*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2013 Off-Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2013, 02:13 PM
coachfluffy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
I'm surprised people go on message board and post things as facts without 100 percent knowledge that they are true. This is read by the public, the players have no idea who anyone is, and have no ability to challenge those spreading rumours about them. It is what it is, but the standards what what is posted should be higher.
The person that gave me the info has been right almost all the time and passed on the thinking of the management towards the injury. I will continue to believe what they tell me. Others on here have stated they have heard the same as I did in regards to the injury. Not 100% sure I was dead wrong but, as I said, I appologise if I was.

Old
05-09-2013, 02:24 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachfluffy View Post
The person that gave me the info has been right almost all the time and passed on the thinking of the management towards the injury. I will continue to believe what they tell me. Others on here have stated they have heard the same as I did in regards to the injury. Not 100% sure I was dead wrong but, as I said, I appologise if I was.
That fact that your not sure if you where right suggests maybe it shouldn't have been posted online for all to read? Players shouldn't have to read that sort of stuff on message boards. As I stated, they have no way to delete it, they have to live with it.

Old
05-09-2013, 02:35 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec108 View Post
Im anticipating WR will be next after Kerby has left for the AHL.
If all things are equal I think you'll see WR out of here before Kerby turns pro. Once the OHL final is finished (and it could be as early as this weekend) the OHL will name the 2014 host, probably before next Wed. If as expected it's not the Spits; changes will surely happen before long....

If things go according to Hoyle the Spits will begin the rebuilding process after the Memorial Cup. Kerby already has his destiny set in stone and his value as a trading chip won't get any higher. If WR is still the GM it will put him in a position of doing what's best for the team as well as placing his son in a favorable position with a contender.

The question still is, does the majority owner want to remain in charge of a rebuilding franchise for a few years or will he attempt to divest himself of the team when it's value is at a high point.

As WR is only a 10% owner of the Spitfires his share would be much easier to move than BB's. If WR does sell his shares I wouldn't be surprised if he remains GM until a better opportunity in the Pro's emerges.

I haven't heard yet whether the new Ownership group only picked up 15% from Dobrich or if as previously speculated they also picked up 15% from BB, however if BB's majority shares do go up for sale you'd expect the Savage group probably has 1st option on them as part of today's deal.

Old
05-09-2013, 02:40 PM
RayzorIsDull

This is what Boughner said.

Its a substantial part, said Boughner, who still holds a majority controlling stake in the franchise purchased back in 2006 although he would not reveal financial details of the sale.

Old
05-09-2013, 05:40 PM
punch1943

Quote:
That fact that your not sure if you where right suggests maybe it shouldn't have been posted online for all to read? Players shouldn't have to read that sort of stuff on message boards. As I stated, they have no way to delete it, they have to live with it.
If a poster on a message board knew 100% that everything he posted and everything he heard was true you wouldn't find very much posted at all. A tremendous amount of the posts are based on info from normally reliable sources, rumors, suppositions,hunches and educated guesses.

Players shouldn't have to read that sort of stuff on message boards. As I stated, they have no way to delete it, they have to live with it.

However they are not forced to join the boards or to read the posts. If you believe everything you read on one of these boards or for that matter everything printed in the local rag then you have a serious problem. IMHO

Old
05-09-2013, 08:13 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
If a poster on a message board knew 100% that everything he posted and everything he heard was true you wouldn't find very much posted at all. A tremendous amount of the posts are based on info from normally reliable sources, rumors, suppositions,hunches and educated guesses.

Players shouldn't have to read that sort of stuff on message boards. As I stated, they have no way to delete it, they have to live with it.

However they are not forced to join the boards or to read the posts. If you believe everything you read on one of these boards or for that matter everything printed in the local rag then you have a serious problem. IMHO
Appreciate that. It would have to be a perfect world. Never will happen, doesn't stop us to shoot for it thou. That said, doesn't stop me from holding people accountable for that type of information. If you think that players should be subject to slanderous hearsay presented as fact, then so be it, but I don't. Doesn't matter if its 'believable' or not, its out there, and someone may believe it.

Its not that players are on here, its that they're friends and family are. A simple google search and something can come up. It can stick with them as well. That family and that player don't have the opportunity to challenge those who post, due to the relative anonymity of this site, and others.

Back when I was a coach, a player (12 at the time) was subject to online bullying by a parent on another team. He quit hockey, a game he loved, because of it. The parent was eventually found out, thanks to some friends of mine who happened to have knowledge of the situation. Thankfully the parent of the player had the opportunity to confront the parent who was bullying, but that's not always the case. To my knowledge that player needed counselling, its tough to have someone attack you online, worse when you can't at least face your accuser. Id hate to have someone speculate about me by name online unfairly, especially if I couldn't at least know who was posting. That poster knows my name, but I have no idea who they are. I personally could post countless stories that I hear in rinks, but I don't, because I'm not sure if its the truth, and it could damage others. That's not my game, maybe its others. I have absolutely no idea what the motivation would be to post speculative hearsay as fact, even if you are 'pretty confident' that its the truth.

Post whatever you want, end of the day there is nothing anyone can do, but just remember that there can be repercussions (both legal and emotional) for the poster and the person subject to said post. The recent Brian Burke lawsuit (there are countless others as well) show that there are starting to be ramifications.

Old
05-09-2013, 08:35 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Appreciate that. It would have to be a perfect world. Never will happen, doesn't stop us to shoot for it thou. That said, doesn't stop me from holding people accountable for that type of information. If you think that players should be subject to slanderous hearsay presented as fact, then so be it, but I don't. Doesn't matter if its 'believable' or not, its out there, and someone may believe it.

Its not that players are on here, its that they're friends and family are. A simple google search and something can come up. It can stick with them as well. That family and that player don't have the opportunity to challenge those who post, due to the relative anonymity of this site, and others.

Back when I was a coach, a player (12 at the time) was subject to online bullying by a parent on another team. He quit hockey, a game he loved, because of it. The parent was eventually found out, thanks to some friends of mine who happened to have knowledge of the situation. Thankfully the parent of the player had the opportunity to confront the parent who was bullying, but that's not always the case. To my knowledge that player needed counselling, its tough to have someone attack you online, worse when you can't at least face your accuser. Id hate to have someone speculate about me by name online unfairly, especially if I couldn't at least know who was posting. That poster knows my name, but I have no idea who they are. I personally could post countless stories that I hear in rinks, but I don't, because I'm not sure if its the truth, and it could damage others. That's not my game, maybe its others. I have absolutely no idea what the motivation would be to post speculative hearsay as fact, even if you are 'pretty confident' that its the truth.

Post whatever you want, end of the day there is nothing anyone can do, but just remember that there can be repercussions (both legal and emotional) for the poster and the person subject to said post. The recent Brian Burke lawsuit (there are countless others as well) show that there are starting to be ramifications.
It's about one pumping up their own ego. Most people don't consciously do it, but it's human nature to want to feel important. The repercussions are nothing more than an after thought.

It's the downside to online anonymity. The lack of accountability that comes with "face to face" interactions isn't present so people have no fear of what they say (post).

Old
05-09-2013, 08:44 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
It's about one pumping up their own ego. Most people don't consciously do it, but it's human nature to want to feel important. The repercussions are nothing more than an after thought.

It's the downside to online anonymity. The lack of accountability that comes with "face to face" interactions isn't present so people have no fear of what they say (post).
I couldn't have said it better. Thanks for articulating it better than I could have.

Old
05-09-2013, 09:20 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
It's about one pumping up their own ego. Most people don't consciously do it, but it's human nature to want to feel important.
I guess one could then say the same thing about folks who like to tell everybody they know what really happened, but then refuse to divulge. I mean if you don't want to spread what you know - why bring up that you know in the first place?

Old
05-09-2013, 09:27 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
I guess one could then say the same thing about folks who like to tell everybody they know what really happened, but then refuse to divulge. I mean if you don't want to spread what you know - why bring up that you know in the first place?
Na, that sadly was necessary due to, once again, irresponsible speculation. Had names never been thrown out, wouldn't have said a word. Same issue thou. We've been through that 6, or maybe 7 times, not sure the point of an 8th time.

I invited you to PM me for further discussion. Never got one thou. Once again, feel free, happy to meet up next time I'm in Windsor and have a discussion face to face.

Anyways, back on point (because honestly, no one cares about me) Ill never understand the need to present speculation as fact, especially when its going to hurt that players reputation.

If you have an opinion on a player, have at it, but to post something as factual, when you aren't sure, that's pretty irresponsible.

Last edited by Tigers1992: 05-09-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old
05-09-2013, 10:30 PM
etr102

Expressing opinions and speculating on possibilities is what message boards are all about. However, passing these opinions off as fact should never happen.

For example. Saying "Player X is unhappy and faking an injury" should not happen.

Saying "I think that player X may be unhappy and I think he may be faking an injury" should be perfectly fair game.

I might not be overly active on forums these days, but this has aways been how forums work. I've been debating and conversing on message boards since the BBS days on my old Commodore 64 in the 80s, to Newgroups in the 90s, and finally web based forums over the last 15 years and the common theme is that they have always been about stating opinions and debating them. It's only when speculation/opinion is masqueraded as fact that I get annoyed.

Old
05-09-2013, 10:39 PM
RayzorIsDull

I think Fluffy is getting the short end of the stick, he took responsibility and said he made a mistake.

Old
05-10-2013, 08:19 AM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Na, that sadly was necessary due to, once again, irresponsible speculation. Had names never been thrown out, wouldn't have said a word. Same issue thou. We've been through that 6, or maybe 7 times, not sure the point of an 8th time.

I invited you to PM me for further discussion. Never got one thou. Once again, feel free, happy to meet up next time I'm in Windsor and have a discussion face to face.
By the bike racks at 3pm?

You readily co-sign the sentiment that people talk here to "pump their own ego" and feel important when they pass off what they hear through the grapevine but don't think somebody posting "I know something you don't know" is doing essentially the exact same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etr102 View Post
Expressing opinions and speculating on possibilities is what message boards are all about. However, passing these opinions off as fact should never happen.

For example. Saying "Player X is unhappy and faking an injury" should not happen.

Saying "I think that player X may be unhappy and I think he may be faking an injury" should be perfectly fair game.

I might not be overly active on forums these days, but this has aways been how forums work. I've been debating and conversing on message boards since the BBS days on my old Commodore 64 in the 80s, to Newgroups in the 90s, and finally web based forums over the last 15 years and the common theme is that they have always been about stating opinions and debating them. It's only when speculation/opinion is masqueraded as fact that I get annoyed.
This is exactly right. Only one person here professes to have unquestioned connections. Everybody else offers up rink chatter from somebody they know who has a link to inner workings in some capacity or another. I haven't seen anybody offer anything up than hearsay here - which would never be allowed in a court of law because it's unreliable and you take it with a grain of salt.

This is a message board, not a newspaper. Most people understand that.

Old
05-10-2013, 02:37 PM
OHLTG

I can see both sides of this.

While it's only a message board and shouldn't be taken too seriously sometimes, people do come on here for information at times. You never know who's reading, so posting false information without saying "this is what I've heard" may not go over well. Frankly, I don't like posting trade or injury information unless I'm certain that something actually happened or is about to happen. Reminds me of a situation years ago where I was literally called by a source and told "post this!" They knew who I was online (not here) and wanted to get the word out. It was as done as you can get. Turns out, though, something happened at the very last second that nobody saw coming and Windsor lost out. Life happens.

Old
05-10-2013, 03:40 PM
hockeylegend11

Was told only 3 OHL teams had people scouting the under 18 tourney in Russia,
Windsor,Barrie and London,surprised about London seeing as the new rule re imports
from what i have been will be implemented,meaniing u cant trade pick or player selected

Old
05-10-2013, 04:54 PM
aresknights

As a Knights fan Im glad they have a presence there, new rules or not. It pays in the long run to do your homework. Even with no trades theyll make a selection or two and better it be an informed one than not. Id love to see Matta and Zad back but things can and do happen. Make the show earlier than expected, trade one of them, injury in off season whatever.

HL, have they finalized the rule change as yet? I know there was discussion ealrier but I either missed the confirmation of no trades or it didnt happen. To let GMs properly do they jobs they should have been informed by now, no?

Old
05-10-2013, 05:02 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
As a Knights fan Im glad they have a presence there, new rules or not. It pays in the long run to do your homework. Even with no trades theyll make a selection or two and better it be an informed one than not. Id love to see Matta and Zad back but things can and do happen. Make the show earlier than expected, trade one of them, injury in off season whatever.

HL, have they finalized the rule change as yet? I know there was discussion ealrier but I either missed the confirmation of no trades or it didnt happen. To let GMs properly do they jobs they should have been informed by now, no?
Aresknights

From what I have been told the OHL has approved the changes and the other 2 are
expected to do so
Dumb rule I think if implemented
If indeed implemented I doubt London makes a selection

Old
05-10-2013, 05:04 PM
OHLTG

I don't get why the rule would even be considered. If I have my info right, and a team selects a player, that player is either with that team for a year...or they go home?

Old
05-10-2013, 05:06 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
I don't get why the rule would even be considered. If I have my info right, and a team selects a player, that player is either with that team for a year...or they go home?
Thats my understanding as well,like I said a dumb rule,especially for a team like
Sudbury who have 2 95 guys but now would not be wise to draft somebody
Ironically from what i hear Sudbury voted for the rule change stupid

Old
05-10-2013, 05:25 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Thats my understanding as well,like I said a dumb rule,especially for a team like
Sudbury who have 2 95 guys but now would not be wise to draft somebody
Ironically from what i hear Sudbury voted for the rule change stupid
What bothers me about it is that if a team drafts a kid, and it's clear the kid is adjusting well to the league, but there's an off-ice issue, now he can't go anywhere but back home? We're not talking about 25-30 year olds who can adjust to life in a different city at a quicker rate, but a kid who's probably never been outside his city, let alone his country...or even, in this case, his continent.

Old
05-10-2013, 06:01 PM
Ottomatic

If you have two imports and end up with a high pick - you're basically forced to trade one of your current ones to maximize your assets and make the pick. Not to mention bringing over imports is expensive - some teams would rather not take on such an expense in instead trade the pick for NA players/picks.

Old
05-10-2013, 09:20 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Aresknights

From what I have been told the OHL has approved the changes and the other 2 are
expected to do so
Dumb rule I think if implemented
If indeed implemented I doubt London makes a selection
Hopefully the other two leagues tell Branch to bag his *ss and then he'll have to drop the idea. If I understand things correctly Windsor with two picks in round 1 would be unable to TRADE their 2nd round pick (if they still have it). What a waste!

Old
05-10-2013, 09:31 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
Hopefully the other two leagues tell Branch to bag his *ss and then he'll have to drop the idea. If I understand things correctly Windsor with two picks in round 1 would be unable to TRADE their 2nd round pick (if they still have it). What a waste!
I believe they traded the 2nd rd pick to Niagara in the Kuhnhacal trade

Old
05-11-2013, 08:36 AM
scokan

^^^
they did trade it

Old
05-11-2013, 07:07 PM
ForestGlade
Paja Tipo Sombrero

vCash: 450