*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2013 Off-Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2013, 04:14 PM
RayzorIsDull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
I havent forgotten a thing about the past years under the Hunter ownership/ management/ coaching gig. Have you?
Or are your standards for winning, the Memorial Cup champs or bust? As I said tough crowd.
League finals, overall reg season champs, Conf Champs, Numerous Div titles in the toughest division in the O by far, an unmatched # of 100 pt or 50 W seasons, as many top NHLers as almost any1, but again if the only criteria for success (or winning) is the Memorial Cup trophy, ya I guess your right.
When the Spits finally get past the Knights again in the POs and dont win the Cup I guees Boug and staff will have accomplished nothing. Look forward to your posts when that does happen
Division titles are nice but nobody is going to build their rep off division titles. After the Memorial Cup I believe Dale Hunter has only been to 1 OHL Final so that means he's only one the west 1 other time. The 100 point seasons and 50W seasons is like Red Wings having success but they actually won 4 Stanley Cups over the past 15-16 years. Right now with the Spits I just want competitive hockey.

Old
04-25-2013, 04:21 PM
aresknights

OK. So you want what Dales provided year in and year out as coach of the Knights. Gotcha.

Old
04-25-2013, 04:29 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
OK. So you want what Dales provided year in and year out as coach of the Knights. Gotcha.

Some London fans feel Dale can do no wrong. Game 7 loss to Guelph, swept against Peterborough, lose in 5 to Plymouth, Windsor, lose in 7 to Kitchener. I am of the opinion Dale Hunter has gotten too much mileage out of a Memorial Cup. Maybe it's because before the Hunter's came along London was horrible in hockey and never won a thing but isn't there a time when 9000 fans every game should expect more than 1 OHL title from him in 8 years? Of course maybe I expect too much Dale is the same guy who turned Ovechkin into a 4th line grinder.

Old
04-25-2013, 04:58 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post

Some London fans feel Dale can do no wrong. Game 7 loss to Guelph, swept against Peterborough, lose in 5 to Plymouth, Windsor, lose in 7 to Kitchener. .
The officials were incompetent in all those losses.

Old
04-25-2013, 05:06 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
The officials were incompetent in all those losses.
Thank goodness a lot of those series were very short.

Old
04-25-2013, 05:43 PM
OHLTG

Didn't Hunter take them to the Memorial Cup finals last year? I'd take that if I'm a London fan. Sure, they didn't win, but they weren't exactly up against an average team.

Old
04-25-2013, 07:10 PM
Sec108

Suprised no one brought up about Velluci getting fined.If I missed it my apologies.

Give the guy credit for having some balls and taking the financial hit for it.He must have known he would be fined by King Branch in his little fiefdom.I guess he doesnt like that TRUTH comes out sometimes.Hope Velluci gets the call to the AHL or asst. in the NHL and get out of this farce he coaches in.Alot of people finally getting it.

As for all the London conspiracies that posters laugh about.Im sure some of you can list more from the Saginaw series but the Kitts series brought a non interference call that resulted in a big goal and a no goal for Kitts as puck was in Stolarz glove inside the post.

Now officiating in Plymouth for London.

No conspiracies just coincidences since it's for London.the Hunters must be into the occult or something.

Twilight Zone theme music insert here.

Old
04-25-2013, 07:10 PM
Rubbers29

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Didn't Hunter take them to the Memorial Cup finals last year? I'd take that if I'm a London fan. Sure, they didn't win, but they weren't exactly up against an average team.
NO!!! Rayzor made it perfectly clear, that team that Dale helped put together, got into a regiment of how his teams run, got everyone to buy into the system from the beginning of the year, and kept at the top of the OHL point standings and CHL rankings until he left, doesn't count because he went to go coach in the NHL, he was clearly no part of their success, despite the fact that the team continued to play under his model for the rest of the year!

There has been consistanly competetive hockey out of London since the Hunters took over, I would challenge any fan to seriously say they would be upset if they're team had the Knights record over the past decade, every team Rayzor mentioned went on to win the OHL championship! you can add the 6 game loss to Owen Sound to that list too! the only dissapointing series mentioned was the Peterborough one where London didn't even show up! The series against Windsor was 5 overtime games! it sucks to lose that way but thats close hockey, a pourly coached team doesnt take the eventual Memorial cup champs to 5 overtimes in a row!

Of course there is going to be hatred in a rivalry, but there's repect too, I would never say Boughner is an overrated coach, he has the numbers to say other wise (minus this year, where i think it was a combination of the kids he had in place wouldn't mesh and play consistantly as a unit and some bad luck with injuries i.e. Koekkoek)

This is CHL hockey! that means in order to be considered successful by Razor, you have to Win your own league championship (same amount of wins needed to win the Stanley cup in the NHL) AND THEN beat both the other league champions and the host team, so basically beat 59 other teams, and you have to do it consistantly, like every 3-4 years, and you have to do it in a league that your really good players are usually gone the next year, so you have to rebuild, but if your "rebuilding team" only make the League finals, or their division finals, thats a fail, you're unsuccessful, stop being proud of them!
Is that about right?

Old
04-25-2013, 07:35 PM
Sec108

[QUOTE=Knights77;64630315]I think the reason why you take solice in the Knights losing in OT of the cup final, is to keep your thoughts and feelings away from how you feel about your own team. Feel free to discuss at your next session

It doesnt take away how I feel about my own team.Ive hated the Knights since Ramage,Riggin and Marsh.Does those names ring a bell for you???

Of coarse Im not happy with the Spits and the drafting and the coaching this year needs improvement.

My biggest disappointment is the league and how they have attacked Windsor not only the fans but the organization etc..And how its run.The terrible officiating in most games and the way officials seem to sway games.

Im a STH and paying big bucks can vent if I want to.I know alot of posters have said don't watch if I dont like it.And your right.My family is debating what to do for next season.Maybe we head to the the Joe with our $1500.Im sure we can get a nice pkg.If they want Spits tickets and see how things shakedown we'll get them this yr. and it may be our last.

Alot of STH are thinking this way haveing talked to them, just because theyre not yelling this in the corridor of the WFCU doesnt mean its Not being discussed.Fans are not happy with this league and the way its run and are going to show it with a nonrenewel.Im sure the league could care less about what fans think, esp. in Windsor.

Old
04-25-2013, 07:37 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec108 View Post

Twilight Zone theme music insert here.
Does it play in a loop inside your head?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec108 View Post

It doesnt take away how I feel about my own team.Ive hated the Knights since Ramage,Riggin and Marsh.Does those names ring a bell for you???
I've loved them since Nistico,Thomas and Maruk...remember them

I'm happy you're that adamant about your team. You should be...as should any true fan of any team.

Last edited by PhlyerPhanatic: 04-25-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old
04-25-2013, 08:09 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
Does it play in a loop inside your head?

I've loved them since Nistico,Thomas and Maruk...remember them

I'm happy you're that adamant about your team. You should be...as should any true fan of any team.

Leapin' Lou and Fu-Manchu Maruk!

Reg Thomas, Dennis Vervegaart(sp?) and Andy Spruce one of London best lines ever.

Old
04-26-2013, 06:58 AM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Division titles are nice but nobody is going to build their rep off division titles. After the Memorial Cup I believe Dale Hunter has only been to 1 OHL Final so that means he's only one the west 1 other time. The 100 point seasons and 50W seasons is like Red Wings having success but they actually won 4 Stanley Cups over the past 15-16 years. Right now with the Spits I just want competitive hockey.
Everyone is going to measure succes differently, and thats fine.
Trips to the Western Conference Final since it started in 98'99
LDN-8, PLY-5, KIT-5 WSR-4, SSM GUE ER OS-2, SAR SAG 0.

I don't think you have to wait long for Windsor success Rayzor...I'm sayin they make the playoffs next year and ARE competitive.....but I don't see a memorial cup in site any time soon, so if that is measure then ya...you're going to suck for a while

Old
04-26-2013, 08:28 AM
Ottomatic

Good thing London fans have nothing else to be focused on other than slumming here to argue about how brilliant their team and Hunter is.

Is the London thread so full that the overflow is coming here or is it so barren that London fans need to come here to have somebody to talk to?

Old
04-26-2013, 09:25 AM
aresknights

Quote:

Some London fans feel Dale can do no wrong. Game 7 loss to Guelph, swept against Peterborough, lose in 5 to Plymouth, Windsor, lose in 7 to Kitchener. I am of the opinion Dale Hunter has gotten too much mileage out of a Memorial Cup. Maybe it's because before the Hunter's came along London was horrible in hockey and never won a thing but isn't there a time when 9000 fans every game should expect more than 1 OHL title from him in 8 years? Of course maybe I expect too much Dale is the same guy who turned Ovechkin into a 4th line grinder.
I wa sonly responding to the Dale hasnt won a thing since 05.

Im not in the Dale can do no wrong camp. Not at all. Cant think of many Id rather have thou.
They got beat, maybe the other team was better and it wasnt Dales fault?
Yes Dales star is brighter here, in part because of where they were when they bought and where they are now. No doubt. Id agree with that
I think they had opportunity to win more than one but werent the best team those years (or they woulda won- no excuses) but one could also look at the GM for not getting enough talent/ the right mix or whatever. Coach and GM share the blame not just coach. And sometimes others are better no biggie.
Ovechkin-- well they did have a more successful PO than expected with Dale at the helm.

I really think Spits/ Knights group have followed a similar path. Both bought poorly run organizations. Both came out quick, utilizing all resources and had huge work ethics. Both rose to the top quickly. A couple years after winning the Knights took a step back for a couple years and have resurfaced as contenders. The Spits are having their couple down years and if the management get backs to what made them winners theyll be contending soon enough.
MAybe after winning so quick both took it a little for granted? I dunno

Last edited by aresknights: 04-26-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old
04-26-2013, 09:26 AM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Good thing London fans have nothing else to be focused on other than slumming here to argue about how brilliant their team and Hunter is.

Is the London thread so full that the overflow is coming here or is it so barren that London fans need to come here to have somebody to talk to?
Its definitely not the overflow

Old
04-26-2013, 03:30 PM
scokan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post

i was thinking the samething otto, the spits thread seems to be the place to be for the knights fans

Old
04-26-2013, 03:40 PM
RayzorIsDull

I apologize I can't help but feel some of this is my responsibility. I will try not to poke the bear in the future or the troll in some instances. Of course it would help if some individuals weren't so welcoming to others in clear trolling attempts.

Old
04-26-2013, 04:31 PM
aresknights

Quote:
I apologize I can't help but feel some of this is my responsibility.
Me as well, I maybe shouldnt have responded to a few of the posts I disagreed with on the Spits board.

Not sure if you were joking or not in the second part

Old
04-26-2013, 04:38 PM
Snippit

Quote:

You just listed the teams that eliminated the Knights in the past 7-8 years. Every time we make the playoffs and don't win, there will be a series loss somewhere...

Although he limited Ovechkin, he also took a 10th place team into 7th, knocked off the defending cup champs and took the 1st seed to 7 games. He must have done something right.

No, Dale can make mistakes. But I do think he's one of the premier coaches in the O (just like Boug).

Old
04-26-2013, 04:42 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
I apologize I can't help but feel some of this is my responsibility. I will try not to poke the bear in the future or the troll in some instances. Of course it would help if some individuals weren't so welcoming to others in clear trolling attempts.
You're allowed to say my name

It's not that I'm welcoming, it's just that I'm not 10 and I really don't care if they come over here. I like the interaction, even if it's a good debate. It's better than talking about how our 14th rounder might pan out or how a Spitfire looked at someone wrong downtown and starting a new discussion on that

Quote:
Not sure if you were joking or not in the second part
Knowing Rayzor, he's not...at least I don't think he is.

Old
04-26-2013, 05:31 PM
youngblood10

Quote:
You're allowed to say my name

It's not that I'm welcoming, it's just that I'm not 10 and I really don't care if they come over here. I like the interaction, even if it's a good debate. It's better than talking about how our 14th rounder might pan out or how a Spitfire looked at someone wrong downtown and starting a new discussion on that
Next topic should OHLTG keep his lovin' with everything Knights quiet or should the rest of the Spits fans who bleed Spitfire colours except him for cheering the team Spits fans are given the birth right to hate?

Just playing OHLTG your Knights friends would give you a wedgy if you said anything bad about their Knights so I understand.

Old
04-26-2013, 05:49 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood10 View Post
Next topic should OHLTG keep his lovin' with everything Knights quiet or should the rest of the Spits fans who bleed Spitfire colours except him for cheering the team Spits fans are given the birth right to hate?

Just playing OHLTG your Knights friends would give you a wedgy if you said anything bad about their Knights so I understand.
Is this where I'm supposed to say "London is evil"? I know, it's strange...a Spits fan who doesn't completely detest everything London.

I'm a Leafs fan with friends who are Wings fans. Is that not allowed, either? Oh, and I'm a Tigers fan who has friends who are Yankees and Boston fans.

I just want to make sure it's okay with you guys if I socialize with other people besides my own team Hold on, I think I have a permission slip from grade school around here somewhere...

Old
04-27-2013, 05:55 AM
cfaub

Some of these conversations between thre different fanbases are simply hilarious.

I wonder how many people on here have actually played any sport at a competitive level and realize that most of these players/owners etc. must laugh at how some of the fans feel about each other and other teams.

I know playing travel hockey growing up we left it on the ice, played the game but afterwards we would be in the lobby, talking and hanging out with the same kids we played and fought against just a few minutes before.

"Fans" can't let go though. They take it personal so that they can find some way to connect themselves to the team, have something to hold onto and find a reason to "hate" someone else.

It's a wannabe gang mentality that is pretty funny at times.

Half the fun of being a fan should be to have someone who is a fan of another team to rub it into when you win and then to suffer the consequences of being on the other end when you lose.

To be able to hang out with someone, have a drink or two with them while you debate your respective teams makes for a good time when you're winning and can still be a good time even when you lose.

As for the conspiracy theories out there... give it a break.

Branch is a lot of things but to try to set up one team as the be all end all of the league will eventually lead to the league itself disappearing. If you think he has London as his favourite team then you need to realize that without the other 19 teams he has no league and in the end no well paying job.

If he were that much against the rest of the league do you not think the rest of the owners would get rid of him?

He doesn't own the league, he works for it. He is paid to run the league on behalf of the owners who own the different franchises. He is supposed to be the businessman of the league while the owners are the investors. They want a return on their investment and count on him to supply it.

He may not come across as the smartest hockey person but the owners obviously support what and how he is doing things since all he is really doing is enforcing the rules that the owners have set.

If he had the fix in for London year after year then I think 19 other owners would fire him pretty quickly.

As for the Spits themselves, this organization is quickly becoming very similar to Riolo in how they are handling things.

We have all ripped on Riolo in the past and how poor he did things but this group, with all that has gone on seems to still be getting a pass on many of the problems surrounding the team.

There is a lack of accountability at all levels and while things may happen beyond the owners control at times there does not seem to be any urgency to handling it properly.

I've refrained from commenting much this past season and what I have been ranting about is why.

The organization has become somewhat questionable in how they have done things.

Some of the fans seem more interested in rehashing the same old things, good or bad and the conversation has become quite boring at times.

This team needs an overhaul, off the ice the organization needs to refocus on what they are doing, on the ice they need a few more kids that want to be there instead of simply expecting to be there. The entitlement attitude appears to go from top to bottom.

This team is not deserving of hosting the Memorial Cup, they don't have the product and the off ice issues certainly reflect poorly on the entire organization.

They have a few more years of sanctions and until those are done with they should not even consider bidding on hosting. They should focus on rebuilding the on ice and off ice product and regain some respectability at all levels.

Old
04-27-2013, 07:27 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Quote:

I'm a Leafs fan with friends who are Wings fans. .
You're a Leafs Fan

It's over man...OVER!!

Old
04-27-2013, 09:00 AM
etr102

Hey all, really stupid question that I should know the answer to. Long story, I won't waste time on details unless somebody is really curious.

Who was the most recent Spitfire player to wear #55?

Obviously Young was the most memorable in recent years. Then there was Locke, but I'm sure there have been 1 or 2 people who have worn #55 since Locke.

Closed Thread