his work ethic when the going gets tough. A Hansen-like work-hard-all-the-time ethic would be great.
According to buff fans one of the things Baby Roy was known for was excellent conditioning...

Big Naissak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:27 PM
Fairweather

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Naissak View Post
According to buff fans one of the things Baby Roy was known for was excellent conditioning...
Good to hear. Looking forward to the future games then.

Fairweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:35 PM
Outside99*

Quote:
He had instant chemistry with Higgins. That said, Hansen was NOT good on that line. He didn't read the play all that well and got into Roy's way a few times. I think it makes sense to put Hansen with Kesler when he's back and put Kassian on Roy's RW (if he keeps playing well). Kassian enjoys playing with guys that can make those little plays.

Then again, that leaves us with Raymond on Kesler's LW so I don't know... We'll see I guess.
I'm sorry but Hansen can do no wrong in my book. He's now top 30 in the league in 5 on 5 scoring. I know what you're going to say, its because he plays with the Sedins...amazing player.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:39 PM
Canadian Gold X3
Playoff Bound

http://www.coppernblue.com/2013/4/5/...oilers-canucks
Sam Gagner's stats against Roy
February 6, Oilers vs. Stars: Gagner -2 vs. Roy in 5.4 minutes

February 12, Oilers vs. Stars: Gagner -6 vs. Roy in 4.8 minutes

February 28, Oilers vs Stars: Gagner -6 vs. Roy in 3.1 minutes

April 4, Oilers vs. Canucks: Gagner -10 vs. Roy in 9.5 minutes

Canadian Gold X3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:42 PM
TheBrockBoesMonster
3rd overall? Nope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
I hope we can re-sign him, but I really doubt we'll be able to.
He'll probably be seeking as much money as possible, and might want a bigger role on another team.
It honestly all depends on how much he fits with the team/enjoys the city and if we go deep in the playoffs or not.

If he flourishes here and loves the nightlife, I could definitely see him resigning for something like 5.25 or 5.5 a year. He could get 6.5 elsewhere and play top line minutes, or he could take a bit less to play in a hockey town. Nobody knows for sure at this point.

TheBrockBoesMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Fictional Realism
Reason for Optimism

vCash: 894
Quote:
He had instant chemistry with Higgins. That said, Hansen was NOT good on that line. He didn't read the play all that well and got into Roy's way a few times. I think it makes sense to put Hansen with Kesler when he's back and put Kassian on Roy's RW (if he keeps playing well). Kassian enjoys playing with guys that can make those little plays.

Then again, that leaves us with Raymond on Kesler's LW so I don't know... We'll see I guess.
I'd agree with this ... actually Hansen looked like, well not exactly a passenger, but he wasn't driving the play offensively the same way Higgins and Roy were.

It is unfortunate Booth is injured because I would love to see: Raymond-Kesler-Hansen and Higgins-Roy-Booth. I think despite most posters hating it ... the Raymond-Kesler pairing is inevitable.

Fictional Realism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:14 PM
mossey3535

I agree with people that

Higgins-Roy-Kesler

and

Hansen-Schroeder-Raymond

would be our best bet. I mean, I like Booth but we have some idea of how the burner line can play already.

Kesler and Higgins is a pretty decent shutdown line already and I think Roy will prove to be underrated in that regard as well.

Either way, Kesler should have to earn 2C again when he comes back IMO. Work himself into game shape first either on the wing or as 3C. He's still going to get his PP/PK reps.

mossey3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:16 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
I'm sorry but Hansen can do no wrong in my book. He's now top 30 in the league in 5 on 5 scoring. I know what you're going to say, its because he plays with the Sedins...amazing player.
Huh? I've been saying all year he's a Top 6 player but he just doesn't have chemistry with those two. He looked worse on that line than he has all year.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:23 PM
vadim sharifijanov
thanks chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugghhh View Post
I'd like to see (with all players healthy):

If Kassian is playing well:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Burrows-Kesler-Hansen (get the most minutes ES, against the other teams top line)
Higgins-Roy-Booth
Raymond-Lapierre-Weise

or, if Kassian is slumping:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Kesler-Hansen
Higgins-Roy-Booth
Kassian-Lapierre-Weise
that's pretty much the way i see it, only with a revolving cast for weise's fourth line RW spot, and booth on the LW and higgins on the RW.

if there's no booth, which is a pretty decent possibility, i might be inclined to roll with:

sedin sedin kassian
burrows kesler hansen
raymond roy higgins
lapierre and plugs

and only split up my dream burrows - kesler - hansen line if kassian isn't working on the first line.

either way, a third offensive center should do wonders for this team, both in terms of production from the third line but also giving the first line a bit of a reprieve from exclusively tough defensive matchups.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:25 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
My reaction summed up in two pics.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:31 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Quote:

Glad I was not the only one to think this. Hansen looked completely invisible most of the night and frankly, seemed shell shocked by the sudden shift of gears Higgins was playing at. Hansen, while a great defensive player, has absolutely no creativity. He simply does not have the hands for it and when a legitimate second liner like Roy, it shows. And for that very reason I would disagree suiting him up with Kesler as it could force Kesler into a more defensive oriented role when it would be in our best interest to unleash him.

Of course, I don't know whether Schroeder will ever get a call up again now.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:43 PM
Frank Garrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soth View Post
Roy looks good, but I really don't expect him to resign. He seems like a money first type of guy - and really, there isn't anything wrong with wanting to get paid when you make it to FA.

I expect him to go to the highest bidder, and Gillis never likes to overpay. Glad to have him for the now though.
Agreed. I think he's going to test free agency.

Someone else will overpay for him on July 1st. Then he will go off to Brazil to play eccentric Brazilian Derek Roy for the rest of the summer (0:33)...

Frank Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:08 PM
deckercky

vCash: 1125
I don't think Raymond with Kesler is a problem if you consider from the point of view that the first priority of the line is defence. Raymond-Kesler-Hansen is pretty much the Canucks' ideal 2 way line. Plus, Raymond has flat out been playing better this year. With a line that I'd expect to get tough defensive minutes, having 3 players with speed who can burn teams on the rush seems like as good of a fit as anything. That leaves Higgins-Roy-Kassian as a 50-50 offensive-defensive line that should be great for as long as Kassian is pushing himself (which I expect him to do more consistently in the playoffs).

It's playoffs, and a lot has to do with luck and injuries, but this lineup has a lot of potential.

deckercky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:08 PM
LolClarkson*

Quote:
He'll probably be seeking as much money as possible, and might want a bigger role on another team.
As far as I'm concerned, second line center or wing duties are all up for grabs. A solid second line position on a competitive team would probably make him happy.

So much has been made of the cap coming down. I think it wont change much. After the lockout last time, our team had multiple 6 million dollar forwards and lots of 3.5 million dollar D men and the cap was 10 or 15 million dollars lower.

LolClarkson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:11 PM
LolClarkson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
It honestly all depends on how much he fits with the team/enjoys the city and if we go deep in the playoffs or not.

If he flourishes here and loves the nightlife, I could definitely see him resigning for something like 5.25 or 5.5 a year. He could get 6.5 elsewhere and play top line minutes, or he could take a bit less to play in a hockey town. Nobody knows for sure at this point.
We traded less for him then we thought we could. He was probably the cheapest acquisition on deadline day.

If deadline day is any indication of what the other 29 GMs think of his worth then I think we can resign him.

LolClarkson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:17 PM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

One hook that the Canucks may have in keeping Roy here, on the TSN interview he did deadline day he mentioned he had family and friends that live in Vancouver.

I hope they can keep him around for Ryan Kesler money.

WinterEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:19 PM
Sharpshooter

vCash: 550
Quote:
It depends on how quickly he bonds with this team and this community. He may also find that playing in this market, while pressure filled, is something that he gets energized by. Looking at a lengthy playoff run with a core that's also signed longterm may also be something he thinks is a positive in making a decision to resign here...and hey, if nothing else, one of the best, high-tech and first class, locker-rooms and amenities are available to him in this organization, and that can't hurt, lol.

Sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:19 PM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post

He had a couple of turnovers. Always hustled to get the puck back, but there were definitely some hiccups.

Also, there seemed to be some times when he and another linemate would get mixed up during a cycle, but that's to be expected.

I'm nitpicking, of course. Overall, no complaints. I hope he can keep up that level of play.

KDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote