Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Market Research Survey to gauge potential interest in WHL franchise in Winnipeg

Old
04-05-2013, 10:24 AM
ICdave

vCash: 500
Market Research Survey to gauge potential interest in WHL franchise in Winnipeg

Have you heard the news? WHL may be coming to town. True North conducting a survey of current and former MTS Centre and Winnipeg Jets customers.

What do you think? Would you buy tickets?

ICdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:27 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 714
Interesting that TNSE finally admits that the idea is there after they've said there were no plans whenever a story comes up.

I think the demand is there, question is will it affect demand for the Jets at all?

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:01 AM
winterpeg
Sharp Dressed Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Interesting that TNSE finally admits that the idea is there after they've said there were no plans whenever a story comes up.

I think the demand is there, question is will it affect demand for the Jets at all?
I don't think so. I think it taps into a seperate market. As a university student, I'm good for maybe 1 Jets game a year, but I'd consider buying seasons for a WHL team. ($500-$600ish a seat, split 2 seats between 4 people, that's a LOT of hockey for $300 or less) I think the Moose and the Jets are HALF of the same market, the people in winnipeg that just want to see the best possible hockey, but the other half is totally segregated by price, and those who could afford it and now can't at this level.

Anyway, I don't speak for everyone, but I'd buy whatever jets merch I usually would, and see as many jets games (1 or 2, hah) as I usually would in a season. I'd just watch more hockey.

winterpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:14 AM
almostawake

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post

Personally I cannot see it affecting demand for the Jets. As winterpeg said, it targets a different market.

I think the real dollars and cents question for TNSE is: Would WHL hockey be more profitable than the concert/event dates they would be giving up?

Last edited by almostawake: 04-05-2013 at 11:15 AM. Reason: spellingz
almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:22 AM
castle

vCash: 1000
survey asked what you'd 'consider' buying (singles, quarter, half, full season), or what you would 'definitely' buy. they're getting into your degree of commitment a bit. also ask what you're currently doing Jets wise IIRC. They also ask about price point in $5 increments as low as $5-$10. they ask how many kids you have, so are considering targeting families I presume. In the comments part, I suggested they offer package tickets for kids like the ones at CostCo for the movies (admission plus snack pack of popcorn, drinks and chocolate). They probably couldn't do it for $10.50 like Cineplex does, but cheap would be good.

castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:26 AM
castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostawake View Post
Personally I cannot see it affecting demand for the Jets. As winterpeg said, it targets a different market.

I think the real dollars and cents question for TNSE is: Would WHL hockey be more profitable than the concert/event dates they would be giving up?
WHL would probably fill weeknights and weekend matinees, woudln't it? They can still squeeze in a lot of concerts. if anything, they would drop things like the circus and low attendance events that currently play the small RBC theatre bowl. i don't think they lose the big events that bring in the really big bucks, as those are usually booked enough in advance to avoid a conflict and still get it in.

I'm still not sure it's a good idea, but a WHL team is probably pretty cheap to operate.

Old
04-05-2013, 11:32 AM
winterpeg
Sharp Dressed Man

Also worth noting, TNSE ran the best business of all AHL franchises. They know how to run a good-but-not NHL team and make good money, while putting a good product on the ice (moose were a perennially competitive team) at a price that people can afford to pay, with things like team packages, family packs, etc.

I think that's part of why they're keen to get in on this. They already know they're good at it.

And I don't think they give up concert dates to do it either. I think they put up a smaller rink than the MTS center. Because trying to jive a WHL schedule and the NHL one together would be a nightmare. PLUS if they eventually build a WHL rink, they can put smaller concerts there, too. We don't have a 4000 seat concert venue in this city. Burton Cummings is under 2000, and MTS center is 15000, 10000 (maybe it's 12000 but I don't know) if you block off the top bowl, and it looks empty in there when it's only half full, but a half full Lower bowl is the only option in Winnipeg for a 5000 seat performance venue.

winterpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:33 AM
Turbofan
Just shoot it Toby!!

vCash: 50
I'm interested. Hell I know it's not possible, but I wish the Jets played every day. I love watching the evening hockey games. I'd love another team to watch to fill the time between.

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:46 AM
Huffer

I know this isn't related to the question of viability or buying tickets, but it sure would be great to have direct viewings (and more WHL knowledge), of the players in the WHL on this board.

I don't know if everyone in the WHL plays at least once in every building (or if there is an East West thing), but if it was the former we could have seen our own guys (Lowry, Sutter, Yuen), as well as top prospects (Jones, Shinkaruk, Lazar, etc), in our own back yard instead of reading about them from other people here.

That would be nice.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:51 AM
TheDeuce

vCash: 367
I know that my interest would be a lot greater if some of the games were on TV. That was my biggest obstacle to becoming a major fan of the Moose. My issue is not ticket cost, it's available time. I simply don't have enough free time to attend more than a couple of games per month, be it Jets, Moose, or Warriors.

It's not easy to become a fanatic of a team you only get to watch twice a year.

m.

TheDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:00 PM
SCP Guy

They can use the Manitoba Moose name and save money on uniforms they have in storage

SCP Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:12 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
I know that my interest would be a lot greater if some of the games were on TV. That was my biggest obstacle to becoming a major fan of the Moose. My issue is not ticket cost, it's available time. I simply don't have enough free time to attend more than a couple of games per month, be it Jets, Moose, or Warriors.

It's not easy to become a fanatic of a team you only get to watch twice a year.

m.
They have live straming available. No clue as to the quality
http://whl.neulion.com/whl/

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:58 PM
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
\_(ツ)_/

Awards:
Did all ST holders get this survey?

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:16 PM
ahplk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I know this isn't related to the question of viability or buying tickets, but it sure would be great to have direct viewings (and more WHL knowledge), of the players in the WHL on this board.

I don't know if everyone in the WHL plays at least once in every building (or if there is an East West thing), but if it was the former we could have seen our own guys (Lowry, Sutter, Yuen), as well as top prospects (Jones, Shinkaruk, Lazar, etc), in our own back yard instead of reading about them from other people here.

That would be nice.
It's not just nice for us. You'd have to think a team in the 'dub would definitely help out our scouting team as well.

ahplk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:16 PM
ahplk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Did all ST holders get this survey?
Not I.

ahplk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:17 PM
truck

I enjoy WHL hockey more than AHL to be honest.

I didn't go to a ton of Moose games, but I'd go to some of these. Woukd be even more fun if there were Jets prospects in the lineup and I am sure that would happen from time to time.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:29 PM
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
\_(ツ)_/

Awards:
I indicated in the survey that I'd definitely commit to buying a mini-pack, and that I'd be looking for tickets in the $20.00-$24.99 per game range.

Old
04-05-2013, 01:35 PM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 777
I would be very interested as long as the kept prices similar to what say Brandon has for season tickets. 425 bucks for season tickets there. Here if it was around 500-600 a year I would be in for sure. That is roughly 14 to 19 dollars a game.

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:41 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahplk View Post
It's not just nice for us. You'd have to think a team in the 'dub would definitely help out our scouting team as well.
For sure, I was thinking that as well.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:46 PM
Jesus Christ Horburn

Depends on the price.

Jets tickets are a big deal in this city.

WHL tickets would be more in line with entertainment like going to the movies or going out for dinner ($15-20).

Jesus Christ Horburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:48 PM
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
\_(ツ)_/

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
I would be very interested as long as the kept prices similar to what say Brandon has for season tickets. 425 bucks for season tickets there. Here if it was around 500-600 a year I would be in for sure. That is roughly 14 to 19 dollars a game.
Thought I read somewhere that Brandon had among the cheapest STs in the CHL. Looking around at other WHL teams, $400-$700 for 36 games seems to be the price range, that's actually less than what I had figured was going rate for Jr. hockey tickets.

Old
04-05-2013, 01:48 PM
almostawake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
Ya, I was a holder for the Hitmen for a few years. I'd expect lower bowl, non-premium, seats to go for between $500 and $600.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:53 PM
castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostawake View Post
Ya, I was a holder for the Hitmen for a few years. I'd expect lower bowl, non-premium, seats to go for between $500 and $600.
On that note, I would expect the upper bowl to be closed.

Old
04-05-2013, 01:58 PM
cbcwpg

I answered the survey because I want some free tickets.

But in my responses I basically said if I'm putting all my money into the Jets I really can't afford more than the occasional WHL game. Nice idea, but I won't be a big spender.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:04 PM
dcypher

I like the idea!

Especially if we are able to see future prospects coming into town. Plus there are families that would love to bring everyone to a hockey game at an affordable price. Promised your date to a Jets game but didn't have tickets and not want to go see a movie? Go to a WHL game for the night, it's a great alternative.

dcypher is offline   Reply With Quote