HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avs vs Wings | 7:00MT | Today's Date | Introduce your face to your palm

Old
04-05-2013, 06:10 PM
the_fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
Hey guys, if we go 12-0 the rest of the way we can still make playoffs!!!!!
If i was Brad Pitt i'd be with Angelina Jolie

the_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 06:24 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post
If i was Brad Pitt i'd be with Angelina Jolie
I always pictured you as Brad Pitt.

04-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Nice to see you guys join the party. I was growing weary of carrying that flag.

If EJ doesn't turn it around next season, I wonder what the top end of this rebuild really is.
I was always on the bandwagon.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 06:26 PM
the_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
I always pictured you as Brad Pitt.

the_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 06:29 PM
Sheet

vCash: 140
We've all seen glimmers of what ej is capable of. He's beast moded enough times we know we have a true top pairing d man, but like the rest of the roster, to include golden childs varly, landeskog, pap, Duch, and o'money, he just lacks consistency and sometimes it seems he's injury shy as well..

This points to age and coaching in my opinion. To say jones will come out of minors and be ready next season is optimistic at best. How many times do we hear kids say the speed of the game at the bigs etc. Jones may look sharp now but nevertransition. D are always tough to tell in the draft. He's got the skill set to be sure, but to say he'll be better than ej is nothing more then a guess.

Remember, no one thought gretzky would come close to where he was.

Sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 06:35 PM
iceberg

Man, EJ has been slapped around in 4 different threads simultaneously today. I bet only him, Hunwick and Sacco managed to do that.

iceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 06:37 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberg View Post
Man, EJ has been slapped around in 4 different threads simultaneously today. I bet only him, Hunwick and Sacco managed to do that.
I think Stastny, Duchene and ROR might have done that as well. Especially, the first 2. Boy, we sure do piss on "our" players a lot.

Duchene2MacKinnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 06:39 PM
Sheet

vCash: 140
Zanon sucks. Now it all feels right.

Sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 06:44 PM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

vCash: 804
I think Brad Malone is lucky we have four injured forwards or he would have been placed in the dog house after two penalties last game.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:01 PM
IceyDice

The smart thing to do is lose and increase our chances of Jones. Hurting Detroits playoff chances would be pretty sweet though. Either way i'll be happy.

Also anyone figure out why Landeskog has been so bad lately?

IceyDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:05 PM
iceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceyDice View Post
The smart thing to do is lose and increase our chances of Jones. Hurting Detroits playoff chances would be pretty sweet though. Either way i'll be happy.

Your answer is Sacco... or bad linemates... or suffering from the concussion...

iceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:06 PM
IceyDice

Those sound like cop outs to me. And he's been playing with ROR.

Old
04-05-2013, 07:06 PM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

Quote:

I thought both Landeskog and O'Reilly were the best Avs players last game. Their line spent most of the game in the Preds zone.

The points will come.

Old
04-05-2013, 07:08 PM
IceyDice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I thought both Landeskog and O'Reilly were the best Avs players last game. Their line spent most of the game in the Preds zone.

The points will come.
Oh good. I missed that game. Is he getting his ferocity back?

Old
04-05-2013, 07:20 PM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

Quote:
It's was more cycling/protecting the puck than him running around hitting people all the time. But he was very effective. He still ends up a little bit too much on the outside and not enough in front of goal, but he's starting to drive to the net a bit more.

McLeod played well on that line too, even if he has a somewhat limited repertoire.

Old
04-05-2013, 07:21 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 125
Quote:
Not really. Hes trying this finesse im Peter Forsberg saucer pass thing lately. Too much East west crap for my liking from him this season Needs to take that puck hard to the net like he did last yr.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:22 PM
IceyDice

Welll maybe we're witnessing him trying to evolve his game. Earlier in the year it looked like he was focusing on his playmaking skills.

Old
04-05-2013, 07:24 PM
IceyDice

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
Not really. Hes trying this finesse im Peter Forsberg saucer pass thing lately. Too much East west crap for my liking from him this season Needs to take that puck hard to the net like he did last yr.
Hopefully its just some growing pains but he really needs to get back to his play last year. He's still young but like when he was drafted i'm doubting how high his ceiling is.

Old
04-05-2013, 07:33 PM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:

The standard answer in these parts, is to place 100% of a player's bad play at the feet of the coach or his linemates, but very rarely is it the responsibility of the player himself. Unless we're talking about Hunwick, of course

Feel free to rinse and repeat as necessary.

Seriously, your point is well taken. Landeskog hasn't been himself lately, but aside from 3 players, who has?

Last edited by ABasin: 04-05-2013 at 07:42 PM.
ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:34 PM
bohlmeister
Amazingly Randy

I have noticed that anytime Landy is carrying the puck he immediately shoots it into the corner and chases it. This is what Sacco wants every line to do. Landy is the captain, so he is following the general's orders. The problem is that his 2 linemates should be doing the work down low and he should be battling in front of the net getting open for shots.

edit - bahahahha. Look at AB's post then look at mine. LOL. In this case, I believe it is the truth. hahaha.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:42 PM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
I have noticed that anytime Landy is carrying the puck he immediately shoots it into the corner and chases it. This is what Sacco wants every line to do. Landy is the captain, so he is following the general's orders. The problem is that his 2 linemates should be doing the work down low and he should be battling in front of the net getting open for shots.

edit - bahahahha. Look at AB's post then look at mine. LOL. In this case, I believe it is the truth. hahaha.
Heh.

I was hoping to see growth in Landeskog's ability to use his teammates in the offensive zone this season. I'm not terribly worried about him though. Good player.

Old
04-05-2013, 07:46 PM
IceyDice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
The standard answer in these parts, is to place 100% of a player's bad play at the feet of the coach or his linemates, but very rarely is it the responsibility of the player himself. Unless we're talking about Hunwick, of course

Feel free to rinse and repeat as necessary.

Seriously, your point is well taken. Landeskog hasn't been himself lately, but aside from 3 players, who has?
Well Duchene took the next step, Pap has looked great, ROR's looking good, i've given up on Staz with Sacco as coach, Hejduk's age caught up with him, McGinn's played well he's just been off by a few inches on his shots, and Downie's been out the entire season. Really only Jones and Lando have taken steps back this season and i'm starting to think we're not as deep as I once believed after typing this.

I'll just assume Landy is going through growing pains learning what he can and can't do. His game has noticeably changed but I guess the cause is unknown for now until we get a new coach. Then we'll know if it was Sacco's fault or Landy's and right now i'm leaning towards the latter.

Old
04-05-2013, 07:48 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicianHishon View Post
You'd be in the minority. I still believe in EJ but no way do I take him 1st overall.
For this team I'd love to have another EJ to put next to EJ-classic. Would be huge for our defense. With those two, Hejda/Siemens - Barrie on the second pairing and O'Brien/Wilson - Elliott on the third pairing, and a real coach we'd have an excellent future on defense.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:51 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
Imagine an EJ - EJ pairing....
So Sexy on D, with Duchene-O'Reilly-Stastny down the middle in front of them and Varly behind, we'd be able to shut down even the elite offenses.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:56 PM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
Well Duchene took the next step, Pap has looked great, ROR's looking good, i've given up on Staz with Sacco as coach, Hejduk's age caught up with him, McGinn's played well he's just been off by a few inches on his shots, and Downie's been out the entire season. Really only Jones and Lando have taken steps back this season and i'm starting to think we're not as deep as I once believed after typing this.

I'll just assume Landy is going through growing pains learning what he can and can't do. His game has noticeably changed but I guess the cause is unknown for now until we get a new coach. Then we'll know if it was Sacco's fault or Landy's and right now i'm leaning towards the latter.
It's probably unrealistic to expect a roster to all concurrently take a step forward en masse, but I believe that there are only three players on the team who have consistently played up to their potential (or played consistently well, if you prefer) this season: Duchene, Parenteau, and McLeod.

Everyone else has had periodic turd moments (McGinn, Stastny, Varlamov, EJ), or have been outright turds all year (pretty big chunks of the defense and David Jones).

BTW, that McLeod comment may surprise some people, but while he's quite limited from a skill standpoint, that guy brings the same (albeit limited) game every single night. He plays the same every game. And for a depth forward, I find it acceptable.