HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Salary trade (3 way)

Old
04-06-2013, 02:10 AM
TMLOBI

vCash: 500
Salary trade (3 way)

hmm short version.

Can two teams retain salary on the same player. So the cap hit can be reduced TWICE for the third team.

If you want my original post (that I even quoted under my edited post so it would be less confusing) ask and I'll send it to you. People don't read too well around these parts......

Last edited by TMLOBI: 04-06-2013 at 03:28 AM. Reason: confusing
TMLOBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 02:27 AM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

There is always a good chance Luo gets bought out. Why not wait till then?

RealisticLeaf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 02:37 AM
Lifeline

I feel as though this has to be said... What you are trying to achieve is a ... tradeception.

Lifeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 02:52 AM
Numbers

So lets get this straight from a Det perspective

2nd
Eat 1.5 million of Luongo salary (oh and u don't get the goalie)

For

MacArthur (UFA at season end)
4th
7th

Hmmmmmm.......I wonder who wins this trade? I'm guessing its not Det........

This has to be one of the worst ideas ever.

Numbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 03:25 AM
Riptide

Except that Luongo's contract isn't untradeable. Gillis is still looking for a high return. That and Toronto's offer makes more sense to be done in the off season, not at the TD (at least from Van's perspective).

He could waive him (if he didn't have a NMC) and someone would pick him up. The issue is two fold. One is the contract (which is an issue), and the other is what Gillis wants in return.

04-06-2013, 03:26 AM
TMLOBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
So lets get this straight from a Det perspective

2nd
Eat 1.5 million of Luongo salary (oh and u don't get the goalie)

For

MacArthur (UFA at season end)
4th
7th

Hmmmmmm.......I wonder who wins this trade? I'm guessing its not Det........

This has to be one of the worst ideas ever.
Sigh people can't get over a trade that I just pulled out of my ass. The trade was used as an example.. this thread was moved to the trade forum for unknown reasons. I could very well have used the trade of Crosby to canucks to wings where wings give up a conditional 7th and of course the pens eat 3 million and the nucks eat 2 million and make Crosby a $3.7million cap hit. It is an example not a real trade proposal. I used Detroit in this example and did not put much thought into it from their perspective.

I know it is confusing when it clearly says "this is not a trade proposal but an example". But since no one even read anything but the "proposal", thanks to the mod who decided to move it to the trade proposal board, I am now forced to remove the original example.

TMLOBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 04:23 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

I think it's possible; since the original team is on the hook for however long they originally agreed to do it.

Ignoring the return for a second, let's say that Washington traded Ovechkin's contract to Calgary, and retained $3 million of that contract for the next x years. Calgary, a week later, trades Ovechkin and his $6.5 million cap hit to Pittsburgh, while retaining another $3 million for the rest of the contract. So, essentially, Pittsburgh is on the hook for only $3.5 million, with Washington taking $3 million of the cap hit and Calgary taking up the other $3 million.

Is that what you're asking?

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 04:36 AM
Paper

From Capgeek:
"A contract can be traded only twice where salary/cap hit is retained"
So yes.

Might not be able to do it in an official three way trade, but would be able to do it with a handshake agreement, throw in some conditional picks or something to guarantee it.

Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 12:40 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
I think it's possible; since the original team is on the hook for however long they originally agreed to do it.

Ignoring the return for a second, let's say that Washington traded Ovechkin's contract to Calgary, and retained $3 million of that contract for the next x years. Calgary, a week later, trades Ovechkin and his $6.5 million cap hit to Pittsburgh, while retaining another $3 million for the rest of the contract. So, essentially, Pittsburgh is on the hook for only $3.5 million, with Washington taking $3 million of the cap hit and Calgary taking up the other $3 million.

Is that what you're asking?
This is what interpreted the OP to be asking.
And the answer is....

and that answer is/is not moot because the original team is/is not on the hook for the cap hit?

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 01:52 PM
Djp

I do not see you being able to do a 3 team trade where

team A is moving this high priced player and they are willing to eat some, as part of the trade they say to team B you need to eat part of this players salary against your cap to do this A-B-C trade of players.

The other option is

team A trades him to team B eating some of the salary, then team B trades him to c eating part of his salary.

a real world example of this possibly happening----

Say Minnesota has a significant injury to Parise next year thus resulting in them being outside of the playoffs around the trade deadline. They feel they cant get to the playoffs.

Pominville is a UFA after the season so they decide to move him to another team....as part of the trade they eat part of his salary---But buffalo is also eating some of his salary. Thus this should be allowed.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 04:57 PM
Ho Borvat

My thought:

Could a cap-floor/rebuilding team trade for a player, eat some salary, and trade him back?

Ie
Trade

Keith Ballard
To Calgary (just a random example)
For
7th Round pick

Then
Keith Ballard
Back to Vancouver at 1/2 salary
For 2nd Round Pick

*Just random hypothetical

Ho Borvat is offline   Reply With Quote